Wednesday 24 April 2019

RCCGB Woodathon 2018

Date: Saturday 6 October to Sunday 7 October 2018
Venue: Alton Towers and Drayton Manor Park
Who Went: Me and a large number of other RCCGB members, including Andy and Christine Hine, Adey and Katelyn Hikin, Kellie, Ann Morgan, Brian, Barry Frost, Derek and Saffron Eddy, Martin Spruce, Michael Argent Lord, Robert Nutter, Ryan Hackett, Stevie Bee.

DISCLAIMER: The above is NOT intended to be an exhaustive list of everyone who attended. It's a small sample of attendees; mainly those I spoke to and/or rode with at Drayton Manor Park. I sincerely apologise to anyone else who was at either or both Parks and I've not listed. Not everyone, whether or not listed above, attended both Parks.

Introduction
The RCCGB's annual two-day autumn event to mark the end of the coaster season: Alton Towers on the Saturday and Drayton Manor Park on the Sunday. For several years, this trip has been called Loopathon, but in the light of plans to ride the new wooden coaster, Wicker Man at Alton Towers on the Saturday, this trip was renamed Woodathon for this year. Whether or not the name will revert to Loopathon next year is currently uncertain. Just like all previous years, members had the choice of attending either or both days; for various reasons I attended Drayton Manor Park only. This was my sixth time of attending Loopathon / Woodathon day 2 (Drayton Manor Park), and my eighth Loopathon / Woodathon overall since joining the RCCGB in March 2005.

To make the rest of this report easier to read, I've split it into sections. Click the applicable link below to jump to the section you want to read:

Day 1 - Saturday 6 October 2018
Day 2 - Sunday 7 October 2018
Outro

Enjoy my report at your leisure.

Back to the top

Day 1 - Saturday 6 October 2018
The first day of Woodathon 2018 the RCCGB visited Alton Towers; the day included an ERS on Wicker Man from 09:15 to 10:00, and a lunch (which included a talk and Q&A session from Wayne Burton and Gaz Morris) in the Corporate Hospitality Suite at 12:30. For various reasons, I gave day one a miss. The following outlines how I spent Saturday.

Getting to Tamworth
Since I wasn't attending Woodathon day 1 (Alton Towers), I set off for the Midlands Saturday morning. I caught the 09:02 train from Bath Spa to Bristol Temple Meads, followed by the 09:30 train from Bristol Temple Meads to Tamworth.

Saturday Early Afternoon
When I reached Tamworth at 12:18, I walked to the town centre to get some lunch somewhere. I ended up going to The Kitchen, Marmion Street, Tamworth, where I had a jacket potato with chilli and a regular Americano. Having finished my lunch, I caught the 13:43 Arriva Midlands Sapphire bus from Corporation Street to Fazeley Lichfield Street. From there I walked to, and checked into The Plough Fazeley, where I stayed overnight. Around 14:50 I wanted to go Snowdome for the rest of the afternoon, so I walked to Tamworth Road bus stop. Having waited about 15 to 20 minutes with no bus in sight, I eventually gave up waiting and walked to Snowdome. Luckily, I was able to find my way there using Google Maps on my smartphone.

Snowdome
As well as an ice rink and several snow activities, this has a 25-metre main swimming pool, a separate small pool and one water slide. I got to Snowdome about 15 minutes before the start of the 16:00 flume and inflatable session, which I had booked for the previous evening. Having changed, I spent almost all of the 90-minute session on the one water slide. The queue length for the water slide varied considerably, sometimes almost down to the mid-way landing, and sometimes only one or two bathers in front of me. At one point, there was no-one else in front of me for 3 consecutive goes. Altogether I ended up having 37 goes on the water slide. The slide closed a few minutes before the pool closed (and hence the session ended) at 17:30; I filled those last few minutes by swimming 3 lengths of the main pool. Altogether a wet and wild way to fill up 90 minutes of Saturday afternoon in Tamworth.

Rest of Saturday
Having left Snowdome, I went to get myself a meal somewhere in Tamworth town centre. I ended up going to The Penny Black pub. Once seated, I took my time looking at the menu to decide what I wanted to eat. Eventually I chose Chicken Kiev, served with chips and peas. Of course, a meal is not complete without a dessert, so I had sticky toffee pudding, served with custard, for dessert. In addition, I had a pint of John Smiths Extra Smooth to drink with my meal. Altogether a delicious meal. When I left The Penny Black, I walked straight to Corporation Street where I caught the 20:13 Arriva Midlands Sapphire bus to Lichfield Street, Fazeley. Having left the bus ten minutes later, I immediately walked to The Plough Fazeley and relaxed in my room the rest of the evening.

Back to the top

Day 2 - Sunday 7 October 2018
Woodathon 2018 continued Sunday 7 October 2018 at Drayton Manor Park, and I was glad to be there.

Sunday First Thing
I awoke at 06:45, got ready and had breakfast at 08:00. For breakfast I had a full English breakfast and a mug of coffee. Having finished my breakfast, I walked to Drayton Manor Park; it took me about 15 minutes to walk from the front door of The Plough Fazeley to Drayton Manor Hotel. It was sunny at the time, albeit somewhat chilly.

Welcome to Drayton Manor Park
When I arrived around 08:55, Woodathon attendees were in the Park View Suite, within Drayton Manor Hotel, awaiting entry. A slide show of pictures, taken at RCCGB trips over the past 30 years, was being projected on one wall. My biggest concern, still on my mind, was arranging a lift to a suitable railway station in the evening, and where to put my large bag during the day. Unfortunately, I was unable to arrange a lift before the morning ERS, so for now I left my large bag in the Park View Suite. Just before the Club was due to enter the Park, Nev gave a short speech; among other items he said there were free souvenir mugs (bearing the Woodathon logo and date of this visit) on one table in the room for us to take, one per person. The Club entered the Park at 09:33.

Apocalypse ERS
The day began with an ERS on the 54 metres tall drop tower Apocalypse. When fully operational, there are three ride options: sit down, stand up with floor, stand up no floor. The last few years, stand up no floor has been unavailable, but thankfully it was working this time. Naturally, I wanted to try all three ride options this time. I began with the easy option: sit down; the freefall drop was quite scary. Next, I tried the stand up with floor option; the drop was considerably more frightening in the standing position. After that, I was really eager to try the stand up no floor option; the lack of a floor, beneath my feet, made the ride even scarier still. Having now tried all three ride options once each, I had time for five more goes during the rest of the ERS: stand up with floor, stand up no floor, stand up with floor, stand up no floor (twice without leaving and re-entering between them). At 10:29 an announcement was made, stating that the morning ERS was officially over.

Summary of my rides on Apocalypse this ERS: Sit down 1, Stand up with floor 3, Stand up no floor 4. Did anyone beat me on that?

Morning Freetime
The rides across the whole park opened at 10:30. Several RCCGB members headed towards Maelstrom for a takeover. However, I rode a series of other rides instead, starting with the swinging inverter ride Pandemonium. Swinging forwards, backwards and over the top was great fun, but once was enough for me. Next. I approached Flying Dutchman, which was in pieces at the time of Loopathon 2016, but was reassembled and back in action for the 2017 season, and continued operating throughout the 2018 season. I had one go on Flying Dutchman, in boat 15. My first coaster ride of the day was Accelerator. This Vekoma Family Boomerang 185m began operating at Drayton Manor Park under the name Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission in April 2011. At the start of the 2017 season, it was renamed Accelerator. Although the arcade was given a motor racing themed makeover at the time, the boomerang style coaster itself gives just the same ride experience as before. This time I had just one go, in the fourth row. As I continued around the Park, I had one go on the Bounty Pirate Ship, followed by one go on the stand-up coaster Shockwave. After that, I donned my cagoule and leggings for one go on Stormforce 10. Mighty splashes occurred during the two drops. Having removed my cagoule and leggings, my final ride before lunch was Maelstrom. Although a fun and enjoyable ride, once was enough for me; no way could I take two goes straight off!

Lunch at Park View Suite
At 12:30 members went to the Park View Suite, at Drayton Manor Hotel, for lunch; however, I got there a little later. A wide assortment of food was available; most of which was served by the staff behind the table. For main course, I had egg fried rice, a meat dish, a noodle dish, fried vegetables and some side salad. The dessert was a tiny scoop of sorbet, accompanied with fruit chunks. Altogether this was a delicious and filling two-course meal. Afterwards, Chairman Colin Bryan spoke about various park matters, including the current state of G-Force. A raffle was also held. Once lunch was over, I was able to leave my big bag at the hotel's left luggage facility during the afternoon, even though I hadn't stayed there the previous night.

Afternoon Freetime
At 14:15 I returned to the Park and resumed riding. I began with Sheriff's Showdown (formerly Wild West Shoot Out until 2017). Unlike the last two years, when I rode it alone, I shared a car with Brian; I sat in the front, whereas he was in the back. Both of us tried shooting the targets along the way around. Sometimes I successfully got the target light to illuminate and thus scored points, but there were several occasions when the target light failed to illuminate and I scored no points. My final score was 5700 points, and Brian's score was 7000 points. This was my only go on Sheriff's Showdown all day. Thereafter, I went around the Park alone. I rode the Drunken Barrels next. These work in a similar manner to a tea cup ride, albeit on an angle, which was a weird ride sensation to say the least! Once was enough for me. My first coaster ride of the afternoon was Buffalo Coaster, the oldest coaster currently operating at Drayton Manor Park. I had to wait a few runs to get on it, but it was worth the wait. Due to the waiting time, I limited myself to one go on Buffalo Coaster. Afterwards I had one go on Jolly Buccaneer (boat 12); whilst riding it, I spotted Derek and Saffron Eddy, and Barry Frost elsewhere on it. Having left Jolly Buccaneer, I went to Lakeside Teashop for a much-needed coffee. Finally, I went into Thomas Land where I had time to ride Jeremy Jet's Flying Academy, James and the Red Balloon, Harold's Helicopter Tours, Rocking Bulstrode and Cranky's Tower Drop once each before the rides closed at 17:00.

Evening ERS
Now that the Park had officially closed, the Club had exclusive use of Shockwave and Troublesome Trucks for an hour. I began by having four goes on the stand-up coaster Shockwave; my second of which was in the front row. Afterwards I was determined to have a few goes on Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster, in Thomas Land, as I missed this during normal opening time; I ended up having five goes on this during what was left of the ERS.

Summary of my rides this ERS: Shockwave 4, Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster 5. Did anyone beat me on that?

Final Send-Off
When the ERS ended, members reunited near the Carousel for the final send-off. Once everyone was present, members formed a circle for a variation of Hokey Cokey. At the end, first timers were called into the centre to form a small circle, facing outwards, for the group hug. This officially marked the end of the 2018 coaster season; at least as far as RCCGB trips are concerned. Finally, everyone headed out of Drayton Manor Park; I spoke to Adey on the way out. Back at the car park, members said their last goodbyes before heading home.

Summary of my day in order of activity

Apocalypse ERS
Sit down
Stand up with floor
Stand up no floor
Stand up with floor
Stand up no floor
Stand up with floor
Stand up no floor (twice without recirculating)

Morning free time:
Pandemonium 1
Flying Dutchman 1
Accelerator 1
The Bounty Pirate Ship 1
Shockwave 1
Stormforce 10 1
Maelstrom 1

Lunch (including speech from Colin Bryan, Chairman)

Afternoon free time:
Sheriff's Showdown 1
Drunken Barrels 1
Buffalo Coaster 1
Jolly Buccaneer 1

Coffee at Lakeside Teashop

Jeremy Jet's Flying Academy 1
James and the Red Balloon 1
Harold's Helicopter Tours 1
Rocking Bulstrode 1
Cranky's Tower Drop 1

Evening ERS
Shockwave 4
Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster 5

Hokey cokey and group hug

Cumulative Summary of My Rides (ERSs and Freetime Combined)

Ride
Total
Accelerator
1
Apocalypse
8
Buffalo Coaster
1
Cranky's Tower Drop
1
Drunken Barrels
1
Flying Dutchman
1
Harold's Helicopter Tours
1
James and the Red Balloon
1
Jeremy Jet's Flying Academy
1
Jolly Buccaneer
1
Maelstrom
1
Pandemonium
1
Rocking Bulstrode
1
Sheriff's Showdown
1
Shockwave
5
Stormforce 10
1
The Bounty Pirate Ship
1
Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster
5
TOTAL
33

Journey Home
Having collected my large bag from Drayton Manor Hotel, Michael Argent Lord took me and a few others to Tamworth station. I caught the 18:45 train to Birmingham New Street. When I arrived there, I went to a nearby McDonald's, where I enjoyed a large Jamaican Chicken burger meal, followed by a Smarties McFlurry. Back at Birmingham New Street station, I caught the 20:12 train to Bristol Temple Meads. From there, I completed my journey on the 22:15 train to Bath Spa. I finally reached Bath Spa at 22:49, and home shortly afterwards.

More about Sunday at Drayton Manor Park available here

Back to the top

Outro

Highlights
Morning ERS on Apocalypse.
Being able to ride Apocalypse stand up no floor, for the first time since Loopathon 2011, during the morning ERS.
Re-riding the currently operating coasters (Accelerator, Shockwave, Buffalo Coaster, Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster) which I first rode during Loopathon 2011.
High overall ride count (ERSs and free time combined).
Delicious and filling two-course lunch at Towers Suite.
Evening ERS on Shockwave and Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster.
Hokey Cokey and group hug at the end.

Lowlights
G-Force no longer operating.

Unexpected Surprises
Free mugs for everyone for the sixth year running.

Summing Up
Another excellent Club trip, and a great turnout too. The weather was quite good; dry all day, and sunny most of the day. It was great meeting Andy Hine, Adey, Brian and various other members again. It's a pity G-Force was no longer operating, but nonetheless it was great riding the four remaining roller coasters (Accelerator, Shockwave, Buffalo Coaster, Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster) and several other rides again. Just one point, the coasters here are all steel. Come on Drayton Manor, get some wood! Best of all was being able to ride Apocalypse stand up no floor, for the first time since Loopathon 2011, during the morning ERS. Previously, I had only ridden it that way once during the Loopathon 2011 morning ERS. Since then, I didn't attend either day of Loopathon in 2012 and 2013, and stand up no floor was unavailable every Loopathon from 2014 to 2017 inclusive. Thankfully this time I enjoyed not just one, but four stand up no floor goes on Apocalypse during the morning ERS.

Many members liked my 47th birthday T-shirt; I wore that as Loopathon day 2 happened exactly one week after my birthday (30 September 2018). At least I managed to have considerably more rides at Drayton Manor Park during normal opening time alone (not counting morning and evening ERSs) than I had all day during my birthday visit to Thorpe Park exactly one week earlier. For the sixth year running, the Park provided free souvenir mugs. This seems to have become an annual tradition since 2013; I thought it was originally meant to be a one-off for the Club's 25th anniversary special in 2013 (which I didn't attend).

Many thanks to Andy Hine for organising this trip, the ride staff for operating Apocalypse before opening and two coasters after closing, the catering staff for the delicious and filling lunch, and Chairman Colin Bryan for his speech. Thanks also to Michael Argent Lord for kindly giving me a lift to Tamworth station in the evening.

Roll on the 2019 Blackpool Bash, I hope to be there.

Reflections
Having first joined the RCCGB in March 2005, here is my updated track record for Loopathon attendance in 14 years of membership 2005 to 2018 inclusive:

2005 & 2006: Alton Towers only
2007 to 2010: Did not attend Loopathon at all
2011: Drayton Manor only
2012 & 2013: Did not attend Loopathon at all
2014 to 2018: Drayton Manor only

So, this can be summed up as:
2 x Alton Towers only (2005, 2006)
6 x Drayton Manor only (2011, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
6 x Missed Loopathon altogether (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013)

After all this time, I've still never attended a complete Loopathon in a single year. I really ought to try and make the effort to do so next year in what will be my 15th year of RCCGB membership. At least my consecutive attendance of Loopathon day 2 - Drayton Manor (2014 to 2018 inclusive - five years) now exceeds my continuous run of missing Loopathon altogether (2007 to 2010 inclusive - four years).

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment