Tuesday 10 September 2013

RCCGB Mega-GLOW-Mania Weekend 2013

Date: Friday 9 August to Sunday 11 August 2013
Venues: Folly Farm, Oakwood Theme Park, Heatherton World of Activities
Who Went: Me and a large number of other RCCGB members, including Andy and Christine Hine, Alan Chilvers, Big Stevie B, Carol and Jamie Hodgson, Chris Fletcher, Daniel Morris, Dave Perry, Debra, David Hodgson, Doug and Charlie, Emerald Evans, Gareth Preece, Graham (Coaster Freak), Happy Helen, Ida Bagus, Mark Lewis, Matt Walker, Maz, Mophead, Paul Heaney (Herman), Planenut, Ryan Hackett, Simon, Smiler, Sophia.

DISCLAIMER: The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of everyone who attended. It's a small sample of attendees; mainly those I spoke to and/or rode with at Folly Farm and/or Oakwood. I sincerely apologise to anyone I've not listed. Not everyone (whether or not listed above) attended all three Parks.

Introduction
The Club's annual visit to rural Pembrokeshire, primarily to visit Oakwood Theme Park. Due to a change in late night opening this year, the Oakwood visit was on the Saturday when the Park was open to the public until 22:00, thereby enabling us to end the day with the traditional dark ERS on Megafobia. Add-ons to Oakwood were Folly Farm near Kilgetty on Friday (including exclusive use of the Vintage Funfair after closing time), and Heatherton World of Activities on Sunday. Just like last year, I attended Folly Farm and Oakwood, but for various reasons gave Heatherton a miss.

To make the rest of report this easier to read, I've split it into sections. Click the applicable link below to jump to the section you want to read:

Thursday 8 August
Day 1 - Friday 9 August
Day 2 - Saturday 10 August
Day 3 - Sunday 11 August
Outro

Enjoy my report at your leisure.

Thursday 8 August

Getting To Tenby
For me the weekend began with a train journey from Bath Spa to Tenby, which unfortunately had a few problems. Firstly, the 12:36 Bath Spa to Newport train actually left Bath at 12:41. Upon reaching Newport, the connecting 13:31 Newport to Swansea train was also slightly delayed; it left Newport at 13:35. It didn't matter though as when I reached Swansea at 14:48, I had over an hour to wait for the 16:00 Swansea to Tenby train, which departed on time. Having finally reached Tenby at 17:38, I went straight to the Myrtle House Hotel where I stayed three nights.

Thursday Evening
At 19:10 I went to The Three Mariners pub for a meal. I had BBQ Chicken Melt served with mashed potato, peas, onion rings, mushrooms and barbecue sauce for main course followed by chocolate sponge with chocolate sauce and cream for dessert. In addition I had half a pint of Fosters. Altogether, a delicious meal. When I left after my meal, I relaxed in my hotel room the rest of the evening.

Back to the top

Day 1 - Friday 9 August

Friday First Thing
Having awoke at 7:00am I had breakfast at 8:00am: a bowl of cornflakes, orange juice, a full traditional breakfast, four triangles of toast and a cafetiere of coffee. Since I wasn't going to be riding during the morning I was willing to have a traditional fried breakfast Friday.

Daytime
I left the hotel at 9:25 and caught the 9:40 Haverfordwest bus which stopped outside Folly Farm around 10:15. Folly Farm was already open and the public were being admitted. The RCCGB was officially due to enter as a group at 11:00, but by showing my trip letter, badge and RCCGB membership card I was allowed in straightaway. The receptionist said I was the first RCCGB member booked on this trip to be admitted to Folly Farm.

I began with a good look around Folly Interactive, including the Folly Interactive Explorer section. My first sighting of other RCCGB members was around 11:50 when I met Big Stevie B and Smiler in The Jolly Barn. Shortly afterwards I met and spoke to David Hodgson followed by Emerald Evans.

Around 12:30 I enjoyed playing on all parts of Carousel Woods indoor play structure for about an hour, including the 4-lane Bumper Slide, tube slides and multi-level towers. Initially Emerald Evans and I were together, but we quickly lost sight of each other. Big Stevie B and Smiler were also on Carousel Woods at one point, they saw me emerge from a tube slide.

Around 13:40 I had a light snack at Carousel Café. Afterwards I spent a substantial amount of time exploring Penguin Coast, a new addition to the zoo for 2013. Other parts of the zoo I saw included the giraffes, reindeer, ocelot, red river hog and African Spurred Tortoise. I also tried some Zoolympics challenges.

Late afternoon I had one go on the Pembrokeshire Wheel, followed by a cappuccino at Coffee Shop. Afterwards I took a rapid walk around The Jolly Barn, where I saw farm animals including goat kids, Kune Kune pigs, donkeys and ponies. Finally I rounded off normal opening time by playing on all parts of Carousel Woods for about half an hour.

Exclusive Fair Session
The Park officially closed at 17:30. For us the best was yet to follow: our Exclusive Fair Session in the Vintage Funfair. Together we rode the 1950s Caterpillar Ride, Rock n' Roll Waltzer, Jets, Ghost Train and 1938 Dodgem Track once each (a few but not me were lucky enough to have two goes on Dodgem Track).

After a basket meal in the café we had a few more rides: 1936 Lakin Swirl, Chair-o-Plane, Folly Farm's Famous Gallopers and 1950s Cyclone Twist once each (however some including me were lucky enough to get two goes on Cyclone Twist). Just when I thought our riding was over, we had the chance to walk the Brooklyn Cakewalk; I managed two goes.

Alphabetic Summary Table of EFS Rides

Ride
Total
Brooklyn Cakewalk
2
1950s Caterpillar Ride
1
Chair-o-Plane
1
1950s Cyclone Twist
2
1938 Dodgem Track
1
Folly Farm's Famous Gallopers
1
Ghost Train
1
Jets
1
1936 Lakin Swirl
1
Rock n' Roll Waltzer
1
TOTAL
12

Rest Of Friday
When the EFS ended at 19:52 everyone returned to the car park. Someone gave me a lift to my hotel in Tenby. At 20:15 I was back at Myrtle House Hotel. Half an hour later I bought myself a whippy ice cream from a nearby shop, and sat at the viewpoint at the bottom of St Mary Street to eat it. Back in my room, I got what I needed ready for Saturday.

Altogether a worthwhile appetiser to Mega-Glow-Mania at Oakwood. I particularly enjoyed playing on Carousel Woods indoor play structure early and late afternoon, plus one go on the Pembrokeshire Wheel late afternoon. Also I enjoyed Folly Interactive and the new Penguin Coast section, as well as other parts of the zoo again. Best of all was after 17:30: a few vintage rides, a basket meal, and more vintage rides. Basically the visit to Folly Farm can be summed up as a leisurely day around the farm, zoo and other attractions, culminating in a spin on the vintage rides early evening, as a warm-up to Oakwood the day after. Many thanks to Nev for arranging this day, including EFS, at Folly Farm.

More about Friday at Folly Farm available here

Back to the top

Day 2 - Saturday 10 August

Saturday First Thing
Having awoke at 6:10, I had an early breakfast at 7:22: a bowl of cornflakes, a glass of orange juice, beans on toast, four triangles of toast and a cafetiere of coffee. I chose beans on toast as I felt it would be a lighter alternative to a full traditional breakfast; important to consider before riding Megafobia. At 7:45 David Hodgson turned up outside the hotel to take me to Oakwood.

Welcome To Oakwood
When we reached Oakwood at 8:10, a fair few members were already there. Others gradually arrived afterwards.

Morning ERS
The original plan was to start the day with a one-hour ERS on Megafobia from 9:00 to 10:00. Just after the Club entered around 9:00, an unexpected delay occurred. Eventually Nev said there would be a 30 minute bonus ERS on Treetops Coaster followed by the one-hour Megafobia ERS 10:00 to 11:00. This change was to mark the Club's 25th anniversary year.

The half hour ERS on Treetops Coaster began around 9:30, I had six goes. Immediately afterwards the Club headed over to Megafobia. I enjoyed six goes on this wooden coaster including one with Mark Lewis and two goes with Daniel Morris. Some members of the public tried approaching Megafobia, only to be told it was closed until 11:00.

Morning Free Time
When the ERS ended at 11:00, members dispersed around the Park. I had one go on Brer Rabbit. Whilst walking around Oakwood afterwards I met Nev, Christine, Debra and others outside The Restaurant, so I got myself a coffee and sat with them. Later we headed into Neverland (a new attraction for 2013) together. There I had one go on Skull Rock log flume with Alan Chilvers and Maz followed by two goes on Crocodile Coaster and one go on Tink's Flying School.

Baseball
Around 13:00 the Club gathered at the front of the Park to play baseball. Nev asked those who wanted to play to get into two teams, Woodies and Steelies; I joined the Woodies team for the first time ever. Of course Nev played on the Woodies team. The game ended after both sides had batted and fielded seven times each. Final score Steelies 17 Woodies 26.

Afternoon and Evening Free Time
When the game ended I went to the café in Neverland for a ham baguette and coffee. After that Drenched was open. I donned my all-in-one splashsuit for one go on Drenched, I sat next to Planenut. Having disembarked I stood on the bridge with Charlie for two boat landings; both of us received the full impact of the wave on both landings!

From mid-afternoon to mid-evening I rode alone, starting with one go on the Clown Coaster. Next I faced a 50 minute wait for one go on the toboggan run Bobsleigh, but it was worth it. After that I enjoyed eight goes on the drop slide Moon Landing. Early evening I had two goes on each Waterfall slide. Annoyingly I keeled over and accidentally dunked a wrist in the water on my first two landings. After that I rode Bounce, all four Snake River Falls slides and Pirate Ship once each.

Suddenly I met Charlie again and we went around together for a bit. We had one go on Tink's Flying School followed by six drops on Moon Landing. After that Doug was by the bottom of Moon Landing, so Charlie went with Doug whilst I went to Woody's Burger Bar for a burger and fries. Afterwards I met Happy Helen and Sophia again, so I sat and spoke to them whilst I had a coffee and two doughnuts. After that there was still time for Helen, Sophia and me to enjoy one go on Bounce in the dark before the slightly delayed, but highly impressive laser and firework display.

Megafobia Dark ERS
With the public now gone, the finale was our dark ERS on Megafobia. For some reason it started later than planned, but we still had the full hour. Many of us wore or held glow sticks to create a glowing effect, I wore a fluorescent yellow cagoule and held a torch on the coaster. Party music completed the atmosphere. I enjoyed eight goes; I sat next to Simon on my first four goes and next to Daniel Morris on my seventh go. My final go was on the final train of the day.

Cumulative Summary of My Rides (ERSs and Freetime Combined)

Ride
Total
Bobsleigh
1
Bounce
2
Brer Rabbit
1
Clown Coaster
1
Crocodile Coaster
2
Drenched
1
Megafobia
14
Moon Landing
14
Pirate Ship
1
Skull Rock log flume
1
Snake River Falls: Cobra
1
Snake River Falls: Left open slide
1
Snake River Falls: Python
1
Snake River Falls: Right open slide
1
Tink's Flying School
2
Treetops Coaster
6
Waterfall left
2
Waterfall right
2
TOTAL
54

Rest Of Saturday
When the ERS ended at 23:30 Nev gave a short speech before everyone returned to the car park. Finally David Hodgson took me back to Tenby. At ten past midnight I was back in my room, dead tired.

Altogether a mega fun day at Oakwood. Although this was my second time of attending Mega-Glow-Mania at Oakwood, this was my first time on a Saturday, with dark ERS after 22:00, as happened up until 2008. Turnout was higher than last year, presumably due to it being a Saturday this time. It was great adding Crocodile Coaster to my coaster count, and riding three of the Park's other four coasters (Treetops Coaster, Megafobia, Clown Coaster) again. My biggest disappointment was not being able to ride Speed, I'd have liked at least one go on it in order to have ridden all five coasters. It was also a pleasure to meet members who were at Folly Farm for the second day running, and some which weren't there including Doug and Charlie, Happy Helen and her friend Sophia. Many thanks to Nev for organising this trip to Oakwood, the staff for running Treetops Coaster before opening time and Megafobia after closing time, and David Hodgson for kindly giving me lifts from Tenby to Oakwood in the morning and back in the evening.

More about Saturday at Oakwood available here

Back to the top

Day 3 - Sunday 11 August

Introduction
The final day of Mega-Glow-Mania weekend 2013. Mid-morning some members met at Heatherton World of Activities to enjoy go-karting and/or other activities available there. Nev even arranged an EGS (exclusive go-kart session) for those interested; according to the trip invitation it was billed to run from 10.00am to 11.30am. For various reasons I gave Heatherton a miss. The following outlines how I spent Sunday.

Sunday First Thing
Having awoke at 7am, I got ready and packed my belongings, I had breakfast at 8:22. I had the same selection as Friday morning including full cooked, and enjoyed it at a more relaxed pace than Friday and Saturday.

From Tenby to Swansea
Having reached Tenby station at 10:55, I caught the 11:14 train from Tenby to Whitland for the onward 12:08 train to Swansea, and got there at 13:16. Once there I walked across the city centre to Swansea LC.

Swansea LC Water Park
Around 14:00 I went into Swansea LC for a water sliding session. I was in the pool area from 14:10 to 16:55, during which time I enjoyed 20 goes on the Aqua Tube (closed narrow tube slide) and 12 goes on the Aqua Slide (wide open top slide). Most importantly I had two goes on the Master Blaster roller coaster water slide, which was better than my one go during my visit there last year, but it's a pity I didn't have time for even more goes on it. An added bonus was briefly meeting Happy Helen, who was at Oakwood on Saturday, at the start of my session. Altogether a wet and wild way to round off Mega-Glow-Mania weekend.

Cumulative summary of slides:

Slide
Total
Aqua Slide
12
Aqua Tube
20
Master Blaster
2
TOTAL
34

Plus 2 laps of the Lazy River.

More about Sunday afternoon at Swansea LC Water Park available here

Rest of Sunday
Around 17:20 I went to The Bank Statement (Wetherspoons) for a Sunday Club Meal, which included a roast meal (I chose pork) plus a drink from the Sunday Club menu (I chose Tuborg). For an additional fee I added chocolate fudge pudding from the Sunday Club dessert selection. Having left Wetherspoons I walked straight back to the station, whereupon I caught the 18:52 train to Newport for the onward 20:31 train to Bath Spa. I finally arrived home around 22:00.

Back to the top

Outro

Highlights
Three nights' B&B in Tenby, including the delicious filling breakfasts.
Visiting Folly Farm and Oakwood for the second year running.
Playing on Carousel Woods indoor play structure early and late afternoon Friday.
Exclusive Fair Session on the Vintage Funfair rides plus basket meal in the café Friday evening.
Saturday morning ERS on Treetops Coaster and Megafobia.
Adding another steelie Crocodile Coaster to my coaster count Saturday.
Riding Treetops Coaster, Megafobia, and Clown Coaster again, having first ridden them last year.
Light and firework display just after 22:00 Saturday evening.
Saturday evening (dark) ERS on Megafobia.
Water sliding at Swansea LC Water Park Sunday afternoon (particularly my two goes on Master Blaster).
Meeting Nev and Christine, Alan Chilvers, Big Stevie B, Doug and Charlie, Emerald Evans, Mophead, Planenut, Ryan Hackett and Happy Helen again, plus Helen's friend Sophia who I don't recall seeing before.

Lowlights
Speed out of action all day Saturday; I was hoping to have at least one go (and ideally more) on it.
Keeling over and getting parts of my hoody wet on my first Waterfall landing, even though I was wearing my all-in-one splashsuit.

Summing Up
Altogether fun-packed long weekend away. It was great to visit Folly Farm and Oakwood for the second year running and thus ride many of their rides (particularly Oakwood's Megafobia) again. Many thanks again to Nev for arranging the trips to Folly Farm and Oakwood (also Heatherton for those who went), and David Hodgson for kindly giving me lifts from Tenby to Oakwood Saturday morning and back Saturday evening.

Mega-Glow-Mania weekend 2013 can be likened to a three-course meal as follows:
Starter: Folly Farm on Friday
Main course: Oakwood on Saturday
Dessert: Heatherton (or in my case Swansea LC) on Sunday

One other bit of trivia worth mentioning: I went down at least one slide of some sort Friday, Saturday and Sunday as follows:
Friday: Carousel Woods Bumper Slide and tube slides at Folly Farm.
Saturday: Moon Landing drop slide at Oakwood.
Sunday: Aqua Tube, Aqua Slide and Master Blaster water slides at Swansea LC Water Park.

I look forward to seeing you and everyone else on a future Club trip, whenever that will be. Reluctantly I won't be attending either day of Loopathon this year. Therefore my next RCCGB trip will most likely be the Blackpool Bash 2014.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment