Tuesday 6 May 2014

Eurovision Song Contest 2014 Semi-Final 1

Host country: Denmark (DR)
Venue: B&W Hallerne, Copenhagen, Denmark
Hosts: Nikolaj Koppel, Pilou Asbæk and Lise Rønne
Date: Tuesday 6 May 2014

N.B. Any use of "tonight" or "this evening" throughout this post means Tuesday 6 May 2014.

The Opening
The show began with Emmelie de Forest singing a reprise of last year's winner "Only Teardrops". Emmelie was accompainied by video clips which had been sent in by Eurovision fans in advance. A spectacular way to open the first semi-final.

The Songs
Ten minutes after the start of the show it was time for the first song. Each song was introduced by a postcard film related to the appropriate country, during which someone in the film created the appropriate flag design somehow, e.g. Armenia created a brooch.

Song 1: Armenia - Aram MP3 "Not Alone"
It's difficult making a judgement on the first song, but anyway this starts as a gentle ballad, and about two thirds of the way through there's a really lively bit. Finally the tail end of it goes back to being gentle. Was the strobe lighting really necessary in the lively bit? I'd rather this doesn't qualify to be honest.

Song 2: Latvia - Aarzemnieki "Cake To Bake"
A song I quite liked on the CD album. The song has a quiet start, but then it picks up and the chorus is really catchy. Quite a good performance but I think I prefer the CD album version. I'm not convinced this deserves a place in the final.

Song 3: Estonia - Tanja "Amazing"
A good dance routine which would be great to join in and copy; it's amazing how Tanja can sing whilst dancing with her partner. However I'm not overly keen on the song, I'm not sure this deserves to go through.

Song 4: Sweden - Sanna Nielsen "Undo"
A good ballad, which for much of its duration is quite slow, but towards the end it becomes lively and powerful. This ought to go through.

Song 5: Iceland - Pollapönk "No Prejudice"
After the lullaby ballad of last year, Iceland have gone for something really lively this time. When I first heard this song online I didn't think much of this, but I've developed a liking for it since. The chorus is really catchy with a good beat, I particularly like the line "It's not trigonometry" as that's a direct connection with mathematics. Come on, this deserves to go through. See you Saturday Pollapönk!

A short break occurred at this point.

Song 6: Albania - Hersi "One Night's Anger"
Well it's probably just as well the UK doesn't vote tonight, because many UK viewers would, without a shadow of a doubt, vote for this song just for the line "Keep calm and think twice", which some UK viewers will inevitably see as the latest variant of "Keep Calm and Carry On". Not bad a song, but I'm not sure this deserves to go through.

Song 7: Russia - Tolmachevy Sisters "Shine"
The Tolmachevy Sisters previously won the Junior Eurovision Song Contest for Russia in 2006. This year they are representing Russia in the adult Eurovision Song Contest. I was in two minds about this song when I heard it on the CD album the last couple of weeks, but tonight I really like it. A good song, very well sung, I particularly liked the back to back formation at the start and synchronised moves thereafter. What was the significance of the see-saw though? This deserves a place in the final, see you Saturday!

Song 8: Azerbaijan - Dilara Kazimova "Start A Fire"
Azerbaijan have had some good entries the last few years, but this song is, in my opinion, somewhat poor by comparison. The best bit was the person on the trapeze, but what was the significance of that? This is a song contest after all, not a circus. I'd rather this stays out.

Song 9: Ukraine - Mariya Yaremchuk "Tick - Tock"
Another song I felt borderline about whilst listening to the CD. Not bad I suppose, the chorus is really catchy. Is the man in the wheel meant to be a representation of a clock? It certainly seems that way to me. I wouldn't mind seeing this in the final.

Song 10: Belgium - Axel Hirsoux "Mother"
This year Belgium have gone for a gentle, slow ballad. I quite liked this on the CD album, and tonight Axel is singing it really well with a powerful voice on the chorus. This deserves a place in the final.

Song 11: Moldova - Cristina Scarlat "Wild Soul"
Moldova have gone for a power ballad, with a catchy and powerful chorus. I quite like the dance routine by the backing group, particularly the on-floor moves. This ought to go through.

Song 12: San Marino - Valentina Monetta "Maybe (Forse)"
So far San Marino have never qualified to the final, and it's Valentina's third consecutive year of singing for them. From the first time I saw the preview video online I quite liked this ballad, and I've liked it more and more hearing it on the CD album the last couple of weeks. Tonight Valentina gave a first class performance of an excellent song. One of the best songs so far tonight, she definitely deserves a place Saturday night.

A short break occurred at this point.

Song 13: Portugal - Suzy "Quero Ser Tua"
After Portugal took a break last year, they are back this year with "Quero Ser Tua". An upbeat, catchy song throughout with a dance routine which would be great to copy; in other words an adult kids' Boogie Beebies big video. I quite liked this on the CD album the last couple of weeks, and am really impressed by the live performance tonight. This deserves a place in Saturday's final. Was the strobe lighting at the end needed though? One bit of trivia, if Portugal qualify and win Saturday's final, it will have taken them half a century to win since their debut entry in 1964.

Song 14: The Netherlands - The Common Linnets "Calm After The Storm"
This year the Netherlands have gone for a country song; I like the use of the white lines on the stage early on to represent a road. Another of my much-liked songs on the CD album, the live performance tonight was excellent. I definitely want to see this in the final.

Song 15: Montenegro - Sergej Ćetković "Moj Svijet"
After Montenegro brought us a load of unbearable rap and dubstep last year, which thankfully failed to reach the final, they've entered a decent song this time, a beautiful ballad. An excellent song, very well sung by Sergej, appropriately accompanied by a first class dance routine by the ballerina. This definitely deserves to be Montenegro's first ever time of reaching the grand final since 2007. See you Saturday Sergej!

Song 16: Hungary - András Kállay-Saunders "Running"
The final song already, it's amazing how time flies! I first saw the preview video online just six days after running the Bath Half Family Fun Run 2014 on Sunday 2 March, and sort of liked it straight away just for the chorus line "She keeps on running, running, running". I've liked it more and more listening to it on the CD album the last couple of weeks. This is a good ballad, with a lively, catchy chorus. I hope this goes through to the final.

Back to the top

Televoting and Recap
After the songs finished, voting started. A recap of the songs followed.

Back to the top

My Preferences
Here are my preferences based solely on all of tonight's performances:
Definitely want to qualify: Sweden, Iceland, Russia, Belgium, San Marino, Portugal, The Netherlands, Montenegro, Hungary
Wouldn't mind qualifying: One of Albania, Ukraine, Moldova
Prefer not to qualify: Armenia, Latvia, Estonia
Definitely don't want to qualify: Azerbaijan

So these are the ones I want to see Saturday night: Sweden, Iceland, Russia, Belgium, San Marino, Portugal, The Netherlands, Montenegro, Hungary, plus one only out of Albania, Ukraine, Moldova.

Back to the top

Eurovision Song Contest 2014 Semi-Final 1 Results
So here are the results, which were announced in a random order at 21:52 BST. Any use of "tonight" still means Tuesday 6 May 2014.

My desired qualifiers: Sweden, Iceland, Russia, Belgium, San Marino, Portugal, The Netherlands, Montenegro, Hungary, plus one only out of Albania, Ukraine, Moldova.

Actual qualifiers (in order of announcement): Montenegro, Hungary, Russia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, San Marino, Ukraine, Sweden, The Netherlands, Iceland.

Bold entries represent the actual qualifiers that match my preferences.

OUT: Latvia, Estonia, Albania, Belgium, Moldova, Portugal.

I'm extremely overjoyed San Marino are through for the first time ever since debuting in 2008, third time lucky for Valentina! She really deserved it this time with her ballad "Maybe (Forse)". Also I'm glad Montenegro qualified for the first time since their debut entry in 2007. After their atrocious garbage last year, Sergej's ballad really deserved a place in the final. I'm glad Sweden and Russia are through too as both had outstanding entries tonight. As for other qualifiers, I'm pleased to see Hungary in the final for its catchy chorus and reference to running, the Netherlands through for the second year in a row (after eight years of not qualifying 2005 to 2012 inclusive), and Iceland in the final for having a catchy chorus with a reference to mathematics.

I'm annoyed Azerbaijan and Armenia are through, I didn't like either of their entries. In my opinion, Belgium and Portugal (the two countries on my "Definitely want to qualify" list that failed to qualify) had much better songs than Azerbaijan and Armenia. Belgium and Portugal deserved the places taken by Azerbaijan and Armenia. Alternatively if Belgium and Portugal couldn't go through, I'd sooner have seen Albania and Moldova in place of Azerbaijan and Armenia. I really didn't want Azerbaijan or Armenia in the final.

Thank goodness Estonia failed to qualify, their entry wasn't up to much this year. As for Latvia, I was lukewarm about that when I saw it tonight, and when I saw other better songs later in the Contest Latvia's entry ended up on my "Prefer not to qualify" list. To be honest I'm now glad they didn't go through.

So that means 7 out of my 9 "Definitely want to qualify" countries are through, and one of my three "Wouldn't mind qualifying" countries is through. Well done really. So what will happen on Thursday? Will I end up with 10 definitely want to qualify countries, and see them all in the final? Time will tell. Roll on Thursday evening for the other 15 semi-finalists.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment