Tuesday 23 April 2019

RCCGB Woodathon 2018 (Day 2)

Date: Sunday 7 October 2018
Venue: Drayton Manor Park
Who Went: Me and a large number of other RCCGB members, including Andy and Christine Hine, Adey and Katelyn Hikin, Kellie, Ann Morgan, Brian, Barry Frost, Derek and Saffron Eddy, Martin Spruce, Michael Argent Lord, Robert Nutter, Ryan Hackett, Stevie Bee.

DISCLAIMER: The above is NOT intended to be an exhaustive list of everyone who attended. It's a small sample of attendees; mainly those I spoke to and/or rode with at Drayton Manor Park. I sincerely apologise to anyone else who was there and I've not listed. Not all attendees (whether or not listed above) were present all day.

Rationale for Trip
The RCCGB's annual two-day autumn event to mark the end of the coaster season: Alton Towers on the Saturday and Drayton Manor Park on the Sunday. For several years, this trip has been called Loopathon, but in the light of plans to ride the new wooden coaster, Wicker Man at Alton Towers on the Saturday, this trip was renamed Woodathon for this year. Whether or not the name will revert to Loopathon next year is currently uncertain. It's ironic that the name Woodathon applied to both days, because Drayton Manor Park still doesn't have a wooden roller coaster. Just like all previous years, members had the choice of attending either or both days; for various reasons I attended Drayton Manor Park only. This was my sixth time of attending Loopathon / Woodathon day 2 (Drayton Manor Park), and my eighth Loopathon / Woodathon overall since joining the RCCGB in March 2005.

Sunday First Thing
I awoke at 06:45, in order to get ready and have breakfast at 08:00. For breakfast I had a full English breakfast and a pot of coffee. Having finished my breakfast, I walked to Drayton Manor Park with my luggage; it took me about 15 minutes to walk from the front door of The Plough Fazeley to Park View Suite, at Drayton Manor Hotel. Fortunately, it was sunny at the time, albeit rather chilly.

Day at Drayton Manor Park

Welcome to Drayton Manor Park
When I arrived around 08:55, Woodathon attendees were in the Park View Suite, at Drayton Manor Hotel, awaiting entry. A slide show of pictures, taken at RCCGB trips over the past 30 years, was being projected on one wall to keep attendees amused whilst waiting. My biggest concern, still on my mind, was arranging a lift to a suitable railway station in the evening, and where to put my large bag during the day. Unfortunately, I was unable to arrange a lift before the morning ERS, so for now I left my large bag by one wall in the Park View Suite. Coffee and cookies were available free of charge, so I had a cup of coffee and a cookie. Just before the Club was due to enter the Park, Nev gave a short speech; among other items he said there were free souvenir mugs (bearing the Woodathon logo and date of this visit) on one table in the room for us to take, one per person. The Club entered the Park at 09:33.

Apocalypse ERS
The day began with an ERS on the 54 metres tall drop tower Apocalypse. When fully operational, there are three ride options: sit down, stand up with floor, stand up no floor. The last few years, stand up no floor has been unavailable, but thankfully it was working this time. Naturally this time, I was eager to try out all three ride options. In all cases, a large clasp comes down, locks on to the top of the rider unit and pulls the rider unit to the top of the tower. After a short delay, the rider unit is released for a freefall drop.

Sit down
I began with the easy option: sit down. Once seated, the harness was pulled down and the rider unit was raised to the top. The ascent was quite scary, but eventually the rider unit reached the top of the tower. One can see for miles whilst momentarily at the top. The freefall drop was quite scary, but I remained quiet during the ride.

Stand up with floor
I was now keen to try the stand up with floor option. There was just a narrow saddle (similar to a bicycle saddle) to fit between my legs whilst standing, and a harness to hold me in place. The rider unit tilted forwards a little at the start of its ascent, which made the ride experience somewhat scarier. Having reached the top, the drop was considerably more frightening in the standing position.

Stand up no floor
This option was unavailable during Loopathon 2014 to 2017 inclusive, but was back in operation this time, so I was really eager to try this option next. Once again, there was a narrow bicycle saddle type seat between my legs and a harness to hold me in place. The only difference was that there was no floor beneath my feet, which made the ride even scarier.

Remaining Goes
Having now tried all three ride options once each, I had time for five more stand up goes, some with and some without floor. This is the order in which I continued riding: stand up with floor, stand up no floor, stand up with floor, stand up no floor (twice without leaving and re-entering between them). At 10:29 an announcement was made, stating that the morning ERS was officially over.

Summary of my rides on Apocalypse this ERS: Sit down 1, Stand up with floor 3, Stand up no floor 4. Did anyone beat me on that?

Morning Freetime
When the morning ERS ended, the rides across the whole park opened at 10:30. Several RCCGB members headed towards Maelstrom for a takeover. However, I rode a series of other rides instead, starting with Pandemonium.

Pandemonium
A Fabbri 360° swinging inverter ride. There are two vertical arms which pivot about a central point. At the base of each arm are four back-to-back sets of seats (four seats per direction per set). That amounts to a total of 32 seats per arm. Riders are held in by an over-the-shoulder restraint, plus a secondary harness. Once everyone was secured, the arms began swinging a little way forwards and backwards, then further forwards and backwards, until they reached high obtuse angles each direction. Eventually the arms went right over the top to send riders through a complete rotation; that meant being upside down momentarily whilst passing over the top. Towards the end, the swings gradually got smaller and smaller until the ride stopped. Altogether a mega fun ride, but once was enough for me for now. This turned out to be my only go on Pandemonium all day, as I didn't return to it later.

Flying Dutchman
A variation on a chair-o-plane, consisting of small blue boats on the ends of wires hanging from a central carousel. At the time of Loopathon 2016, this ride had been dismantled as it seemed Flying Dutchman would never operate again. Much to my surprise, Drayton Manor Park managed to get it reassembled and back in action for the 2017 season, and it was still operating throughout the 2018 season. Whilst the ride is stationary, all the boats are on the ground. I got into boat number 15. When the ride starts, the boats are lifted from the ground, the carousel spins clockwise, and the boats are forced outwards, just like on a chair-o-plane. Eventually the ride slows down and the boats are lowered to the ground when the ride stops. Another fun ride, but once was enough for me on this. In fact, this was my only go on Flying Dutchman all day.

Accelerator
This Vekoma Family Boomerang 185m began operating at Drayton Manor Park under the name Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission in April 2011. At the start of the 2017 season it was re-themed and renamed Accelerator. This is still the only such model in the UK. Riders enter via the arcade. When the coaster was renamed Accelerator, the arcade was rethemed around motor racing. The arcade currently includes an area which resembles a motor mechanic's workshop, and a stack of tyres. The coaster itself, which is entirely outside, hasn't changed much since its name change; both the train and the track are still green. When it was my turn to get on, I sat in the fourth row. The train was pulled backwards to the top of the launch hill, released and went around its course until it reached the top of another hill the other end. Having reached a dead end, the train had to travel backwards the way it had just come. On the return journey it overshot the station to go up the launch hill part way, and had to travel forwards again to terminate at the station. Basically, Accelerator's journey from start to finish was no different to its Ben 10 days; at the end of the day it's still the same ride even after the change of name and theme. For now, I only had one go on Accelerator, but it turned out to be my only go all day, as I didn't return to it later. On the whole, a fun ride, but tame compared to the much larger Boomerang at Pleasure Island Cleethorpes which I rode in summer 2010.

The Bounty Pirate Ship
A swinging pirate ship, need I say more? It didn't take me long to get on this. I can't remember where I sat in the boat, but anyway whilst the ride was in motion, I felt the swinging effect. A mega fun ride, but once was enough for me; I'm not sure my body could have stuck two goes straight off.

Shockwave
This Intamin Stand-Up Coaster has been operating since 1994, and is one of only two stand-up coasters in Europe. I sat in the back row. The train set off up the lift hill, around a vertical loop, another inversion and a double corkscrew before returning to the station. For now, I limited myself to just one go on Shockwave.

Stormforce 10
A variation on a log flume, the boats seat several riders. You have to go upstairs to reach the platform. Riders are warned they will get very wet on this ride, which is why I donned my cagoule and leggings before getting into the boat. I sat in the back row. The boat set off downhill from the station, around a u-bend, around a spiral and up a lift hill to a dead end. The boat was now on a turntable, which rotated the boat to go down another slope backwards! As expected, there was a mighty splash at the bottom. The boat was now on another turntable, which rotated it again, to continue forwards along the rest of the journey. Further along, the boat went around a u-bend, up another lift hill (taller than the previous one), around two bends to the left and down a drop, to create an even bigger splash. Finally, the boat completed its journey with two more bends to the left and a final climb back to the station. Wow, a mega fun ride, it's much more than your average log flume (such as the ones at Flambards or Oakwood). One go was enough for me though; in fact, this was my only go all day as I didn't return to it later. Having left Stormforce 10 I removed my cagoule and leggings.

Maelstrom
At last, I finally approached Maelstrom. This Intamin large gyro swing has outward facing seats. The ride set off spinning and swinging for a few minutes, until it slowed down and stopped. Altogether a fun and enjoyable ride, but once was enough for me. No way could I take two goes straight off! In fact, this ended up being my only go of the day on Maelstrom. Furthermore, this was my final ride before lunch.

Lunch at Park View Suite
At 12:30 members exited the Park and returned to the Park View Suite, at Drayton Manor Hotel, for lunch; however, it was a little later when I left the Park and headed for the Park View Suite. Once there I looked for somewhere to sit. Most seats were already taken, but I managed to find a vacant seat. The queue was fairly short, as several members had already got their food. A wide assortment of food was available; most of which was served by the staff behind the table. I had egg fried rice, a meat dish, a noodle dish, fried vegetables (which included courgettes and mange-tout), and some side salad. Once I had a plate full of food, I returned to my seat and enjoyed my main course. Of course, a meal is not complete without a dessert. The dessert was a tiny scoop of sorbet, accompanied with fruit chunks. Altogether this was a delicious and filling two-course meal.

After everyone had finished eating, the Chairman Colin Bryan, gave a speech. He spoke about various park matters, particularly the current state of G-Force. In addition, a raffle was held.

Finally, Michael Argent Lord was willing to take me to Tamworth station after the evening ERS, but I was unable to put my big bag in his car boot at this stage as he had to give someone else a lift to somewhere nearby just after lunch. I couldn't leave my big bag in the Park View Suite either, as the Club had finished using it. Fortunately, the hotel had a left luggage facility. Although I didn't actually stay there the previous night, they allowed me to leave my big bag there for the afternoon.

Afternoon Freetime
At 14:15 I returned to the park and resumed riding.

Sheriff's Showdown
Formerly Wild West Shoot Out until 2017, this was my first time of seeing this ride called Sheriff's Showdown. This features a series of ride cars which follow a track around a wild west themed building. When I first rode this during Loopathon 2016, and again during Loopathon 2017, I rode this alone. This time I happened to share a car with Brian; I sat in the front row, whereas Brian was in the back row. The cars have electronic guns which you fire at the targets on the way around. Both of us tried shooting the targets along the way around, but my attempts were hit and miss. Sometimes I successfully got the target light to illuminate and thus scored points, but there were several occasions when the light at the centre of the target failed to illuminate and I scored no points. At certain points one can successfully shoot three closely placed targets in rapid succession and score bonus points. At the end of the ride my score was 5700 points, and Brian's score was 7000 points. Clearly Brian was better than me at shooting! Nonetheless, at least my score was a slight improvement on my 5200 points in 2017, and a considerable improvement on my 3150 points 2016. A fun ride, but this was my only ride on this all day. After I left Sheriff's Showdown, I went around the Park alone.

Drunken Barrels
Being as Drunken Barrels are located next-door to Sheriff's Showdown, made sense for me to ride these next. I first rode Drunken Barrels during Loopathon 2016. Basically, these are a variation on a tea cup ride. Groups of barrels spin on small spinning turntables, on the main turntable which also spins. I sat in one of the barrels. Shortly after starting the whole lot was elevated at the back end so as to function on an angle. Sitting in a spinning barrel, on a spinning small turntable, on the spinning main turntable at an angle made for a weird ride sensation to say the least! A fun ride, but once was enough for me; I don't think I could stick two goes straight off on this sort of ride. This was my only go on here all day.

Buffalo Coaster
This Zamperla Buffalo Coaster is a powered coaster. It has been operating since 1987, which makes it the oldest coaster currently operating at Drayton Manor Park. One go consists of two laps. Although the circuit is quite long, it doesn't rise and fall much, and there are no inversions. I had to wait a few runs to get on it, however since there were a few other RCCGB members further back in the queue, I spoke to them whilst passing them at the applicable points in the zig-zag. When I was among the batch of riders whose turn it was to ride, I sat in one of the seats and enjoyed the ride. Although tame, this was worth riding to add to my total ride count for the day. Due to the longish queuing time I limited myself to one go on Buffalo Coaster, and didn't return to it later.

Jolly Buccaneer
Boats at the ends of spokes, which are attached to a central ring. Each boat has a sail to complete the pirate theming. When the ride starts, the boats at the ends of their spokes go up and down as well as round and round clockwise. Presumably the up and down motion is to simulate sailing rough seas. I sat in boat number 12. Once seated, I spotted Derek and Saffron Eddy, and Barry Frost, seated elsewhere on Jolly Buccaneer. Although a rather tame ride, it was still great fun. I only had one go on Jolly Buccaneer, which turned to be my only go on it all day. Having left Jolly Buccaneer, I briefly spoke to Barry, Derek and Saffron nearby.

Afternoon Coffee
I now felt like a coffee, so I went to Lakeside Teashop for a much-needed fresh bean coffee. Having finished my coffee, I went into Thomas Land to have a few rides there during what remained of normal opening time. Knowing the Club was going to be riding Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster during the evening ERS, I deliberately gave that a miss for now, and stuck to riding other rides there instead.

Jeremy Jet's Flying Academy
An aeroplane themed ride in Thomas Land, featuring planes on spokes, which travel around the central point. I had plane number 1 to myself. By touching a lever it's possible to make the plane rise as it travels around the central point. Another fun ride, albeit a rather tame one. I only had one go on this.

James and the Red Balloon
This ride began operating at Thomas Land in 2017. It features red and orange striped balloons with baskets beneath them. Each balloon / basket assembly is attached, just below the balloon, to a central mechanism. I managed to have a basket to myself, that being basket number 2. As the balloons began travelling around clockwise, relative to the ground, they were gradually lifted vertically, and were eventually tilted so riders were going around clockwise on an angle. In addition, one could turn a central disc within the basket to turn the balloon. Eventually, the balloons levelled off, were lowered towards the ground and the ride stopped. Altogether this was an odd ride sensation to say the least. On the whole, this is fun, but hardly a thrill ride. This was my only go on this ride all day.

Harold's Helicopter Tours
Another flight themed ride in Thomas Land, this features mini helicopters around a pole. I had a helicopter to myself. Once the ride started, the helicopters rose to the top of the pole and travelled around it, thereby giving riders a view of Thomas Land. Eventually the helicopters returned to ground level and the ride stopped. Another fun ride, but my one ride on this now was my only go on this all day.

Rocking Bulstrode
Another Thomas Land ride. Unlike a normal pirate ship, this swings and spins about a central base pivot, in the same manner as the Zamperla Rock 'n' Tug I've ridden at various other parks. A fun ride, but once was enough for me; I don't think I could ride this twice straight off, due to the way it works.

Cranky's Tower Drop
Having left Rocking Bulstrode, I immediately proceeded to neighbouring Cranky's Tower Drop, in Thomas Land. This is a mini drop tower. The seats are arranged on a circular seating unit surrounding the tower. It was in progress when I approached it, and closing time was fast approaching, but there was another run to follow. I got on to the very next run; I sat in seat 12. Once everyone was harnessed in, the seat unit rose and fell several times, but I didn't bother counting how many rises and falls there were. Naturally this felt tame compared to Apocalypse in the morning, but it was nonetheless a fun ride. This was my only go on Cranky's Tower Drop all day. Furthermore, this was my Thomas Land ride during normal opening time, because having left Cranky's Tower Drop, the Park was officially closed.

Evening ERS
Now that the Park had officially closed, it was time for our one-hour evening ERS on Shockwave and Troublesome Trucks. I proceeded from Thomas Land to the area in front of Shockwave, as that was where members were expected to gather prior to the ERS.

Shockwave
I began the ERS by having four goes on the stand-up coaster Shockwave. My second go was in the front row, thereby giving me an unobstructed view of the track on the way around. Shockwave had been running since 10:30, but I noticed no difference in the ride experience compared to my one go on it during the morning.

Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster
So far, I hadn't ridden this coaster in Thomas Land during normal opening time, so I was determined to fit in a few goes on it during what remained of the evening ERS. This Gerstlauer Junior Coaster (Custom) has been operating since March 2008. Although only a family coaster, and a rather tame ride, it is still great fun. I ended up having five goes on this during what was left of the ERS.

Summary of my rides this ERS: Shockwave 4, Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster 5. Did anyone beat me on that?

Final Send-Off
When the ERS ended, members reunited near the Carousel for the final send-off. Once everyone was present members formed a circle for a variation of Hokey Cokey. Instead of singing "You do the hokey cokey" we were asked to sing "You shout coaster crazy". Just like the last few years, we did three verses: 1) left arm in / out, 2) right arm in / out, and 3) whole self in / out. Is there any reason why the Club doesn't do the whole song (left arm, right arm, left leg, right leg, whole self). At the end first timers were called into the centre to form a small circle facing outwards for the group hug. This officially marked the end of the 2018 coaster season; at least as far as RCCGB trips are concerned.

Finally, everyone headed out of Drayton Manor Park. I spoke to Adey on the way out. Back at the car park, members said their last goodbyes before heading home. I briefly went into Drayton Manor Hotel to collect my big bag.

Summary of my day in order of activity

Apocalypse ERS
Sit down
Stand up with floor
Stand up no floor
Stand up with floor
Stand up no floor
Stand up with floor
Stand up no floor (twice without recirculating)

Morning free time:
Pandemonium 1
Flying Dutchman 1
Accelerator 1
The Bounty Pirate Ship 1
Shockwave 1
Stormforce 10 1
Maelstrom 1

Lunch (including speech from Colin Bryan, Chairman)

Afternoon free time:
Sheriff's Showdown 1
Drunken Barrels 1
Buffalo Coaster 1
Jolly Buccaneer 1

Coffee at Lakeside Teashop

Jeremy Jet's Flying Academy 1
James and the Red Balloon 1
Harold's Helicopter Tours 1
Rocking Bulstrode 1
Cranky's Tower Drop 1

Evening ERS
Shockwave 4
Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster 5

Hokey cokey and group hug

Cumulative Summary of My Rides (ERSs and Freetime Combined)

Ride
Total
Accelerator
1
Apocalypse
8
Buffalo Coaster
1
Cranky's Tower Drop
1
Drunken Barrels
1
Flying Dutchman
1
Harold's Helicopter Tours
1
James and the Red Balloon
1
Jeremy Jet's Flying Academy
1
Jolly Buccaneer
1
Maelstrom
1
Pandemonium
1
Rocking Bulstrode
1
Sheriff's Showdown
1
Shockwave
5
Stormforce 10
1
The Bounty Pirate Ship
1
Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster
5
TOTAL
33

Journey Home
Having collected my large bag, Michael Argent Lord took me and a few others to Tamworth station. Having said goodbye to him I caught the 18:45 CrossCountry train bound for Plymouth. Although I could have stayed on that train all the way to Bristol Temple Meads, I broke my journey at Birmingham New Street in order to have something to eat at McDonald's, Exchange Buildings, Birmingham. There I enjoyed a large Jamaican Chicken burger, which included large fries and a large drink (I chose Sprite), followed by a Smarties McFlurry. Back at Birmingham New Street I caught the 20:12 CrossCountry train from Birmingham New Street to Bristol Temple Meads. The final leg of my journey was the 22:15 GWR train to Bath Spa. I finally reached Bath Spa at 22:49, and home shortly afterwards.

Outro

Highlights
Morning ERS on Apocalypse.
Being able to ride Apocalypse stand up no floor, for the first time since Loopathon 2011, during the morning ERS.
Re-riding the currently operating coasters (Accelerator, Shockwave, Buffalo Coaster, Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster) which I first rode during Loopathon 2011.
High overall ride count (ERSs and free time combined).
Delicious and filling two-course lunch at Towers Suite.
Evening ERS on Shockwave and Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster.
Hokey Cokey and group hug at the end.

Lowlights
G-Force no longer operating.

Unexpected Surprises
Free mugs for everyone for the sixth year running.

Summing Up
Another excellent Club trip, and a great turnout too. The weather was quite good; dry all day, and sunny most of the day. It was great meeting Andy Hine, Adey, Brian and various other members again. It's a pity G-Force was no longer operating, but nonetheless it was great ride the four remaining roller coasters (Accelerator, Shockwave, Buffalo Coaster, Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster) and several other rides again. Just one point, coasters here are all steel. Come on Drayton Manor, get some wood! Best of all was being able to ride Apocalypse stand up no floor, for the first time since Loopathon 2011, during the morning ERS. Previously, I had only ridden it that way once during the Loopathon 2011 morning ERS. Since then, I didn't attend either day of Loopathon in 2012 and 2013, and stand up no floor was unavailable every Loopathon from 2014 to 2017 inclusive. Thankfully this time I enjoyed not just one, but four stand up no floor goes on Apocalypse during the morning ERS.

Many members liked my 47th birthday T-shirt; I wore that as Loopathon day 2 happened exactly one week after my birthday (30 September 2018). At least I managed to have considerably more rides at Drayton Manor Park during normal opening time alone (not counting morning and evening ERSs) than I had all day during my birthday visit to Thorpe Park exactly one week earlier. For the sixth year running, the Park provided free souvenir mugs. This seems to have become an annual tradition since 2013; I thought it was originally meant to be a one-off for the Club's 25th anniversary special in 2013 (which I didn't attend).

Many thanks to Andy Hine for organising this trip, the ride staff for operating Apocalypse before opening and two coasters after closing, the catering staff for the delicious and filling lunch, and Chairman Colin Bryan for his speech. Thanks also to Michael Argent Lord for kindly giving me a lift to Tamworth station in the evening.

Roll on the 2019 Blackpool Bash, I hope to be there.

Reflections
Having first joined the RCCGB in March 2005, here is my updated track record for Loopathon attendance in 14 years of membership 2005 to 2018 inclusive:

2005 & 2006: Alton Towers only
2007 to 2010: Did not attend Loopathon at all
2011: Drayton Manor only
2012 & 2013: Did not attend Loopathon at all
2014 to 2018: Drayton Manor only

So, this can be summed up as:
2 x Alton Towers only (2005, 2006)
6 x Drayton Manor only (2011, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
6 x Missed Loopathon altogether (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013)

After all this time, I've still never attended a complete Loopathon in a single year. I really ought to try and make the effort to do so next year in what will be my 15th year of RCCGB membership. That said, my biggest difficulty with me attending both days would be arranging lifts, especially from Alton Towers to somewhere near Drayton Manor Saturday evening. Arranging lifts when I attend one day only is tricky enough; I only need to look back at my last three years of attending Drayton Manor only. Being as I can't drive, I really need to think long and hard about whether or not it's sensible and/or practical for me to continue attending one let alone both days of Loopathon (or Woodathon if that's to become its permanent name) in future. If I'm to attend one day only next year, perhaps I ought to do Alton Towers only; it's sad to think the last time I went there at all (Loopathon 2006), Corkscrew was still operating (and I rode it that day). Th13teen, Smiler and Wicker Man have opened since then, and I've yet to ride them!

At least my consecutive attendance of Loopathon day 2 - Drayton Manor (2014 to 2018 inclusive - five years) now exceeds my continuous run of missing Loopathon altogether (2007 to 2010 inclusive - four years).

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment