Monday 6 March 2017

Nemesis Nick at Funland 15 Oct 2016 Midi Report

Date: Saturday 15 October 2016
Venue: Funland, Hayling Island
Who Went: Just me

N.B. Any use of "today" or "Saturday" in this report means Saturday 15 October 2016.

Rationale for Trip
After my birthday outing to Thorpe Park and RCCGB Loopathon day 2 at Drayton Manor Park, I fancied a last-minute bonus coaster trip to Funland Hayling Island one Saturday in what remained of October 2016. For various reasons I chose to go Saturday 15 October 2016.

Getting to Funland
I got up early to catch the 07:36 train from Bath Spa to Southampton Central, followed by the 09:13 train to Havant, and finally the 10:15 bus to Beachlands, Hayling Island. When I reached Funland at 10:38, I went to Beachlands Cafeteria, next-door to Funland, for a much-needed mug of coffee and flapjack.

Funland, Hayling Island

Morning Riding
Having left Beachlands Café I entered Funland and bought myself an all-day wristband. A notice stated that Drop tower was out of action. I also spotted several changes since my last visit in 2014, including:
·         Klondike was no longer there; in its place was the new-for-2016 coaster Runaway Mine Train.
·         Flying Saucer had been relocated within the park.
·         Sid's sizzling snake slides (a pair of spiral tube slides) had been added.
·         Helter Skelter was no longer there.

Once fitted with my wristband I immediately took to the rides, starting with Runaway Mine Train. This mouse coaster, which operated at Gulliver's Warrington as Wild Mine Ride from 1999 to 2015, was new to Funland for 2016. Although its ride cars are truck-like, the ride experience was similar to other steel mouse coasters. For now I only had one go. My first non-coaster ride of the day was Cannibal Pots, which is similar to a tea cup ride, but with cauldrons instead of cups. Although a fun ride, once was enough for now.

The present identity of the Super Dragon Roller Coaster is currently unclear, because the Roller Coaster Database now lists this coaster as Funlandasaurus (with Super Dragon as a former name up to 2015), but the Funland website still lists this as Super Dragon Roller Coaster, and the Funland staff still call it Super Dragon. Furthermore the name on the front of the platform used to be Super Dragon, but is now Funlandasaurus. Anyway I enjoyed one go on this coaster. Next I enjoyed riding Samba Balloon, Cyclone, Woody's Coaster and Extreme once each. Having now ridden several of the rides once each, it was time to re-ride some of what I'd already ridden. I enjoyed one go on Cannibal Pots, two goes on Runaway Mine Train and one go on Woody's Coaster.

Sid's sizzling snake slides are another addition to Funland since my 2014 visit. Since adults are allowed to go on these tube slides, I was eager to try them out. I enjoyed one go on the orange slide followed by one go on the green slide. Finally I rode Funlandasaurus (Super Dragon) and Cyclone once each before lunch.

Lunchtime and After
Around 13:20 went to Beachlands Café to have beans on toast and a mug of coffee for lunch. Afterwards I went for a walk along the beach in an easterly direction, and across the grassland east of Funland.

Afternoon Riding
Around 14:15 I returned to Funland and without further ado returned to riding. I began by riding Funlandasaurus (Super Dragon), Runaway Mine Train and Woody's Coaster once each. Having now ridden all three coasters once each in succession, I donned my all-in-one splashsuit and enjoyed four goes on Beaver Creek Log Ride (the large log flume) without getting wet. I had to disembark and wait for another vacant log each time, but thankfully the wait was minimal if at all each time. Afterwards I had two goes straight off on Dino Falls (formerly Blizzard Falls Log Flume until my last visit to Funland in October 2014), without having to disembark between goes. Although this is just a mini log flume it's still great fun. Having left Dino Falls, I removed my splashsuit and went to Seaview Fish and Chips for a much-needed coffee.

Meanwhile back outside, it started to rain, and it gradually became heavier. Never mind, I put my splashsuit back on and continued riding until closing time. Unsurprisingly the park became rather quiet during my remaining time there. Anyway, I enjoyed riding Extreme, Cyclone, Flying Saucer and Cannibal Pots once each, followed by Runaway Mine Train twice. Afterwards I enjoyed another go on Cyclone, followed by two goes on Dino Falls and one go on Samba Balloon. Finally I had just enough time for one last go on Cyclone (its final run of the day) before the rides closed at 17:00.

Summary of day in order of activity

Coffee and flapjack at Beachlands Cafeteria

Runaway Mine Train 1
Cannibal Pots 1
Funlandasaurus (Super Dragon) 1
Samba Balloon 1
Cyclone 1
Woody's Coaster 1
Extreme 1
Cannibal Pots 1
Runaway Mine Train 2
Woody's Coaster 1
Sid's sizzling snake slides: orange 1
Sid's sizzling snake slides: green 1
Funlandasaurus (Super Dragon) 1
Cyclone 1

Lunch at Beachlands Cafeteria
Walk along beach and grassland

Funlandasaurus (Super Dragon) 1
Runaway Mine Train 1
Woody's Coaster 1
Beaver Creek Log Ride 4
Dino Falls 2

Coffee at Seaview Fish and Chips

Extreme 1
Cyclone 1
Flying Saucer 1
Cannibal Pots 1
Runaway Mine Train 2
Cyclone 1
Dino Falls 2
Samba Balloon 1
Cyclone 1

Cumulative Summary of Rides

Ride
Total
Beaver Creek Log Ride
4
Cannibal Pots
3
Cyclone
5
Dino Falls
4
Extreme
2
Flying Saucer
1
Funlandasaurus (Super Dragon)
3
Runaway Mine Train
6
Samba Balloon
2
Sid's sizzling snake slides: green
1
Sid's sizzling snake slides: orange
1
Woody's Coaster
3
TOTAL
35

Journey Home
After the rides closed I caught the 17:08 bus from Beachlands to Havant Bus Station. Having arrived there at 17:34, I bought takeaway cod and large chips from Havant Fish Bar before catching the 18:00 train from Havant to Bath Spa. I ate my takeaway when I got on the train. I finally reached Bath Spa at 20:12 and home a few minutes later.

Outro

Highlights
High overall ride count.
Adding Runaway Mine Train to my coaster count.
Sliding Sid's sizzling snake slides for the first time ever.
Riding Sid's Woody's Roller Coaster, Funlandasaurus, both log flumes and other rides again.
Rides mostly walk-on; the few queues that did occur were very short.

Lowlights
Drop tower was out of action all day.
Rain late afternoon.

Summing Up
Altogether a coaster crazy day at Funland, Hayling Island my final send-off to the 2016 coaster season. Although a small park, I enjoyed riding three roller coasters, two log flumes, five other rides and two tube slides. It was definitely worthwhile me travelling from Bath to Hayling Island and back in one day just to visit such a small park. It was great adding Runaway Mine Train to my coaster count, sliding Sid's sizzling snake slides for the first time ever and riding the other rides again. Just one point about the three coasters (Runaway Mine Train, Woody's Roller Coaster, Funlandasaurus), they're all steel. Come on Funland, get some wood! It's a pity the Drop tower was out of action all day, and therefore I missed out on one of the best rides in the park, but never mind. Thankfully it was sunny most of the day, it's a pity it started raining late afternoon, but nonetheless that didn't deter me from riding during what was left of opening time. The park was rather quiet all day, presumably because it was mid-October. That often meant I was the only person wanting to go on a particular ride, and the few queues that did occur were very short. The upshot of this was that I managed to get a high overall ride count.

More about my day at Funland available here

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment