Wednesday 24 April 2019

Nemesis Nick at Funland 20 Oct 2018 Midi Report

Date: Saturday 20 October 2018
Venue: Funland, Hayling Island
Who Went: Just me

N.B. Any use of "today" or "Saturday" in this report means Saturday 20 October 2018.

Rationale for Trip
After my birthday outing to Thorpe Park and RCCGB Loopathon day 2 at Drayton Manor Park, I fancied a last-minute bonus coaster trip to Funland, Hayling Island one Saturday during what remained of October 2018. For various reasons I chose to go on Saturday 20 October 2018.

Getting to Funland
In one respect, this was a bad day to go to Funland Hayling Island, because part of the train journey from Bath Spa to Havant, via Westbury and Salisbury, required travelling on a rail replacement bus. I began my journey on the 07:36 train from Bath Spa to Warminster, followed by the 08:21 rail replacement bus to Salisbury. Having arrived there at 08:58, I had time to enjoy a regular Americano and a butter croissant at Pumpkin, before I continued my journey on the 09:33 train to Fareham, followed by the 10:39 train to Havant. I completed my journey on the 11:06 bus from Havant Bus Station to Beachlands.

Funland, Hayling Island

Morning Riding
Having finally arrived Beachlands at 11:36, I went straight into Funland and bought myself an all-day wristband. Without further ado, I headed straight for Runaway Mine Train. This mouse coaster, which previously operated at Gulliver's Warrington as Wild Mine Ride from 1999 to 2015, began operating at Funland as Runaway Mine Train in 2016. Although its ride cars are truck-like, the ride experience was similar to other steel mouse coasters. For now, I had four goes; two in the front row, followed by two in the back row. Next, I had two goes on Funlandasaurus (formerly Super Dragon), front row followed by back row. Now that I had ridden both roller coasters at least twice each, I wanted to ride the two log flumes; I donned my all-in-one splashsuit to prevent myself getting wet on them. I began by having two goes on Dino Falls, as I already happened to be near it. Although Dino Falls is just a mini log flume, it's still great fun. Afterwards I enjoyed two goes on the large log flume, Beaver Creek Log Ride. Obviously this one gave a longer ride, and a mighty splash on landing. Having disembarked at the end of my second go, I removed my splashsuit, and didn't ride either log flume again later. After that, I rode Neptune's Fury, which has been operating at Funland since 2017. It features giant seashells on turntables, which work in a similar manner to a waltzer. A fun ride, and somewhat similar to Breakdance which disappeared from Funland a few years ago, but once was enough for me for now; in fact, I didn't return to it later. Nearby, I rode Spinning Pots (formerly known as Cannibal Pots), which is similar to a tea cup ride, but with cauldrons instead of cups. Although a fun ride, once was enough for now. My final ride before lunch was one go on Cyclone. This was great fun, and still one of my favourite non-coaster rides

Lunchtime and After
At 13:15 I went to Carousel Café, which is located within Funland, to have jacket potato with cheese, plus a mug of coffee, for lunch. Afterwards I went for a walk along the beach in an easterly direction, and across the grassland back to Funland. By now I felt warm enough in just a T-shirt and shorts in the direct sunshine outside.

Afternoon Riding
At 14:20 I returned to Funland and, without further ado, I returned to riding. I began by having two goes on Funlandasaurus, largely because I re-entered Funland by the entrance adjacent to it. My first non-coaster ride of the afternoon was the Samba Balloon; I had one go. Next, I had one go on Spinning Pots (in pot number 5), followed by two goes on Runaway Mine Train (both in the front row). The Rock 'n' Tug Bug is a brand new addition to Funland for 2018; it works in a similar manner to the Zamperla Rock 'n' Tug I've ridden at various other parks. A fun ride, but once was enough for me. After that, I had one go on Extreme, which is a Miami ride. At 15:45, I went to Carousel Café for a mug of coffee.

Having left Carousel Café for the final time, I tried to have as many rides as I could before they all closed at 17:00. I began by having one go on Cyclone. Next I had four goes on Runaway Mine Train; one in the back row followed by three in the front row. My fourth go of this batch of rides on Runaway Mine Train was my final coaster ride of the day. After that, I had one go on the Spinning Pots, this time in pot number 1. Finally, there was just enough time for me to have one go on Cyclone (which turned out to be its final run of the day). The perfect ride to round off my day at Funland.

Evening Meal
The rides closed at 17:00. However, Seaview Fish & Chips, which is part of Funland, remained open a little longer, so I bought takeaway cod and large chips from there, and ate them at one of the picnic style tables outside. Although I enjoyed them, I ended up rushing them as the bus I intended to catch was due to depart Beachlands bus stop at 17:36.

Summary of day in order of activity

Runaway Mine Train 4
Funlandasaurus 2
Dino Falls 2
Beaver Creek Log Ride 2
Neptune's Fury 1
Spinning Pots (Cannibal Pots) 1
Cyclone 1

Lunch at Carousel Café
Walk along part of the beach and grassland

Funlandasaurus 2
Samba Balloon 1
Spinning Pots (Cannibal Pots) 1
Runaway Mine Train 2
Rock 'n' Tug Bug 1
Extreme 1

Coffee at Carousel Café

Cyclone 1
Runaway Mine Train 4
Spinning Pots (Cannibal Pots) 1
Cyclone 1

Takeaway cod and large chips from Seaview Fish & Chips at Funland, Hayling Island

Cumulative Summary of Rides

Ride
Total
Beaver Creek Log Ride
2
Cyclone
3
Dino Falls
2
Extreme
1
Funlandasaurus
4
Neptune's Fury
1
Rock 'n' Tug Bug
1
Runaway Mine Train
10
Samba Balloon
1
Spinning Pots (Cannibal Pots)
3
TOTAL
28

Journey Home
Back at Beachlands bus stop, I caught the 17:36 bus to Havant Bus Station. Having got there at 17:59, I bought myself a takeaway white coffee from a shop en route to the railway station. Once there, I caught the 18:21 train to Fareham, followed by the 18:47 train to Salisbury. Having arrived there at 19:38, I just had time to buy myself a regular Americano from Pumpkin, before continuing my journey on the 19:50 rail replacement bus to Warminster. I was able to consume my coffee on the bus, which arrived Warminster railway station at 20:30. Once there, I caught the 21:00 train, which was supposed to go all the way to Bath Spa. Unfortunately, there was an unexpected extra change as everyone had to transfer to a replacement unit at Westbury. After that little inconvenience, the rest of the journey went without a hitch, and I arrived Bath Spa at 21:37. Soon afterwards, I was home at the end of a long day out.

Outro

Highlights
High overall ride count.
Adding Rock 'n' Tug Bug to my ride count.
Riding Runaway Mine Train, Funlandasaurus, both log flumes and other rides again.
Rides mostly walk-on.
Warm, dry, sunny weather whilst at Funland.

Lowlights
Extended journey time both directions, due to rail replacement buses between Warminster and Salisbury.

Summing Up
Altogether another coaster crazy day out, during which I enjoyed two roller coasters, two log flumes and six other rides. It was great adding the brand new ride Rock 'n' Tug Bug to my ride count, and riding the Runaway Mine Train, Funlandasaurus, both log flumes and various other rides again. Despite a chilly start to the day, accompanied by fog for much of my morning journey, my day at Funland turned out sunny and surprisingly warm for this time in October. In fact, in direct sunshine I felt warm enough in just a T-shirt and shorts outside much of the afternoon. The biggest hinderance was the replacement bus service between Warminster and Salisbury, as that meant more changes, and a longer overall travelling time, than usual both directions. Four hours' travelling time both directions meant I spent a total of eight hours travelling, including waiting for connections, that day. Despite that, it was definitely worthwhile me travelling from Bath to Hayling Island and back in one day just to visit such a small park. Most rides were walk-on, and whenever there was a queue, it was very short, hence I managed to get a high ride count, even allowing for my lunch break and after-lunch walk along the beach. Since this turned out to be my final visit to an amusement park for 2018, I can call this my final send-off to the 2018 coaster season.

A more detailed report is available here

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment