Tuesday 6 May 2014

RCCGB Blackpool Bash 2014

Date: Friday 25 April to Sunday 27 April 2014
Venue: Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Who Went: Me and a large number of other RCCGB members, including Andy, Christine and Charlotte Hine, Alan Chilvers, Barry Frost, Carl May, Chris Fletcher, Dan Ould, Dave Maryan, David and Kelsey Bebbington, Death, Doug, Charlie, Emily and Lizzie, Emerald Evans, Emma Erangey, Gareth Arkell, Happy Helen, Ianto Gulliver, Mary and Andy Knight, Norma Lynn, Paul Heaney, Paul, Sarah and Wynne Lewis, Phil and Jackie, Planenut, Ryan Hackett, Sophia Jones, Stuart Pope, The Sheppards.

DISCLAIMER: The above is NOT intended to be an exhaustive list of everyone who attended. It's a small sample of attendees; mainly those who performed billed or Gong Show acts Saturday night, and/or who I spoke to / rode with over the weekend. I sincerely apologise to anyone else who was there and I've not listed. Not all attendees (whether or not listed above) attended the event in its entirety.

Introduction
The Club's annual UK mega-trip to start the new coaster season. Once again the Blackpool Bash was a great success, with two professional entertainers plus Dave Maryan performing Friday night, a day of riding Saturday daytime (including the morning, late afternoon and unexpected early evening ERSs), a spooky themed fancy dress party with songs, games, the Gong Show and a disco Saturday evening, and another ERS Sunday morning. A great turnout too with around 400 members from all over the UK (my list above is just a handful of them). I was determined as ever to attend the Blackpool Bash, and to take part in the Gong Show Saturday evening.

To make the rest of this report easier to read, I've split it into sections. Click the applicable link below to jump to the section you want to read:

Thursday 24 April
Day One - Friday 25 April
Day Two - Saturday 26 April (daytime)
Day Two - Saturday 26 April (evening)
Day Three - Sunday 27 April
Outro

Enjoy my report at your leisure.

Thursday 24 April

Getting To Blackpool
I travelled to Blackpool by train Thursday 24 April. My journey from Bath Spa to Blackpool North, which required four trains, began on the 11:08 train from Bath Spa to Bristol Temple Meads. Having reached Bristol I broke my journey to go into The Galleries Shopping Centre to collect my "I'm Not An Adult I'm A Big Kid!" T-shirt (which I ordered at the start of April) from T-Shirt Print and have a Footlong from Subway in the Galleries Food Court. There was still time for me to enjoy a doughnut and coffee at Krispy Kreme, Cabot Circus before returning to Temple Meads station. Back at Bristol Temple Meads, my journey continued aboard the 13:21 train to Newport (Gwent), followed by the 14:19 train to Manchester Piccadilly (via the Hereford line) and finally the 17:46 train to Blackpool North. Having finally reached Blackpool North at 19:08, I took a short walk, and from a bus stop near Wilkinson caught a bus to Withnell Road bus stop. Having left the bus, I checked into my pre-booked hotel for three nights. It was the same hotel, close to Pleasure Beach Resort, that I stayed at 2008 to 2013 inclusive.

Thursday Evening
Around 20:00 I went to The Auctioneer (Wetherspoons) for an evening meal. When I arrived I unexpectedly met Barry Frost and briefly spoke to him before sitting down and choosing something to eat. Since it was Curry Club night, I decided to have a Curry Club meal. For main course I chose large Chicken Jalfrezi, which included yellow basmati rice, naan, mango chutney, two puppodums, vegetable samosa and onion bhaji for main course. A drink was included, I chose 1 pint of Tuborg. For an additional fee I was able to add any dessert from the main menu, I chose British Bramley apple crumble with custard. Barry left part way through my meal. Around 21:15 I returned to my hotel and relaxed in my room the rest of the evening.

Back to the top

Day One - Friday 25 April

Daytime
Travelling Thursday afternoon gained me a day in Blackpool. For me Friday began with a delicious breakfast: cereal, a full English breakfast and toast. I spent the day at Sandcastle Water Park, and was in the pool / slides area from approximately 10:45 until closing time of 17:00. A separate report about my day there is available here. After leaving Sandcastle Water Park I returned to my hotel to relax for an hour or so.

Early Evening
Around 18:40 I went to Pablo's Fish and Chips for a Pablo's Special, i.e. fish, chips, mushy peas, bread and butter, plus fizzy drink. Fish and chips are a must-have in Blackpool. I met Planenut there, so I sat at the same table as him. We had plenty to talk about together. When I finished my fish and chips, I had a strawberry Sundae Special for dessert. Having left Pablo's around 19:30 I was hoping to go into Lucky Star Amusements and ascend their escalator, but couldn't as Lucky Star Amusements was closed. Without further ado I headed straight for the Paradise Room.

Friday Fun
The Blackpool Bash officially began when the Paradise Room doors opened. Around 19:40 I entered the Paradise Room via the spiral stairs at Noah's Ark end. Food was available to buy, but I didn't buy any as I'd just eaten. Having bought myself half a Kingstone Press Cider, I sat at a table opposite the front of the stage; my seat was with my back to the stage, so I turned the chair to face the stage.

Andy's Welcome
The fun really began when Andy Hine appeared around 20:15 and said his annual catchphrase. "Everybody say Blackpool". This was followed by three acts.

Act 1: Mark James
The first official act was Mark James with his comedy and conjuring. From 20:30 to 21:05 he told jokes and performed magic tricks. In one of his magic tricks he emptied a salt cellar into his hand, and then let the salt flow from his hand to the floor. Amazingly there seemed to be more salt falling from his hand than was in the salt cellar to start with. Another magic trick involved him placing sheets of toilet paper in his mouth, after which he pulled it out again as a seemingly never ending long string.

Act 2: Dave Maryan
RCCGB member Dave Maryan, who won the Gong Show 2012, sang a few songs next. These were Miss Jones, Mack The Knife, The Way You Look Tonight, My Way. There was also a song containing the line "missed the boat" but I've not been able to identify it. Dave finished singing at 21:27. This was, in my opinion, the best act of Friday night.

Interval
It was now time for the 15 minute interval. During this time I bought myself half a Fosters. I also met Happy Helen and Sophia Jones, they liked my T-shirt.

Act 3: Johnny Casson
After the interval ended, the final act of the night was Johnny Casson. Starting at 21:43, he amused the audience with a variety of jokes for almost 40 minutes.

Drinking Up Time
When Johnny Casson finally finished performing at 22:22, Nev announced that Friday Fun was over. There was still time to finish our drinks, but we had to be out by 23:00. I spoke to, and had my picture taken with a few other members before heading back to my hotel for the night.

Altogether a good evening of entertainment to start the Blackpool Bash, though in my opinion, Dave Maryan's selection of songs was by far the best act of the night. It was also great speaking to other members of the Club face to face at various times of the evening. Many members liked my self-designed "I'm Not An Adult I'm A Big Kid!" T-shirt, which I wore for the first time Friday, having only just collected it the previous day.

Back to the top

Day Two - Saturday 26 April (daytime)

First Thing
Having awoke at 7:00 I put on my RCCGB 25th anniversary T-shirt. I asked for an early breakfast at 8:15 so that I could be at the Paradise Room at 9:00 or soon after. I chose beans on toast as a lighter alternative to a full English (which I felt would be too risky before riding Big One, Steeplechase and the rest).

Initial Meet-Up
Members were asked to meet in the Paradise Room at 8:45, however it was nearer to 9:00 when I entered via the spiral stairs at Noah's Ark end of the building. To save having to return to my hotel early evening, I took everything I needed for the evening (camcorder and tripod, Halloween cape, football, etc.) and placed them in a dressing room back stage. Once inside I met and spoke to Doug, Charlie, Emily and Lizzie for a few minutes. Eventually I queued to be issued with my ride wristband and Park Pass. However there was no meal or drink voucher for lunch handed out at this stage.

Morning ERS
Once the signal was given, members entered the Pleasure Beach and headed to the far end for the morning ERS on Big One, Steeplechase and Blue Flyer. Three coasters, beat that for one ERS. Blue Flyer was included this time to allow young members to take part in the ERS, however plenty of adult members (with or without children) rode Blue Flyer.

Big One
This Arrow Dynamics Hyper Coaster has been operating at Blackpool Pleasure Beach since 28 May 1994. From 1994 to 2011 it was called Pepsi Max Big One, but since 2012 it has been known simply as Big One. Nonetheless the giant Pepsi Max can tunnel that the train goes through just after leaving the station is still there. Big One is one of five coasters of this model currently operating worldwide. Back in 1994 Big One was the tallest, fastest, steepest coaster in Europe, but sadly that's no longer the case. Although its maximum height of 213' (64.9 m) means it's still the UK's tallest coaster, it's now only the third tallest coaster operating in Europe. According to the Roller Coaster Database, Big One's top speed of 74 mph means it's now only the second fastest coaster in the UK, and sixth fastest currently operating coaster in Europe. It's certainly not the steepest any more, now there's Stealth, Rage and Mumbo Jumbo. The station announcement has now been amended to say "one of the tallest, fastest, steepest coasters in Europe".

I began the day on the Big One. The train exited the station, went through the Pepsi can tunnel, up the lift hill, down the steep first drop, over the subsequent undulations and back to the station. Altogether a mega fun ride on what is one of my favourite steel coasters; I remained quiet (no screaming) throughout the journey. For now I only had one go on this coaster. I was hoping to return to it for more goes later in the ERS, but sadly this ended up being my only go of the entire ERS. Thankfully it wasn't my only go all day.

Steeplechase
This Arrow Dynamics Special Coaster Systems steel coaster has been operating at Blackpool Pleasure Beach since 1977. There are three separate tracks, completely independent of each other, which is why Steeplechase is sometimes regarded as three separate coasters. Coaster-Count classes it as three coasters, whereas Ride Count classes the three tracks as one coaster. Each track has individual horses as ride cars, and each horse can seat two riders. All three lanes were running, so I was determined to re-ride all three tracks. However it is possible to have just one or two tracks running. Although tame compared to Big One, I love its racing element, hoping to be first home. As the ERS progressed, I had time for three goes as follows

First go:I rode a horse on the red track. Along the way I sang "Giddy up giddy up brave prince" and called out "Giddy up, people have bet their money on you".

Second go: I rode a horse on the green track. RCCGB member Luke was riding a horse on the red track. Despite me singing "Giddy up giddy up brave prince" and calling out "Giddy up, people have bet their money on you", Luke's horse beat me to the finish.

Third go: The ride attendant asked if I wanted another go, so I remained in my seat for another ride on the green track. Luke also remained on his horse on the red track. Once again I sang "Giddy up giddy up brave prince" and called out "Giddy up, people have bet their money on you". This time Luke's horse stopped just short of the station, but I managed to get past the winning post and stop well into the station. Being as I finished before the person on the yellow track, I saw myself as the winner this time.

Annoyingly Steeplechase was now out of action, and I'd only ridden the red and green tracks. I would have liked to have ridden the yellow track, so I could now only hope I'd ride it sometime later in the day. Big One was also out of action at this point. Without further ado I headed for Nickelodeon Land, hoping to get one or more goes on Blue Flyer in what remained of the ERS. As I entered Nickelodeon Land I met Boots the Monkey, and had my photo taken with him.

Blue Flyer
This wooden coaster (built by Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters, Inc.) originally operated as Zipper Dipper from 1934 to 2010. At the start of 2011 it was repainted blue and re-themed as Blue Flyer, part of Nickelodeon Land. Although the resort's smallest wooden coaster, it was great fun. During what remained of the ERS I enjoyed one go on this little woodie: I sat the row immediately behind Doug. There were pops of AIRtime on the dips. Altogether a fun ride, this was my first go of the day on a wooden coaster.

Morning Free Time
After the morning ERS ended, members spread themselves around the Pleasure Beach and took over the rides.

Blue Flyer
Although the ERS was now over, I had one more go on Blue Flyer before going on anything else.

Nickelodeon Streak
Determined to ride all five woodies at Pleasure Beach in one day, I headed for Nickelodeon Streak next. This classic woodie was built by Charles Paige and was originally called Roller Coaster from 1933 to 2010. Early 2011 it was repainted orange and re-themed Nickelodeon Streak, part of the Nickelodeon Land section. With a maximum height of 61' (18.6 m) Nickelodeon Streak is surprisingly taller than Big Dipper (60' or 18.3 m). I enjoyed two goes, both of which were in the back row. The waiting time was surprisingly short for both goes.

Big Dipper
My third wooden coaster of the morning, I certainly did well with wooden coaster riding Saturday morning. This sit down wooden coaster was built by Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters, Inc. and has been operating since 1923. I sat in the second row. The train set off around the bend, through the tunnel, around another bend, up the lift hill, around another bend, down the first drop and over all the subsequent undulations out and back to the station. Altogether an exciting ride, with plenty of AIRtime. For now I only had one go on Big Dipper, which ended up being my only go on this all day.

Infusion
This Vekoma SLC (689m Standard) inverted steel coaster originally operated as Traumatizer at Pleasureland Southport from 1999 to 5 Sep 2006. Since 2 May 2007 it has been operating as Infusion at Pleasure Beach Resort Blackpool. Its 689 metre (2260' 6" ) track length explains its model name. The train climbed the lift hill to a maximum height of 109' 3" (33.3 m), descended the first drop and went around a vertical loop followed by many more thrilling features. Surprisingly I didn't have long to wait to go on this, I sat in the second row from the back (right seat). Having left the train, the queue was still really short, so I enjoyed another go, this time in the right seat of the fourth row.

River Caves
At this point I put on my all-in-one splashsuit to stay dry on River Caves. The queue for this boat ride was very short, so I faced just a few minutes wait. When it was my turn, I got into the back row of boat 10. Other riders were in the rows in front of me. The boat sailed through a series of chambers, each with a different scene. One chamber featured dinosaurs, another chamber featured stalagmites and stalactites. Towards the end, my boat went uphill, along the outdoor section (which you can see from the path) and down a drop, to create a splash. This was my only go on here all day, and last ride before lunch.

Whilst passing the fountains a professional photographer took two pictures of me, still wearing my splashsuit, in the fountains. In one of the photos he asked me to jump as high as I could. Afterwards I looked at them, but as much as I liked them, didn't buy either of them.

Lunch At Paradise Room
At 12:45 I went to the Paradise Room for lunch. I entered the Paradise Room via the spiral stairs at Noah's Ark end. As I was about to pass through the doors at the top of the stairs everyone was given a drink voucher. However no-one needed a meal voucher. Once inside I headed straight for the bar and used my drink voucher to get a glass of Pepsi Cola. There was quite a long queue for food, but I decided to join it anyway; I happened to be behind Happy Helen and Sophia Jones, and spoke to them whilst queuing. In addition I took off my splashsuit whilst queuing. It wasn't too long before I reached the serving table. Once there I had chicken, fries, bread roll and butter. A vegetarian alternative to chicken was available. Having been served I helped myself to coleslaw and side salad (lettuce, onion, tomato, coleslaw) before sitting down to enjoy my meal.

During lunch there were speeches from Andy Hine and David Cam. Club merchandise was available, but although I had a quick browse, I didn't buy anything. In addition I spoke to Coleen for a few minutes, and Michael Edwards performed a card trick before my eyes.

Afternoon Free Time
Around 14:00 I returned to the Pleasure Beach, eager to continue riding. Emerald Evans and I agreed to ride Valhalla together, so I put my splashsuit on before joining the queue for Valhalla.

Valhalla
Emerald and I joined the queue for this water ride, meanwhile Happy Helen looked after my rucksack nearby as I didn't want to take it on the ride. The waiting time for this water ride was quite short. When Emerald and I got on the boat the ride experience was out of this world, including rises and falls, areas of darkness and lighting effects. Was the water poured from above meant to mimic heavy rain, or give riders a bath? At one sharp bend, the boat went onto a turntable, which rotated by an acute angle and the boat subsequently went backwards for a bit. Further along there was another similar sharp bend with a turntable that set the boat going forwards again. An amazing ride, but once was enough on this. Having left the ride, Emerald and I had our picture taken together nearby. Afterwards I took off my splashsuit.

Flying Machines
Emerald and I rode Flying Machines next; we sat together in the third row of plane GT8. Happy Helen and Sophia were in the back row immediately behind us. The planes start going anticlockwise close to the platform, and are gradually angled further outwards. At the maximum extent you are sitting at a fairly steep angle. Eventually the planes head back inwards, until you're back with the platform. This was my only go on Flying Machines all day.

Wallace & Gromit Thrill-O-Matic
A new ride which opened in 2013, soon after the RCCGB Blackpool Bash 2013. Being as I spent so much time finding the official (main) Gromit sculptures and mini Gromit sculptures around Bristol and beyond last summer, I was determined to ride this. I sat with Emerald on this ride. The ride car went around a circuit through several rooms, along the way I saw Shaun the sheep and Feathers the penguin, as well as Wallace & Gromit. This was my only go on this ride all day.

Dora's World Voyage
A boat ride introduced as part of Nickelodeon Land in 2011. I got into a boat which sailed around the canal start to finish through different zones: France, Russia, Tanzania and China. A song was played on the boat, repeatedly mentioning "Hello" in the applicable language, e.g. Bonjour in France. Obviously the words changed at the zone transitions. My one go now was my only ride on here all day.

SpongeBob's Splash Bash
Sets of circular boats on small turntables. The small turntables spin on a larger turntable which also spins. The effect is a bit like riding a twister or waltzer ride but not as fast. At the start of the ride the turntables sink so the area is flooded. Each boat has water cannons, so whilst the ride is in motion you can squirt riders on other boats, and on-lookers outside the ride. Be warned though, riders on other boats may squirt you back. There are also water cannons outside the ride, which allow on-lookers to squirt riders. Another fun ride, but be warned, you will probably get a bit wet on this ride. My one go now was my only go on this all day.

Avalanche
This Mack Rides Bobsled coaster has been operating at Blackpool Pleasure Beach since 22 June 1988, the same year as the RCCGB started. According to the RCDB, it is one of five coasters of this model currently operating worldwide. Avalanche has a track length of 1490' (454.2 m) and no inversions. I remained quiet and totally relaxed for the entire journey. As far as I'm concerned, it's not scary at all; more a gentle rest ride. My one go now was my only go on here all day.

Grand National ERS
It was now time for our ERS on the Resort's classic twin track Möbius racing wooden coaster Grand National. This was built by Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters, Inc. and has been operating since 1935. According to the RCDB, its maximum height of 62' (18.9 m) makes it the tallest of the five wooden coasters at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, but only the third tallest currently operating wooden coaster in the UK. Due to the way the coaster is designed, on one go you depart from one platform and return to the station on the opposite platform. The platform you depart from at the start of your ride dictates which lift hill (left or right facing upwards) your train ascends. Doing a complete circuit of the track back to where you get on would require two consecutive goes without getting off in between. Consequently you could class this coaster as two coasters. Coaster-Count classes it as two coasters; whereas Ride Count classes the whole thing as one coaster.

The Grand National ERS was billed to run from 16:00 to 17:00. When I got there soon after 16:00 the ERS was already under way. I had to show my trip badge to gain access to this coaster. During the ERS I had time for three goes.

First go (left lift hill): I sat in the blue train which climbed the left lift hill. Opponent red train on the right lift hill. Along the way I sang "Giddy up giddy up brave prince" and shouted "Giddy up, we want our train to win". Despite that, the red train won and the blue train which I was on lost, worse luck!

Second go (right lift hill):I sat in the maroon train which ascended the right lift hill. Opponent green train on the left lift hill. Again I sang "Giddy up giddy up brave prince" and shouted "Giddy up, people have got their money bet on this train". Result the maroon train (my train) won, whereas the green train lost. Wonderful!

Third go (left lift hill): I sat in the blue train which went up the left lift hill. Opponent red train on the right lift hill. Yet again I sang "Giddy up giddy up brave prince" and shouted "Giddy up, we want our train to win". Just like my first go, the red train won and the blue train which I was on lost, typical! My impression was that if you had the blue train going up the left lift hill against the red train on the right lift hill, the red train was always going to win.

Altogether another fun ERS. Although I was disappointed that the opposing train beat my train on two of my goes, at least my train won on one of my three goes.

Early Evening Free Time
After the ERS ended at 17:00, members returned to their hotels to relax and prepare for the evening, or rode until ride closing time of 18:00. During that one remaining hour that the rides were open to the public, I managed to ride the following.

Wild Mouse
So far I'd ridden four of the five wooden roller coasters at least once each: Blue Flyer, Nickelodeon Streak, Big Dipper, Grand National (both lift hills). That just left one more wooden coaster for me to ride, the Wild Mouse. Due to its close proximity to Grand National, it made sense to ride that next, and thankfully the waiting time was fairly short. According to the Roller Coaster Database, this wooden mouse coaster was built in-house by Frank Wright, and has been operating since 1958. When it was my turn I got into car number 2 (Mousey). The car climbed the lift hill, and worked its way downwards through several sharp hairpin bends along the way. This made for quite a rough ride. I noticed AIRtime on the dips near the end. This was my only go on Wild Mouse all day, but once was enough to give me the satisfaction of having ridden all five wooden coasters at Blackpool Pleasure Beach in one day.

Grand Prix
A car ride, whereby the cars run on what resembles a giant Scalextric track. I sat in car number 11, and was taken down the spiral (like in a multi-storey car park), towards Big One and back, then up the spiral back to the station. Depending on your take of things, you could perhaps class it as a coaster, considering it has ride cars which run on a track, that spirals down and uphill. What do you think? Coaster or not coaster? Although quite a tame ride really, it was worth one go to say I'd been on it this trip.

I wanted to ride Revolution next if I could, and the easiest way there was via Nickelodeon Land. Whilst passing through Nickelodeon Land, I pictures of me taken with some of the characters.

Revolution
So far I still hadn't ridden Revolution, and I was determined to ride it before closing time. This Arrow Dynamics Launched Loop sit down steel coaster has been operating at Blackpool Pleasure Beach since 1979. It was originally called Revolution from 1979 to sometime in the 1990s. From then until 2011 it was called Irn-Bru Revolution. Early 2012 the orange structure was repainted grey and the ride reverted to its original name Revolution. The train set off, went downhill, around the vertical loop, uphill and along a flat section where it suddenly ground to an abrupt halt. After a brief pause, the train went backwards through the loop until it was back at the station. Wow, a fast and thrilling ride, but I'm not sure whether going forwards or backwards was better. As much as I enjoyed this very much, I limited myself to just one go, because from the stairs I noticed Steeplechase was running again and I wanted to have one more go on it before closing time.

Steeplechase
It was now getting close to ride closing time, but I managed to get past the entrance and queue for Steeplechase. Unfortunately only the red and green lanes were now running. The yellow lane, which I really wanted to ride (having missed it during the morning ERS) was now chained off. Never mind, I queued for the green lane. When I finally set off I sang "Giddy up giddy up brave prince" and called out "Giddy up, people have bet their money on you". My horse won, and the rider on the red track entered the station after me.

Bonus Big One ERS
Due to the problems with Big One during the morning ERS, a bonus evening ERS on Big One was arranged to run from 18:00 to 19:00. I began by having two goes. Having had a few off-ride photos of me taken nearby, I enjoyed two more goes on Big One. With the time now after 18:50, I really wanted to leave the Park and go to the Paradise Room to prepare for the evening, but the staff said we would all have to wait in the vicinity of Big One and leave as a group. Since Big One was still running I had one more go, which ended up being my final ride of the day. By now the ride attendants were gradually bagging up seats from the back towards the front between train runs. Altogether another amazing unexpected ERS, it was great to begin and end the day on the Big One.

Summary of my day in order of activity

Morning ERS: Big One 1, Steeplechase 3 (red track 1, green track 2), Blue Flyer 1

Blue Flyer 1
Nickelodeon Streak 2
Big Dipper 1
Infusion 2
River Caves 1

Lunch in the Paradise Room

Valhalla 1
Flying Machines 1
Wallace & Gromit Thrill-O-Matic 1
Dora's World Voyage 1
SpongeBob's Splash Bash 1
Avalanche 1

Afternoon ERS: Grand National 3 (left lift hill, right lift hill, left lift hill)

Wild Mouse 1
Grand Prix 1
Revolution 1
Steeplechase 1 (green track 1)

Bonus Evening ERS: Big One 5

Cumulative Summary of My Rides (ERSs and Free Time Combined)

Ride
Total
Avalanche
1
Big Dipper
1
Big One
6
Blue Flyer
2
Dora's World Voyage
1
Flying Machines
1
Grand National
3
Grand Prix
1
Infusion
2
Nickelodeon Streak
2
Revolution
1
River Caves
1
SpongeBob's Splash Bash
1
Steeplechase
4
Valhalla
1
Wallace & Gromit Thrill-O-Matic
1
Wild Mouse
1
TOTAL
30

Altogether a great day's riding, once again I managed to ride all five wooden coasters in one day. It's a pity I only had one go on Big One in the morning ERS, but thankfully made up for that with five goes in the unexpected evening Big One ERS. Also it's a pity ride Ice Blast yet again. That left me determined to ride it Sunday.

Back to the top

Day Two - Saturday 26 April (evening)

Coaster Crazy Show
After the bonus ERS ended, I finally left the Pleasure Beach at 19:15. Without further ado I went straight to the Paradise Room to prepare for the evening. Having climbed the spiral stairs at Noah's Ark end, I was able to enter the Paradise Room straightaway as the doors at the top of the stairs were open. There was no time for me to have a rehearsal, but I felt I didn't need one. However I put on my outfit for the evening, chose my seat and set up my camcorder and tripod. I also bought myself a drink, and something to eat.

Around 19:45 the doors opened to members not taking part. This year's theme was Spooky, and many dressed in something spooky or horror themed. I wore a navy T-shirt with "Kapow!" on it (which I originally bought July 2013 to wear ordinarily as a T-shirt and had already worn a few times last summer), a pair of black sports shorts (which I normally wear for circuit training at Bath Sports Centre) and a black Halloween cape. I also still had the red stained white gloves and red mask from the Lordi act last year (although I didn't wear the mask much during the evening). Therefore the only thing I bought purposely for the 2014 Coaster Crazy Show was the Halloween cape early November 2013.

Show Opener: Alan Chilvers, Paul Heaney, Emma Erangey
At 20:20 the show began with "Music of the Night". This was followed by something much livelier, a bit of Monster Mash. Finally Alan Chilvers, Paul Heaney, Emma Erangey and several others danced to Thriller. An excellent opening to a spooky themed evening.

Welcome: Andy Hine
When the above act ended, Nev appeared to give his opening speech, including some jokes.

Act 1: The Sheppards - "Grim Grinning Ghosts"
The Sheppards appeared from behind the curtains, All four were perched above columns to create a ghostly look as they sang "Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize". Blue lighting beamed towards them completed the spooky look. Throughout the song they stayed in one position. At the end the lighting was increased as Nev announced who they were.

Shocking
Nev called Ryan Hackett on stage to hypnotise him. Nev told Ryan that whenever he said wood or Rattler, Ryan would feel an electric shock. Towards the end Nev told Ryan that when he wakes, he will no longer ride wooden coasters, and his favourite ride will be the monorail.

Act 2: The Coaster Kids - "Coaster Busters"
Four girls who have been in the Gong Show the last couple of years, and who performed a billed act for the first time last year. This year they were back to perform a billed act: their own rewritten version of "Ghostbusters", accompanied by a fifth member who was younger. The Coaster Kids' version was called "Coaster Busters". As well as the change to the title, a few other lyrics were replaced with coaster related words, e.g. "I ain't afraid of no rides".

Game 1: Kids' Gopher
It was now time for the first of tonight's games, this one solely for children under 14. Ten children entered at the start. When called, they ran into the audience to fetch an item specified by Nev, e.g. hotel key, camera. The time it took all the children to find the required item varied considerably. Each time they returned there was one less chair, forcing the child unable to find a seat out, just like musical chairs.

Here is the complete list of items the children were asked to get:
Club or coaster T-shirt
Club programme
Belt
Hotel key
Any coaster club membership card
Anything spooky not on you
Camera (not mobile phone)
New style club lanyard
Final: any item of underwear (this was disqualified as the person it belonged to took it from a bag)
Replacement final item: Blackpool Bash first timer

Act 3: CJ (Ella & Molly) - "Jai Ho"
Two girls who were one of the two winning acts in last year's Gong Show. This time Ella & Molly were back to perform a billed act, in which they danced to "Jai Ho".

During CJ's act I went back stage to prepare for the Gong Show. I took off my Halloween cape and "Kapow!" T-shirt and put on my Bath Half Family Fun Run 2014 T-shirt as I felt that would be more appropriate attire for my act. However I kept the same pair of black sports shorts on.

The Gong Show
It was now time for the famous Gong Show, which consisted of eight acts.

Gong Act 1: Dan Ould HORN WENT
First to perform was Dan Ould. From the moment Nev announced his name, the audience started booing. Luckily Dan had the chance to get on stage and juggle balls, but it wasn't long before the horn went.

Gong Act 2: Stuart Pope HORN WENT
Next, Stuart Pope appeared on stage dressed as a milkman; he even had a crate containing a bottle of milk. He sang a song, which attracted clapping and booing. After singing for quite some time, the horn eventually went.

Gong Act 3: Ryan Hackett HORN WENT
Third to perform was Ryan Hackett singing a parodised version of "Don't Worry Be Happy". Ryan showed a series of flashcards to the audience. Eventually the horn went. For some reason Nev let Ryan perform a bit more, but the horn soon went again and this time Ryan left the stage.

Gong Act 4: Alice & Harry
Now for two children dressed in skeleton outfits. They danced to "My Heart Skips A Beat" (Ollly Murs), and despite some booing, they made it to the end without the horn going.

Gong Act 5: Death HORN WENT
An unexpected act put in at the last minute, but as soon as Nev announced his name the horn went before he even had the chance to start!

Gong Act 6: Barry Frost HORN WENT
Next, Barry Frost appeared on stage to give a spoken monologue. He quickly attracted a lot of booing and it wasn't much longer before the horn went.

Gong Act 7: Ellis Williams HORN WENT
The penultimate act of the Gong Show, Ellis Williams entered the stage to do a dance. At the start he stood still and looked nervous. Anyway he attracted loud cheering. As the song in the background went on, Ellis stood on the spot rotating left and right, and moving his arms. Whether or not one can call that dancing is up to you to decide. Eventually the audience started booing him, and shortly afterwards the horn went. This is the first time I've ever known Nev blow the horn when a child is performing in the Gong Show.

Gong Act 8: Nemesis Nick
Now it was my turn to perform in the Gong Show; I entered the stage wearing my Bath Half Family Fun Run 2014 T-shirt and carrying a blue football. At the start I announced my plan to do a series of exercises that I do during circuit training sessions at Bath Sports Centre. At this point I began my series of exercises, although my chosen music track, "The Power" by Snap began part way through the second exercise. The sequence of exercises was star jumps, wood chopper, press ups, Greek get-ups, squats, burpees, round the world plank, squat thrusts, lunges, tuck jumps, forward plank. At this point Nev announced that I'd reached the end of the routine without the horn going.

Vote for Best Act
Top two: Alice & Harry, Nemesis Nick
Winner: Nemesis Nick

Vote for Worst Act
Bottom two: Death, Nemesis Nick
Ultimate worst: Nemesis Nick

After this freak result, Nev announced "Nick, you have the strange accolade of being the best, and worst act of the night". Once the Gong Show was over, I put my "Kapow!" T-shirt and Halloween cape back on for the rest of the evening.

Act 4: Liberty Williams – "Put A Spell On You"
Back to the billed acts next. Libby Williams entered the stage, dressed as a witch, to sing the spooky song "Put A Spell On You". When she finished her act she attracted much cheering and applause.

Game 2: Bang!
The second game of the night, for three adult couples. The aim was to win a weekend for two at the Big Blue Hotel. The couples were Jan and Shaun, Taylor and Jean, Sarah and Paul. When told, those in the audience had to open the envelope on their table and inflate the enclosed balloons as quickly as possible. On stage the three couples had to burst as many balloons as possible in one minute. Firstly the ladies each had to collect a balloon, take it back and burst it by hugging their partner. Afterwards it was the three men's to collect a balloon and take it back to their partner. Thereafter the ladies and gents alternately collected and burst balloons until the minute was up. The winning couple, Dan and Shaun went on to try and win a prize. Out of three choices, they chose track C. When the prizes were read out on the sound system, Dan and Shaun had to shout stop on the one they wanted. After several prizes were read out, Dan and Shaun shouted stop when they heard "Hotel Break", and thus they won a weekend for two at the Big Blue Hotel.

Act 5: Carl May – "Fire"
Now for the other Gong Show 2013 winner, Carl May was back this year to sing "Fire" as a billed act. Naturally his performance was enhanced by a smoke machine and red lighting.

Thank you message: Andy Hine
At this point Nev reappeared to give a closing speech. He welcomed back all those who had taken part during the evening. One slight variation on previous years was that the stage went down to form a dance floor before the finale.

Act 6: Finale - "Time Warp"
The grand finale to the evening was Damian's version of "Time Warp". Those who performed billed or Gong Show acts were asked to bring members of the audience of the dance floor to dance "Time Warp" together.

After Show Party
Once Time Warp finished, there was a seamless transition into the after-show disco. One hour of non-stop hits, starting with the usual "Get The Party Started", followed by the spooky songs "Ghostbusters" and "Thriller". The usual songs "YMCA" (Village People), "Glad All Over", Can-Can, "The Locomotion" etc. were also included. Towards the end the following five songs were played in full:

Gangnam Style
Dancing Lasha Tumbai (Ryan and co appeared on stage just in front of the curtains doing the actions)
Amarillo
Always Look On The Bright Side of Life
New York

Finally the Warner Brothers cartoon "That's all folks" marked the end of the disco.

When the disco ended, all those who had dressed up assembled in front of the curtains for the group photo. After that members were asked to pack up and leave as quickly as possible. I collected my belongings from my dressing room, along with my other items at the table where I sat much of the show. Around 23:30 I finally left the Paradise Room via the spiral stairs with Happy Helen and Sophia Jones, and was back at my hotel a few minutes later.

Summary of Evening

Show Opener: Alan Chilvers, Paul Heaney, Emma Erangey and others - "Music of the Night", "Monster Mash", "Thriller"
Welcome: Andy Hine
Act 1: The Sheppards - "Grim Grinning Ghosts"
Shocking - Nev and Ryan Hackett
Act 2: The Coaster Kids - "Coaster Busters"
Game 1: Kids' Gopher
Act 3: CJ (Ella & Molly) - "Jai Ho"

The Gong Show
1: Dan Ould - juggling horn went
2: Stuart Pope - singing horn went
3: Ryan Hackett - singing horn went
4: Alice & Harry - dancing to "My Heart Skips A Beat"
5: Death - did not have chance to start horn went
6: Barry Frost - spoken monologue horn went
7: Ellis Williams - dancing horn went
8: Nemesis Nick - circuit training exercises

Top two: Alice & Harry, Nemesis Nick; outright winner: Nemesis Nick
Bottom two: Death, Nemesis Nick; Ultimate worst: Nemesis Nick

Act 4: Liberty Williams – "Put A Spell On You"
Game 2: Bang!
Act 5: Carl May – "Fire"
Thank you message: Andy Hine
Act 6: Finale - "Time Warp"

After Show Party (Disco)

Group photo

Altogether an excellent evening of entertainment; although performed by RCCGB members I think it was better than Friday night's entertainment. For me it was great to perform a series of circuit training exercises in the Gong Show, but being voted the best and worst act left me confused to say the least! The after show disco provided a lively end to the evening.

Back to the top

Day Three - Sunday 27 April

First Thing
After an action packed Saturday I awoke at 7:00, put on my RCCGB 20th anniversary T-shirt, packed and felt thirsty for more. Although I asked for breakfast at the official time of 9:00, I turned up a few minutes early. Once again, I could have had a full English breakfast, but chose beans on toast as a lighter alternative.

Initial Meet-Up
Having left my hotel just after 9:30 I walked to the Pleasure Beach as quickly as possible. A few minutes later I got to the Casino Tower. Everyone was waiting inside the tower on the ground floor this time. This was my first time ever of having a Sunday wristband and I wasn't sure where to exchange my voucher for a wristband. It didn't take me long to spot that I had to go to the main desk, where I was issued my wristband and gate pass. When it was almost time to enter the Park, Nev told us the ERS would be on three coasters: Big Dipper and Wild Mouse, plus the surprise coaster Avalanche.

Morning ERS
At 10:00 the Club entered through the gates and headed in the direction of Big Dipper for the morning ERS.

Big Dipper
I began the ERS by riding Big Dipper; I had four goes, each of which gave plenty of AIRtime. Of those, my third go was in seat 2/8, that seat was a bit rough for my liking. Thankfully my other three goes, which were in other rows on the train, were considerably less rough.

Avalanche
At this point I went across the Park to Avalanche, and had time to enjoy one go on this Bobsled coaster. Having left the ride, the entrance doors were closed.

Wild Mouse
I hurried to the Wild Mouse, and got there just in time for the last go of the ERS. As expected this was quite a rough ride, with AIRtime on the drops.

Summary of my rides this ERS: Big Dipper 4, Avalanche 1, Wild Mouse 1. Who beat me on that?

After ERS
The 2014 Blackpool Bash was to all intents and purposes over when the ERS finished at 11:30. No further events (e.g. lunch, later ERS) were scheduled for Sunday. Members with Sunday wristbands stayed and continued riding. Those without Sunday wristbands left and went straight home (perhaps stopping at another park en route) or visited other Blackpool attractions. Being as I had a Sunday wristband for the first time ever, I continued riding until closing time of 17:00. During the rest of the day I enjoyed plenty more rides, however I didn't re-ride Big Dipper, Avalanche or Wild Mouse the rest of the day.

Ghost Train
My first ride after the ERS was the Ghost Train. Despite attending every Blackpool Bash since 2008, this is one of my least used rides at Blackpool Pleasure Beach; my only previous goes on this were once during the Blackpool Bash 2008 and once during the Blackpool Bash 2011. This ghost train has up and down hill sections, so can this be classed as a coaster? I sat in car 2. My one go on this now was my only go all day.

Alice Ride
Another ride I've hardly ridden at Blackpool Pleasure Beach is the Alice Ride, so I was determined to ride it now having previously had just one go on it during the Saturday of the 2008 Blackpool Bash. This fantasy ride transports riders through an Alice In Wonderland / Through The Looking Glass themed building, featuring characters from the story. As I neared the front of the queue I met Phil and Jackie from the RCCGB so we shared a ride car, they sat in the front row and I sat in the back row. Interestingly the ride cars run on a track, which has mild undulations, so can one class this as a coaster? I only had one go on this now, which turned out to be my only go all day.

Afterwards I had my photo taken on the seat with the two Alice in Wonderland characters, and nearby had my photo taken with Phil and Jackie

Derby Racer
I decided to ride Derby Racer next as this located close to Alice Ride. Derby Racer can best be described as a giant version of galloping horses. This was my first go on this since the Saturday of the 2011 Blackpool Bash, as I didn't ride it in 2012 or 2013. Not a particularly thrilling ride, but it was worth one go now to say I'd been on it for the first time since 2011.

Ice Blast
Another ride I've hardly ridden at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, I've previously ridden it twice on the Saturday of the 2008 Blackpool Bash and once on the 2010 Blackpool Bash. For various reasons I didn't get round to riding it during the Blackpool Bashes of 2011, 2012 and 2013. This is a shame as this S&S Worldwide Space Shot ride, is one of the best thrill rides in the Pleasure Beach. Having missed it yet again on Saturday this year, I was determined to ride it Sunday. Its seat unit wraps around its 210 feet (64 metres) tall tower. I had to wait a bit to get on this but it was well worth the wait. Once seated and harnessed in, a blast of air sent the seat unit to the top of the tower. After a short delay, the seat unit dropped to the ground again, its descent somehow slowed as it neared the ground. Wow, an amazing ride experience! Even so, this one go now was my only go on here all day, but at least one go was better than none in order to break the drought of not having ridden it since April 2010.

Grand National
Now for the Grand National, and I was determined to ride both lift hills once each. Unlike during the RCCGB ERS Saturday afternoon, when four trains were running, there were only two trains running today, those being the maroon and green trains. Even so, the waiting time was considerably shorter than during the Saturday afternoon ERS. As it happened, I ended up having three goes. Unlike during the Saturday afternoon ERS, I sat quietly during the ERS and didn't sing or shout "Giddy up" on the ride.

First go (left lift hill): I sat in the maroon train which went up the left lift hill. Opponent green train on the right lift hill.

Second go (right lift hill): I sat in the maroon train which ascended the right lift hill. Opponent green train on the left lift hill. The maroon train (my train) won, whereas the green train lost.

Third go (right lift hill): I sat in the maroon train which climbed the right lift hill. Opponent green train on the left lift hill. This time I spotted Happy Helen and Sophia Jones on the green train. The maroon train (my train) won, whereas the green train lost. After this go Helen, Sophia and I exited Grand National together.

Derby Racer
At this point Sophia and Helen didn't have much time left in the Pleasure Beach as they had to leave soon to begin their coach journey home. They wanted one more ride, with a short queue, before leaving, and I wanted to ride with them if possible. Derby Racer happened to be walk-on at the time, so we all agreed to ride this together. I sat on the horse nearest the centre. Working outwards, Sophia and Helen sat on the two neighbouring horses. Although not a particularly thrilling ride, it was great for Helen, Sophia and me to ride together before they had to leave.

After leaving Derby Racer, I briefly spoke to Helen and Sophia before they left. Shortly afterwards I met Planenut by Grand National, he was about to leave to catch the RCCGB Bash Bus home. I had my photo taken with him before he left.

Mid-Afternoon Snack
The time was now 14:15 and I felt like something to eat. From a kiosk nearby I bought myself a hot dog. Following my mid-afternoon snack I went into Nickelodeon Land.

SpongeBob's Splash Bash
I put on my all-in-one splashsuit to ride SpongeBob's Splash Bash. Just like when I rode this on Saturday, other riders squirted me with water, but since my splashsuit covered my arms, body and legs it didn't matter where I got squirted. A fun ride, but I limited myself to just one go.

Dora's World Voyage
Next I had one go on Dora's World Voyage. Just like when I rode it Saturday afternoon, the boat sailed around the canal through differently themed zones: France, Russia, Tanzania and China.

Rugrats Lost River
Formerly known as Beaver Creek Log Flume, this log flume was re-themed and renamed Rugrats Lost River for inclusion in Nickelodeon Land in 2011. Being as I already had my splashsuit on, it made sense for me to ride this next. I got into a log, which went along the canal, around the u-bend, up the lift hill (stopping briefly part way up), and after reaching the summit went down the shute to land with a mighty splash. My only regret was not putting my hood up, thus some water ran down the inside of the back of my splashsuit. As soon as I left the ride, I had my photo taken nearby before taking my splashsuit off.

Nickelodeon Streak
Determined to ride all five wooden coasters during the course of Sunday, I headed for Nickelodeon Streak next. The waiting time for this wooden coaster was short, when I got on the train I sat in the third row. Afterwards I decided to have a second go, this time in the back row.

The Krusty Krab Order Up
Formerly Fruit Shoot The Ride in the Beaver Creek section until 2010, this Moser Rides drop tower was re-themed and renamed The Krusty Krab Order Up for inclusion in Nickelodeon Land in 2011. It has two seat units (one each side of the tower). Obviously this is only a baby tower compared to the Ice Blast, quite a quite a tame ride really. Just like any other Moser Rides drop tower I've been on elsewhere, the seat unit went up and down a few times and that was it, nothing scary about it. I only had one go on this.

At this point I saw two Nickelodeon Land characters and had my photo taken with them.

Blue Flyer
So far I had ridden Big Dipper, Wild Mouse, Grand National (both lift hills) and Nickelodeon Streak at least once each. That left just one more wooden coaster for me to ride, Blue Flyer. Without further ado I enjoyed two goes on the Park's smallest woodie Blue Flyer. The waiting time was minimal for both goes. Interestingly this happened to be the first wooden coaster I rode Saturday and last wooden coaster I rode Sunday.

Whilst riding Blue Flyer I spotted Dora near Dora's World Voyage. Having left Blue Flyer, I had my photo taken with Dora, despite already having had my picture taken with her Saturday. This time I deliberately showed my RCCGB 20th anniversary T-shirt in the photo.

Avatar Airbender
This Zamperla Disko is one of the new rides introduced as part of Nickelodeon Land in 2011. Riders sit at the edge of a giant disk facing outwards. The disk spins whilst travelling a u-shaped track back and forth. In my opinion, the ride experience was no different to any other Zamperla Disko I've ridden elsewhere. A fun ride, but once was enough; just like any other Disko there's no way I could take two goes straight off. This was my last Nickelodeon Land ride of the day.

Steeplechase
My next stop was the three tracked racing roller coaster Steeplechase, with the intention of having at least one go. Only the red and yellow lanes were operating; the central green lane was closed off. Being as I missed the yellow lane on Saturday, I queued for the yellow lane this time. Unlike Saturday, I remained quiet on this ride this time. I limited myself to just one go as there were other rides I wanted to go on before closing time.

Big One
Now for the tallest coaster of all, the Big One. Unlike Saturday, only one train was operating on Sunday. I faced a few train loads wait to get on this, but it was worth the wait. Just like on Saturday, the train exited the station, went through the Pepsi can tunnel, up the lift hill, down the steep first drop, over the subsequent undulations and back to the station. All this made for a mega fun ride, but I limited myself to one go as there were still other rides I wanted to go on afterwards.

Revolution
The looping steel coaster which I was equally determined to ride in the remaining available time. Once seated, the train set off, went downhill, around the vertical loop, uphill and along a flat section where it suddenly ground to an abrupt halt. After a brief pause, the train went backwards through the loop until it was back at the station. Wow, a fast and thrilling ride, but again I deliberately limited myself to one go as I still wanted to try and fit in a go on Infusion.

Infusion
There was still time for me to ride this inverted steel coaster. Although only one train was operating, I managed to get straight on to the second row. The lift hill, first drop, vertical loop and other thrilling elements collectively made for an exciting ride. Having exited the station, I managed to re-enter and have one more ride, this time in the back row, before closing time. Wow, an amazing ride to round off my second day of riding at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Once my second go was over, the rides were closed, and it was time for me to head for the Pleasure Beach exit.

Summary of my day in order of activity

Morning ERS: Big Dipper 4, Avalanche 1, Wild Mouse 1

Ghost Train 1
Alice Ride 1
Derby Racer 1
Ice Blast 1
Grand National 3 (left lift hill, right lift hill, right lift hill)
Derby Racer 1

Mid-afternoon snack

SpongeBob's Splash Bash 1
Dora's World Voyage 1
Rugrats Lost River 1
Nickelodeon Streak 2
The Krusty Krab Order Up 1
Blue Flyer 2
Avatar Airbender 1
Steeplechase yellow 1
Big One 1
Revolution 1
Infusion 2

Cumulative Summary of My Rides (ERSs and Free Time Combined)

Ride
Total
Alice Ride
1
Avalanche
1
Avatar Airbender
1
Big Dipper
4
Big One
1
Blue Flyer
2
Derby Racer
2
Dora's World Voyage
1
Ghost Train
1
Grand National
3
Ice Blast
1
Infusion
2
Nickelodeon Streak
2
Revolution
1
Rugrats Lost River
1
SpongeBob's Splash Bash
1
Steeplechase
1
The Krusty Krab Order Up
1
Wild Mouse
1
TOTAL
28

Altogether another great day's riding, for me it was extra special to stay in the Pleasure Beach after the ERS and ride until Sunday closing time for the first time having attended the RCCGB Blackpool Bash every year since 2008.

Sunday Early Evening
I finally left the Pleasure Beach at 17:10 As I left I saw Chris Fletcher, Death, Ianto Gulliver and Gareth Arkell standing outside the entrance. Evidently they must have stayed in the Pleasure Beach all day just like me. I had my photo taken with Ianto. Without further ado I returned to my hotel briefly to collect my luggage. Having left the hotel for the last time I walked to the seafront, hoping to catch a tram from South Pier towards North Pier. Unfortunately when I got to the seafront I saw a tram on South Pier tram stop, and by the time I got to that stop it had gone. The next tram was due at 17:36, but before then I saw a bus going along the promenade in the direction of North Pier, so got on that instead. Having left the bus at North Pier I walked to nearby Market Street Diner where I had fish, chips and mushy peas. Afterwards I fancied an ice cream, ironically I ended up walking back to North Pier to get a Carte d'Or 1 scoop ice cream; I chose caramel ice cream.

Journey Home
Without further ado I walked to Blackpool North station. I arrived with adequate time to enjoy a small Americano in Pumpkin café before catching the 18:44 train to Preston. From Preston I caught a connecting train to Birmingham New Street, followed by a train to Bristol Temple Meads and finally a train to Bath Spa. I finally reached home around 23:30.

Back to the top

Outro

Highlights
Meeting members I'd met on previous Club trips again (including Andy and Christine Hine, Alan Chilvers, Barry Frost, Death, Emerald Evans, Happy Helen, Sophia Jones, Mary and Andy Knight, Planenut, Ryan Hackett, Doug, Charlie, Emily and Lizzie).
Saturday morning ERS on Big One, Steeplechase, Blue Flyer.
Saturday afternoon ERS on Grand National.
Unexpected bonus ERS on Big One Saturday early evening.
Sunday ERS on Big Dipper, Wild Mouse and Avalanche.
Having a Sunday wristband and thus riding after the Sunday ERS until closing time for the first time.
Good overall ride count both Saturday and Sunday (during ERSs and normal time).
Riding all five wooden coasters (including both lift hills of Grand National) both Saturday and Sunday)
Two nights of entertainment, plus dancing in the disco Saturday evening.
Dave Maryan's songs Friday evening.
Performing a series of circuit training exercises in the Gong Show Saturday evening, and the freak result that followed!
Dry, mostly sunny weather Saturday and Sunday.

Lowlights
Problems with Big One and Steeplechase Saturday morning (but at least there was a bonus Big One ERS Saturday evening).
Problems with the homeward train journey at Preston Sunday evening, but at least I managed to reach Birmingham New Street in time for my intended connecting train to Bristol.

Summing Up
Another mega excellent weekend away at Blackpool in Granadaland, my seventh Blackpool Bash to-date. It was great riding the Big One, Grand National, Infusion and other rides again, and catching up with other members. Thanks a million to Andy Hine for all the effort involved in organising a trip of this nature. At the Blackpool Bash, the ERSs and other riding are only part of the fun. The other major chunk of the fun includes the Friday evening entertainment, Saturday lunch and Saturday evening Coaster Crazy Show and disco. It was great to be back in the Gong Show, having missed it in 2013, but it seemed really weird to be have the seemingly impossible accolade of best and worst act! Perhaps it's time to overhaul the voting system somehow, so that whoever is voted the winner cannot subsequently be voted the worst act. No wonder Nev says in the Blackpool Bash invite "If you can only make one Club trip this year, make it this one".

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment