Tuesday 6 September 2011

RCCGB Summer Bash 2011

Date: Saturday 3 September 2011
Venue: Brean Leisure Park Fun City
Who Went: Me and other RCCGB members, including Andy Hine, Carol, Happy Helen, Lucy Cosnett, Martin, Matt Walker.

DISCLAIMER: The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of everyone who attended. It's a list of members who I spoke to / rode with. I sincerely apologise to anyone I've forgotten.

Getting To Brean Leisure Park
I awoke at 5:50am to catch the 7:25 bus from Bath Bus Station to Bristol. Having reached Bristol Bus Station, I caught the 8:30 bus to Weston-super-Mare, followed by the 9:40 bus to Brean Leisure Park. A couple of stops before Brean, I saw RCCGB member Martin, who had travelled all the way from Birmingham to attend the trip.

Welcome to Brean Leisure Park
At 10:19 Martin and I left the bus close to Brean Leisure Park entrance and headed straight for Legends Sports Bar beer garden, where other members were already waiting. Even Nev managed to attend, despite work commitments. As people arrived, he took payments and issued wristbands. I spoke to Nev and Matt Walker for a few minutes. Shortly afterwards, Happy Helen arrived.

Fun City
When Fun City opened at 11am, members headed to Astro Storm for a takeover.

Astro Storm
The latest addition to Fun City, the former Space Invader 2 from Pleasure Beach Resort Blackpool is a Zierer Four Man Bob. This was my first time of riding this as I missed it under its previous incarnation at Blackpool. The 3-seater train, which resembles a space ship, goes through the doors, turns right and ascends the lift hill. On the way up are lights which change between red and green. Personally I think they're superfluous really. Once at the top, there's a thrusting sound and the train winds its way along the course of the track. Along the way you pass tiny lights, which presumably resemble stars. There are also strong air currents to add to the fun, though I question their significance considering there is no air in Space! Finally there are more bizarre lighting effects in the home straight before the train stops at the exit platform. Helen and I enjoyed 3 goes on this. Altogether, a great new addition, fine if you like dark rides, but I'm not sure I would rave over it.

Thereafter members dispersed around the Park. Helen and I rode together the rest of the day.

Caterpillar Coaster
Helen and I rode the Caterpillar Coaster next. This D.P.V. Rides Minicoaster Apple has been operating at Brean since 2001. Naturally this was tame compared to Astro Storm, but it was still worth one go for me to add it to my coaster count. Unlike the other three coasters, one ride consists of two laps of the track. This was our only go on this all day.

Shockwave
Fun City's sit-down looping steel coaster. This Pinfari preZyklon TL59 originally operated as Crazy Loop at Flamingo Land (Malton) and Pleasure Island Cleethorpes. Since 2004, it has been operating at Brean as Shockwave. Helen and I rode this next. The advantage of this compared to Astro Storm is that you can see where you are going. Compared to some looping coasters I've ridden, I was a bit disappointed by this. At the end I wanted a second go, but Helen felt once was enough as she found it rather rough. Hence we both only rode this once for now.

Coffee At Wimpy
At this point Helen and I felt like a break from riding, so we went to Wimpy for a coffee. Helen had a Latte. I decided to have cappuccino as it was only 10p more than ordinary coffee. Now was our chance to relax and talk to each other.

Magic Mouse
Having finished our coffee, there was just one more coaster for us to ride: Magic Mouse. This Reverchon Spinning Coaster has been operating at Brean since 2007. Helen and I enjoyed two goes on this (car 5 followed by car 4). Having climbed the lift hill, the ride car raced along the length of the track, spinning on the hairpin bends which added to the fun.

Sea Maze
Next I spotted the Sea Maze. I suggested we go in there next, Helen said "Alright then, if you want". Basically it's a mirror maze, we must have all been through one of those somewhere before. Despite several dead ends, we managed to find our way from start to finish. This was our only passage through here all day.

Disco Fever
Ride cars at the ends of arms, which go up and down as the central unit spins about its base. For some reason, single riders aren't allowed on this. Never mind, Helen and I shared a ride car. I didn't time the ride duration, but it seemed quite long. Disco hits including can-can were played during the course of the ride, which ended with "That's all folks". A fun non-coaster ride, but once was enough for now. Indeed this was our only go on this all day.

Waltzer
Self explanatory, Helen and I rode this next. Naturally our ride car spun whilst the ride was in motion. When it started to spin, I sang "You spin me right round (like a record)". Again, the ride seemed quite long. One go at a time was enough, indeed this was our only go on this all day.

Lunch at Subway
Feeling peckish, Helen and I headed to Subway just up the road for our lunch. We took advantage of a 2 for £6.99 offer we saw in a park plan: i.e. a £2.99 Sub, cookie and fizzy drink each.

Back To Fun City
After lunch, we wandered back to Fun City, but were in no hurry to return to riding. Helen took my photo standing by Superman and Batman statues.

Bumpy Slide
A four lane Astra slide. This seemed a good one to start with after lunch, so Helen and I decided to have a go. One go consists of two slides. My first slide was in the far right lane (as seen from the top), whereas my second slide was in the far left lane (as viewed from the top). Helen took another empty lane on both occasions. The slide was very fast, Helen and I hit the crash mat at the end of the run-out both times. I was a bit disappointed with this compared to the Astrozoomer slides at Devon's Crealy, Barracuda at Woodlands, Astroglide at Paultons and Cresta Run at Leisureranch Weymouth. We never returned to this later.

Sky Diver
A drop tower, Helen and I rode this next. The ring of outward facing seats rose and fell several times. On the last go, the seat unit was held high up momentarily, before being gently lowered to the bottom. A fun ride, better than Trauma Tower at Woodlands, but tame compared to Drop at Funland Hayling Island or Ice Blast at PBR Blackpool. We only had one go on this.

Sizzler
Just about everyone in the RCCGB must have been on this sort of ride at least once somewhere, you may have seen it called Twister or perhaps Cyclone. Fun City call theirs the Sizzler for some inexplicable reason (it bears no resemblance to sausages or bacon sizzling in a frying pan). Helen and I enjoyed one go on this. Another fun ride, indeed still one of my favourite non-coaster rides, but I'm not sure I could take two goes straight off.

Sooty Photo
At 3pm Sooty appeared by his hut. Helen and I were waiting there for him, and we had our photo taken with him.

Wave Swinger
Being as this was running again, and we were so close to it, we rode this next. I take it you all know how a Wave Swinger works. The ride experience was no different to any other Wave Swinger, but still once was enough for us.

Frisbee
A witch's hat type ride, Helen and I decided to ride this next, mainly because it's right next to Wave Swinger. We sat in car 19. Another fun ride, but still one go on Frisbee was ample for us.

Coffee at Starbucks
Helen felt like another coffee, so we went to the Brean Splash Waterpark café as it sells Starbucks coffee. I had a Starbucks Tall Americano, whereas Helen had a cappuccino. When we finished our coffee, we headed for Wipeout.

Wipeout
A Freak-Out / Afterburner type ride, this swings and spins. Each set of four seats faces inwards. We were unable to find two adjacent vacant seats. However the two end seats on one set were empty, so I took that one end seat and Helen took the other end seat on that set. Hence for that ride we were separated by two other riders on the middle two seats of that row. The ride was great fun, but once again it seemed longer than average so towards the end it began to feel a bit too much. Helen and I limited ourselves to this one go, it's definitely not re-ridable.

Terror Castle
A ghost train. The train runs on a track, which has ups and downs, so can this be classed as a coaster? Helen and I limited ourselves to one go on this. Naturally enough there are some spooky / gory characters along the way. My verdict: alright but not overly impressed with it; I thought certain lighting effects were overkill.

I wanted to go on the Pony Express next. Unfortunately the rules stated adults may ride it with young children, but not ride without children.

Wild Water
I fancied a go on this log flume next, so Helen agreed. As we approached the loading platform, I put on my cagoule and leggings so as not to get wet. Helen said I was well prepared. We both got into one log and set off. The layout of this is somewhat similar to the one at Cornwall's Crealy; the log went up the first lift hill, and down creating a splash. After that it went up the second (taller) lift hill, and down creating an even bigger splash. Great fun but one go was enough.

Hellraiser
A set of ride cars attached to a central structure. As the central structure spins clockwise at high speed, the ride cars go up and down over the perimeter undulations, and are flung slightly outwards due to centrifugal force. Helen and I enjoyed one go on this. Although another fun ride, once was enough, it's not re-ridable.

Having left Hellraiser we met Lucy Cosnett and Carol. We spoke to each other for a few minutes.

X-treme
Similar to Hydro Max at Pleasure Island Cleethorpes. This has two pairs of seats back to back at one end of the boom, with another identical set at the other end. Helen and I sat together at one end, and the ride set off. As the ride picked up speed, it felt like riding a big wheel, but much better. The motion gave the sensation of flying through the air, up, backwards over the top and down again. When the ride ended we were stuck at the top, whilst the attendant changed riders at the other end. After that, the boom turned half a revolution so we could leave and more riders could get on where we sat. We only had one go on this.

Magic Mouse
We wanted to ride Astro Storm next, but it was closed, so we headed for Magic Mouse instead. This time we sat in car 1. The time was 4:55 when we left this ride.

Shockwave
Thinking there would be time for just one more ride, I led Helen over to Shockwave. When we joined the queue at 4:57pm, the attendant asked for any orange band users to come forwards. Presumably he wanted to get those with orange (daytime) bands through before 5pm. Helen and I managed to get one go on this. My verdict after this go and our one go earlier: alright as a looping coaster, but not as good as some looping coasters I've been on, indeed I thought it was a bit rough.

Cumulative summary of rides all day:

Ride
Total
Astro Storm
3
Bumpy Slide
2
Caterpillar Coaster
1
Disco Fever
1
Frisbee
1
Hellraiser
1
Magic Mouse
3
Shockwave
2
Sizzler
1
Sky Diver
1
Terror Castle
1
Waltzer
1
Wave Swinger
1
Wild Water
1
Wipeout
1
X-treme
1
TOTAL
22

Plus one passage through Sea Maze

Saturday Evening

Lift To Weston-super-Mare
Daytime wristbands expired at 5pm. Probably just as well, by now Helen and I both felt a little queasy. Having left the Park, Helen and I returned to her Mum's car. Helen's Mum kindly gave me a lift to Weston-super-Mare, which meant I had more time to talk to Helen and her Mum. We finally said our last goodbyes when we reached Weston-super-Mare seafront around 5:45pm.

Seafront and Takeaway
Having reached Weston, I saw Carter's Funfair, but didn't bother going in there as I felt I'd had enough rides for one day. Instead I just walked along the sea front towards Grand Pier, and around part of the town centre. By around 6:15pm I finally felt like eating. I had cod and chips, plus a pot of mushy peas from a fish and chip shop on the corner of Royal Parade and Regent Street; and ate them on the sea front.

Grand Pier
One I finished my takeaway I went for a walk around Grand Pier. This was my first visit to Grand Pier since it was rebuilt and reopened. Having walked to the end I entered the new building. I saw the bottom of the helter skelter, and half fancied a go on it, subject to adults being allowed on it. In the end I never got round to asking.

Unlike the old building, the new building is multi-storey. The new building has up and down escalators, made by SJEC. I ascended the up escalator to the first floor and saw the race track which goes up to the next level and down again. However I didn't have a go at racing. Near the top of the up escalator, I met Lucy Cosnett and Carol again, and spoke to them for several minutes. After that I took a walk around the first floor. I saw the entrance to Robo Coaster, but couldn't see the ride itself. However I saw the ride nearby which swings and spins. Having descended the down escalator to the ground floor, I saw the mini drop tower. I didn't go on any rides as I'd had enough of riding for one day.

I was hoping to have a whippy ice cream on the pier, but the ice cream shop I saw there was closed. However after leaving Grand Pier I managed to get a whippy ice cream from a convenience store in Regent Street before returning to the bus stops in High Street.

Journey Home
From Weston-super-Mare High Street, I caught the 19:35 Bristol bus. Unfortunately that bus had a problem with it and about ten minutes later, everyone had to transfer to another bus waiting behind it. The replacement bus finally left High Street at 19:49. Having reached Bristol Bus Station, I transferred to the 21:00 Bath bus, and arrived Bath Bus Station at 21:42. Less than 10 minutes later I was home.

Outro

Highlights
Meeting members I'd met on previous Club trips again (including Andy Hine, Happy Helen, Lucy Cosnett, Matt Walker).
Riding with Happy Helen all day.
Adding four more coasters to my ride count.
Meeting Sooty at 3pm.

Lowlights
Problem with 19:35 Weston-super-Mare to Bristol bus causing delayed departure on replacement bus.

Summing Up
Altogether another great trip. It was a minimalist trip, with no trip badges or ERS, but still great fun. Turnout was exceptionally low too; Nev said there were only 29 people listed as intending to go, but still the tiny minority of RCCGB members who did go certainly had a great day. It was great meeting other members again, including Nev, Matt Walker, Lucy Cosnett, and Carol, plus riding with Happy Helen all day. Best of all was adding four more coasters (Astro Storm, Caterpillar Coaster, Shockwave and Magic Mouse) to my coaster count. Just one point about them, they're all steel. Come on Brean, get some wood!

See you at Drayton Manor on 9 October.

No comments:

Post a Comment