Tuesday 10 May 2022

Eurovision Song Contest 2022 First Semi-Final

Host country: Italy (RAI)
Venue: PalaOlimpico, Turin, Italy
Hosts: Laura Pausini, Alessandro Cattelan, Mika
Date: Tuesday 10 May 2022

N.B. Any use of "tonight" or "this evening" throughout this post means Tuesday 10 May 2022. All times in this post are in BST.

The Opening
After the initial opening sequence, the first semi-final began with an instrumental interpretation of “Nessun Dorma”, with what appeared to be someone putting their hands through laser beams to create the sound effect. This led seamlessly into a song “The Sound of Beauty”. Afterwards the three hosts appeared on stage to give their opening speeches.

The Songs
Eleven minutes after the start of the show (20:11 BST) it was time for the first song. Each song was introduced by a postcard film related to the appropriate country.

Song 1: Albania - Ronela Hajati “Sekret”
It’s difficult being the first one to perform, but someone has to sing first. I like the eastern style sounds early on, and the chorus, but I don’t like the rap-like section that follows (I think that spoils the song). The jets of smoke / dry ice vapour certainly add to this moment in the song though. I’d rather this didn’t qualify.

Song 2: Latvia - Citi Zēni “Eat Your Salad”
Having seen the lyrics for this song, this is clearly encouraging veganism, and other changes of lifestyle to save the planet (e.g. cycling instead of driving). With this in mind, this is what I call a protest song. Given the content of the lyrics, it’s hardly surprising images of vegetables on the background screens. I’d rather this didn’t qualify, but this might well slip through in order to get the environmental across in the Grand Final.

Song 3: Lithuania - Monika Liu “Sentimentai”
#LTU Lithuania has gone for a beautiful ballad this year, and furthermore it’s sung in Lithuanian. In my opinion, this is better than the first two songs, but I think Monika’s voice ought to be stronger. At least she looked the part, with her sparkly dress, and the sparkly lighting on the background screens enhanced the performance. I wouldn’t mind this in the final, but wouldn’t miss it if it’s not there.

Song 4: Switzerland - Marius Bear “Boys Do Cry”
#SUI After a slow start, this has quite a memorable chorus. The predominantly dark stage, with the spotlight and a few other sparkling lights, was just what a song of this nature needed. Altogether a good ballad, Marius has a beautiful voice and he sang well tonight. This deserves a place in the final.

Song 5: Slovenia - LPS “Disko”
#SVN Now for quite a lively song, and it’s sung in Slovenian. The large disco ball in the background, and flashing lights at times, enhance this song. On the whole, a catchy song, but I think this will struggle to qualify as there are other lively songs in the line-up tonight.

Song 6: Ukraine - Kalush Orchestra “Stefania”
#UKR This is currently the bookies’ favourite to win tonight, and outright on Saturday. It combines Ukrainian folk with rap. I like the use of the long flute / whistle, and the folk part is bearable to me, but I feel the rap is unnecessary here. The one thing I liked the most was the patterns on the background screen, and lighting effects, which enhanced this song. I’d rather this doesn’t qualify, but mark my words, this is almost guaranteed a slot on Saturday. See you Saturday, Kalush Orchestra.

A short break followed at this point.

Song 7: Bulgaria - Intelligent Music Project “Intention”
#BUL Bulgaria has gone for a rock song this year. That said, “Intention” is a toned down form of rock compared to the entries from Finland and Italy last year. This style of rock reminds me of Status Quo. Unsurprisingly the song included strobe lighting at times, flame effects during the bridge and at the end, and orange lights between the two lots of flame effects. All these effects enhanced the song. One significant stage object was the ball with craters; but I’m mystified as to the significance of that. Altogether a lively song, but I think a song of this style could have been sung more strongly. I wouldn’t mind seeing this in the final, but I won’t miss it if it’s not there.

Song 8: Netherlands - S10 “De Diepte”
#NED The Netherlands has gone for a ballad this year, and furthermore it’s sung in Dutch. I particularly like the pre-chorus and chorus, as well as the lighting effects throughout the song. The singer has a beautiful voice, and she sang well. Sadly this may be at a disadvantage being performed between the lively entries from Bulgaria and Moldova. Anyway, I’d definitely like to see this in the final on Saturday.

Song 9: Moldova - Zdob şi Zdub & Advahov Brothers “Trenulețul”
#MDA Zdob şi Zdub previously represented Moldova in the Eurovision Song Contest in 2005 and 2011, and qualified to the final on both occasions. They are back this year with a lively song with country elements, and use of an accordion (it wouldn’t be Eurovision without an accordion). I particularly like the catchy chorus, but the words didn’t seem so clear in tonight’s live performance as in the preview video. The patterns on the wall enhanced the song. I noticed the instrumental filler near the end, presumably that was a substitute for the pause near the end of the preview video. If nothing else, a fun entry, which is why I’d like to see this on Saturday evening.

Song 10: Portugal - MARO “Saudade, Saudade”
#POR Another beautiful ballad, this one from Portugal. The members of the group sang this well, and I liked the lighting effects. I’d particularly like this in the final on Saturday, but I have a feeling this will struggle to qualify.

The hosts spoke for a moment at this point.

Song 11: Croatia - Mia Dimšić “Guilty Pleasure”
#CRO Another ballad; Mia has a beautiful voice, and she sang well live. I’m mystified as to the significance of the other members on stage though; I think Mia could have sung this just as well alone. The staging was minimal, but this is the sort of song that doesn’t need flashing lights or flame effects; Mia just sells the song through her voice. I’d particularly like to see this on Saturday night, and will be gutted if this isn’t there.

Song 12: Denmark - REDDI “The Show”
#DEN Well this is a song of contrasts. This starts with the lady singing a ballad whilst seated at the grand piano, under the spotlight, and after the first chorus this livens up to the extent of being an almost different song / musical genre. The rest of the sog, she’s standing up, playing the electric guitar (along with others), and this part of the song is appropriately accompanied by different coloured lights, flashing lights at times and smoke jets at times. Basically, this is two songs in one, which may be alright for those who enjoy both styles, but someone who likes ballads or lively songs might see this as an incomplete song with an inappropriate other part. REDDI have done their best to make the two work together, but it’s questionable whether this will get to the final. I wouldn’t mind this on Saturday, but wouldn’t miss it if it’s not there.

A short break followed at this point.

Song 13: Austria - LUM!X feat. Pia Maria “Halo”
#AUT A very lively song, and the two artists are inside a ring of lights (presumably that represents a halo). Other lighting effects include light beams from overhead, and strobe lighting at times. Smoke / dry ice jets and flame effects further enhance the song. I’m not that keen on this, but mark my words, this will be in the Grand Final on Saturday, just because it’s so lively. See you Saturday, LUM!X.

Song 14: Iceland - Systur “Með Hækkandi Sól”
I watched Söngvakeppnin 2022 Final online from the UK, one day late. Sigga, Beta and Elín won, and they’re taking part under the name Systur at Eurovision 2022. “Með Hækkandi Sól” is a country ballad, which I feel sounds magical. Sigga, Beta and Elín have nice voices, they sang well tonight, and the song was appropriately enhanced by orange lighting. I’d love to see this in the final on Saturday, and would have voted for this if I’d been able to, but I think it will be a miracle for this to qualify.

Song 15: Greece - Amanda Georgiadi Tenfjord “Die Together”
#GRE From one ballad to another, it’s Greece’s turn now. This has a rather dull first verse but I like the first chorus. The trouble is, it takes until the second chorus to really get going, and the highlight of the song is near the end. My concern is some may have gone to make a coffee during the first verse, and missed out on the best part ner the end. Anyway, Amanda has a nice voice and she sand well live. The lighting effects enhanced the song. Despite the dull start, I’d like to see this in the final.

Song 16: Norway - Subwoolfer “Give That Wolf A Banana”
#NOR A lively song from Norway, with a punchy beat. It mentions bananas a lot, so it’s hardly surprising this makes extensive use of yellow lighting. In addition there are white light beams during the bridge. Close to the end, there are smoke / dry ice jets, and a few flame effects. I’m not that keen on this, but it’ll be there, just because it’s lively.

Song 17: Armenia - Rosa Linn “Snap”
#ARM The last song in the line-up already, it’s amazing how time flies! It’s a country ballad. I like the way Rosa was sitting down playing a guitar during the first verse, and stood up at the start of the first chorus. On the whole, an amazing ballad, with pleasant verses and quite a catchy chourus. I like the dry ice effects and orange lights during the final chorus.

Back to the top

Televoting and Recap
After the songs finished, the hosts reappeared to announce the start of the voting at 21:31 BST. A recap of the songs followed. The UK was unable to vote in tonight's semi-final, and therefore UK viewers saw a message "UK viewers cannot vote tonight" at the bottom of the screen during the recap.

Back to the top

My Preferences
Here are my preferences based solely on all of tonight's performances:
Definitely want to qualify: Switzerland, Netherlands, Moldova, Portugal, Croatia, Iceland, Greece, Armenia.
Wouldn't mind qualifying: Lithuania, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Denmark.
Prefer not to qualify: Albania, Ukraine, Austria, Norway.
Definitely don't want to qualify: Latvia.

So these are the ones I want to see Saturday night: Switzerland, Netherlands, Moldova, Portugal, Croatia, Iceland, Greece, Armenia, plus two of Lithuania, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Denmark.

Had the UK been voting in this semi-final, I would have voted for:

My Qualification Predictions
Here are my predictions of which countries will and won’t qualify, based solely on all of tonight's performances:
Almost certain qualifiers: Ukraine, Greece.
Likely qualifiers: Switzerland, Netherlands, Austria, Norway, Armenia.
May qualify: Albania, Latvia, Bulgaria, Moldova, Croatia, Denmark.
Highly unlikely to qualify: Lithuania, Slovenia, Portugal, Iceland.

Voting closed at 21:49 BST.

Back to the top

Eurovision Song Contest 2022 First Semi-Final Results

Here are the results, which were announced in a random order before 22:00 BST. Any use of "tonight" still means Tuesday 10 May 2022.

My desired qualifiers: Switzerland, Netherlands, Moldova, Portugal, Croatia, Iceland, Greece, Armenia, plus two of Lithuania, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Denmark.

Actual qualifiers (in order of announcement): Switzerland, Armenia, Iceland, Lithuania, Portugal, Norway, Greece, Ukraine, Moldova, Netherlands.

Bold entries represent the actual qualifiers that match my "Definitely want to qualify" preferences, and italic entries represent the ones that match my "Wouldn't mind qualifying" preferences.

OUT: Albania, Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Denmark, Latvia, Slovenia.

I’m particularly overjoyed that Switzerland, Armenia, Iceland, Portugal and the Netherlands qualified. They all had ballads which I felt were most deserving of being in the final. I didn’t think Iceland or Portugal would qualify, but much to my surprise and amazement, they qualified. I’m also glad Greece is in the final; despite their song’s slow start it builds into quite a catchy finish. I’m also glad Moldova is in the final; “Trenulețul” is a lively, catchy song, and although some may possibly consider it to be a bit silly, I see it as a fun song if nothing else. I’m also pleased to see Lithuania in the final; although their entry was on my “Wouldn't mind qualifying” list, it’s still a good song that I think deserves a place in the final.

The only two countries on my “Prefer not to qualify” list which made it to the final are Norway and Ukraine. Although I personally don’t like Ukraine’s entry this year, it was obvious that “Stefania” would go through. After all, Ukraine has been one of the songs most likely to qualify, and strongly tipped to win the First Semi-Final, for a good while now. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Ukraine won tonight’s semi-final, but no-one will know until the EBU release the semi-final results after Saturday’s Grand Final is over. As for Norway qualifying, well I’m not surprised; I guessed their song would go through just because it’s lively.

Thank goodness Latvia didn’t go through, because I see their song as a protest song, going by its lyrics. On top of which, I felt the whole song, and the manner in which it was performed, was a bit on the silly side. Latvia is the one song I put on my “Definitely don't want to qualify” list. I did wonder if people would vote for it to be in the final, just to have the “go vegan” message there, but evidently that didn’t happen.

So, 7 of my 8 “Definitely want to qualify” songs went through, and 1 of my “Wouldn't mind qualifying” reached the final. Not bad I suppose. At the end of the day, I cannot expect to have all the songs I personally want in the final, and all the songs I personally don’t like eliminated.

Anyway, no matter how I personally feel about which countries' songs went thorough and which ones didn't, all the artists who performed tonight deserve equal respect. Congratulations to the ten countries which qualified to the final, and commiserations to the seven which failed to reach the final. So, that means fifteen finalists are now confirmed and seven countries have been eliminated. Another eighteen countries will battle it out for the ten remaining places on Thursday evening.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment