Tuesday 14 May 2019

Eurovision Song Contest 2019 First Semi-Final

Host country: Israel (Kan)
Venue: Expo Tel Aviv (International Convention Center), Tel Aviv, Israel
Hosts: Bar Refaeli, Erez Tal
Green Room: Assi Azar, Lucy Ayoub
Date: Tuesday 14 May 2019

N.B. Any use of "tonight" or "this evening" throughout this post means Tuesday 14 May 2019. All times in this post are in BST.

The Opening
After the initial opening sequence, the first semi-final began with last year's winner, Netta performing her winning entry from last year, "TOY". This time she was accompanied by a large number of dancers on stage. At 20:08 the four hosts entered the stage, and gave their opening speech.

The Songs
Eleven minutes after the start of the show (20:11 BST) it was time for the first song. Each song was introduced by a postcard film related to the appropriate country.

Song 1: Cyprus - Tamta "Replay"
#CYP It's difficult assessing the first song in either semi-final. Tamta gave an impressive performance of "Replay", accompanied by four dancers, plus flashing lights and flame effects. A likeable song to start with, but I don't think "Replay" is as good as "Fuego" last year. Anyway, I think this deserves a place in the final.

Song 2: Montenegro - D mol "Heaven"
#MNE Montenegro has some impressive entries over the years, including 2014, 2015 and 2018. This year I was unimpressed by their 2019 offering from the moment I first saw the preview video online. This song is performed by six singers, taking turns to sing individually, and sometimes together. A nice idea, but the song is somewhat dull and boring really. I'd rather this didn't qualify for the final.

Song 3: Finland - Darude feat. Sebastian Rejman "Look Away"
#FIN Darude is famous for his instrumental "Sandstorm" from several years ago, which I first experienced during circuit training at Bath Sports Centre, and since then during the after-show disco during the Saturday evening of the RCCGB Blackpool Bash. I'm a bit disappointed with Darude's attempt at representing Finland in the Eurovision Song Contest this year with "Look Away". It's somewhat dull and unimpressive, not much better than Montenegro. I'd rather this doesn't qualify.

Song 4: Poland - Tulia "Fire of Love (Pali się)"
#POL Four singers in impressive red outfits. Whenever I saw the preview video, and I saw the preview video, and listened to this song on the ESC 2019 CD album, I didn't dislike it, but I wasn't overly keen on it. I like this considerably more sung live tonight; I think this is one of the better songs, and would like to see it in the final.

Song 5: Slovenia - Zala Kralj & Gašper Šantl "Sebi"
#SVN When I watched the Slovenian national final live online from the UK, I liked "Sebi", but was concerned it would be too quiet for Eurovision, and was surprised it made it to the Super Final, let alone qualified. Since it qualified, the song has grown on me, and I've loved both the online video and CD album recording. This evening I enjoyed the live performance just as much. I like the way the lady sings towards the man. Her voice may be soft, but perhaps the song is meant to be sung softly. The background graphics add to the magic of the song. I would definitely like this in the final.

Song 6: Czech Republic - Lake Malawi "Friend of a Friend"
#CZE From the moment I first saw the online video, I was unimpressed with "Friend of a Friend". The song is dull to begin with, before getting lively and repetitive. As for tonight's live performance, I question the need for the singer to dance around whilst singing. The staging is quite over the top too, what with the changing colour lights. Unsurprisingly this had the word "Friend" on the background screen in multiple languages during the song. I'd rather this stays out of the final.

A short break followed at this point.

Song 7: Hungary - Joci Pápai "Az én apám"
#HUN Joci Pápai previously represented Hungary with "Origo" two years ago. He's back this year, this time with "Az én apám". From the moment this won A Dal Final 2019 (which I didn't attempt to watch from the UK), I thought it was better than "Origo". I liked Joci's performance tonight, accompanied by the impressive graphics and firework effects. I'm mystified as to the significance of the faces on the back screen though. I wouldn't mind seeing this on Saturday evening, but wouldn't miss it if it's not there.

Song 8: Belarus - ZENA "Like It"
#BLR I watched the Belarussian national final live online from the UK, and thus saw this win and qualify. I didn't dislike this song when watching the preview video and hearing my ESC 2019 CD album, but it's definitely not one of the best songs out of this year's 41 contenders. Tonight's live performance was impressive I liked the on-stage dancers whilst she sung the chorus, and the lighting effects. The dance routine would be fun to join in and copy. Overall it's a catchy and fun song, but I'm not sure it deserves a place in the final. I wouldn't mind this qualifying, but wouldn't miss this on Saturday if it's not there.

Song 9: Serbia - Nevena Božović "Kruna"
#SRB Serbia has gone for a ballad this year. I quite liked it whilst watching the preview video, and listening to the ESC 2019 CD. In contrast, I'm a tad disappointed the live performance tonight. The on-stage graphics were impressive, but I'm not convinced the song is as good as I previously thought it was. I wouldn't mind this in the final, but am not overly desperate to see it there.

Song 10: Belgium - Eliot "Wake Up"
#BEL When the preview video appeared online, I was unimpressed with "Wake Up", but I think tonight's live performance is better. It's a good ballad, well sung, and I like the way he raises his arms. His two assistants add impact. I wouldn't mind this in the final.

Song 11: Georgia - Oto Nemsadze "Keep on Going"
#GEO From the moment I first saw the preview video of "Keep on Going", this was among my least liked first semi-final contenders. Quite honestly, it's an obscure and somewhat depressing song. Tonight's live performance isn't bad, but the background graphics are an order of magnitude better than the song. I hope this stays out of the final.

Song 12: Australia - Kate Miller-Heidke "Zero Gravity"
#AUS Say what you like about Australia now being allowed to perform in the Eurovision Song Contest at all, but like it or not, Australia are back this year. I didn't like this very much when it was first picked, but based on tonight's live performance, it's one of the best entries tonight. I love the impressive staging, which portrays a galaxy of stars, and the way the performers are on the bendy stilts. I'd definitely like this song in the final.

A short break followed at this point.

Song 13: Iceland - Hatari "Hatrið mun sigra"
#ISL When I watched Söngvakeppnin 2019 Final online live from the UK, on 2 March 2019, I hated this song most of all, and didn't want it to qualify. Against my wishes, it did, and is now Iceland's 2019 entry. The choruses are thrash metal, which is not my cup of tea. Despite my dislike for this song, I think the haunted style music in the verses goes well with the thrash metal choruses; a marriage made in heaven. The staging is impressive, including the flame effects. I'd rather this didn't qualify, but mark my words, it will. See you Saturday Iceland!

Song 14: Estonia - Victor Crone "Storm"
#EST Now for a much nicer song from Estonia. This reminds me of Sweden's "Popular" in 2011, but I don't think it's a weaker song. The staging was impressive, especially the forks of lightning towards the end. I'd like to see this in the final.

Song 15: Portugal - Conan Osiris "Telemóveis"
#POR Portugal have certainly gone for an unusual song this year; to me it sounds more like a Far Eastern song than a Portuguese song. When I saw the preview video, and heard this on the ESC 2019 album, I felt it's not bad, but I'm unimpressed by the live performance. In all truth and honesty, I'd rather this stays out of the final.

Song 16: Greece - Katerine Duska "Better Love"
#GRC For some time this has been tipped to win the First Semi-Final! Sadly those who have placed a bet on that will have to wait until after the Grand Final is over to know. As far as I'm concerned, when I first saw the preview video of "Better Love", I felt it's not bad, but I wasn't overly keen on it. It's certainly one of the better songs among tonight's live performances, I love the staging. I'd like to see this in the final.

Song 17: San Marino - Serhat "Say Na Na Na"
#SMR The final song already, it's shocking how time flies! Serhat, who has represented this microstate before, is back this year to sing "Say Na Na Na". After a dull start, the chorus is fun and catchy, and easy for anyone to sing along to. Altogether a fun song to round off tonight's semi-final, but it's probably best if it doesn't qualify, as there are plenty of superior songs more deserving of a place than this.

Back to the top

Televoting and Recap
After the songs finished, three of the hosts reappeared to announce the start of the voting at 21:25 BST. A recap of the songs followed. The UK was unable to vote in tonight's semi-final, and therefore UK viewers saw a message "UK viewers cannot vote tonight" at the bottom of the screen during the recap.

Back to the top

My Preferences
Here are my preferences based solely on all of tonight's performances:
Definitely want to qualify: Cyprus, Poland, Slovenia, Australia, Estonia, Greece.
Wouldn't mind qualifying: Hungary, Belarus, Serbia, Belgium.
Prefer not to qualify: Montenegro Finland, Czech Republic, Iceland, Portugal, San Marino
Definitely don't want to qualify: Georgia.

So these are the ones I want to see Saturday night: Cyprus, Poland, Slovenia, Australia, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Belarus, Serbia, Belgium.

Had the UK been voting in this semi-final, I would have voted for: Cyprus, Poland, Slovenia, Australia, Estonia, Greece.

Back to the top

Eurovision Song Contest 2019 First Semi-Final Results

Here are the results, which were announced in a random order at 22:04 BST. Any use of "tonight" still means Tuesday 14 May 2019.

My desired qualifiers: Cyprus, Poland, Slovenia, Australia, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Belarus, Serbia, Belgium.

Actual qualifiers (in order of announcement): Greece, Belarus, Serbia, Cyprus, Estonia, Czech Republic, Australia, Iceland, San Marino Slovenia,

Bold entries represent the actual qualifiers that match my preferences.

OUT: Belgium, Finland, Georgia, Hungary, Montenegro, Poland, Portugal.

I'm overjoyed that Slovenia qualified, as I particularly liked their song. Although the lady's voice may seem soft, the song is probably meant to be sung softly. I liked it from the moment it won the Slovenian national final EMA 2019. When the first nine qualifiers had been called, I was desperately hoping the tenth qualifier would be Slovenia, and thankfully it was. That means I'll be able to vote for Slovenia in the final.

I'm also glad that Australia is thorough. Though I didn't think much of the "Zero Gravity" when it was chosen to represent Australia, I thought it was one of the best live performances tonight. The staging was out of this world, and it could do well on Saturday night. Also, I'm glad Cyprus, Estonia and Greece are all through, as they gave impressive performances tonight, and thus were among the six countries on my "Definitely want to qualify" list.

I'm disappointed that Iceland qualified, as I dislike their style of song, and would have preferred it not to qualify. Nonetheless, I understand that there are plenty of thrash metal lovers around the world, and that Iceland would almost certainly qualify. Even I would have been shocked if Iceland hadn't qualified!

One surprise qualifier was San Marino. I thought that, although it's a fun, catchy, novelty song, it was a bit weak really and that Hungary or Belgium would have been more deserving of their place, but it's not the end of the world. It's nice to have a fun entry in the Grand Final, and let's face it, this will be only San Marino's second appearance in the final.

Thank goodness Georgia failed to qualify, because I thought their entry was quite depressing this year. Too many other countries songs were more deserving of a place in the final than Georgia.

So out of the six countries on my "Definitely want to qualify" list, only Poland failed to qualify; the other five of them qualified (Cyprus, Slovenia, Australia, Estonia, Greece). As for my "Wouldn't mind qualifying", Belarus and Serbia, whereas Hungary and Belgium failed to qualify. Two out of four through on that list, which is fair. Putting those two lists together, that means seven of my desired ten countries reached the final, which is quite good really. I can't expect to have all the countries I want in the final.

Anyway, no matter how I personally feel about which countries' songs went thorough and which ones didn't, all the artists who performed tonight deserve equal respect. Congratulations to the ten countries which qualified to the final, and commiserations to the seven which failed to reach the final. So that means sixteen finalists are now confirmed and seven countries have been eliminated. Another eighteen countries will battle it out for the ten remaining places on Thursday evening.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment