Friday 24 October 2014

RCCGB Loopathon 2014

Date: Saturday 11 October to Sunday 12 October 2014
Venue: Alton Towers and Drayton Manor Park
Who Went: Me and a large number of other RCCGB members, including Andy Hine, Alan Chilvers, Big Stevie B, Dave Perry, Death, Debra Boggis, Doug, Charlie, Emily and Lizzie, Emerald Evans, Gareth Preece, Happy Helen, Lucy Cosnett, Mary (Regatta) and Andy Knight, Matt Walker, Planenut, Ryan Hackett, Scott Easter, Sophia Jones, Wendy Evans.

DISCLAIMER: The above is NOT intended to be an exhaustive list of everyone who attended. It's a small sample of attendees; mainly those I spoke to and/or rode with at Drayton Manor Park. I sincerely apologise to anyone I've not listed. Not everyone, whether or not listed above, attended both Parks.

Introduction
The RCCGB's annual two day autumn event to mark the end of the coaster season: Alton Towers on the Saturday and Drayton Manor Park on the Sunday. Members had the choice of attending either or both days; for various reason I chose to attend Drayton Manor only. This was my second time of attending Loopathon day 2 (Drayton Manor Park), and my fourth Loopathon attendance overall since joining the RCCGB in March 2005.

To make the rest of this report easier to read, I've split it into sections. Click the applicable link below to jump to the section you want to read:

Day 1 - Saturday 11 October
Day 2 - Sunday 12 October
Outro

Enjoy my report at your leisure.

Back to the top

Day 1 - Saturday 11 October
The first day of Loopathon 2014 the RCCGB visited Alton Towers; the day included ERSs before opening and after closing, plus a lunch. For various reasons I gave day one a miss. The following outlines how I spent Saturday.

Getting To Tamworth
Since I wasn't attending Loopathon day 1 (Alton Towers), I travelled to the Midlands Saturday morning. I caught the delayed 9:36 train from Bath Spa to Bristol Temple Meads, followed by the 10:30 train to Tamworth. Having reached Tamworth at 12:21, I had a Sub meal and cookie at Subway in Tamworth town centre before checking into the Tamworth Arms where I stayed overnight.

Snowdome
Mid-afternoon I went to Snowdome. As well as an ice rink and several snow activities, this has a swimming pool with one water slide. I got to Snowdome in time for the 15:00 flume and inflatable session, which lasted 90 minutes. Having changed I headed straight for the flume, and enjoyed 25 goes on it. This water slide is a closed tube for about half way down, and open-top the rest of the way. Undeniably this quite a tame water slide compared to ones I've been down elsewhere. Nonetheless, this was my first time of water sliding here, and hence first time of going on this particular water slide. It was great to add another water slide to my slide count for the first time since my début visit to Oasis Leisure Centre, Swindon on 16 December 2012.

Rest of Saturday
Having left Snowdome around 16:50 I walked around the Castle Grounds for an hour or so before returning to the Tamworth Arms. Around 19:00 I had a meal there: Hunters Chicken (served with chips, peas and salad) for main course, followed by treacle sponge and custard for dessert, plus a pint of Carling to drink. I relaxed in my room the rest of the evening.

Back to the top

Day 2 - Sunday 12 October
Loopathon 2014 continued Sunday 12 October 2014 at Drayton Manor Park, and I was glad to be there.

Sunday First Thing
I awoke at 6:45 and had breakfast around 7:45. For breakfast I had cereal, orange juice, a pot of coffee, and a full English breakfast. Just after 8:20 Planenut gave me a lift to Drayton Manor Park. It was foggy at the time.

Welcome To Drayton Manor Park
When Planenut and I reached Drayton Manor Park around 8:30 we entered the Tower Suite where everyone was waiting. Coffee and cookies were available, so I had a cup of coffee and a cookie. I spoke to several other members including Emerald Evans, Big Stevie B, Doug, Charlie, Emily and Lizzie, Death, Gareth Preece, Happy Helen and Sophia Jones. Shortly after 9:30 the Club entered the Park, it was still foggy.

Apocalypse ERS
The day began with an ERS on the tall drop tower Apocalypse. Normally there are three ride options: sit down, stand up with floor, stand up no floor. This time stand up no floor was out of action, but the other two ride options were available. Although I was disappointed at not being able to ride stand up no floor, I enjoyed one sit down go and three stand up with floor goes. The fog meant that whist at the top it was impossible to see the surrounding countryside ahead, and the ground immediately below was hazy.

Summary of my rides on Apocalypse this ERS: Sit down 1, Stand up with floor 3. Did anyone beat me on that?

Morning Freetime
When the ERS ended, members dispersed around Drayton Manor Park. Planenut and I headed for the swinging inverter ride Pandemonium. Swinging forwards, backwards and over the top was great fun, but once was enough for me. Next I approached the gyro swing Maelstrom. It seemed to have a problem, but after a test run it was ready for riding. I enjoyed one go; Wendy Evans sat to the right of me, and Lucy Cosnett sat to the right of her. Although one go on Maelstrom was fun, no way could I ride it twice straight off.

So far I hadn't been on any roller coasters, so I enjoyed two goes on the Intamin AG Stand-Up Coaster Shockwave; I stood in the front row on both goes. Next I was in two minds about riding the new ride Air Race. Since about four hours had passed since my cooked breakfast, I gave it a go. Going sideways and upside-down felt unusual, presumably that motion is to simulate a somersaulting aeroplane. It was great for me to try this ride, but once was enough for me. Afterwards I had one go on Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster in Thomas Land before going to lunch.

Lunch
At 12:30 members went to the Tower Suite for lunch. A selection of Indian food was available; I had tandoori chicken with masala sauce, vegetable curry and Bombay potatoes, mango chutney, a slice of ham, and salad. I sat on the same table as Scott Easter, Lucy Cosnett and Wendy Evans. Of course a meal is not complete without a dessert; out of two options I chose crumble and custard. In addition everyone received (i) a souvenir mug (bearing the Drayton Manor Park logo, RCCGB logo and date of the visit) and (ii) a glass of champagne (or orange juice). I wasn't expecting either of those. David Bromilow gave a speech about the Park and its rides, and answered some members' questions. Afterwards an auction of a hand-drawn Drayton Manor Park map and some giant cuddly toys raised over £300 for charity.

Afternoon Freetime
Around 14:20 I re-entered the Park and resumed riding, starting with the Vekoma Junior Boomerang Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission. This ride had a problem when I got there, but it was soon fixed, and I enjoyed one go on this coaster. Next I donned my all-in-one splashsuit for one go on Stormforce 10. Mighty splashes occurred during the two drops. After removing my splashsuit I enjoyed two more goes on Shockwave, front row followed by third row. Suddenly I met Scott Easter and Lucy Cosnett by Air Race. Scott queued for Air Race, but Lucy didn't fancy riding it when she watched it in motion. I decided not to go on it as my one go before lunch was enough for one day. Next I rode The Bounty and Flying Dutchman once each. Afterwards I had one go on Buffalo Coaster. This is the Park's oldest coaster, it's quite long but doesn't rise and fall much. Finally I had time to ride Jolly Buccaneer, Jeremy's Flying Academy, Cranky's Drop Tower and Rocking Bulstrode once each before the Park closed at 17:00.

Evening ERS
Now that the Park had officially closed, the RCCGB had exclusive use of G-Force, Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster and Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission for an hour. Since I was already in Thomas Land, I began with two goes on Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster, both of which were in the back row. The rest of the ERS I rode G-Force, and clocked up nine goes; on two of them I sat next to Planenut. I was surprised how quiet this was for an ERS, after most goes I stepped on to the exit platform and back on to the train because so few people were waiting for it. I wore my pink "Coaster Crazy Kid on Tour" hi-vis waistcoat for some of my goes on G-Force. Altogether another great ERS. I'm glad I rode Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster first, because it got stuck on the lift hill after I had switched to riding G-Force. I did exceptionally well to get nine goes on G-Force; I didn't expect that many. Admittedly I didn't ride Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission during the ERS, but never mind; at least I rode it once after lunch.

Summary of my rides this ERS: Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster 2, G-Force 9. Did anyone beat me on that?

Final Send-Off
Everyone assembled in a circle near Thomas Land for Hokey Cokey. At the end first timers were called into the centre to form a small circle facing outwards for the group hug. This marked the end of the 2014 coaster season as far as RCCGB trips are concerned. During this time several other members liked seeing me wearing my pink "Coaster Crazy Kid on Tour!" hi-vis waistcoat over my 43rd birthday T-shirt. Finally everyone headed out of Drayton Manor Park. On the way out the beautiful red sunset was well photographed by many members. I spoke to a few other members one final time, including Scott and Doug. Back at the car park members said their last goodbyes before heading home.

Cumulative Summary of My Rides (ERSs and Freetime Combined)

Ride
Total
Air Race
1
Apocalypse
4
Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission
1
Buffalo Coaster
1
Cranky's Drop Tower
1
Flying Dutchman
1
G-Force
9
Jeremy's Flying Academy
1
Jolly Buccaneer
1
Maelstrom
1
Pandemonium
1
Rocking Bulstrode
1
Shockwave
4
Stormforce 10
1
The Bounty
1
Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster
3
TOTAL
32

Journey Home
At 18:30 Planenut took me to Birmingham International, where I caught the late-running 18:53 train to Birmingham New Street. When I arrived there at 19:22 I went to a nearby McDonalds for a Quarter Pounder with cheese meal and a strawberry sundae; I ate the burger and fries there but took the sundae and rest of my drink back to the station. There was still time for me to buy a takeaway cup of coffee in the station to take on to the 20:12 train to Bristol Temple Meads. Having reached Bristol Temple Meads I had just a few minutes wait for the 22:15 train to Bath Spa, and got there at 22:29.

More about Sunday at Drayton Manor Park available here

Back to the top

Outro

Highlights
Adding the flume at Snowdome to my water slide count.
One night's B&B at Tamworth Arms.
Meeting members I'd met on previous Club trips again.
Morning ERS on Apocalypse in the fog.
Re-riding the five coasters which I first rode during Loopathon 2011.
High overall ride count (ERSs and normal time combined).
Delicious and filling two-course lunch at Towers Suite.
Evening ERS on Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster and G-Force.
Hokey Cokey and group hug at the end.

Lowlights
Apocalypse stand up no floor option unavailable (but I did the other two ride options during the morning ERS).

Unexpected Surprises
Seeing Scott Easter wearing a blue Team Bath hoody, made by Surridge. Although such hoodies are a common sight in Bath, I didn't expect to see anybody wearing one of those in the Midlands.
Free mugs for everyone lunchtime; I thought that was a one-off RCCGB 25th anniversary commemorative gift at Loopathon 2013, not something to be repeated in 2014.
Glass of champagne (or orange juice) lunchtime; that's the first time I've seen that happen on a RCCGB trip.

Summing Up
Another excellent trip, and great turnout too. The weather was reasonable, after a foggy start it was sunny from late morning, and cloudy with sunny intervals during the afternoon. It got a bit chilly late afternoon, but at least it was dry all day. It was great meeting other members including Andy Hine, Alan Chilvers, Big Stevie B, Death, Doug and his children, Emerald Evans, Lucy Cosnett, Gareth Preece, Happy Helen and Sophia Jones, Planenut, and Wendy Evans again, as well as Scott Easter whom I don't recall seeing before. Also it was great to re-ride all five roller coasters (Shockwave, Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster, Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission, Buffalo Coaster, G-Force) which I previously rode during Loopathon 2011. Just one point, they're all steel. Come on Drayton Manor, get some wood! Lunch was delicious and filling, an Indian meal plus a dessert; a vast improvement on the Loopathon 2011 (Drayton Manor) lunch. Many members liked my 43rd birthday T-shirt; I wore that as Loopathon day 2 happened just 12 days after my birthday (30 September 2014).

Many thanks to Andy Hine for organising this trip, the ride staff for operating Apocalypse before opening and three coasters after closing, the catering staff for the delicious and filling lunch, and David Bromilow for the after-lunch speech. Thanks also to Planenut for kindly giving me lifts from Tamworth Arms to Drayton Manor Park in the morning, and Drayton Manor Park to Birmingham International in the evening.

Roll on the 2015 Blackpool Bash, I hope to be there.

Reflections
Having first joined the RCCGB in March 2005, here is my track record for Loopathon attendance in ten years of membership 2005 to 2014 inclusive:

2005 & 2006: Alton Towers only
2007 to 2010: Did not attend Loopathon at all
2011 Drayton Manor only
2012 & 2013: Did not attend Loopathon at all
2014 Drayton Manor only

So this can be summed up as:
2 x Alton Towers only (2005, 2006)
2 x Drayton Manor only (2011, 2014)
6 x Missed Loopathon altogether (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013)

After all this time, I've never attended a complete Loopathon in a single year. I really must try and make the effort to do so next year in what will be my 11th year of RCCGB membership.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment