Friday 18 October 2013

Nemesis Nick's Birthday Outing 2013 Midi Report

Date: Monday 30 September 2013
Venue: Thorpe Park
Who Went: Just me

N.B. Any use of "today" in this report means Monday 30 September 2013.

Rationale For Trip
Monday 30 September 2013 was my 42nd birthday. Whereas last year my birthday outing to Devon's Crealy was part of a four day trip to south Devon, this year I favoured a standalone day trip on my birthday. My original desire was to spend the day at Butlins Minehead to enjoy its funfair and Splash Waterworld, and have a celebratory evening meal in Taunton on the way back to Bath. However in July I discovered Butlins Minehead would open to Day Visitors at 13:00 on Monday 30 September 2013, so by early September I decided to visit Thorpe Park on my birthday instead. I booked a park entry ticket in advance, as well as the required combination of train tickets Bath Spa to Staines and back. For the third year running I had a special birthday T-shirt of my own design printed, this time at Bath Impact Print Works about a week before my birthday.

Getting To Thorpe Park
Just like some RCCGB trips I attended the last few years, it was necessary for me to wake up at 4:20am, which for me is exceptionally early. From Bath Spa I caught the 06:13 train to Reading, followed by the connecting 07:42 train to Staines. Having reached Staines at 8:31, there was time for me to enjoy a medium Americano at Café Gusto in the town centre. Finally I caught the 9:08 Thorpe Shuttle bus from Staines Bus Station to Thorpe Park.

Welcome To Thorpe Park
As soon as I reached Thorpe Park at 9:18 I waited near the Advance Ticket Collection point until it opened. When it opened I collected my pre-booked ticket and waited in one of the entry queues. Just after 10:00 the front shutters rose and visitors funnelled through the ticket check point.

Morning Riding
Once admitted I headed straight for the roller coaster Colossus. I enjoyed one go in the front row followed by one go in the back row. Its vertical loop, horizontal corkscrew and other features made this the perfect ride to start my birthday visit, and the waiting time was minimal for both goes. Nearby I was particularly keen to ride the giant swing Rush as I didn't get the chance to ride it on my last two visits to Thorpe Park in September 2011 and March 2012. Its waiting time was also short and I sat in seat 3 to enjoy a highly thrilling ride. Next I enjoyed one go on the magic carpet ride Quantum. Another pleasurable ride, but tame compared to Rush

After a short break I headed for SAW - The Ride. Its queuing time was about 10 minutes. When it was my turn I sat in the back row. This roller coaster which includes a vertical drop and loop was great fun, though I noticed a couple rough moments. However I question the need for the lighting effects and air currents in the building as you wouldn't get those in a real factory sawmill. After just one go on SAW - The Ride, I queued for about 15 minutes to ride Samurai. A fun ride spin 'n' spew ride, but once was enough for me.

The final ride I went on before lunch was Swarm. When this coaster opened in March 2012, all its seats faced forwards, but at the start of the 2013 season, the back two rows were reversed to face backwards to the direction of travel. I had one go in the backwards facing back row, followed by one go in the forwards facing front row. Thus on both goes I had unobstructed views of the track. Another mega fun ride, albeit over a bit too soon for my liking.

Lunch at Roast & Relish
Feeling really hungry, my next stop was Roast & Relish for a filled baguette. Two types of meat were available: gammon and turkey. Initially I fancied turkey, but then considered gammon. The person serving me said I could have half and half if I wanted; that's what I chose in the end. I also had a white coffee to go with my baguette.

Afternoon Riding
Immediately after lunch I took a walk around the Park. When I felt ready to resume riding I began with two goes on Storm In A Teacup. Next I enjoyed one go on Stealth, seated in the back row. A mega fun ride, but it was over way too quickly for my liking. The waiting time for Nemesis Inferno inverted coaster was just a few minutes, when it was my turn I sat in row 5. I enjoyed this ride very much, including its loop and other features, but for now limited myself to one go.

At this point I donned my all-in-one splashsuit before going on some water rides. I began with two goes on Tidal Wave (the second of which I sat alone in the front row). Someone said I had just the right outfit for the mighty splash created by the impact of the boat at the bottom of the down ramp. Next I enjoyed two goes on the log flume Logger's Leap. Finally I had one go on the river rafting ride Rumba Rapids, which seemed a gentle ride compared to the other two water rides I'd just been on. Having left Rumba Rapids I removed my splashsuit.

Next I enjoyed two goes on the drop tower Detonator, on both goes the rise to the top and free-fall drop were mega fun. The indoor coaster formerly called X:\No Way Out until the end of the 2012 season is now just called X, its trains now face forwards and new lighting effects have been added. I had two goes (front row followed by back row), but my opinion of this modified ride is about the same as in its old guise: worth riding to say I'd been on it, but not particularly exciting. Nearby, the family coaster Flying Fish was worth riding for completeness. I had two goes: second-from-back row followed by fourth row. The attendants sang Happy Birthday to me after my second go. After that I enjoyed three more goes on Stealth, in various rows. There was just enough time left for two more goes on Nemesis Inferno: second row followed by the back row of the last train of the day. Where better to end my birthday outing to Thorpe Park than on the back seat of Nemesis Inferno? It was now time to leave the Park; on my way out I had a few more photos taken of me.

Cumulative summary of rides all day

Ride
Total
Colossus
2
Detonator
2
Flying Fish
2
Logger's Leap
2
Nemesis Inferno
3
Quantum
1
Rumba Rapids
1
Rush
1
Samurai
1
SAW - The Ride
1
Stealth
4
Storm In A Teacup
2
Swarm
2
Tidal Wave
2
X
2
TOTAL
28

Returning To Staines
Having finally left Thorpe Park around 17:20 I walked across to the bus stop and joined the bus queue. Although I was unable to get on the Staines bus which departed at 17:27, I managed to get on the next one which turned up at 17:34. At 17:50 I left the bus at Staines Bus Station.

Birthday Dinner
The birthday fun wasn't over yet. Without further ado I looked for somewhere to go for my celebratory dinner. My original plan was to go to Pizza Hut, but on the way I saw Harvester and looked at their menu from outside before reading nearby Pizza Hut's menu from outside. Having also looked at another restaurant's menu from outside, I decided to have my birthday meal at Harvester.

Once seated I placed my birthday cards on the table and took time deciding what I wanted to eat and drink. Eventually I ordered Early Bird BBQ Chicken & Bacon Stack (which included chips, peas and a fill-it-myself salad bowl) for my main course, and half a pint of Carling Keg to drink. After I finished my main course I felt like a dessert; I chose profiteroles which were served on Cornish whippy ice cream, and drizzled with white and Belgian chocolate sauce. Having finished my profiteroles and Carling Keg, there was still time to enjoy a cup of cappuccino before I needed to leave.

Journey Home
I left Harvester at 20:22 and began walking to Staines railway station. Once there I caught the 20:53 train to Reading, whereupon time allowed for me to get a takeaway coffee from Subway in the station concourse before catching the 22:11 train to Bath Spa. I finally reached Bath Spa at 23:33 and home about ten minutes later.

Outro

Highlights
High ride count.
Satisfaction of riding all seven coasters in a single trip again.
Riding Swarm both backwards and forwards.
Riding Rush for the first time since March 2009, having missed it on my September 2011 and March 2012 visits.
Celebratory birthday dinner at Harvester in Staines town centre in the evening.

Lowlights
Not having time to ride Vortex, Zodiac or Storm Surge.

Summing Up
Altogether a mega fun day out at The Nation's Thrill Capital to mark my 42nd birthday. Although the sky was mainly cloudy, with some sunny spells, it was dry all day. Ride queues were surprisingly short, at worst fifteen minutes and generally five minutes, hence my high ride count. It was really satisfying to re-ride all seven coasters (Colossus, SAW - The Ride, Swarm, Stealth, Nemesis Inferno, X, Flying Fish) which I first rode on previous trips, even though Flying Fish was somewhat tame compared to the large coasters. In the case of Swarm, I enjoyed riding it backwards for the first time ever, as well as forwards. Just one point about the seven coasters, they're all steel. Come on Thorpe Park, get some wood! It was also great to re-ride the non-coaster rides I first rode on previous trips, particularly Rush for the first time since I attended the RCCGB Saw-Ted trip in March 2009. The celebratory evening dinner at Harvester in Staines town centre was the grand finale to this special day.

Many people liked my self-designed birthday T-shirt. Some were puzzled when they first saw the front, until I showed the back. Wearing that throughout the day added to the fun of celebrating my birthday.

A more detailed report is available here.

Photos of my birthday outing are available here

No comments:

Post a Comment