Wednesday 17 April 2019

Nemesis Nick at Brean Leisure Park 30 June 2018 Midi Report

Date: Saturday 30 June 2018
Venue: Brean Theme Park
Who Went: Just me

N.B. Any use of "today" or "Saturday" in this report means Saturday 30 June 2018.

Rationale for Trip
Having attended the RCCGB Summer Bash at Brean Leisure Park early September 2011, and gone there alone in September 2012, June 2013, June 2014, July 2015, July 2016 and September 2017, I was equally determined to go there again this year. This time I hoped to go sometime in June or July. During the final week in June 2018, Saturday 30 June was expected to be a hot, sunny day, so for that reason, I decided to go that day.

Getting to Brean Leisure Park
I awoke early to get ready in time to catch the 08:27 train from Bath Spa to Bristol Temple Meads, followed by the connecting 08:58 train to Weston-super-Mare. When I arrived Weston-super-Mare station at 09:38, I had time to enjoy an Americano at Choo Choo's Café there, before I caught the 10:09 bus to Brean.

Brean Leisure Park

Morning Coffee
Having reached Brean at 10:49, I went to Subway, where I had a regular Americano and a white chip Macadamia nut cookie. After leaving Subway at 11:20, I walked straight to Brean Theme Park.

Morning Riding
About five minutes later, I arrived at Brean Theme Park wristband booth. I bought myself a Brean Theme Park Megaband, which was valid until ride closing time. Once fitted with my wristband, I headed straight for Astro Storm, at the other end of the Park. I enjoyed five goes on Astro Storm. Although a fun dark roller coaster, I question the need for the lighting effects (including flashing lights) on the lift hill. I also question the need for the air currents as there is no air in Space. Next, I approached Crazy Loop. Although not my favourite looping coaster, and very much a bone-shaker, I nonetheless enjoyed two goes on it. After that, I enjoyed two goes on the mouse coaster Magic Mouse. Having left Magic Mouse, there was just one more coaster for me to ride, the Caterpillar Coaster, which is the Park's smallest coaster. I had one go on Caterpillar Coaster; this turned out to be my final ride before lunch.

Lunchtime and After
Since I was now feeling peckish, I left Brean Theme Park to get some lunch at nearby Subway. When I got there, I had a 6-inch Ham Sub and 16oz 7-Up. Having left Subway, I went for a walk along part of the beach for a while. It was there roughly the time of low tide whilst I was there.

Afternoon Riding
I returned to Brean Theme Park around 14:45, eager to resume riding. So far, I had ridden all four roller coasters at least once each (three of them at least twice each), but hadn't been on any of the non-coaster rides yet. Therefore, I went on some non-coaster rides next. My first ride of the afternoon was Wave Swinger. Although a fun ride, once was enough for me. Next, I enjoyed one go on the rapidly spinning ride Ultimate, followed by one go on the Miami style ride X Factory. At 15:30 I went to Starbucks, at Brean Splash Waterpark, to have a much-needed Caffe Americano Tall.

Back in Brean Theme Park, I enjoyed two goes on Wild Water. This log flume has two rises and two falls. My next ride was Sizzler (generally better known among ride enthusiasts as Twister or Cyclone). Another fun ride, and still one of my favourite non-coaster rides, but once was enough for now. After that, I had one go on the Freak-Out / Afterburner type ride Wipeout. Although I thoroughly enjoyed this ride, there's no way I could have two goes straight off on this type of ride. Having left Wipeout, I was eager to have some more goes on the indoor coaster Astro Storm. I ended up having three goes, all of which were on the same train, but different rows.

I was now feeling really hot, so I went to Bucket and Spade bar-restaurant to have a glass of orange juice, with ice. The perfect way to cool down late afternoon on a hot, summer day. When I returned to Brean Theme Park at 17:55, I had enough time left to ride Caterpillar Coaster, Magic Mouse and Sizzler once each before leaving.

Summary of day in order of activity

Astro Storm 5
Crazy Loop 2
Magic Mouse 2
Caterpillar Coaster 1

Lunch at Subway
Walk along part of Brean Beach

Wave Swinger 1
Ultimate 1
X Factory 1

Coffee at Starbucks, Brean Splash Waterpark

Wild Water log flume 2
Sizzler (Cyclone) 1
Wipeout 1
Astro Storm 3

Orange juice at Bucket and Spade bar/restaurant

Caterpillar Coaster 1
Magic Mouse 1
Sizzler (Cyclone) 1

Cumulative Summary of Rides

Ride
Total
Astro Storm
8
Caterpillar Coaster
2
Crazy Loop
2
Magic Mouse
3
Sizzler
2
Ultimate
1
Wave Swinger
1
Wild Water
2
Wipeout
1
X Factory
1
TOTAL
23

Back to the top

Saturday Evening

Bus to Weston-super-Mare
Back at Brean Leisure Park bus stop, I caught the 18:35 bus to Weston-super-Mare. At 19:11 I left the bus at Clarence Road North bus stop, in Weston-super-Mare, and walked northwards along the sea front lawns.

Time in Weston-super-Mare
Around 19:30 I got to Winston's Fish Bar, where I bought takeaway cod, standard chips and mushy peas, and sat at a seat in the paved area across the road from the beach to eat them. Afterwards I had a Whippy ice cream from Charlie's Gelateria. Fish and chips and an ice cream are two must-haves when you're at the seaside. Having finished my ice cream, I walked along part of the beach (between Grand Pier and Seaquarium). Finally, I still had time for an Americano at Brunello Lounge Café Bar before I needed to start walking back to the railway station

Journey Home
Back at the station, I caught the 20:50 train to Bristol Temple Meads, followed by the late-running 21:47 train to Bath Spa. I finally arrived Bath Spa at 22:12, and home a few minutes later.

Outro

Highlights
Re-riding all four coasters and many other rides that I first rode September 2011.
Having five goes straight off on Astro Storm during the morning.
Good total ride count, allowing for refreshment breaks and after-lunch walk.
Perfect weather for this day out.

Summing Up
Altogether a coaster crazy day out at Brean Theme Park on the last day of June 2018. This was my eighth visit to Brean to-date and my seventh solo visit there. It was great riding all four coasters (Astro Storm, Caterpillar Coaster, Crazy Loop, Magic Mouse) and other several non-coaster rides again. Just one point about the four coasters, they're all steel. Come on Brean, get some wood! Best of all it was sunny from when I arrived at Weston in the morning, and very hot (almost too hot) during the afternoon. My ride count was slightly down on my previous visit in September 2017 but, allowing for my refreshment breaks, and my after-lunch walk, it was still a good ride count.

A more detailed report is available here

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment