Thursday 8 May 2014

Eurovision Song Contest 2014 Semi-Final 2

Host country: Denmark (DR)
Venue: B&W Hallerne, Copenhagen, Denmark
Hosts: Nikolaj Koppel, Pilou Asbæk and Lise Rønne
Date: Thursday 8 May 2014

N.B. Any use of "tonight" or "this evening" throughout this post means Thursday 8 May 2014.

The Opening
The show began with a dance called "Building The Stage". An impressive performance to begin the show. However I've no idea what the significance of the tree and falling apples on the background screens was. When the dance ended Nikolaj, Pilou and Lise appeared to present the evening.

The Songs
Nine minutes after the start of the show it was time for the first song. Each song was introduced by a postcard film related to the appropriate country, during which someone in the film created the appropriate flag design somehow, e.g. Malta ignited white and red fireworks arranged in a frame.

Song 1: Malta - Firelight "Coming Home"
Malta were first to perform with Firelight singing "Coming Home". A song I felt indifferent about whilst listening to the CD album. Judging by tonight's live performance, not bad an entry, but I'm not sure whether this merits a place in the final.

Song 2: Israel - Mei Finegold "Same Heart"
Israel have gone for a power ballad this year. I liked this very much on the CD album, and liked it even more sung live tonight. A powerful song with a really catchy ballad, and very well sung. What was the significance of the sideways lunges by all including the lead singer about two thirds of the way through? This definitely deserves a place in Satuday's final.

Song 3: Norway - Carl Espen "Silent Storm"
Now for Norway, they've gone for a gentle ballad this year. I thought this too was one of the better songs on the CD album. Watching the live performance tonight reminds me of Iceland's entry "Ég Á Líf" last year. An excellent song, very well sung with outstanding clarity of voice. Another song which definitely deserves a place in the final, see you Saturday Carl!

Song 4: Georgia - The Shin and Mariko "Three Minutes to Earth"
What on Earth in the world is this mixed bag of all kinds of everything? It seems to be folk, yodelling and bits of other genres rolled into one. What was the significance of the bloke in the harness? What a mix of costumes too, e.g. the lady in the green dress, man in pinstripe jacket, etc. This was one of my least liked songs on the CD album, and I didn't think much of it sung live tonight. I'd rather this stays out of the final.

Song 5: Poland - Donatan & Cleo "My Słowianie - We Are Slavic"
Poland are back for 2014 having missed a couple years, but what rubbish they've brought on their return! This is the one song I disliked most of all listening to the CD album since just before Easter and, quite frankly, it's just as bad performed live tonight. The song itself is a load of nauseating garbage. Is it dubstep or what? What's the significance of the lady with the washing board and bowl near the end? About the only good thing I do like about it is the ladies' costumes. For goodness sake, please, please, please stay out of Saturday's final!

A short break occurred at this point.

Song 6: Austria - Conchita Wurst "Rise Like a Phoenix"
Now for Austria. When I first heard this on the Eurovision Song Contest 2014 CD album just before Easter this reminded me of a typical James Bond opening theme. I particularly liked this on the CD, and like it just as much tonight. An excellent song, very well performed with a good strong voice. This really must be in the final, see you Saturday Conchita!

Song 7: Lithuania - Vilija Matačiūnaitė "Attention"
Another of my most disliked songs on the CD, and I dislike it just as much sung live. To me it sounds like another load of nauseating trash. About the only good things were the arm and leg movements, but what was their significance to the song? Please stay out of the final!

Song 8: Finland - Softengine "Something Better"
A song I felt in two minds about on the CD, it's better than Georgia, Poland and Lithuania; the chorus is quite catchy, but I'm not overly keen on it. Was the use of strobe lighting at times really necessary?

Song 9: Ireland - Can-Linn (featuring Kasey Smith) "Heartbeat"
One of my preferred songs on the CD, though not one of my favourites. During tonight's live performance I liked this power ballad, which includes a bit of violin, just as much. A good song, well sung, but I think her voice could have done with being a bit stronger. I also liked the dancers in the background, their routine would be great to join in and copy. This deserves a place in the final, see you Saturday.

Song 10: Belarus - Teo "Cheesecake"
The first time I saw the preview video of this online I didn't think much of it, but I liked it more on the CD album. As for tonight's live performance, it's alright, but it's certainly not one of my favourites so far this evening. At least it's better than some songs so far tonight. I wouldn't mind this in the final, but I'm not desperate to see it Saturday.

Song 11: F.Y.R. Macedonia - Tijana "To the Sky"
Another song I felt indifferent about on the CD. Based on tonight's live performance, it's not bad an entry, but I'm not overly keen on it. What was the significance of the dancer dressed in white? Although he had a good dance routine, it was really only a gimmick of questionable necessity, just like the skater in Russia's winning song "Believe" in 2008. I wouldn't mind seeing this Saturday, but I wouldn't miss it if it's not there either.

Song 12: Switzerland - Sebalter "Hunter Of Stars"
Now for Switzerland. Again when I heard it on the CD, I felt "not bad", and my opinion on the live performance tonight is about the same. Put it this way, I still don't think it's as good as their entry last year which I was disappointed to see eliminated at the semi-final stage. This year I don't mind if Switzerland go through, but won't miss them if they don't.

A short break occurred at this point.

Song 13: Greece - Freaky Fortune feat. RiskyKidd "Rise Up"
Well I didn't think much of this on the CD album. The brass band introduction, which sounds like it was coming from a scratched vinyl record, just doesn't fit at all with the main part of the song. I only like it marginally better sung live tonight. I'd rather this stays out of Saturday's final.

Song 14: Slovenia - Tinkara Kovač "Round and round"
One of the songs I felt was reasonable on the CD, albeit not among my favourites. Based on tonight's live performance, this is certainly one of the better songs of tonight, albeit not the best. I really liked the flute at the beginning and at other parts of the song, as well as the song itself. I hope this goes through to the final.

Song 15: Romania - Paula Seling & OVI "Miracle"
The final song of the night already, it's certainly been a quick semi-final! Another song I felt in two minds about whilst listening to the CD album, but based on tonight's live performance alone I quite like it' "Miracle" is certainly one of the better songs of tonight's semi-final. It's certainly a catchy song to finish with anyway. I'd like to see this on Saturday night. I hope you go through.

Back to the top

Televoting and Recap
After the songs finished, voting started at 21:16 BST. A recap of the songs followed.

Back to the top

My Preferences
Here are my preferences based solely on all of tonight's performances:
Definitely want to qualify: Israel, Norway, Austria, Ireland, Slovenia, Romania
Wouldn't mind qualifying: Malta, Finland, Belarus, F.Y.R. Macedonia, Switzerland
Prefer not to qualify: Georgia, Greece
Definitely don't want to qualify: Poland, Lithuania

So these are the ones I want to see Saturday night: Israel, Norway, Austria, Ireland, Slovenia, Romania; plus any four (and no more) of Malta, Finland, Belarus, F.Y.R. Macedonia, Switzerland.

The UK voted this evening; I voted for Israel and Austria.

Back to the top

Eurovision Song Contest 2014 Semi-Final 2 Results
So here are the results, which were announced in a random order at 21:55 BST. Any use of "tonight" still means Thursday 8 May 2014.

My desired qualifiers: Israel, Norway, Austria, Ireland, Slovenia, Romania; plus any four (and no more) of Malta, Finland, Belarus, F.Y.R. Macedonia, Switzerland.

Actual qualifiers (in order of announcement): Switzerland, Slovenia, Poland, Romania, Norway, Greece, Malta, Belarus, Finland, Austria.

Bold entries represent the actual qualifiers that match my preferences.

OUT: Israel, Georgia, Lithuania, Ireland, F.Y.R. Macedonia.

I'm disappointed and upset that Israel didn't make it through, it was a powerful song which really deserved a place in the final; in fact I liked it so much it was one of the songs I voted for. Also I'm disappointed Ireland failed to qualify. Both Israel and Ireland were among the six best songs of the night, which were in my "Definitely want to qualify" group. Thank goodness Austria, the other country I voted for, reached the final, albeit the last one to be announced. Conchita's song for Austria was one of the best in tonight's semi-final, I was really overjoyed when I heard Austria called out.

I am appalled and disgusted that Poland made it through as, in my opinion, it was a load of nauseating garbage which I really hated to the extent I put it in my "Definitely don't want to qualify" group. All I can now hope is that it comes last with nul points Saturday night, because as far as I'm concerned, that's all it deserves. To a lesser degree I'm also annoyed that Greece are through, I didn't think much of their entry either; that was on my "Prefer not to qualify" list. Israel and Ireland, both of whom had entries an order of magnitude better, deserved the places Poland and Greece took. Thank heavens Georgia and Lithuania failed to reach the final as I didn't like either of their songs.

Out of other countries, I'm glad Norway, Slovenia and Romania went through, they were also good songs which deserved places in the grand final. So that means four out of my six "Definitely want to qualify" countries (Israel, Norway, Austria, Ireland, Slovenia, Romania) went through; those being Norway, Austria, Slovenia, Romania; a 66.6% success rate there. Four of my five "Wouldn't mind qualifying" countries went through, the successful ones being Malta, Finland, Belarus, Switzerland. Well I did say I only wanted four of that group to make up the ten in addition to all six in my "Definitely want to qualify" group.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment