Wednesday 17 April 2019

RCCGB Folly Farm 2018

Date: Friday 10 August 2018
Venue: Folly Farm
Who Went: Me and a large number of other RCCGB members, including Andy Hine, Brian, Lucy Cosnett, Mark and Margo Lewis, Planenut, Ryan Hackett, Stevie Bee, Wendy Adams Evans.

DISCLAIMER: The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of everyone who attended. It's a small sample of attendees; mainly those I spoke to and/or rode with at Folly Farm. I sincerely apologise to anyone else who was there and I've not listed. Not all attendees (whether or not listed above) were present all day.

Rationale for Trip
A pre-Oakwood add-on to RCCGB Mega-GLOW-Mania 2018, a visit to Folly Farm near Begelly. The itinerary was the same as in 2017 and previous years: (i) the daytime was free for everyone to enjoy the Park amenities at their leisure, (ii) after closing time the day culminated in an Exclusive Fair Session (EFS) in the Vintage Funfair, including a basket meal in the Funfair Restaurant. For the purposes of Mega-GLOW-Mania 2018, you could think of this visit to Folly Farm as the starter, and the Saturday visit to Oakwood as the main course.

N.B. Any use of "today" or "Friday" hereafter in this report means Friday 10 August 2018. Any use of "Saturday" means Saturday 11 August 2018.

Friday First Thing
The first let-down of the day was the weather! When I got up around 07:45 I noticed the wet road outside, so clearly rain had fallen overnight. When I checked the Met Office website around 08:45, the latest prediction for Narberth (nearest town to Folly Farm) was heavy rain most of the morning (though for some reason there was a white cloud with just 20% chance of precipitation at 10:00), followed by showers from 13:00 to 14:00. After 15:00, the weather was expected to be mostly sunny. That gave me a chink of hope that I might possibly have a dry moment around 10:00 to walk up to Folly Farm. Once there, I'd perhaps need stick to the indoor attractions the rest of the morning and early afternoon, and finally see the zoo from around 15:00 onwards. Funnily enough the dry weather was expected to continue all evening through to midnight. Typical! If we had to have a mixture of weather for Folly Farm, I'd have preferred the forecast to have been sunny from breakfast time through to late afternoon, clouding over around 17:00 and then heavy rain from 17:30 onwards whilst we were going to be in the Victorian Funfair (under cover) enjoying our EFS together.

Around 08:50 I went to the dining room to enjoy my breakfast, consisting of a choice of cereal, orange juice, a full cooked breakfast, toast and coffee. Whilst I was having my breakfast, there was a heavy downpour outside, which concerned me. I hoped the rain would stop in time for me to walk to Folly Farm, but for now all I could do was relax and enjoy my breakfast, which filled me up for the morning! After breakfast I returned to my room for a little longer. Around 10:00 the sun appeared. That was a blessing and a curse, as I wasn't ready to leave yet, and I was concerned this might just be a very brief dry, sunny interval. My biggest concern now was that, by the time I was ready to leave, there could be another heavy downpour when I was only half way to Folly Farm! I hurriedly gathered together everything I wanted to take, including the clothes I wanted for the evening EFS, so I could leave as soon as possible.

Folly Farm

Getting to Folly Farm
Since I was staying in Begelly for the third year running, I intended to walk all the way from my hotel to Folly Farm. As soon as I was ready, I set off. The walk from my hotel to Folly Farm was mostly uphill. Thankfully it remained dry and sunny as I walked there. When I arrived at Folly Farm just before 10:30, the Park was already open and the general public were being admitted. I approached one of the entrance booths, stated that I was booked on the RCCGB trip, and showed my trip badge, letter and membership card. Without further ado I was admitted. Beyond the entrance booths, I had to walk through the shop to get right into the Park.

Normal Opening Time

Coffee Break
Once admitted, I went straight to Cwtch Coffee for an Americano. This was a relaxing break between having walked to Folly Farm and starting to explore the Park.

Follywood
Having finished my coffee, I went to the Follywood area across the road. To get there I had to walk through The Jolly Barn and subway. Most of the Follywood area can only be seen from the Land Train.

Land Train
Unlike the Victorian Funfair rides (for which one needs to buy tokens), visitors can ride the Land Train free of charge. When I got to its departure point, the waiting time for the next train was fairly short, so I waited there for the next train. When ready, the train set off along a rough track, and passed various animals along the way. On the way back, the train took a slightly different route, thereby taking riders past even more animals. Unfortunately, the carriages are open sided, so the wind caused a rather cold draught through them.

Percy's Piggery
This Follywood attraction is home to various breeds of pigs. These included Welsh Pig, Saddleback Pig and Mangalitza Pig. Pens extend outside both sides of the building, so that the pigs can go into those external pens. Thus, one can see the pigs from outside the building as well as inside, depending on where the pigs are at a given time. Having left Percy's Piggery, I returned to the main part of the Park.

The Zoo
Back in the main part of the Park, I headed for the zoo next. Once there, I began with the giraffe enclosure in the Motobo Hills (African Reserve) section. Whilst I was looking at the giraffes, I saw Nev and a few other RCCGB members there around 12:20. This was my first sighting of other RCCGB members on this trip. In this area I also saw the zebra enclosure. Afterwards I saw the Pride of Pembrokeshire lion enclosure, which first opened in 2014. This is surrounded by a high fence, with another secondary fence outside it. Information about the lions is available inside the Pride of Pembrokeshire building. Also, inside that building, is a large window through which visitors can see and photograph the lions without being obscured by the fence wire. Outside there is another large window through which visitors have an unobstructed view of the lions. The final part of the zoo I saw before taking a break for lunch was the Penguin Coast area, including the underwater view of the penguins.

Lunch
Around 13:30 I felt like felt like a light snack, so I went to nearby Carousel Café for something to eat. There I had a coronation chicken and salad filled roll, plus an Americano. That's all I wanted after my big breakfast earlier.

The Zoo (continued)
After lunch I returned the zoo to see the rest of the animals. I headed straight for the path in the corner of the zoo where it says "More animals this way". Along this path there is information about deserts around the world. Further on, I approached the entrance to the Kifaru Reserve rhino enclosure (which opened in 2016). I walked, clockwise, all the way around the circular path surrounding the rhino enclosure. Along the way I saw, and read, a series of numbered information signs about rhino poaching. There is also a building, with a sunken area for the rhino to go inside. In the part of the building open to visitors, there is a mural showing the sizes of various species of rhino. Having left the rhino enclosure, I walked around another path from which I saw various other animals in this area of the zoo, including reindeer. Back in the main part of the zoo, I saw the meerkats and the walk-through aviary.

Ice Cream
Having left the zoo around 15:30, I passed The Dairy Shed ice cream kiosk, so I bought myself a strawberry swirl Whippy ice cream there.

Paratrooper
A new addition to Folly Farm for 2018. Just like any Paratrooper ride I've been on elsewhere, this consists of suspended umbrellas, with seats beneath them, which go around in a circle on an angle. Whilst waiting to ride Paratrooper, I saw Stevie Bee, Lucy Cosnett, Wendy Adams Evans and a few other RCCGB members. When it was my turn to ride, I got into one of the seats and, once in motion, the ride experience was just like any other Paratrooper ride I've been on in the past. Altogether a thrilling, but fun ride. Due to the need to pay to go on this, I limited myself to just one go, but even if it was free, I don't think I could have stuck two goes on this straight off.

Afternoon Coffee
At 16:10 I went to Cwtch Coffee for a much-needed cappuccino. Having finished my coffee, I walked across to the Victorian Funfair building, whereupon I headed straight for Carousel Woods.

Carousel Woods
A wooden indoor play structure, which adults are allowed to play on. It includes the following facilities:
Four-lane Astra slide
Four tube slides
Log ramps and bridges
Multi-level towers; inter-floor access is by log ramps and/or climbing / dropping through holes

I played in Carousel Woods for nearly an hour; from around 16:30 until just before closing time of 17:30. The obvious place to start was the Astra slide; I slid down all four of its lanes once each. Next, I enjoyed sliding the four tube slides twice each. Thereafter I covered all parts of the play area including the bridges, going up and down through the holes between levels in the towers. The tallest tower, situated near the front of the play area, has three wooden "proper" upper floors (first, second, third) above the ground floor. Each of the said floors has a hole in it, which one can pass through upwards or downwards. In addition, a two-stage log ramp at the edge of the tower links the first floor to the second floor, and another two-stage log ramp at the edge of the tower links the second floor to the third floor. I went up through the holes in the front tower once and down through the holes in the front tower once. Going downwards through the front tower holes, I went through the hole in the third floor, through the holes in two intermediate levels, through the second floor, through two more intermediate levels, through the first floor and through more intermediate levels to the ground floor. In addition, I went up through the holes in the rear tower. For access reasons, I descended the straight yellow tube slide near the back once, followed by ramp up at the rear and then the spiral tube slide at the back once to return to ground floor at one point. I rounded off my session by sliding the spiral tube slide at the back twice, followed by all four Astra slide lanes twice each.

Summary of my sliding in order
Astra slide all 4 lanes left to right (as seen from the top) once each
Spiral tube slide at back 2
Tube slide near front 2
Straight yellow tube slide near back 2
Dark green tube slide from top of front tower 2
(Playing on towers, etc.)
Straight yellow tube slide near back 1
Spiral tube slide at back 1
(Playing on towers, etc.)
Spiral tube slide at back 2
Astra slide all 4 lanes left to right (as seen from the top) two rounds

Altogether a fun way to spend the final hour of normal opening time. My only problem was where to put my rucksack and trainers. Just before I began playing, I placed them by one of the structure's access points, and checked them from time to time during my session on Carousel Woods. There really ought to be lockers nearby for you to put luggage in.

Exclusive Fair Session
Folly Farm closed to the public at 17:30. For us though, it was the beginning of the best part of the day, our Exclusive Fair Session (EFS). Just before the EFS began, I put on my RCCGB Fun Night T-shirt (which I originally had printed in March 2016 for the Friday Fun Night of the Blackpool Bash 2016), my fluorescent pink sports shorts and my fluorescent pink football socks. Having changed, I walked across to the Wurlitzer Organ where everyone else was waiting.

Around 17:45 the Club was, at last, ready to begin the evening EFS. The Club split into two groups, A and B. The plan was to run two rides simultaneously (rides 1 and 2 for explanation purposes), with group A on ride 1 and group B on ride 2, then swap over to have group B on ride 1 and group A on ride 2. We began by taking turns to ride the 1950s Caterpillar Ride and Jets.

1950s Caterpillar Ride
This goes round and round, and due to undulations in the track, it also gives up and down motion. Part way through the ride, the canopy is put over the riders, so the ride resembles a caterpillar racing around the track. Near the end the canopy is removed. I sat in seat 7. A fun start to the EFS.

Jets
Mini jet planes at the ends of arms which radiate from a central hub. I shared a plane with Brian. The operator said we would have to move the lever one way to go up and the other way to go down. When the ride started, the planes all went around in a circle. Shortly afterwards I was able to lift the plane with the lever. The extent to which I could raise the plane with the lever varied during the course of the ride; after a while I was able to raise it to the full height. Finally, all the planes returned to their stationary height before the ride slowed and stopped.

For the next two rides, the groups took turns to ride the 1937 Coronation Speedway and Rock n' Roll Waltzer.

1937 Coronation Speedway
Also called Royal Coronation Speedway, this has horses, cars and motorbikes fixed to a circular wooden undulating track. I sat on bike TAC1. The ride went round and round, up and down.

Rock n' Roll Waltzer
Self-explanatory, this is a typical fairground waltzer. Each waltzer has a rock star's face and signature on the back. I rode with two other members in waltzer number 3, bearing Tom Jones on the back.

Ghost Train
This has several individual ride cars, which resemble railway engines, running on a track. The group arrangement did not apply here. Instead members entered and left this ride one by one as trains became available. The trains follow the track through a spooky enclosure. One go consists of one lap of the track. I only had one go on this, however I think some attendees managed to ride this more than once.

1938 Dodgem Track
Another common funfair ride, the dodgems aka bumper cars. The group arrangement did not apply here. Instead the cars were filled on a first-come first-served basis. There were some members (I was one of them) who couldn't be accommodated on the first run though.

At the end of that run, everyone who had just ridden the dodgems left the ride. A second run was held for those like me who missed out first time around; I sat in car 10. Some cars were still empty, and they were filled with members who had already ridden, on a first-come first-served basis. That meant some members were lucky enough to get two goes on the dodgems. Now I'm not particularly keen on dodgems at the best of times, but I was determined to give it a go. I tried my best at driving my car around the track, but at certain times got into difficulty steering it. This ride was closed at the end of the second run.

Evening Meal
It was now time for dinner at the Funfair Restaurant. When booking we were asked to specify whether we wanted fish and chips, sausage and chips or pasta Bolognese. That didn't necessarily mean everyone stuck with their original choices whilst being served. I had what I'd originally specified: fish and chips. A fizzy drink was also included. As I nearly finished my meal one of the catering staff asked if anyone wanted some of the remaining spare chips, so I went back for more. Nev briefly spoke about Saturday's plans, but there were no speeches from staff members.

At 18:55 everyone returned to riding. Normally I wouldn't go on rides immediately after eating, but this time I was willing to return to riding anyway. Thankfully even the spinning rides at Folly Farm are reasonably suitable for riding immediately after eating, unlike rides such as Disko, swinging pirate ship or Freak Out type rides.

1936 Lakin Swirl
Also called the Super Swirl or Lakin Skid, this has waltzer style ride cars with small wheels beneath them. Each car is attached by a pivot to a triangle protruding from the spinning central unit. That results in a rather unusual ride experience; a car rotates as far as it can go in one direction before suddenly being thrown sharply back in the opposite direction. I sat in car 7 with Mark and Margo Lewis.

Afterwards a second run was held primarily for those who had missed out first time around. The remaining seats were filled with members who had already ridden first time, on a first-come first-served basis. I was lucky enough to get back on for the second run; this time I sat in car 4 with Planenut.

Chair-o-Plane
This is basically a carousel with chairs hanging from chains. As the ride spins the chairs are forced outwards on an angle. A gentle, pleasurable ride, that's all I really need to say about this. When the ride ended it took several revolutions to slow down and stop.

Folly Farm's Famous Gallopers
Traditional galloping horses, no further explanation needed. Everyone who wished to ride was accommodated simultaneously. I sat on the horse named Howard.

1950s Cyclone Twist
Everyone should be familiar with this ride. This 1950s model obviously looks a bit primitive compared to the more modern ones you tend to see these days (which most RCCGB members are likely to have ridden somewhere, generally called Twister nowadays). Most members including me got on the first run. I sat with Ryan during the first run. Being as I'd been on this sort of thing plenty of times before elsewhere, I knew what to expect. Just as I expected, this 1950s model gave a ride experience more or less the same as more modern models. Great fun, I still think the Cyclone is one of my favourite non-coaster rides.

Afterwards a second run was held primarily for those who had missed out first time around. The remaining seats were filled with members who had already ridden first time, on a first-come first-served basis. I was lucky enough to get back on for the second run, this time I sat with Brian.

Brooklyn Cakewalk
Just like the RCCGB visits to Folly Farm every year from 2013 to 2017 inclusive, the final ride of the evening was the Brooklyn Cakewalk. Finishing the day with this ride seems to have become a tradition now. Members had to be admitted to it one by one with a short gap between each. I was among the first few to approach it and thus get on it. During my first go I successfully walked the whole circuit without touching the rails. There was a strange sensation whilst walking along the moving platform. Perhaps the hardest part was stepping from the first moving platform to the stationary landing at the far end and on to the second moving platform to return to entrance / exit end. Just as riders entered the ride one by one, they left it one by one.

Once I had completed my first go, I joined the back of the queue (which was shorter this time) and didn't have long to wait before it was my turn for a second go. After I had completed my second go, I waited my turn for my third go; this time there were very few in front of me. I ended up being the last person to be admitted, as the entry gate was bolted shut immediately after I entered this time. Likewise, by the time I had walked all the way around, I was the last member to leave this ride. After I had completed my third go the ride was switched off, thereby marking the end of the EFS.

Summary of my day in order of activity

Daytime
Americano at Cwtch Coffee
Land Train
Percy's Piggery
The Zoo
Lunch at Carousel Café
The Zoo (continued)
Ice cream from The Dairy Shed
Paratrooper 1 go
Cappuccino at Cwtch Coffee
Carousel Woods (almost one hour)

Exclusive Fair Session
1950s Caterpillar Ride 1
Jets 1
1937 Coronation Speedway 1
Rock n' Roll Waltzer 1
Ghost Train 1
1938 Dodgem Track 1

Evening meal at Funfair Restaurant

1936 Lakin Swirl 2
Chair-o-Plane 1
Folly Farm's Famous Gallopers 1
1950s Cyclone Twist 2
Brooklyn Cakewalk 3

Alphabetic Summary Table of EFS Rides

Ride
Total
Brooklyn Cakewalk
3
1950s Caterpillar Ride
1
Chair-o-Plane
1
1937 Coronation Speedway
1
1950s Cyclone Twist
2
1938 Dodgem Track
1
Folly Farm's Famous Gallopers
1
Ghost Train
1
Jets
1
1936 Lakin Swirl
2
Rock n' Roll Waltzer
1
TOTAL
15

Rest of Friday
When the EFS ended, the day was over and we all had to return to the car park. It was still dry and sunny outside at the time. Mark and Margo kindly gave me a lift back to my hotel. Having arrived there soon after 20:00, I relaxed in my room the rest of the evening.

Outro

Highlights
Land train ride mid-morning.
Playing on Carousel Woods indoor play structure late afternoon.
Evening Exclusive Fair Session on the Vintage Funfair rides.
Evening meal in the Funfair Restaurant.
Good weather; dry all day, and mostly sunny.

Lowlights
Having to leave my rucksack and trainers unattended near Carousel Woods whilst playing on the structure due to lack of lockers.

Summing Up
Altogether a pleasurable appetiser to Mega-GLOW-Mania at Oakwood. It was great adding the Paratrooper ride to my ride count. I particularly enjoyed playing on Carousel Woods indoor play structure for nearly an hour late afternoon. As always, the highlight of the day was the EFS after 17:30: a few vintage rides, a meal at the Funfair Restaurant, and more vintage rides ending with the Brooklyn Cakewalk. Wearing my self-designed black RCCGB Fun Night T-shirt, fluorescent pink shorts and fluorescent pink football socks just for that part of the day added to the fun of the EFS. Basically, the visit to Folly Farm can be summed up as a leisurely day around the farm, zoo and other attractions, culminating in a spin on the vintage rides early evening, as a warm-up to Oakwood the day after. Best of all, the weather turned out dry all day, and mostly sunny. Many thanks to Andy Hine for arranging this trip, including EFS, to Folly Farm; I hope it continues as part of Mega-GLOW-Mania next year and beyond. Thanks also to the ride staff for operating the rides and caterers for providing the meal after closing time, and to Mark and Margo for giving me a lift back to my hotel in the evening.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment