Wednesday 24 April 2019

Nemesis Nick at Funland 20 Oct 2018

Date: Saturday 20 October 2018
Venue: Funland, Hayling Island
Who Went: Just me

N.B. Any use of "today" or "Saturday" in this report means Saturday 20 October 2018.

Rationale for Trip
After my birthday outing to Thorpe Park and RCCGB Loopathon day 2 at Drayton Manor Park, I fancied a last-minute bonus coaster trip to Funland, Hayling Island one Saturday during what remained of October 2018. For various reasons I chose to go on Saturday 20 October 2018.

Getting to Funland
In some ways, I picked a bad day to go to Funland Hayling Island, because that day, part of the train journey from Bath Spa to Havant, via Westbury and Salisbury, required travelling on a rail replacement bus. Anyway, I began my journey on the 07:36 GWR train from Bath Spa to Warminster. From there I caught the 08:21 rail replacement bus to Salisbury. Having arrived at Salisbury station at 08:58, I had plenty of time to enjoy a regular Americano and a butter croissant at Pumpkin, on platform 4, before I continued my journey on the 09:33 GWR train to Fareham. Finally, I caught the 10:39 Southern train to Havant. Having arrived Havant at 10:56, I walked to the bus station, where I caught the 11:06 number 31 bus to Beachlands. Unfortunately, this was the one which ran clockwise around the island, so it took the long way around the eastern side of the island. I finally arrived Beachlands at 11:36, four hours after leaving Bath Spa station.

Funland, Hayling Island

Morning Riding
Without further ado, I went straight into Funland and bought myself an all-day wristband. Once fitted with my wristband, I headed straight for the mouse coaster Runaway Mine Train.

Runaway Mine Train
This L&T Systems Wild Mouse 30x20 previously operated at Gulliver's Warrington as Wild Mine Ride from 1999 to 2015. Since 2016 it's been operating at Funland as Runaway Mine Train. It's located where Klondike Gold Mine stood from 2005 to 2015. The track layout is just like that of a typical steel mouse coaster. Its ride cars are truck-like, with a front and back row. I began my day on Runaway Mine Train; I got into the front row of one of the ride cars, and once despatched, the ride experience was similar to other steel mouse coasters. Having left Runaway Mine Train, I re-entered it to have a second go, which was also in the front row. After that, I had two more goes, both of which were in the back row.

Funlandasaurus
This Pinfari Super Dragon MD31 previously operated at Drayton Manor Park as Super Dragon from 1984 to 2007. It began operating at Funland as Super Dragon Roller Coaster in 2008. Exactly when it officially changed its name to Funlandasaurus is unclear. The Roller Coaster Database now lists this coaster as Funlandasaurus, with Super Dragon as a former name up to 2015. Furthermore, when I visited Funland in October 2014, the name on the front of the platform was Super Dragon, whereas my next visit in October 2016 was my first time of seeing Funlandasaurus on the front of the platform. For now, I had two goes: front row followed by back row. Riding in the front row allowed me to have an unobstructed view of the way ahead, whereas riding in the back seat meant I could see most of the train in front of me. One ride consists of multiple laps; however, I didn't count the actual number of laps per go.

Now that I had ridden both roller coasters at least twice each, I wanted to ride the two log flumes. Being as I was already near Dino Falls, it made sense for me to ride Dino Falls first. In order to prevent myself getting wet on either log flume, I donned my all-in-one splashsuit before going on Dino Falls.

Dino Falls
Funland's mini log flume. I think this one is primarily aimed at children, but adults can ride it. Formerly known as Blizzard Falls Log Flume, the first time I saw this called Dino Falls was during my October 2016 visit to Funland. The log sets off from the platform, around a u-bend, up the lift hill and down again. After the landing splash (which isn't very big), the log continues around another u-bend and back into the station. The rise and fall are quite small, and the overall ride duration is quite short, but it is still a fun ride. I enjoyed two goes on this mini log flume.

Beaver Creek Log Ride
Funland's large log flume. Originally called Wild River Log Flume, my first time of seeing it called Beaver Creek Log Ride was in November 2013. I got into one of the logs. The log sailed out of the station, around a bend, through a tunnel and around another bend. From there the log went up the lift hill, around the u-bend at the top and down the big drop to create a mighty splash. Finally, the log entered the station and I disembarked. Having exited the ride, I re-entered to have a second go, which was just as exciting as my first go. Having disembarked at the end of my second go I removed my splashsuit. I didn't ride either log flume again later in the day.

Neptune's Fury
Neptune's Fury has been operating at Funland since 2017, and is located where Woody's Coaster was until 2016. It features giant seashells on turntables, which work in a similar manner to a waltzer. For now, I had one go, but it ended up being my only go as I didn't return to Neptune's Fury later in the day. As far as I'm concerned, it's a fun ride, one could see it as something similar to Breakdance which disappeared from Funland a few years ago. However, if it was really necessary to get rid of Woody's Coaster, I'd sooner it had been replaced with another family sized roller coaster instead of Neptune's Fury.

Spinning Pots (Cannibal Pots)
Formerly known as Cannibal Pots, this ride has had Spinning Pots on the entrance sign since 2017. However, at the time of writing, the Funland website still refers to this ride as Cannibal Pots. Regardless of its current official name, this is similar to a tea cup ride, but with cauldrons instead of cups. One can make the cauldron spin faster by turning the table whilst the ride is in motion. In order not to spin the cauldron too fast for my liking I only turned the table a bit for a brief part of the ride, and let the cauldron spin of its own accord the rest of the time. For now, I just had one go, in cauldron number 8

Cyclone
Just about everyone in the RCCGB must have been on this sort of ride at least once somewhere; you may have seen it called Twister. This ride has been operating at Funland since 2014. A fun ride, and still one of my favourite non-coaster rides, but once was enough for me for now. This was my final ride before lunch.

Lunchtime and After
At 13:15 I went to Carousel Café, which is located within Funland, for some lunch. Feeling like something hot, I chose jacket potato with cheese accompanied with side salad. I also had a mug and a coffee there. Having left Carousel Café at 13:40, I exited Funland altogether and went for a walk along the beach in an easterly direction. By now I felt warm enough in just a T-shirt and shorts in the direct sunshine outside. After a while, I continued my walk across the grassland and back to Funland.

Afternoon Riding
At 14:20 I returned to Funland and without further ado I returned to riding.

Funlandasaurus
Being as I re-entered Funland via the entrance nearest to Funlandasaurus, it made sense for me to begin my afternoon by riding the roller coaster Funlandasaurus. I had two goes. Once again, each go consisted of multiple laps. My second go ended up being my final go of the day on Funlandasaurus as I didn't return to it later in the afternoon.

Samba Balloon
My first non-coaster ride of the afternoon was the Samba Balloon. This Zamperla balloon ride is similar to Diego's Rainforest Rescue, in Nickelodeon Land, at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. I sat in basket number 7. Once I was seated, the balloons rose and went around clockwise. Eventually, the balloons returned to ground level and stopped. Undeniably this is a rather tame ride, but it's still great fun, and if nothing else, can be seen as a gentle rest ride. This was my only go on the Samba Balloon all day.

Spinning Pots (Cannibal Pots)
So far, I had only been on the Spinning Pots once in the morning, therefore it was about time I had another ride on them. This time I sat in pot number 5. Once again, I mostly let the pot spin of its own accord; I hardly spun the table myself to alter its spin speed. I only had one go for now, but was determined this wouldn't be my final go of the day.

Runaway Mine Train
Now for a few more goes on the mouse coaster Runaway Mine Train. For now, I had just two goes, both of which were in the front row of the truck, but I expected to return to this coaster later.

Rock 'n' Tug Bug
A brand new Zamperla ride for 2018, this swings and spins about a central base pivot, in the same manner as the Zamperla Rock 'n' Tug I've ridden at various other parks. A fun ride, but once was enough for me; I don't think I could ride this twice straight off due to the way it works. In fact, this was my only go on this new ride all day as I didn't return to it later in the afternoon.

Extreme
This Miami ride began operating at Funland in 2013. I didn't count how many seats there are on this particular one, but anyway, the ride experience was just like any other Miami. A fun ride, but once was enough for now. This was, in fact, my only go on Extreme, as I didn't return to it later.

Afternoon Coffee
The time was now 15:45, and I felt like another coffee so I went to Carousel Café for a mug of coffee. This was my final visit to Carousel Café for the day. Having left, I immediately returned to riding, in order to fit in as many rides as I could before they closed.

Cyclone
So far, I had only ridden Cyclone once, just before lunch, so I was now long overdue to ride it during the afternoon. Once again, the ride experience was the same as when I rode it just before lunch; a fun ride, but once was enough for me for now. Nonetheless, I hoped to fit in one more ride on it before closing time.

Runaway Mine Train
There was still time for me to enjoy a few more goes on this mouse coaster. This time around, I ended up having four goes; the first was in the back row, and the remaining three were all in the front row. My fourth go of this batch of rides on Runaway Mine Train ended up being my final roller coaster ride of the day.

Spinning Pots (Cannibal Pots)
My final go of the day on the Spinning Pots. This time I sat in pot number 1. Just like my earlier goes, I mostly let the pot spin of its own accord; I hardly spun the table myself to alter its spin speed.

Cyclone
Having left Spinning Pots, ride closing time was fast approaching. I headed straight for Cyclone. When I got there, it was still open and the attendant was accepting riders for what was to be Cyclone's final run of the day. Knowing this would therefore have to be my last go of the day on Cyclone, I made the most of this one go. The perfect ride to round off my day at Funland.

Evening Meal
The rides closed at 17:00. However, Seaview Fish & Chips, which is part of Funland, remained open a little longer, so I decided to have cod and chips before leaving Funland. I was hoping to have them on a plate in the restaurant there, but that was now closed and they were only serving takeaways. Nonetheless, I was able to eat my takeaway cod and large chips at one of the picnic style tables outside. Although I enjoyed my fish and chips, I ended up rushing them as the bus I intended to catch was due to depart Beachlands bus stop at 17:36. Anyway, having finished them, I immediately walked across the road to Beachlands bus stop.

Summary of day in order of activity

Runaway Mine Train 4
Funlandasaurus 2
Dino Falls 2
Beaver Creek Log Ride 2
Neptune's Fury 1
Spinning Pots (Cannibal Pots) 1
Cyclone 1

Lunch at Carousel Café
Walk along part of the beach and grassland

Funlandasaurus 2
Samba Balloon 1
Spinning Pots (Cannibal Pots) 1
Runaway Mine Train 2
Rock 'n' Tug Bug 1
Extreme 1

Coffee at Carousel Café

Cyclone 1
Runaway Mine Train 4
Spinning Pots (Cannibal Pots) 1
Cyclone 1

Takeaway cod and large chips from Seaview Fish & Chips at Funland, Hayling Island

Cumulative Summary of Rides

Ride
Total
Beaver Creek Log Ride
2
Cyclone
3
Dino Falls
2
Extreme
1
Funlandasaurus
4
Neptune's Fury
1
Rock 'n' Tug Bug
1
Runaway Mine Train
10
Samba Balloon
1
Spinning Pots (Cannibal Pots)
3
TOTAL
28

Journey Home
Back at Beachlands bus stop, I caught the 17:36 bus to Havant Bus Station. Thankfully, this time I managed to get on the one that goes clockwise around the island, and hence goes around the western side, on its way to Havant. After I arrived Havant Bus Station at 17:59, I had time to buy myself a takeaway white coffee from a shop en route to the railway station. Once there, I caught the 18:21 Southern train to Fareham, followed by the 18:47 GWR train to Salisbury. On arrival at Salisbury station at 19:38, I just had time to buy myself a regular Americano from Pumpkin, on platform 4, before I exited the station for the 19:50 rail replacement bus to Warminster. I was able to consume my coffee on the bus, which arrived Warminster railway station at 20:30 (ten minutes earlier than expected). Once there, I caught the 21:00 GWR train, which was supposed to go all the way to Bath Spa, and eventually Cardiff Central. Unfortunately, just before it set off from Warminster, and again just before it arrived at Westbury, the guard said everyone would need to transfer to a replacement unit waiting there, so that the one everyone was already on could be taken out of service for repair. Luckily, when the train arrived at Westbury, the replacement GWR unit was immediately in front, so passengers only had to walk a short distance along the platform between trains. After that little inconvenience, the rest of the journey went without a hitch, and the replacement unit arrived Bath Spa at 21:37. Thus I had taken four hours to get from Funland, Hayling Island to Bath Spa railway station on public transport. Soon afterwards, I was home at the end of a long day out.

Outro

Highlights
High overall ride count.
Adding Rock 'n' Tug Bug to my ride count.
Riding Runaway Mine Train, Funlandasaurus, both log flumes and other rides again.
Rides mostly walk-on.
Warm, dry, sunny weather whilst at Funland.

Lowlights
Extended journey time both directions, due to rail replacement buses between Warminster and Salisbury.

Summing Up
Altogether another coaster crazy day out, during which I enjoyed two roller coasters, two log flumes and six other rides. It was great adding the brand new ride Rock 'n' Tug Bug to my ride count, and riding the Runaway Mine Train, Funlandasaurus, both log flumes and various other rides again. Despite a chilly start to the day, accompanied by fog for much of my morning journey, my day at Funland turned out sunny and surprisingly warm for this time in October. In fact, in direct sunshine I felt warm enough in just a T-shirt and shorts outside much of the afternoon. The biggest hinderance was the replacement bus service between Warminster and Salisbury, as that meant more changes, and a longer overall travelling time, than usual both directions. Four hours' travelling time both directions meant I spent a total of eight hours travelling, including waiting for connections, that day. Despite that, it was definitely worthwhile me travelling from Bath to Hayling Island and back in one day just to visit such a small park. Most rides were walk-on, and whenever there was a queue, it was very short, hence I managed to get a high ride count, even allowing for my lunch break and after-lunch walk along the beach. Since this turned out to be my final visit to an amusement park for 2018, I can call this my final send-off to the 2018 coaster season.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment