Thursday 9 October 2014

Nemesis Nick's Birthday Outing 2014

Date: Tuesday 30 September 2014
Venue: Thorpe Park
Who Went: Just me

N.B. Any use of "today" in this report means Tuesday 30 September 2014.

Introduction
Tuesday 30 September 2014 was my 43rd birthday and, as usual, my biggest decision was where to go to mark the occasion. Last year my birthday outing consisting of a day at Thorpe Park followed by a celebratory evening meal at Harvester, Staines was a great success, so by the end of August 2014 I strongly favoured doing exactly the same again this year. Early September I saved myself money by booking Advance train tickets from Bath to Staines and back, plus an advance web ticket to Thorpe Park. For the fourth year running I had a special birthday T-shirt of my own design printed, this time at T-Shirt Print, The Galleries, Bristol, about a week before my birthday.

Getting To Thorpe Park
It was necessary for me to wake up at 4:00, which for me is exceptionally early. From Bath Spa I caught the 05:41 train to Reading. Once there I had time to enjoy a much-needed coffee at Upper Crust on the footbridge before catching the connecting 07:12 train to Staines. I reached Staines at 7:56, more than two hours before Thorpe Park was due to open! To kill some time I enjoyed a cappuccino and butter croissant at Waitrose Café in Two Rivers Retail Park. Around 8:50 I caught the Thorpe Park Express bus from Staines Bus Station to Thorpe Park.

Welcome To Thorpe Park
I finally reached Thorpe Park just after 9:00. Thus I still had about an hour to wait until the Park was due to open. The Advance Ticket Collection point wasn't open yet, so I waited nearby until it opened around 9:40. As soon as it opened I collected my pre-booked ticket. Without further ado I waited at one of the entrances. I happened to be close to the front of the queue. More thrill seekers gradually joined the back of the queue afterwards. At 10:00 the front shutters rose and visitors funnelled through the ticket check point.

Morning Riding

Rush
Once admitted I began with the giant swing Rush. Both swings were in action, and I managed to get straight on to it. This S&S Power Screamin' Swing has been operating since 27 May 2005. The swing went forwards and backwards a little to start with, rising higher and higher on subsequent forwards and backwards passes. Eventually it swung really high forwards and backwards. Finally the forwards and backwards swings became low ones, until the swing stopped completely. A mega fun ride to start my birthday visit to Thorpe Park, I remained quiet the whole time unlike when I first rode it in June 2005. For now I only had one go, as it happened this ended up being my only go on here all day.

Colossus
My first roller coaster ride of the day was Colossus. This Intamin AG Looping Coaster (Colossus) has been operating at Thorpe Park since 22 March 2002. According to the Roller Coaster Database (RCDB), it is still one of just two coasters of this model worldwide.

Being as it was early in the day I was able to walk straight up to the station. I sat in the back row. Once despatched, the train climbed the lift hill, went around a bend and down a steep hill, round the vertical loop and under a bridge. Next it went up half a loop, before doing a U-turn whilst inverted and down another half loop. After that it went back under same bridge as earlier, up and down a bit, along a flat section, and into the horizontal corkscrew. Finally the train headed around the end bend on an angle, along the home straight and back to the station. Altogether a fun ride, I was totally relaxed and didn't scream at all throughout the ride, unlike when I first rode it in June 2005.

Of course, once wasn't enough. Having left via the exit path, I headed straight back to the entrance to have a second go on Colossus. The waiting time for rows other than the front row was still minimal, and I got into a vacant row, but can't remember which one (it wasn't the back). Once my second go was over, I headed for a different ride.

SAW - The Ride
This Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter (Custom) has been operating since 14 March 2009. It is one of nine coasters of this model currently operating worldwide. SAW - The Ride was almost walk-on at the time. When it was my turn I sat in the front row. The car set off through the building, I noticed a dip in there. Once outside the building the car worked its way around corners to the vertical lift. The car climbed the vertical lift, went down the beyond vertical first drop, around the vertical loop and back to the station. Altogether a fun ride, I was totally relaxed the whole journey and did not scream at all. However I still call the lighting effects and air currents in the building unnecessary overkill. You wouldn't get those in a real factory sawmill. Why do they bother having them here?

Afterwards I had a second go on SAW - The Ride; once again the waiting time was minimal. This time I sat in the far right seat of the back row. This ended up being my final go of the day on this; I never returned to it later

Chief Ranger's Carousel
A roundabout with galloping horses and other features. This ride was walk-on, I mounted a galloping horse. Shortly afterwards the ride started. This is undeniably a tame ride, but worth riding to bump up my ride count for the day. You could say this was a rest ride after SAW - The Ride. This was my only go on Chief Ranger's Carousel all day.

Mr Monkey's Banana Ride
Basically a swinging pirate ship, but the boat resembles a yellow banana. This ride was walk-on, and there were only a few other riders on it. I sat in an end row to get the maximum thrill out of it. A fun "fill in" ride to add to the total number of rides this visit, but once was enough.

Stealth
This Intamin AG Accelerator Coaster has been operating at Thorpe Park since 15 March 2006. With a maximum height of 205.1' (62.5 metres) it is the second tallest coaster currently operating in the UK and fourth tallest coaster currently operating in Europe. Its top speed of 80 mph makes it the fastest coaster currently operating in the UK and third fastest coaster currently operating in Europe.

After queuing for about five minutes or so I got into a vacant row, but can't remember which one. The train set off, climbed the vertical lift hill, went over the top and down the vertical drop. Having landed, there was one more gentle up-down undulation, before the train was back at the station. Wow, a mega fun ride. The snag was the fun was all over way too quickly! As I left the train I unexpectedly saw Planenut from the RCCGB, so we went on Swarm together. After this go we had a couple pictures taken of us together near Swarm entrance.

Lunch at Roast & Relish
Feeling really hungry, my next stop was Roast & Relish for a filled baguette. A selection of fillings were available, I chose pulled pork. I also had a white coffee to go with my baguette. The weather was now surprisingly hot for the last day of September.

Afternoon Riding
Immediately after lunch I allowed some time to elapse before returning to riding. Since it was now quite hot, I removed my jogging bottoms to reveal my shorts which were already underneath them. When I felt ready to ride again I approached Swarm.

Swarm
Thorpe Park's newest coaster, which opened 15 March 2012. This Bolliger & Mabillard Wing Coaster (Custom) is a fairly new model, which has been in production since 2011. According to the RCDB, this is one of seven coasters of this model currently operating worldwide (one more is currently under construction), and the second to enter operation. Its maximum height of 127' (38.7 m) makes it the fifth tallest coaster currently operating in the UK. It appears to me as though this coaster was themed around an air crash, due to the broken aeroplane on the ground and the station which resembles an air crash / fire damaged church with a missing roof. Originally all the seats faced forwards, but at the start of the 2013 season, the back two rows were reversed to face backwards to the direction of travel. I was determined to ride Swarm both backwards and forwards.

First go: backwards. I set off from the left hand platform (as viewed facing direction of travel), and sat in the second row from the back. The train climbed the lift hill, descended the steep first drop, climbed the next hill, flipped over at the top before going down again. This was followed by a loop, another flip-over and the rest of the course back to the station. Travelling backwards on a coaster was an unusual sensation, but I didn't find it as scary as the "Have you got the guts to brave it backwards?" slogan implies.

Second go: forwards. I set off from the right hand platform (as viewed facing direction of travel), and sat in the second row from the front.

Mid-Afternoon Refreshment
At this point I fancied a cup of coffee, so I went to The Coffee Shack in The Dome for a regular Americano. I also treated myself to a black cherry & almond slice. Whilst consuming them I put my birthday card on the table.

Depth Charge
Four open top wavy water coasters which you ride fully clothed in dinghies. These NV Aquatic slides were built in 1991. This was my first ever time of going on these; I enjoyed one go per slide left to right (as viewed from the top). The waiting time was about five to ten minutes each time. I put my red cagoule on for each go, though I had to remove it between goes due to the hot weather.

Storm Surge
This WhiteWater West water ride first opened in 2011. When I approached this ride I was able to take the one remaining seat in a round dinghy already containing other riders. Once seated the boat climbed the tall lift hill. Having reached the top, the dinghy floated down what is really a wide water slide all the way to the bottom, where there was a splash. Finally the boat sailed along a canal at the bottom, around a bend and back the disembarkation point. Altogether a fun water ride. My only gripe was the water in the bottom of the dinghy; by positioning my feet at the highest point within the boat going uphill and downhill I just about managed to keep my feet above the water. One really needs Wellington boots to ride this. The attendants ought really to pump water out of the boats between rides, provided it doesn't take too long. This was my only go on Storm Surge all day.

Tidal Wave
"You will get very wet on this ride". That was no problem for me; I donned my black leggings as well as my red cagoule just before getting on the boat. This Hopkins Rides Shoot-the-Chutes boat ride opened on 7 April 2000. After the boat left the station, there was a long climb to the top. At the top the boat did a U-turn and went down the ramp (a long way down), until it hit the water with a mighty splash. Finally there was another U-bend and back to the station. This time once was enough for me, I never returned to it later. Having disembarked I removed my cagoule and leggings. My T-shirt and shorts were still mostly dry, although a little water had gone through (that particular cagoule is not completely waterproof). However I was considerably drier than the other riders who had ridden without any form of rain gear, serve them right!

Rumba Rapids
Now for the Intamin river rafting ride Rumba Rapids. First opened in 1987 as Thunder River, it operated as Ribena Rumba Rapids from 2002 to 2006. Since 2007 it has operated as Rumba Rapids. I put on my blue cagoule (but not leggings) and got into boat 13, which floated around the flowing waterway, up the ramp back to the station. Part way around I noticed waves which gave the feeling of being on choppy water, but apart from that it was more a relaxing ride than a thrilling one. Back at the station, the attendant asked if I wanted a second go; I said "Yes please" and was allowed to stay put for a second go. At the end of my second go I disembarked and took my cagoule off. This was my final water ride of the day.

X
An indoor roller coaster. This Vekoma Enigma is one of just two coasters of this model operating worldwide. It originally operated as X:\No Way Out from 23 March 1996 to the end of the 2012 season, during which time the train had five rows of seats which faced backwards to the direction of travel. Since the start of the 2013 season it has been operating as X, with new forward facing trains, and the building now illuminated by lasers and disco lights. I had two goes: back row followed by front row. On both of my goes there was no queue for this ride. All in all, this coaster was worth riding to say I'd ridden it this visit, but I wouldn't rate it highly.

Detonator: Bombs Away
This Fabbri Group Mega Drop Tower opened in 2001, and originally operated as Detonator. Since the opening of Angry Birds Land in spring 2014 it has been operating, still in its original position, as part of Angry Birds Land under the name Detonator: Bombs Away. Quite frankly I don't see any point in the name change. It is 115 feet (35 metres) tall and has a top speed of 50.7 mph. The seats are arranged on a circular unit surrounding the tower. When I approached the ride the waiting time was very short, I only had to wait for one run to finish before it was my turn to get on. Once everyone was secured, the seat unit was pulled to the top of the tower, whereupon it was released. It's difficult to describe how it feels during the free-fall drop, but once again I was relaxed throughout the whole ride duration, and didn't scream at all. Sadly the ride was all over too quickly, it's just once up and once down. Another mega fun ride, the only way to find out what it's like is to ride it yourself. Having left the ride I went straight back to the entrance for a second go, and once again had only a short wait to get on. After my second go ended I left Detonator: Bombs Away as I wanted to go on other rides in the remaining available time.

Stealth
So far I still hadn't ridden Nemesis Inferno, and was going to ride that next, but I suddenly decided to cram in one or two more goes on Stealth (which I'd already ridden earlier) first. As I was about to get on the train, I saw Planenut again, so we sat together in the back row and enjoyed the ride. At the end of that row, Planenut and I said goodbye to each other for the final time. Afterwards I had one more go on Stealth, this time I sat in the second row from the front.

Nemesis Inferno
This Bolliger & Mabillard Inverted Coaster (Custom) began operating 5 April 2003 and is currently one of 17 coasters of this model currently operating worldwide. I still hadn't been on this, and was hoping to get at least one go before ride closing time which was now just a few minutes away. Fortunately this was still open and walk-on, so I got into a vacant row. Once despatched the train set off around a clockwise downhill spiral around the volcano, then through a tunnel. After that it went up the lift hill, downhill, and around various bends. There was one loop-the-loop along the way. I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it, and didn't scream or shout "Mercy" (unlike my very first visit to Thorpe Park in June 2005).

Afterwards I was able to have a second go without recirculating around the paths. This time I sat in an empty seat in the front row, thereby giving me an unobstructed view of the way ahead.

When the train returned to the station the operator said the next run would be the final run of the day. A few other riders were waiting to get on, but once they were seated I was able to take a seat in a vacant row, this time I chose the third row. At the end of this run the ride was closed, and thus everyone left the ride.

Summary of my day at Thorpe Park in order of activity

Rush 1
Colossus 2
SAW - The Ride 2
Chief Ranger's Carousel 1
Mr Monkey's Banana Ride 1
Stealth 2

Lunch at Roast & Relish

Swarm (backwards) 1
Swarm (forwards) 1

Black cherry & almond slice and Americano at The Coffee Shack

Depth Charge far left slide 1
Depth Charge second slide from left 1
Depth Charge second slide from right 1
Depth Charge far right slide 1
Storm Surge 1
Tidal Wave 1
Rumba Rapids 2
X 2
Detonator: Bombs Away 2
Stealth 2
Nemesis Inferno 3

Cumulative summary of rides all day

Ride
Total
Chief Ranger's Carousel
1
Colossus
2
Depth Charge far left slide
1
Depth Charge far right slide
1
Depth Charge second slide from left
1
Depth Charge second slide from right
1
Detonator: Bombs Away
2
Mr Monkey's Banana Ride
1
Nemesis Inferno
3
Rumba Rapids
2
Rush
1
SAW - The Ride
2
Stealth
4
Storm Surge
1
Swarm (backwards)
1
Swarm (forwards)
1
Tidal Wave
1
X
2
TOTAL
28

After leaving Nemesis Inferno I gradually headed towards the Dome and exit. Along the way I had a few more photos of me taken in the Park, including a few of me standing by an Angry Bird sculpture in Angry Birds Land, a few of me outside the Dome and a few of me on the bridge. I finally left Thorpe Park just before 17:30.

Returning To Staines
I walked to the bus stop, and as I expected, there was a long bus queue. A Thorpe Park Express bus turned up at 17:34, but I didn't think I'd get on it. Thankfully I managed to get on, but had to stand all the way. At 17:38 the bus left Thorpe Park and headed back to Staines. It finally reached Staines Bus Station at 17:56.

Birthday Dinner
The birthday fun continued back in Staines town centre. Around 18:20 I went to Harvester for my celebratory dinner. Once seated I placed my birthday card on the table and took time deciding what I wanted to eat and drink. Eventually I chose 7 inch gammon steak under the meal deal. This included fries, buttered peas, grilled half tomato, one pineapple ring and one fried egg, plus a fill-it-yourself salad bowl. I went to the salad bar to fill my salad bowl whilst waiting for my main course to arrive. To drink, I had a choice of soft drink, tea or coffee included in the price of the meal deal, or alternatively an alcoholic drink specified on the meal deal menu for an additional upgrade fee. Being as it was my birthday I upgraded to one pint of Carling. My main course was really delicious; the accompanying salad bowl made it more filling.

Having completed my main course I was ready to order a dessert. The meal deal included either the default Sundae Best (which didn't include cream) at no extra charge, or any of the other sundaes from the main menu (all of which were topped with fluffy cream) for an additional upgrade fee. I upgraded to one of the sundaes which included cream; I ended up choosing Raspberry & Coconut. Its combination of raspberry jam coconut slice, creamy vanilla ice cream, topped with fluffy cream and raspberry sauce was a delicious treat to finish my meal.

When I finished my Carlsberg around 19:35, there was still a long time before I really needed to go to the station. Therefore I ended my meal with a cappuccino. This wasn't included in the meal deal, but I felt it was worth the extra cost.

Summary of my meal
Drink: One pint of Carling
Main course: 7 inch gammon steak (included fries, buttered peas, grilled half tomato, one pineapple ring, one fried egg and salad bowl)
Dessert: Raspberry & Coconut Sundae
After-meal drink: Cup of cappuccino

Journey Home
I left Harvester around 20:15 and began walking to Staines railway station. Once there I caught the 20:53 train to Reading. Having reached Reading at 21:40 there was time for me to have a small Americano at Upper Crust on the inter-platform footbridge before catching the 22:12 train to Bath Spa. I finally reached Bath Spa at 23:20 and home about ten minutes later.

Outro

Highlights
Excellent weather, mainly sunny all day and hot for the time of year during the afternoon.
Unexpectedly meeting Planenut from the RCCGB late morning and again late afternoon.
Riding Stealth with Planenut once late morning and once late afternoon.
Riding all six operating coasters again (Colossus, SAW - The Ride, Stealth, Swarm, X, Nemesis Inferno).
Adding all four Depth Charge slides to my ride count.
High overall ride count.
Celebratory birthday dinner at Harvester in Staines town centre in the evening.

Lowlights
Flying Fish out of action, which made it impossible to ride all seven coasters on this visit.
Not having time to ride Vortex or Zodiac.

Summing Up
Altogether a mega fun day out to mark my 43rd birthday. Where better to spend one's birthday than enjoying the rides at The Nation's Thrill Capital? The weather was excellent, dry and mainly sunny all day, and sufficiently hot for just T-shirt and shorts during the afternoon. Effectively a summer-like day on the last day of September, which is officially an autumn day. Ride queues were surprisingly short, generally about five to ten minutes and in many cases walk-on, hence my high ride count. It was really satisfying to ride all six coasters that were operating (Colossus, SAW - The Ride, Stealth, Swarm, X, Nemesis Inferno) which I first rode on previous trips. It's a pity Flying Fish was out of action all day as, although tame, I would have liked at least one go on it to have ridden all seven coasters. In the case of Swarm, I enjoyed riding it both backwards and forwards again, just like my birthday visit in 2013. Just one point about the seven coasters, they're all steel. Come on Thorpe Park, get some wood! It was also great riding the four Depth Charge slides for the first time ever, and thus adding them to my ride count, and re-riding other non-coaster rides I first rode on previous trips, including Rush, Storm Surge, Tidal Wave and Rumba Rapids. It's a pity I didn't have time to ride Vortex or Zodiac, but never mind. Closing time always seems to come too soon at Thorpe Park. An unexpected added bonus was meeting Planenut from the RCCGB and thus riding Stealth with him late morning and late afternoon. The celebratory evening dinner at Harvester in Staines town centre was the grand finale to this special day.

Many people liked my self-designed birthday T-shirt. Some were puzzled when they first saw the front, until I showed the back. Wearing that throughout the day added to the fun of celebrating my birthday.

Photos of my birthday outing are available here

No comments:

Post a Comment