Sunday 26 November 2017

RCCGB Folly Farm 2017

Date: Friday 11 August 2017
Venue: Folly Farm
Who Went: Me and a large number of other RCCGB members, including Andy and Christine Hine, Ann Morgan, Bradpeet, Death, Herman Coaster, Mark and Margo Lewis, Stevie Bee.

DISCLAIMER: The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of everyone who attended. It's a small sample of attendees; mainly those I spoke to and/or rode with at Folly Farm. I sincerely apologise to anyone else who was there and I've not listed.

Rationale for Trip
A pre-Oakwood add-on to RCCGB Mega-GLOW-Mania 2017, a visit to Folly Farm near Begelly. The itinerary was the same as in 2016 and previous years: (i) the daytime was free for everyone to enjoy the Park amenities at their leisure, (ii) after closing time the day culminated in an exclusive fair session in the Vintage Funfair, including a basket meal in the Funfair Restaurant. For the purposes of Mega-GLOW-Mania 2017, you could think of this visit to Folly Farm as the starter, and the Saturday visit to Oakwood as the main course.

N.B. Any use of "today" or "Friday" hereafter in this report means Friday 11 August 2017. Any use of "Saturday" means Saturday 12 August 2017.

Friday First Thing
The first let-down of the day was the weather! When I got up at 07:30 it was raining outside, and when I checked the Met Office website forecast around 08:40, the latest prediction for Narberth (the nearest town to Folly Farm) was cloudy with 10% chance of precipitation at 10:00, overcast with a 20% chance of precipitation for the successive couple of hours, and light rain early afternoon. Rain was the last thing anyone would want at a place where one would be spending much of the day outside, e.g. visiting the animals in the zoo. At least it looked like I was in with a chance of a dry interlude whilst I intended walking up to Folly Farm just after 10:00, and for an hour or two after my anticipated arrival time. Meanwhile around 08:50 I went to the dining room to enjoy my breakfast, consisting of a choice of cereal (I had cornflakes), a glass of orange juice, a full cooked breakfast, four triangles of toast and a carafe of coffee. That certainly filled me up for the morning!

Folly Farm

Getting to Folly Farm
Since I was staying in Begelly for the second year running, I intended to walk all the way from my hotel to Folly Farm. Thankfully the rain had stopped, by the time I was ready to leave around 10:15. The walk from my hotel to Folly Farm was mostly uphill. When I arrived at Folly Farm just before 10:30 the first thing I noticed was the new visitor entrance, which is in a different location to where visitors were admitted previous years. According to the trip letter, RCCGB members were officially due to enter as a group at 11:00. However Folly Farm was already open and the general public were being admitted. I approached one of the new entrance booths, stated that I was booked on the RCCGB trip, and showed my trip badge, letter and membership card. Without further ado I was admitted. I asked if I was the first member booked on the trip to arrive, the receptionist said I was. Beyond the entrance booths, I had to walk through the new shop to get right into the Park. On my way in I found out from a member of staff that the old entrance and shop have now been converted to staff offices.

Normal Opening Time

The Zoo
Being as it was dry at the time, I headed straight for the zoo, starting with the meerkats and Bactrian camels (which have two humps each). Next I walked up the path in the corner of the zoo where it says "More animals this way". Along this path there is information about deserts around the world. Further on I approached the entrance to the Kifaru Reserve rhino enclosure (which opened in 2016). I walked all the way around the circular path surrounding the rhino enclosure. There is also a building, with a sunken area for the rhino to go inside. In the part of the building open to visitors, there is a mural showing the sizes of various species of rhino. Having left the rhino enclosure, I walked around another path from which I saw various other animals in this area of the zoo. My first sighting of other RCCGB members was Ann Morgan, Stevie Bee and several others near the giant tortoise enclosure around noon. I stopped and spoke to them for a few minutes. They noticed I was wearing my blue Team Bath hoody, made by Surridge, but I pointed out that I was intending to leave it in my hotel room Saturday and wear an old sweatshirt to Oakwood.

Coffee Break
After that I felt like a coffee somewhere in the Park. I went to Carousel Woods Burger Bar, where I had an Americano. The time was around 12:15 when I got there.

The Zoo (continued)
Having finished my coffee it was still dry outside, so I saw the rest of the zoo, starting with the giraffe enclosure in the Motobo Hills (African Reserve) section. The giraffes were being fed, and a member of staff was giving a speech about them when I got there. Next I visited the Penguin Coast area, including the underwater view of the penguins. Afterwards I saw the Pride of Pembrokeshire lion enclosure, which first opened in 2014. This is surrounded by a high fence, with another secondary fence outside it. Information about the lions is available inside the Pride of Pembrokeshire building. Also inside that building is a large window through which visitors can see and photograph the lions without being obscured by the fence wire. Outside there is another large window through which visitors have an unobstructed view of the lions. Other animals I saw elsewhere in the zoo included dwarf mongoose and emus.

Lunch
By 14:00 light rain began falling. In any case I now felt like felt like a light snack, so I went to nearby Carousel Café for something to eat. There I had tuna and salad filled deli bread, plus an Americano. That's all I wanted after my big breakfast earlier.

Follywood
Having finished my lunch I went to the Follywood area across the road. To get there I had to walk through The Jolly Barn and subway. When I got to Follywood, the land train had just gone. Rather than wait at its departure point for the next one, I went into another Follywood attraction, Percy's Piggery.

Percy's Piggery
This Follywood attraction is home to various breeds of pigs. These included Welsh Pig, Saddleback Pig and Mangalitza Pig. Pens extend outside both sides of the building, so that the pigs can go into those external pens. Thus one can see the pigs from outside the building as well as inside, depending on where the pigs are at a given time.

Donkey Enclosure
Another enclosure that can be seen from the area outside Percy's Piggery is the donkey enclosure. A group of donkeys was approaching the fence at the time, so this was the perfect moment for me to photograph them.

To see the rest of Follywood one needs to go for a ride on the Land Train. I got back to its departure point in time for the train which was due to depart at 14:40. Several other people were also waiting for that train.

Land Train
Unlike the Victorian Funfair rides (for which one needs to buy tokens), visitors can ride the Land Train free of charge. The train set off along a rough track, and passed various animals along the way. On the way back, the train took a slightly different route, thereby taking riders past even more animals. Unfortunately the carriages are open sided, so the wind caused a rather cold draught through them.

The Jolly Barn
Back in the main part of the Park, I entered the Jolly Barn. There I saw various farm animals, including sheep, goats, chickens and ponies. In addition, there is a sign showing drawings of farm animals, with the question "Can you draw the animals?" Visitors are allowed to draw the animals on the large chalk board beneath that sign. Having drawn a pig in 2014, a sheep in 2015 and a rabbit in 2016, I tried drawing the chicken this time. Unfortunately the pieces of chalk were damp this time, and I found drawing with damp chalk difficult. Anyway my drawing turned out reasonably well, albeit a bit wider than it should have been. I named my drawing Chicken Licken. I took a photo of my finished drawing and asked someone to photograph me pointing to it. Finally I had my picture taken against the mural which compares the heights of various horses and ponies in hands.

Afternoon Coffee
At 15:55 I went to Cwtch Coffee for a much-needed cappuccino. Having finished my coffee, I walked across to the Victorian Funfair building, whereupon I headed straight for Carousel Woods.

Carousel Woods
A wooden indoor play structure, which adults are allowed to play on. It includes the following facilities:
4-lane Astra slide
Four tube slides
Log ramps and bridges
Multi-level towers; inter-floor access is by log ramps and/or climbing / dropping through holes

I played in Carousel Woods for nearly an hour; from around 16:30 until just before closing time of 17:30. I began by sliding all four Astra slide lanes once each, followed by the spiral tube slide at the back four times. Thereafter I covered all parts of the play area including the bridges, going up and down through the holes between levels in the towers, and sliding the other three tube slides at least twice each.

The tallest tower situated near the front of the play area has three wooden "proper" upper floors (first, second, third) above the ground floor. Each of the said floors has a hole in it, which one can pass through upwards or downwards. In addition a 2-stage log ramp at the edge of the tower links the first floor to the second floor, and another 2-stage log ramp at the edge of the tower links the second floor to the third floor. I went up the ramps at least once, up through the holes at least once and down through the holes at least once. Going downwards through the holes, I went through the hole in the third floor, through the holes in two intermediate levels, through the second floor, through two more intermediate levels, through the first floor and through more intermediate levels to the ground floor. I finished off by sliding all four Astra slide lanes twice each, followed by the spiral tube slide at the back twice.

Altogether a fun way to spend the final hour of normal opening time. My only problem was where to put my rucksack and trainers. Just before I began playing I placed them by one of the structure's access points, and checked them from time to time during my hour on Carousel Woods. There really ought to be lockers nearby for you to put luggage in.

Exclusive Fair Session
Folly Farm closed to the public at 17:30. However for us it was the beginning of the best part of the day, our Exclusive Fair Session (EFS). Just before the EFS began, I put on my RCCGB Fun Night T-shirt (which I originally had printed in March 2016 for the Friday Fun Night of the Blackpool Bash 2016), my fluorescent pink sports shorts and my fluorescent pink football socks. Someone said my socks would be just the thing to wear during the dark ERS on Megafobia Saturday evening. Having changed, I walked across to the Wurlitzer Organ where everyone else was waiting. Around 17:40 it was time to begin riding, starting with the 1937 Coronation Speedway.

1937 Coronation Speedway
Also called Royal Coronation Speedway, this has horses, cars and motorbikes fixed to a circular wooden undulating track. Unlike recent years, all trip attendees were accommodated on this ride in one run. The ride went round and round, up and down. A fun start to the EFS.

1950s Caterpillar Ride
This goes round and round, and due to undulations in the track, it also gives up and down motion. Part way through the ride, the canopy is put over the riders, so the ride resembles a caterpillar racing around the track. Near the end the canopy is removed. Everyone present was accommodated on this ride simultaneously, and thus there was only one run of this ride.

For the next two rides, Jets and Rock n' Roll Waltzer, the Club split into two groups, so that group A could ride Jets whilst group B rode Rock n' Roll Waltzer. The two groups then swapped so group A rode Rock n' Roll Waltzer whilst group B rode Jets.

Jets
I was in the group which rode Jets first. These are mini jet planes at the ends of arms which radiate from a central hub. I sat in plane 8. The operator said I would have to move the lever one way to go up and the other way to go down. When the ride started the planes all went around in a circle. Shortly afterwards I was able to lift my plane with the lever. The extent to which I could raise my plane with the lever varied during the course of the ride; after a while I was able to raise it to the full height. Finally all planes returned to their stationary height before the ride slowed and stopped.

Rock n' Roll Waltzer
Self-explanatory, this is a typical fairground waltzer. Each waltzer has a rock star's face and signature on the back. I rode in waltzer number 2, bearing Elvis on the back.

Ghost Train
This has several individual ride cars, which resemble railway engines, running on a track. The group arrangement did not apply here. Instead members entered and left this ride one by one as trains became available. The trains follow the track through a spooky enclosure. One go consists of one lap of the track. This time I managed to have two goes on this ride, the second of which I was accompanied by Death.

1938 Dodgem Track
Another common funfair ride, the dodgems, aka bumper cars. The group arrangement did not apply here. Instead the cars were filled on a first-come first-served basis. Although I'm not too keen on dodgems at the best of times, I was determined to give it a go. I tried my best at driving my car around the track, but at certain times got into difficulty steering it. I only had one go on the dodgems, however a few members managed to get a second go.

Evening Meal
At 18:20 it was time for dinner at the Funfair Restaurant. When booking we were asked to specify whether we wanted fish and chips, sausage and chips or pasta Bolognese. That didn't necessarily mean everyone stuck with their original choices whilst being served. I had what I'd originally specified: fish and chips. A fizzy drink was also included. As I nearly finished my meal one of the catering staff asked if anyone wanted some of the remaining spare chips, so I went back for more. Nev briefly spoke about Saturday's plans, but there were no speeches from staff members. Consequently it was time to return to riding sooner than I expected, and I felt the need to rush the rest of my extra chips.

At 18:50 everyone returned to riding. Normally I wouldn't go on rides immediately after eating, but this time I wanted to return to riding anyway. Thankfully even the spinning rides at Folly Farm are reasonably suitable for riding immediately after eating, unlike rides such as Disko, swinging pirate ship or Freak Out type rides.

Chair-o-Plane
My first ride after dinner was the Chair-o-Plane. This is basically a carousel with chairs hanging from chains. As the ride spins the chairs are forced outwards on an angle. A gentle, pleasurable ride, that's all I really need to say about this. When the ride ended it took several revolutions to slow down and stop.

1936 Lakin Swirl
Also called the Super Swirl or Lakin Skid, this has waltzer style ride cars with small wheels beneath them. Each car is attached by a pivot to a triangle protruding from the spinning central unit. That results in a rather unusual ride experience; a car rotates as far as it can go in one direction before suddenly being thrown sharply back in the opposite direction. I sat alone in car 4. Once the ride finished a second run was held, primarily for those who had missed out first time around. The remaining seats were filled with members who had already ridden this first time, on a first-come first-served basis. I was lucky enough to get back on for the second run; this time I was in car 7 with Mark Lewis.

Folly Farm's Famous Gallopers
Traditional galloping horses, no further explanation needed. Everyone who wished to ride was accommodated simultaneously. I sat on the horse named Helen.

1950s Cyclone Twist
Everyone should be familiar with this ride. This 1950s model obviously looks a bit primitive compared to the more modern ones you tend to see these days (which most RCCGB members are likely to have ridden somewhere, generally called Twister nowadays). Most members including me got on the first run. I sat in red seat 1 with Herman during the first run. Being as I'd been on this sort of thing plenty of times before elsewhere, I knew what to expect. Just as I expected, this 1950s model gave a ride experience more or less the same as more modern models. Great fun, I still think the Cyclone is one of my favourite non-coaster rides.

Afterwards a second run was held primarily for those who had missed out first time around. The remaining seats were filled with members who had already ridden this first time, on a first-come first-served basis. I was lucky enough to get back on for the second run, this time I sat alone in yellow seat 2.

Brooklyn Cakewalk
Just like the RCCGB visits to Folly Farm in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, the final ride of the evening was the Brooklyn Cakewalk. Finishing the day with this ride seems to have become a tradition now. Members had to be admitted to it one by one with a short gap between each. I was among the first few to approach it and thus get on it. During my first go I successfully walked the whole circuit without touching the rails. There was a strange sensation whilst walking along the moving platform. Perhaps the hardest part was stepping from the first moving platform to the stationary landing at the far end and on to the second moving platform to return to entrance / exit end. Just as riders entered the ride one by one, they left it one by one.

Once I had completed my first go, I joined the back of the queue and didn't have long to wait before it was my turn for a second go. Thereafter the queue for further goes was very short, if at all; I was determined to have as many further goes as possible, even though some had clearly already had enough. I ended up having five further goes on Brooklyn Cakewalk, thereby taking my total count for this session to seven goes. After I had completed my seventh go the ride was closed, thereby marking the end of the EFS.

Summary of my day in order of activity

Daytime

The Zoo
Americano at Carousel Woods Burger Bar
The Zoo (continued)
Lunch at Carousel Café
Percy's Piggery
Donkey Enclosure
Land Train
The Jolly Barn
Cappuccino at Cwtch Coffee
Carousel Woods (almost one hour)

Exclusive Fair Session

1937 Coronation Speedway 1
1950s Caterpillar Ride 1
Jets 1
Rock n' Roll Waltzer 1
Ghost Train 2
1938 Dodgem Track 1

Evening meal at Funfair Restaurant

Chair-o-Plane 1
1936 Lakin Swirl 2
Folly Farm's Famous Gallopers 1
1950s Cyclone Twist 2
Brooklyn Cakewalk 7

Alphabetic Summary Table of EFS Rides

Ride
Total
Brooklyn Cakewalk
7
1950s Caterpillar Ride
1
Chair-o-Plane
1
1937 Coronation Speedway
1
1950s Cyclone Twist
2
1938 Dodgem Track
1
Folly Farm's Famous Gallopers
1
Ghost Train
2
Jets
1
1936 Lakin Swirl
2
Rock n' Roll Waltzer
1
TOTAL
20

Rest of Friday
When the EFS ended, the day was over and we all had to return to the car park. The sky was still overcast when everyone left the funfair building, but thankfully it was dry. Mark and Margo kindly gave me a lift back to Manian Lodge. Having arrived there at 19:58 I relaxed in my room the rest of the evening.

Outro

Highlights
Land train ride mid-afternoon.
Playing on Carousel Woods indoor play structure late afternoon.
Evening Exclusive Fair Session on the Vintage Funfair rides.
Evening meal in the Funfair Restaurant.
Meeting Nev and Christine, Herman, Ann Morgan, Mark and Margo Lewis, Stevie Bee and other members again.

Lowlights
Disappointing weather – overcast all day and somewhat chilly for August.
Having to leave my rucksack and trainers unattended near Carousel Woods whilst playing on the structure due to lack of lockers.

Summing Up
Altogether a worthwhile appetiser to Mega-GLOW-Mania at Oakwood. I particularly enjoyed playing on Carousel Woods indoor play structure for nearly an hour late afternoon. Best of all was the EFS after 17:30: a few vintage rides, a meal, and more vintage rides ending with the Brooklyn Cakewalk. Wearing my self-designed black RCCGB Fun Night T-shirt, fluorescent pink shorts and fluorescent pink football socks just for that part of the day added to the fun of the EFS. Furthermore it was great meeting Nev and Christine, Herman, Ann Morgan, Mark and Margo Lewis, Stevie Bee and other members again. Basically the visit to Folly Farm can be summed up as a leisurely day around the farm, zoo and other attractions, culminating in a spin on the vintage rides early evening, as a warm-up to Oakwood the day after. The biggest let-down was the weather; it's a pity the sky was overcast all day and it was a bit chilly for August. Fortunately it stayed dry until around 14:00, thereby giving me enough time to see most of the zoo during that dry spell. Many thanks to Andy Hine for arranging this trip, including EFS, to Folly Farm; I hope it continues as part of Mega-GLOW-Mania next year and beyond. Thanks also to the ride staff for operating the rides and caterers for providing the meal after closing time, and to Mark and Margo for giving me a lift back to my hotel in the evening.

Finally Folly Farm's special mention of the RCCGB is available here

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment