Wednesday 17 April 2019

Nemesis Nick at Brean Leisure Park 30 June 2018

Date: Saturday 30 June 2018
Venue: Brean Theme Park
Who Went: Just me

N.B. Any use of "today" or "Saturday" in this report means Saturday 30 June 2018.

Rationale for Trip
Having attended the RCCGB Summer Bash at Brean Leisure Park early September 2011, and gone there alone in September 2012, June 2013, June 2014, July 2015, July 2016 and September 2017, I was equally determined to go there again this year. For various reasons, it took me until the first Saturday in September to visit Brean Theme Park in 2017, so this time I was determined to go earlier in the season, ideally June or July. During the final week in June 2018, Saturday 30 June was expected to be a hot, sunny day, so for that reason, I decided to go that day.

Getting to Brean Leisure Park
In all previous years, I travelled from Bath to Brean Leisure Park, via Bristol and Weston-super-Mare, on a series of three buses. Doing so was the cheapest travel option (requiring one all-day unlimited travel bus ticket), but was slow. This time, in order to speed up the journey, I decided to travel from Bath to Weston-super-Mare by train, and complete my journey to Brean by bus. After an early awakening, I caught the 08:27 train from Bath Spa to Bristol Temple Meads, followed by the connecting 08:58 train to Weston-super-Mare. When I arrived Weston-super-Mare at 09:38, the stop for the bus to Brean was just outside the railway station. Unfortunately, I must have just missed one bus by a minute or two, and faced about half an hour's wait for the next one. To fill time, I enjoyed an Americano at Choo Choo's Café, Weston-super-Mare station. After that, I caught the 10:09 bus from the front of the railway station to Brean. I left the bus at Pontins, Brean at 10:49, and began walking towards Brean Leisure Park.

Brean Leisure Park

Morning Coffee
At this point I felt like another coffee, so I went to Subway for a regular Americano. I also had a white chip Macadamia nut cookie there. Having left Subway at 11:20, I walked straight to Brean Theme Park.

Morning Riding

Admission
About five minutes after leaving Subway, I arrived at Brean Theme Park wristband booth. Without further ado I bought myself a Brean Theme Park Megaband. Just like in 2015, 2016 and 2017, wristbands purchased in the morning were valid until ride closing time. Once fitted with my wristband, I was eager to take to the rides. Since I wanted to start the day on Astro Storm, I headed straight for Astro Storm at the other end of the park.

Astro Storm
This Zierer Four Man Bob is the former Space Invader 2 from Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Late July 2011 it began operating at Brean Theme Park as Astro Storm. The 3-seater train, which resembles a space ship, goes through the doors, turns right and climbs the lift hill. Lighting effects on the lift hill include flashing lights, which I think are superfluous really. At the top there's a thrusting sound and the train winds its way along the course of the track. Along the way, strong air currents add to the fun, though I question their significance considering there is no air in Space! Finally, there are more bizarre lighting effects on the home straight before the train stops at the exit platform. I enjoyed five goes on this: Si2 front, Si2 centre, Si7 front, Si7 back, Si2 back. Wow, an out of this world way to start my day at Brean Theme Park. Although five goes on Astro Storm was enough for now, I knew I'd be back for more goes later.

Crazy Loop
This Pinfari preZyklon TL59 looping coaster originally operated as Crazy Loop at Flamingo Land (Malton) and Pleasure Island Cleethorpes. From 2004 to 2014 it operated at Brean under the name Shockwave. Since 2015, Brean Theme Park has called this Crazy Loop, presumably a restoration of its original Flamingo Land name. The lift hill, first drop, vertical loop and other elements made for a fun ride, albeit a bit rough. I would now describe this ride as a bone-shaker. Although not my favourite looping coaster, I nonetheless enjoyed two goes, but I forgot to log which rows I sat in. I didn't return to this later in the day.

Magic Mouse
Next, I wanted to ride the mouse coaster Magic Mouse. This Reverchon Spinning Coaster has been operating at Brean since 2007. The ride car leaves the station, climbs the lift hill and works its way along a series of straight bits and U-bends. I enjoyed two goes, one in car 6, followed by one in car 2.

Caterpillar Coaster
So far, I had ridden three of the Park's four roller coasters, so I was determined to ride Caterpillar Coaster next. This D.P.V. Rides Minicoaster Apple has been operating at Brean since 2001. Unlike the other three coasters, one ride consists of two laps of the track by default. Undeniably this, the Park's smallest coaster, is not particularly exciting, but to me riding this was as important as the other bigger coasters. For now, I just had one go, which turned out to be my final ride before lunch.

Lunch at Subway
Since I was now feeling peckish, I left Brean Theme Park to get some lunch at nearby Subway. Unsurprisingly, when I got there at 13:25 the place was quite busy, and it took me about 15 minutes to be served. When it was my turn, I chose a 6-inch Ham Sub and 16oz 7-Up. I sat at one of the indoor tables and enjoyed my lunch. I finally left Subway at 14:03.

After-Lunch Walk
Knowing it would be unwise to return to riding immediately after lunch, I went for a short walk next. I walked along the path opposite Brean Leisure Park to the beach. When I got there, I walked around part of it for a few minutes and had a few pictures taken of me there. One can see Brean Down and Steep Holm from the beach. I was there roughly the time of low tide, so when I walked to the point where the sand blends into mud, I was still nowhere near the sea. Eventually I walked back to Brean Theme Park.

Afternoon Riding
I returned to Brean Theme Park around 14:45, eager to resume riding. So far, I had ridden all four roller coasters at least once each (three of them at least twice each), but hadn't been on any of the non-coaster rides yet. For that reason, I decided to go on some non-coaster rides next.

Wave Swinger
My first ride of the afternoon was the Wave Swinger. Just like any other Wave Swinger, the central unit rose up and tilted as it spun around. Another fun ride, but once was enough for me for now. In fact, this was my only go on Wave Swinger all day.

Ultimate
A set of ride cars suspended from spokes protruding from a central structure. As the central structure spins clockwise at high speed, the ride cars go up and down over the perimeter undulations, and are flung outwards due to centrifugal force. I sat in car 2. Although another fun ride, once was enough for me. This ended up being my only go on Ultimate all day.

X Factory
This KMG ride looks and works like a Miami. Its row of seats beneath two vertical arms goes up, sideways and down. The ride also has water jets, but they aren't always used; I can't remember whether or not they were used this time. Going up, across and down was extremely exciting. One ride on X Factory was enough for me for now; in fact, this was my only go on it all day, as I didn't return to it later.

Afternoon Coffee
The time was now 15:30, and I felt like having a coffee somewhere. I went to Starbucks, at Brean Splash Waterpark, where I enjoyed a Caffe Americano Tall. Having finished my coffee, I returned to Brean Theme Park eager to continue riding.

Wild Water
A log flume. When it was my turn, I got into a log and set off. The log went up the first lift hill, and down creating a splash. After that it went up the second (taller) lift hill, and down creating an even bigger splash. Finally, the log returned to the station. Altogether a fun ride. Afterwards I had a second go.

Sizzler
Just about everyone in the RCCGB must have been on this sort of ride at least once somewhere; you may have seen it called Twister or perhaps Cyclone. For some strange reason, Brean Theme Park call theirs Sizzler, I'm not sure why. Another fun ride, and still one of my favourite non-coaster rides. For now, I just had one go.

Wipeout
A Freak-Out / Afterburner type ride which swings and spins. Each set of four seats faces inwards. The ride was great fun. Although I thoroughly enjoyed this ride, by the time it finished I felt I'd been on there long enough. Put it this way, there's no way on Earth I could have two goes straight off on this type of ride. In fact, my one go on Wipeout now was my only go it all day.

Astro Storm
Now for a few more goes on the indoor coaster Astro Storm. This time I ended up having three goes, on Si2 front, Si2 back, Si2 centre. Interestingly, all three were in the same train, albeit different rows.

Cold Drink Break
I was now feeling really hot, so I went to Bucket and Spade bar-restaurant to have some sort of refreshing, cold drink. I had a 200ml bottle of Britvic orange juice, served in a glass, with ice. The perfect way to cool down late afternoon on a hot, summer day. At 17:55 I returned to Brean Theme Park, to have as many rides as I could before I left.

Caterpillar Coaster
So far, I had only been on this little coaster once, whereas I had ridden the other three coasters more than once, so I decided to ride Caterpillar Coaster again. I limited myself to just one go, which consisted of two laps.

Magic Mouse
Next, I rode the mouse coaster Magic Mouse. I sat in car 6, and the ride experience was just the same as when I rode it in the morning. This time I only had one go on Magic Mouse, which turned out to be my final coaster ride of the day.

Sizzler
My final ride before leaving was the Sizzler. Just like when I rode it earlier, Sizzler gave its riders an exciting spin around. A fast and thrilling ride to round off my day at Brean. Once the ride ended, I exited Brean Theme Park and headed straight for the bus stop.

Summary of day in order of activity

Astro Storm 5
Crazy Loop 2
Magic Mouse 2
Caterpillar Coaster 1

Lunch at Subway
Walk along part of Brean Beach

Wave Swinger 1
Ultimate 1
X Factory 1

Coffee at Starbucks, Brean Splash Waterpark

Wild Water log flume 2
Sizzler (Cyclone) 1
Wipeout 1
Astro Storm 3

Orange juice at Bucket and Spade bar/restaurant

Caterpillar Coaster 1
Magic Mouse 1
Sizzler (Cyclone) 1

Cumulative Summary of Rides

Ride
Total
Astro Storm
8
Caterpillar Coaster
2
Crazy Loop
2
Magic Mouse
3
Sizzler
2
Ultimate
1
Wave Swinger
1
Wild Water
2
Wipeout
1
X Factory
1
TOTAL
23

Back to the top

Saturday Evening

Bus to Weston-super-Mare
I returned to Brean Leisure Park bus stop just in time for the 18:35 bus to Weston-super-Mare. At 19:11 I left the bus at Clarence Road North bus stop, in Weston-super-Mare, and walked northwards along the sea front lawns. Along the way, I had a few pictures taken of me.

Takeaway
Around 19:30 I got to Winston's Fish Bar, whereupon I ordered cod, standard chips and mushy peas to take away. Having left, I sat at one of the seats on the paved area across the road from the beach to eat them. Fish and chips are one must-have to enjoy at the seaside. After I had finished my fish and chips, it was time for another seaside must-have, a takeaway Whippy ice cream from Charlie's Gelateria.

Remaining Time in Weston-super-Mare
After I finished my ice cream, I aimed to begin my journey home on the 20:50 train to Bristol Temple Meads, but I still had time to spare before I needed to start walking back to the railway station. To fill time, I walked along part of the beach (between Grand Pier and Seaquarium). Having left the beach, I still had time for an Americano at Brunello Lounge Café Bar before I needed to start walking back to the the station

Journey Home
Back at the railway station, I caught the 20:50 train to Bristol Temple Meads. Having arrived there at 21:28, the next train calling at Bath Spa was due to depart Bristol Temple Meads at 21:47, but was delayed, and finally departed at 22:01. I finally arrived Bath Spa at 22:12, and home a few minutes later.

Outro

Highlights
Re-riding all four coasters and many other rides that I first rode September 2011.
Having five goes straight off on Astro Storm during the morning.
Good total ride count, allowing for refreshment breaks and after-lunch walk.
Perfect weather for this day out.

Summing Up
Altogether a coaster crazy day out at Brean Theme Park on the last day of June 2018. This was my eighth visit to Brean to-date and my seventh solo visit there. It was great riding all four coasters (Astro Storm, Caterpillar Coaster, Crazy Loop, Magic Mouse) and other several non-coaster rides again. Just one point about the four coasters, they're all steel. Come on Brean, get some wood! Best of all it was sunny from when I arrived at Weston in the morning, and very hot (almost too hot) during the afternoon. My ride count was slightly down on my previous visit in September 2017 but, allowing for my refreshment breaks, and my after-lunch walk, it was still a good ride count.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment