Thursday 9 October 2014

Nemesis Nick's Birthday Outing 2014 Midi Report

Date: Tuesday 30 September 2014
Venue: Thorpe Park
Who Went: Just me

N.B. Any use of "today" in this report means Tuesday 30 September 2014.

Rationale For Trip
Tuesday 30 September 2014 was my 43rd birthday. Just like last year, I decided to spend the day at Thorpe Park again this year. Early September I booked Advance train tickets from Bath to Staines and back, plus an advance web ticket to Thorpe Park. For the fourth year running I had a special birthday T-shirt of my own design printed, this time at T-Shirt Print, The Galleries, Bristol, about a week before my birthday.

Getting To Thorpe Park
It was necessary for me to wake up exceptionally early at 4:00, in order to get ready and catch the 05:41 train from Bath Spa to Reading. After a coffee at Upper Crust I caught the connecting 07:12 train to Staines. Having reached Staines at 7:56 there was still ample time for me to enjoy a cappuccino and butter croissant at Waitrose Café. Around 8:50 I caught the Thorpe Park Express bus from Staines Bus Station to Thorpe Park.

Welcome To Thorpe Park
I reached Thorpe Park just after 9:00. Thus I still had about an hour to wait until the Park was due to open. When the Advance Ticket Collection point opened around 9:40 I collected my pre-booked ticket and waited in one of the entry queues. At 10:00 the front shutters rose and visitors funnelled through the ticket check point.

Morning Riding
Once admitted I began with one go on the giant swing Rush, which was walk-on at the time. A mega fun ride to start my birthday visit. My next stop was the roller coaster Colossus. I enjoyed one go in the back row followed by one go in another row. Its vertical loop, horizontal corkscrew and other features made this another exciting ride, and the waiting time was minimal for both goes.

Next I had two goes on SAW - The Ride. This roller coaster featuring a vertical drop and loop was great fun, but I question the need for the lighting effects and air currents in the building as you wouldn't get those in a real factory sawmill. The waiting time was minimal for both goes. After that I rode the much milder Chief Ranger's Carousel and Mr Monkey's Banana Ride once each. My final ride before lunch was the roller coaster Stealth. Going up the vertical lift hill, over the top and down the vertical drop gave a mega fun ride, albeit over too quickly for my liking. Suddenly I met Planenut from the RCCGB, so we had one go on Stealth together.

Lunch at Roast & Relish
Feeling really hungry, my next stop was Roast & Relish for a filled baguette. A selection of fillings were available, I chose pulled pork. I also had a white coffee to go with my baguette. The weather was now surprisingly hot for the last day of September.

Afternoon Riding
Immediately after lunch I allowed some time to elapse before returning to riding. When I felt ready to ride again I approached Swarm. When this coaster opened in March 2012, all its seats faced forwards, but at the start of the 2013 season, the back two rows were reversed to face backwards to the direction of travel. I had one go backwards followed by one go forwards. A mega fun ride, albeit over a bit soon for my liking. Afterwards I enjoyed a regular Americano and black cherry & almond slice at The Coffee Shack in the Dome.

Back outside, I went on some water rides starting with Depth Charge. This was my first ever time of riding these water coasters, I enjoyed all four slides once each. Next I had one go on Storm Surge, I positioned my feet to minimise the possibility of them getting wet from the water in the boat whilst going up the lift hill and down the slide. Afterwards I donned my black leggings as well as my red cagoule for one go on Tidal Wave. Going up the lift hill, around the bend, and down to give a mighty splash on landing was great fun. My T-shirt and shorts remained mostly dry, whereas other riders were soaked, serve them right for riding without rain gear! My final water ride was the Rumba Rapids, I enjoyed two goes on this boat ride.

Late afternoon I had two goes on the indoor roller coaster X (once in the back row followed by once in the front row). This was walk-on for both goes. Next I enjoyed two goes on Detonator: Bombs Away. Originally just called Detonator, this drop tower was renamed Detonator: Bombs Away when it became part of the new Angry Birds Land in spring 2014. The rise to the top and the freefall drop were great fun. After that I approached Stealth. Suddenly I met Planenut again, so I enjoyed one go in the back row with him. Having said our last goodbyes, I had one more go on Stealth in the second row from the front.

Finally I enjoyed three goes on the inverted coaster Nemesis Inferno; I was able to switch rows without having to circulate around the exit and entry paths. I can't remember which row I was in for my first go, but my second go was in the front row, and my third go (which happened to be on the last run of the day) was in the third row. It was now time to leave the Park; on my way out I had a few more photos taken of me.

Cumulative summary of rides all day

Ride
Total
Chief Ranger's Carousel
1
Colossus
2
Depth Charge far left slide
1
Depth Charge far right slide
1
Depth Charge second slide from left
1
Depth Charge second slide from right
1
Detonator: Bombs Away
2
Mr Monkey's Banana Ride
1
Nemesis Inferno
3
Rumba Rapids
2
Rush
1
SAW - The Ride
2
Stealth
4
Storm Surge
1
Swarm (backwards)
1
Swarm (forwards)
1
Tidal Wave
1
X
2
TOTAL
28

Returning To Staines
Having finally left Thorpe Park just before 17:30 I walked across to the bus stop and joined the bus queue. I managed to get on the Thorpe Park Express bus which turned up at 17:34, but had to stand. It finally reached Staines Bus Station at 17:56.

Birthday Dinner
The birthday fun continued back in Staines town centre. Around 18:20 I went to Harvester for my celebratory dinner. Once seated I placed my birthday card on the table and took time deciding what I wanted to eat and drink. Eventually I ordered 7 inch gammon steak (which included buttered peas, grilled half tomato, one pineapple ring, one fried egg and a fill-it-myself salad bowl) for main course and one pint of Carling to drink. For dessert I had Raspberry & Coconut Sundae. After all that, I still had time for a cappuccino coffee before leaving.

Journey Home
I left Harvester around 20:15 walked to Staines railway station. Once there I caught the 20:53 train to Reading, whereupon there was time for me to have a small Americano at Upper Crust before catching the 22:12 train to Bath Spa. I finally reached Bath Spa at 23:20 and home about ten minutes later.

Outro

Highlights
Excellent weather, mainly sunny all day and hot for the time of year during the afternoon.
Unexpectedly meeting Planenut from the RCCGB late morning and again late afternoon.
Riding Stealth with Planenut once late morning and once late afternoon.
Riding all six operating coasters again (Colossus, SAW - The Ride, Stealth, Swarm, X, Nemesis Inferno).
Adding all four Depth Charge slides to my ride count.
High overall ride count.
Celebratory birthday dinner at Harvester in Staines town centre in the evening.

Lowlights
Flying Fish out of action, which made it impossible to ride all seven coasters on this visit.
Not having time to ride Vortex or Zodiac.

Summing Up
Altogether a mega fun day out at The Nation's Thrill Capital to mark my 43rd birthday. The weather was dry and mainly sunny all day, and sufficiently hot for just T-shirt and shorts during the afternoon. A summer-like day when it was officially autumn. Ride queues were generally five to ten minutes and in many cases walk-on, hence my high ride count. It was really satisfying to ride all six coasters that were operating (Colossus, SAW - The Ride, Stealth, Swarm, X, Nemesis Inferno) which I first rode on previous trips. It's a pity Flying Fish was out of action all day as, although tame, I would have liked at least one go on it to have ridden all seven coasters. In the case of Swarm, I enjoyed riding it both backwards and forwards again, just like my birthday visit in 2013. Just one point about the seven coasters, they're all steel. Come on Thorpe Park, get some wood! It was also great riding the four Depth Charge slides for the first time ever, and re-riding other non-coaster rides I first rode on previous trips, including Rush, Storm Surge, Tidal Wave and Rumba Rapids. It's a pity I didn't have time to ride Vortex or Zodiac, but never mind. Closing time always seems to come too soon at Thorpe Park. An unexpected added bonus was meeting Planenut from the RCCGB and thus riding Stealth with him late morning and late afternoon. The celebratory evening dinner at Harvester in Staines town centre was the grand finale to this special day.

Many people liked my self-designed birthday T-shirt. Some were puzzled when they first saw the front, until I showed the back. Wearing that throughout the day added to the fun of celebrating my birthday.

A more detailed report is available here

Photos of my birthday outing are available here

No comments:

Post a Comment