Wednesday 9 March 2016

RCCGB Loopathon 2015 (Day 2)

Date: Sunday 4 October 2015
Venue: Drayton Manor Park
Who Went: Me and a large number of other RCCGB members, including Andy and Christine Hine, Adey and Katelyn, Barry, Chris Fletcher, Dave Maryan, Dave Perry, Death, Doug and Charlie Turner, Gareth Preece, Happy Helen, Ian Gulliver, Ryan Hackett, Robert Nutter, Smiler, Sophia Jones, Stevie B.

DISCLAIMER: The above is NOT intended to be an exhaustive list of everyone who attended. It's a small sample of attendees; mainly those I spoke to and/or rode with at Drayton Manor Park. I sincerely apologise to anyone I've not listed.

Rationale for Trip
The RCCGB's annual two-day autumn event to mark the end of the coaster season: Alton Towers on the Saturday and Drayton Manor Park on the Sunday. This was my third time of attending Loopathon day 2 (Drayton Manor Park), and my fifth Loopathon attendance overall since joining the RCCGB in March 2005.

Sunday First Thing
I awoke at 6:45, in order that I could get ready and have breakfast just after 8:00. For breakfast I had a bowl of cornflakes, a glass of orange juice, a cup of coffee, and a full English breakfast. Just after 8:30 Sophia arrived to give me a lift to Drayton Manor Park. On the way there we went to the hotel where Sophia and Happy Helen had stayed the previous night in order to collect Helen. It was sunny at the time.

Welcome to Drayton Manor Park
Having reached Drayton Manor Park Sophia seemed a bit uncertain as to where we were supposed to park. Eventually we went into the car park in front of the Tower Suite and I spotted another member's Loopathon poster on display, so we concluded that was the correct place for Loopathon attendees to park. Sophia, Helen and I entered the Tower Suite where everyone was waiting. Coffee was available, so I had a cup of coffee. During this time I met and spoke to several other members. Around 9:30 the Club entered the Park.

Apocalypse ERS
The day began with an ERS on the tall drop tower Apocalypse. Normally there are three ride options: sit down, stand up with floor, stand up no floor. In all cases, a large clasp comes down, locks on to the top of the rider unit and pulls the rider unit to the top of the tower. After a short delay the rider unit is released for a freefall drop.

Stand Up With Floor
At the start of the ERS the only ride option available was stand up with floor, so that's where I began. A narrow saddle (similar to a bicycle saddle) fits between one's legs whilst standing, and a harness holds the rider in place. The ride unit tilted forwards a little at the start of its ascent, which made the ride experience somewhat scary. Rising to the top of the tower seemed to take forever. On a clear day one can see for miles whilst momentarily at the top. Having reached the top, the drop was somewhat frightening in the standing position.

Sit Down
The sit-down option was now available, so this time I decided to ride Apocalypse sitting down. Once seated, the harness was pulled down and the ride unit was raised to the top. The ascent was less scary than in the standing position. The freefall drop was quite scary, but I remained quiet during the ride.

Having left Apocalypse after my sit-down go, the entrance doors were closed, thereby signalling that the Apocalypse ERS was over. Another RCCGB member said the Apocalypse ERS was only intended to last half an hour.

Summary of my rides on Apocalypse this ERS: Stand up with floor 1, Sit down 1. Did anyone beat me on that?

Morning Freetime

Group Photo
When the Apocalypse ERS ended, members gathered by Shockwave for a group photo to mark Shockwave's 21st anniversary year.

Shockwave
As soon as the group photo had been taken, several members including me took over Shockwave. This Intamin Stand-Up Coaster has been operating since 1994. This is one of only two stand-up coasters in Europe. The train set off up the lift hill, around a vertical loop, another inversion and a double corkscrew before returning to the station. Altogether a mega fun ride, and my first roller coaster ride of the day. For now I limited myself to just one go, but knew I'd be back for more goes later.

Thereafter members dispersed around Drayton Manor Park taking over the rides.

Maelstrom
This is an Intamin large gyro swing, which swings and spins. The seats face outwards. Several other RCCGB members got on this ride at the same time as me. As expected, the ride set off swinging and spinning for a few minutes, until it slowed down and stopped. Altogether a fun and enjoyable ride, but once was enough for me. No way could I take two goes straight off! This ended up being my only go on Maelstrom all day as I didn't return to it later.

Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster
One of the rides in Thomas Land, this Gerstlauer Junior-Coaster has been operating since March 2008. Although only a family coaster, and a rather tame ride, I just as keen to ride it as the other coasters around the Park, as my goal was to ride all five coasters at least once each. One ride consists of two laps. Altogether Troublesome Trucks is a small but fun coaster. For now I only had one go as I wanted to go on other rides.

Toby's Tram Express
Another Thomas Land ride. As the name suggests, this Zamperla ride features a tram carriage mounted on a pivot. Once loaded with riders, the pivot simultaneously lifts the tram above the platform and sets it spinning. When the tram is clear of the platform it tilts. Hence the tram spins on an angle, creating a strange ride sensation to say the least. Eventually the tram levels and is lowered to platform level before stopping. This was my first ever time of riding this; another fun ride to add to my ride count, but my one go now was my only go on this all day.

Harold's Helicopter Tours
Another Thomas Land ride, this features mini helicopters around a pole. I had a helicopter to myself. Once the ride started the helicopters rose to the top of the pole and travelled around the pole, thereby giving riders a view of Thomas Land. Eventually the helicopters returned to ground level and the ride stopped. Another fun ride to add to my ride count, but my one go now was my only go on this all day.

Cranky's Drop Tower
Another Thomas Land ride, this is a mini drop tower. The seats are arranged on a circular seating unit surrounding the tower. I sat in seat 12. Once everyone was harnessed in, the seat unit rose and fell several times, but I didn't bother counting how many rises and falls there were. Naturally this felt tame compared to Apocalypse earlier in the morning, but it was nonetheless a fun ride. I only had one go on this.

The Bounty Pirate Ship
As I walked around the park I met Happy Helen and Sophia again, so we decided to ride The Bounty Pirate Ship together. This swinging pirate ship is self-explanatory. We sat in the second row in from one end. A mega fun ride, but once was enough for me; I'm not sure my body could have stuck two goes straight off.

Air Race
This Zamperla ride began operating at Drayton Manor in 2014. It has horizontal spokes radiating from a central cone. At the end of each spoke is an arm with an aeroplane at its end, and a pivot point connecting the arm's midpoint to the spoke end. The lower central cone, with its radiating spokes, spins clockwise. After a while the arms with the planes at their ends start rotating around the arm's midpoint. Hence riders in the planes go sideways and upside-down as well as upright whilst travelling clockwise relative to the ground. Now seemed the best time for me to ride this because a) about four hours had now passed since my cooked breakfast, and b) it was just before lunch. The ride sensation when I was going sideways and upside-down was unusual to say the least! Presumably that motion is intended to simulate an aeroplane somersaulting in flight. On the whole, this is a fun ride, but I'm glad the ride duration wasn't any longer. One go on this was enough for me for now; I didn't return to it later in the day.

Lunch
At 12:30 members exited the Park and went to the Tower Suite for lunch, however the time was around 12:50 when I got there. Once there I looked for somewhere to sit. Most of the seats were already taken, but luckily I managed to find a vacant seat. Just like in 2013 and 2014, souvenir mugs bearing the Drayton Manor Park logo, RCCGB logo and date of the visit were on each table for members to members to take home, one per member. I thought souvenir mugs were originally intended to be a one-off gift to commemorate the RCCGB's 25th anniversary in 2013, not something to be repeated in subsequent years.

I joined the back of the queue, which by now was fairly short (several members had already got their food). A wide assortment of food was available, and I filled my plate with pork, boiled potatoes, pasta, chips and salad. Having done that, I returned to my seat and enjoyed my main course. Of course a meal is not complete without a dessert, therefore profiteroles were available. I had three profiteroles, with chocolate sauce and a few fruit slices. As if that wasn't enough, everyone was given a glass of champagne (or orange juice if preferred).

Mr. William Bryan, from Drayton Manor Park, gave a speech about the Park, particularly focusing on the future of Buffalo Coaster and the limits on where new rides can be sited within the Park. Everyone was asked to raise their glasses as a toast. Finally since this was the day of Christine Hine's 50th birthday, a cake bearing a picture of a roller coaster was unveiled. The cake was cut into pieces and many members including me had a piece. Nev also mentioned other members whose birthday was close to Loopathon (before or after) including me.

Afternoon Freetime
At 14:26 I re-entered the Park and resumed riding.

Big Wheel
This needs no explanation. I didn't count the number of pods, but anyway all the pods were filled in ascending numerical order. Hence after I got on, the wheel went through start-stop movements whilst the remaining pods were filled. After the last pod was filled, the wheel did complete revolutions (I didn't count how many), until eventually it returned to start-stop motion whilst riders were released one pod at a time. On the whole, a gentle ride, just the thing to start with after lunch, but not a particularly exciting ride. I limited myself to just one go on Big Wheel.

Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission
Next I approached Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission. This Vekoma Family Boomerang 185m began operating at Drayton Manor Park in April 2011. This is still the only such model in the UK. I walked through the heavily themed arcade. Shortly after the entrance, you loop around an area with touch screens. Presumably those are to amuse riders when the queue tails back that far. Further on you go through a section with multi-coloured flashing lights. Are they really necessary? Eventually I found the back of the queue, which was thankfully quite short. The coaster itself is entirely outside. The train was pulled backwards to the top of a hill, released and went around its course until it reached the top of another hill the other end. After that it had to travel backwards the way it had come. On the return journey it overshot the station to go up the hill, and had to travel forwards again to terminate at the station. I sat in the back row. A fun ride, but tame compared to the much larger Boomerang at Pleasure Island Cleethorpes which I rode in summer 2010. For now I limited myself to just one go as I wanted to go on other rides.

Polperro Express Train
A train ride around part of the Park. As I was walking around the Park, I happened to be just outside Polperro Express station just as the train was about to depart, so I decided to get on. Soon after I boarded the train, it began its journey. This could be seen as a rest ride, a way to explore part of the park from a route you can't take on foot. This was my only go on Polperro Express Train all day.

Stormforce 10
A variation on a log flume, the boats seat several riders. I wanted to ride this next and joined the back of the queue, which seemed a bit long for my liking. After a few minutes the queue didn't seem to be moving very fast. Suddenly I saw several others leaving the queue, so I gave up at that point and also left the queue. I never returned to this later.

Shockwave
At this point I fancied a few more goes on the stand-up coaster Shockwave. I ended up having two goes. The waiting time was minimal on both goes. Between these two goes I spoke to a group of other RCCGB members for a few minutes.

Splash Canyon
Next I decided to ride Splash Canyon. Whilst queuing I donned my all-in-one splashsuit to prevent me getting wet on the ride. As I neared the front of the queue, two riders were ahead of me, and we agreed to ride together. From a rotating platform we got into a small boat. The boat made its way around the circuit, with undulations along the way, until it was time to disembark back at the station. Altogether another fun ride, but I limited myself to just one go. Having disembarked I stopped near Splash Canyon to have my picture taken before removing my splashsuit.

Buffalo Coaster
This Zamperla Buffalo Coaster is a powered coaster. It has been operating since 1987, which makes it the oldest coaster currently operating at Drayton Manor Park. One go consists of two laps. The circuit is quite long, however it doesn't rise and fall much, and there are no inversions. When I approached this late afternoon I had to wait a few runs to get on it. Although tame, this was worth riding to add to my total ride count for the day. I only had time for one go on this, which ended up being my final ride during normal opening time.

By the time I had left Buffalo Coaster, all the rides elsewhere were closed, so I waited near G-Force for the start of the evening ERS.

Evening ERS
Now that the Park had officially closed, it was time for our evening ERS. The RCCGB had exclusive use of three coasters for an hour: G-Force, Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster, Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission. This time I was determined to ride all three during the ERS.

Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster
I decided to ride Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster first. When I got there I sat in the back row and enjoyed the ride, which consisted of two laps. At the end of the ride I had a second go. Since there was hardly anyone else approaching the ride I was allowed to stay in the back row. Once my second go was over I left the ride to go on one of the other two coasters.

Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission
Next I went on Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission, and had two goes as follows. The ride experience was just the same as when I first rode it earlier in the afternoon.
First go: Next to Charlie
Second go: Me alone in the second row (Smiler was in the front row)

G-Force
This Maurer Söhne X-Car Vertical coaster has been operating since July 2005, and is still one of only two coasters of this model operating worldwide. You have to go up a few flights of stairs to get to the platform. The train sets off downhill whilst going around a bend. Having reached the bottom of the initial descent the train climbs the lift hill, which unusually continues part way up and around the first vertical loop. After that first loop you go uphill again, and down, around another vertical loop, up and over (upside-down), barrel roll to become upright again, downhill, up around a u-bend to the left and down again (staying upright through that bend), up again and back to the station.

I spent the rest of the ERS on G-Force, and was surprised how quiet this ride was for an ERS. In fact, on some of the goes I had, there were so few RCCGB members on the train that some staff also had to ride in order to have enough people on board for the train to complete is journey successfully. Altogether I clocked up six goes as follows:

First go: Next to Adey
Second go: Alone, second row from back
Third go: Back row
Fourth go: Front row
Fifth go: Front row next to Maxine
Sixth go: Second row from back with Robert Nutter

For my last few goes on G-Force I put on my fluorescent yellow Skatedrive cagoule, and my pink "Coaster Crazy Kid on Tour!" hi-vis waistcoat on top. Those last few goes seemed a good time to wear what I was going to wear for the unavoidably cancelled dark ERS on Megafobia at Oakwood in August 2015.

Summary of my rides this ERS: Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster 2, Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission 2, G-Force 6. Did anyone beat me on that?

Final Send-Off
When the ERS ended members met again near the Carousel for the final send-off. As I approached this spot Nev noticed me wearing my pink "Coaster Crazy Kid on Tour!" hi-vis waistcoat over my fluorescent yellow Skatedrive cagoule, and drew other members' attention to it. I admitted to Nev I wore those for my last few goes on G-Force largely due to the Megafobia dark ERS being cancelled in August.

Once everyone was present members formed a circle for Hokey Cokey. We did three verses: 1) left arm in / out, 2) right arm in / out, and 3) whole self in / out. Is there any reason why the Club doesn't do the whole song (left arm, right arm, left leg, right leg, whole self). At the end first timers were called into the centre to form a small circle facing outwards for the group hug. This officially marked the end of the 2015 coaster season, at least as far as RCCGB trips are concerned.

Finally everyone headed out of Drayton Manor Park. I spoke to a few other members one final time, including Doug and Charlie. Back at the car park members said their last goodbyes before heading home.

Summary of my day in order of activity

Welcome at Tower Suite

Morning ERS: Apocalypse 2 (Stand up with floor 1, Sit down 1)

Group photo by Shockwave

Shockwave 1 (RCCGB takeover)
Maelstrom 1
Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster 1
Toby's Tram Express 1
Harold's Helicopter Tours 1
Cranky's Drop Tower 1
The Bounty Pirate Ship 1
Air Race 1

Lunch at Tower Suite

Big Wheel 1
Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission 1
Polperro Express Train 1
Shockwave 2
Splash Canyon 1
Buffalo Coaster 1

Evening ERS
Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster 2
Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission 2
G-Force 6

Hokey cokey and group hug

Cumulative Summary of My Rides (ERSs and Freetime Combined)

Ride
Total
Air Race
1
Apocalypse
2
Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission
3
Big Wheel
1
Buffalo Coaster
1
Cranky's Drop Tower
1
G-Force
6
Harold's Helicopter Tours
1
Maelstrom
1
Polperro Express Train
1
Shockwave
3
Splash Canyon
1
The Bounty Pirate Ship
1
Toby's Tram Express
1
Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster
3
TOTAL
27

Journey Home
Around 18:30 Sophia, Happy Helen and I began our journey home. Along the way we stopped at Strensham Services on the M5 to have something to eat from McDonald's. I had a large Big Mac Meal, which included large fries and a large drink (I chose Sprite). For dessert I had a strawberry sundae.

Outro

Highlights
Meeting members I'd met on previous Club trips again.
Morning ERS on Apocalypse.
Adding Toby's Tram Express, Harold's Helicopter Tours and Big Wheel to my ride count.
Re-riding the five coasters (Shockwave, Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster, Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission, Buffalo Coaster, G-Force) which I first rode during Loopathon 2011.
High overall ride count (ERSs and normal time combined).
Delicious and filling two-course lunch at Towers Suite.
Evening ERS on Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster, Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission and G-Force.
Hokey Cokey and group hug at the end.

Lowlights
Apocalypse stand up no floor option unavailable (but at least I did the other two ride options during the morning ERS)

Unexpected Surprises
Free mugs for everyone lunchtime for the third year running.
Glass of champagne (or orange juice) lunchtime.
G-Force being so quiet during the evening ERS.

Summing Up
Another excellent trip, and a great turnout too. The weather was good, dry and sunny all day, and surprisingly warm for early October during the afternoon. It was great meeting other members including Andy and Christine Hine, Adey and Katelyn, Doug and Charlie, Happy Helen, Sophia Jones and other members again. Also it was great to re-ride the five roller coasters (Shockwave, Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster, Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission, Buffalo Coaster, G-Force) which I previously rode during Loopathon 2011 and Loopathon 2014. Just one point, they're all steel. Come on Drayton Manor, get some wood! Many members liked my 44th birthday T-shirt; I wore that as Loopathon day 2 happened just 4 days after my birthday (30 September 2015).

Many thanks to Andy Hine for organising this trip, the ride staff for operating Apocalypse before opening and three coasters after closing, the catering staff for the delicious and filling lunch, and William Bryan for his after-lunch speech. Thanks also to Sophia for kindly giving me lifts from The Peel Aldergate, Tamworth to Drayton Manor Park in the morning, and all the way home to Bath in the evening.

Roll on the 2016 Blackpool Bash, I hope to be there.

Reflections
Having first joined the RCCGB in March 2005, here is my track record for Loopathon attendance in eleven years of membership 2005 to 2015 inclusive:

2005 & 2006: Alton Towers only
2007 to 2010: Did not attend Loopathon at all
2011: Drayton Manor only
2012 & 2013: Did not attend Loopathon at all
2014 & 2015: Drayton Manor only

So this can be summed up as:
2 x Alton Towers only (2005, 2006)
3 x Drayton Manor only (2011, 2014, 2015)
6 x Missed Loopathon altogether (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013)

After all this time, I've still never attended a complete Loopathon in a single year. I really must try and make the effort to do so next year in what will be my 12th year of RCCGB membership.

No comments:

Post a Comment