Tuesday 27 October 2015

RCCGB Mega-GLOW-Mania Weekend 2015

Date: Friday 7 August to Sunday 9 August 2015
Venues: Folly Farm, Oakwood Theme Park, Heatherton World of Activities
Who Went: Me and a large number of other RCCGB members, including Andy and Christine Hine, Andy T, Death, Doug and Charlie Turner, Mark and Margo Lewis, Planenut, Ryan Hackett, Smiler, Wendy Evans.

DISCLAIMER: The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of everyone who attended. It's a small sample of attendees; mainly those I spoke to and/or rode with at Folly Farm and/or Oakwood. I sincerely apologise to anyone I've not listed. Not everyone (whether or not listed above) attended all three Parks.

Introduction
The Club's annual visit to rural Pembrokeshire, primarily to visit Oakwood Theme Park. Just like in 2013 and 2014, the Oakwood visit was on Saturday when the Park was open to the public until 22:00, thereby enabling the Club to intend to end the day with its traditional dark ERS on Megafobia. Add-ons to Oakwood were Folly Farm near Kilgetty on Friday (including exclusive use of the Vintage Funfair and a cooked meal after closing time), and Heatherton World of Activities on Sunday. Just like last year, I attended Folly Farm and Oakwood, but for various reasons gave Heatherton a miss.

To make the rest of this report easier to read, I've split it into sections. Click the applicable link below to jump to the section you want to read:
Thursday 6 August
Friday 7 August
Saturday 8 August
Sunday 9 August
Outro

Enjoy my report at your leisure.

Thursday 6 August

Getting to Kilgetty
For me the weekend began with a train journey from Bath Spa to Kilgetty. I caught the 13:13 train from Bath Spa to Bristol Temple Meads, followed by the 13:46 train to Bristol Parkway, and from there the 14:08 train to Swansea. From Swansea I caught the 16:00 train bound for Pembroke Docks. As soon as I boarded that train I faced a dilemma: whether to go all the way to Kilgetty and get an evening meal there, or break my journey at Carmarthen and get dinner there somewhere before resuming my journey to Kilgetty later.

When the train reached Carmarthen at 16:59 I broke my journey to get an evening meal there. Initially I went for a walk around the town centre. Around 17:50 I went to Yr Hen Dderwen (Wetherspoon) for dinner. Since it was Curry Club night I decided to have a Curry Club meal. I chose large Chicken Jalfrezi curry, which included a portion of rice, a portion of mango chutney, one onion bhaji, one vegetable samosa, one naan bread and two puppodums. A drink was also included; I had a pint of John Smiths. For a supplementary fee I added British Bramley apple crumble with custard to my Curry Club deal for dessert.

Having left Yr Hen Dderwen I returned to the station in time for the 19:03 train to Kilgetty. I finally reached Kilgetty at 19:39. Once there I walked straight to the guest house I had booked to stay for three nights, checked in and relaxed in my room the rest of the evening.

Back to the top

Friday 7 August

Friday First Thing
Having awoke at 7:30 I had breakfast at 8:40 consisting of a choice of cereal, glass of orange juice, full traditional breakfast, four triangles of toast and a cafetiere of coffee.

Daytime
Having left the guest house where I was staying I walked to the centre of Kilgetty. When I got to the Co-op I considered whether to catch the bus, or walk the rest of the way, to Folly Farm. After some thought I caught the Haverfordwest bus which stopped outside Folly Farm around 10:15. Folly Farm was already open and the public were being admitted. The RCCGB was officially due to enter as a group at 11:00. I showed the receptionist my trip letter, badge and RCCGB membership card, and explained that I was on the trip. Another member of staff had to check the arrangements for paying, but when he returned I was admitted without further problems.

I began in the area across the road known as Follywood. There I saw various breeds of pig in Percy's Piggery, and had one go on the land train which followed a track past various animals. Back in the main part of the Park, I entered the Jolly Barn where I drew a sheep on the large chalk board on which visitors are welcome to draw farm animals.

Since it was currently dry and sunny, I headed for the zoo next and saved the indoor attractions for later, just in case the weather deteriorated. In the zoo I began with the giraffe enclosure. Near there I met Wendy Evans after midday. We spoke to each other for a bit and together saw the Penguin Coast area. Afterwards I saw the lions and emus. After a light snack (filled deli bread and a cup of coffee) at Carousel Café, I saw the rest of the animals around the zoo, including Bactrian camels, African spurred tortoise, red river hog, ostriches, reindeer and the African Aviary. Having left the zoo I had a whippy ice cream from an ice cream kiosk.

Late afternoon I walked around the Jolly Barn seeing farm animals including ponies, sheep and goats. Around 16:30 I enjoyed playing on all parts of Carousel Woods indoor play structure until closing time of 17:30, including the 4-lane Bumper Slide, tube slides and multi-level towers. A fun way to round off normal opening time.

Exclusive Fair Session
The Park officially closed at 17:30. For us the best was yet to follow: our Exclusive Fair Session in the Vintage Funfair. Together we rode the 1937 Coronation Speedway, 1950s Caterpillar Ride, Rock n' Roll Waltzer, Jets and Ghost Train once each. This was followed by three runs of the 1938 Dodgem Track; some members managed to be accommodated on more than one run. I had one go on the dodgems solo and one go as a passenger with Nev driving.

It was now time for dinner in the Funfair Restaurant. Members had fish and chips, sausage and chips or veggie burger and chips (specified when booking this trip); I had fish and chips. Nev also gave a speech. After dinner we had more rides: 1936 Lakin Swirl, Chair-o-Plane, Folly Farm's Famous Gallopers and 1950s Cyclone Twist once each (however some including me were lucky enough to get two goes on Cyclone Twist). To round off the EFS we had the chance to walk the Brooklyn Cakewalk; I managed four goes.

Alphabetic Summary Table of EFS Rides

Ride
Total
Brooklyn Cakewalk
4
1950s Caterpillar Ride
1
Chair-o-Plane
1
1937 Coronation Speedway
1
1950s Cyclone Twist
2
1938 Dodgem Track
2
Folly Farm's Famous Gallopers
1
Ghost Train
1
Jets
1
1936 Lakin Swirl
1
Rock n' Roll Waltzer
1
TOTAL
16

Rest of Friday
Once the EFS ended at 20:11, the day was over and we all had to return to the car park. Since I was staying in Kilgetty this time I walked back; doing so took me just over 20 minutes. Back in my room I relaxed the rest of the evening.

Altogether a worthwhile appetiser to Mega-Glow-Mania at Oakwood. I particularly enjoyed playing on Carousel Woods indoor play structure for about an hour late afternoon. Best of all was after 17:30: a few vintage rides, a meal, and more vintage rides ending with the Brooklyn Cakewalk. Basically the visit to Folly Farm can be summed up as a leisurely day around the farm, zoo and other attractions, culminating in a spin on the vintage rides early evening, as a warm-up to Oakwood the day after. Furthermore the weather was quite good; sunny from first thing until mid-afternoon, cloudy for a couple of hours and sunny again rom late afternoon until dusk. At least it was dry all day. Many thanks to Nev for arranging this day, including EFS, at Folly Farm. Thanks also to the ride operators for running the rides for us, and caterers for providing the meal, after normal closing time.

More about Friday at Folly Farm available here

Back to the top

Saturday 8 August

Saturday First Thing
I had an early breakfast at 8:15, which consisted of cereal, a glass of orange juice, beans on toast and a cafetiere of coffee. Just after 8:30 Mark and Margo arrived to give me a lift to Oakwood.

Welcome to Oakwood
When Mark, Margo and I arrived, several other members were already waiting outside the front of Oakwood. A few minutes later it was time for everyone to enter the Park. Nev gave a short speech before everyone entered.

Morning ERS
The day began with a one hour ERS on Oakwood's famous wooden coaster Megafobia During this hour I enjoyed five goes; I sat next to Smiler on one go and Planenut on another go.

Morning Free Time
When the ERS ended, members dispersed around Oakwood. I rode Megafobia once more, thinking it would be my sixth go during the ERS, but the attendant said the ERS had now finished and this was the first train of normal time. After this go I wasn't intending to ride Megafobia again until the evening ERS. Little did I know at this moment that the evening ERS would not happen! Next I enjoyed four goes on Treetops Coaster followed by two goes on Speed. After a short break I enjoyed two goes on the drop tower Bounce, followed by one go on Teacups.

After that I went to The Little Darlings' Café in Neverland for a much-needed coffee. As I was nearing the end of my coffee Nev and Wendy Evans entered. I spoke to them inside and just outside the café. After that I had one go on Tink's Flying School, two goes on Crocodile Coaster (both of which were in the back row) and one more go on Tink's Flying School.

Baseball
Around 13:30 the Club gathered on the field at the front of the Park for baseball. When I got there some people were already practising. Nev asked all those who wanted to play to get into one of two teams, Woodies and Steelies. I played for Woodies. As usual Nev played on the Woodies team. Both sides batted and fielded twice each. The final score was Woodies 415 Steelies 10.

Afternoon and Evening Free Time
After the baseball ended, members returned to the camp site for a rest or returned to the Park. Back in the Park, I went to The Little Darlings' Café for a hot dog and Sprite. My first ride after the baseball was one go on Oakwood Aerodrome. Next I donned my all-in-one splashsuit to have one go on Drenched. However, I didn't bother standing on the bridge afterwards to watch a later boat land (unlike Mega-GLOW-Mania 2012 and 2013). Having removed my splashsuit I returned to Neverland to ride Neverland Chase and Crocodile Coaster once each.

Next I enjoyed both Waterfall slides once each (left slide followed by right slide, as seen from the top). On both goes I sailed across the landing pool without keeling over. Afterwards I was hoping to ride all four Snake River Falls slides once each in sequence. Unfortunately only the outer tube slides Cobra and Python were in use; the two open-top ones in the middle were closed. Presumably that explained why the queues for both Cobra and Python were quite long. Anyway I enjoyed one go on Cobra followed by one go on Python. I wore my splashsuit to prevent me getting wet whilst on Waterfall and Snake River Falls.

Next I enjoyed one go on Bobsleigh. Since its normal queue line was being rebuilt a temporary queue line was in operation. Whilst waiting I met Andy T, he rode behind me. Riding this on a dry, sunny evening was much better and easier than in the wet conditions during Mega-GLOW-Mania 2014. After that Andy T and I headed for the Boating Lake; we went on one of the pedaloes together. Pedalling once around the lake was quite hard going. Afterwards Andy T and I headed into Neverland. He looked after my rucksack whilst I enjoyed two goes on Skull Rock log flume. Unsurprisingly I wore my splashsuit to prevent me getting wet on Skull Rock. Having removed my splashsuit Andy T and I rode Tink's Flying School once; I sat in one plane, whereas he sat in another.

Next I explored Lost Boys' Adventure in Neverland. This includes three tube slides set in a mound; I went down the blue, red and yellow slides once each. Afterwards I had one go on Oakwood Aerodrome, followed by four goes on Moon Landing drop slide. Having left Moon Landing, Nev and others challenged me to ride Waterfall. Before they could stop me, I grabbed my splashsuit from my rucksack and put it on when I reached the top of the stairs. Once ready I went down both slides once each (right slide followed by left slide, as seen from the top). Having removed my splashsuit and collected my rucksack, I headed for Speed. Its queue was longer than I'd have liked, but I waited, and enjoyed one go. Unexpectedly this turned out to be my final ride of the day!

Power Failure
After leaving Speed, I fancied a go on Treetops Coaster. When I got there I discovered the power had just gone off park-wide. Feeling hungry I hurried to Woody's Burger Bar, and asked they had any burgers or fries cooked and ready to serve, only to be told they couldn't sell them as their tills were down!

Obviously most rides could not operate without electricity. The only rides still open were the pedaloes (which are self-propelled by riders) and Moon Landing drop slide. Furthermore the stage was silent as the band could not perform without power. RCCGB members and the general public wondered what would happen next. I hoped the power would be restored as soon as possible in order to get something to eat from Woody's Burger Bar.

At 20:58 the stage lights suddenly came on. Momentarily I thought the power had been restored, but the stage performer said the power was still down. He started singing to keep people amused whilst the power was still down. The band must have been using a generator to power the stage lights and sound system. As it began getting dark Moon Landing drop slide was closed due to insufficient light at the launch point.

Firework Display
The rides were originally intended to be in operation until around 21:45, and the After Dark fireworks display of and lights, set to music, was due to take place around 21:50. Just after 21:30 the band ceased performing, and the firework display took place early. Despite the power cut, they were still able to let off the fireworks and have accompanying music. However there was a pause in the fireworks mid-way through; presumably that was to be filled with lights and lasers which didn't appear.

After Fireworks
When the fireworks ended, people were told to leave slowly and carefully due to the street lights not working. RCCGB members including me waited near the entrance to Megafobia for further instructions. Without mains power it was impossible to run Megafobia for the ERS, which was to include party music and disco lights. Nonetheless several members had already activated glow sticks.

Around 21:45 Nev formally announced that it was necessary to cancel the ERS. He said this was the first time since 1996 the evening Megafobia ERS has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. At this point most members left the Park. Since Mark and Margo were taking me back to Kilgetty, I waited with Margo near Megafobia entrance whilst Mark collected his disco lights from the station. Suddenly lights came on around the Park, and a recurring audio announcement on Bobsleigh could be heard. Evidently the power had been restored! Sadly it was now too late to recall everyone and have the ERS after all.

Cumulative Summary of My Rides (ERSs and Freetime Combined)

Ride
Total
Boating Lake
1
Bobsleigh
1
Bounce
2
Crocodile Coaster
3
Drenched
1
Megafobia
6
Moon Landing
4
Neverland Chase
1
Oakwood Aerodrome
2
Skull Rock
2
Snake River Falls: Cobra
1
Snake River Falls: Python
1
Speed
3
Teacups
1
Tink's Flying School
3
Treetops Coaster
4
Waterfall left slide
2
Waterfall right slide
2
TOTAL
40

Rest of Saturday
Back at the car park, Mark and Margo gave me a lift to Kilgetty. Along the way they took me into Narberth so I could get something to eat somewhere. I managed to get takeaway chips with cheese from a kebab shop just before its closing time, and consumed them on the way back to Kilgetty. After our final goodbyes I returned to my room, about an hour earlier than expected!

Altogether a mega fun day at Oakwood. It's a pity the power cut forced the dark ERS on Megafobia to be cancelled, but it's important to stress that neither the RCCGB nor Oakwood were to blame for that. The rest of the day was as amazing as it could be; the Club still had its morning ERS on Megafobia and its baseball game lunchtime. I particularly enjoyed riding the four roller coasters I was able to ride (Megafobia, Treetops Coaster, Speed, Crocodile Coaster). It was also great adding the Boating Lake (pedalo boats) to my ride count, and riding many non-coaster rides again (e.g. Bounce, Drenched and Waterfall) which I've ridden previously. Furthermore it was great meeting Nev, Doug and Charlie, Mark and Margo, Wendy Evans and others again. Finally the weather was excellent; dry and sunny all day, a vast improvement on the wet weather from mid-afternoon onwards last year. Many thanks to Nev for organising this trip to Oakwood, the staff for running Megafobia before opening time, and to Mark and Margo for kindly giving me lifts from Kilgetty to Oakwood in the morning and back in the evening.

More about Saturday at Oakwood available here

Back to the top

Sunday 9 August

Introduction
The final day of Mega-Glow-Mania weekend 2015. Mid-morning some members met at Heatherton World of Activities to enjoy go-karting and/or other activities available there. Nev even arranged an EGS (exclusive go-kart session) for those interested; according to the trip invitation it was billed to run from 10.00 to 11.30. For various reasons I gave Heatherton a miss. The following outlines how I spent Sunday.

Sunday First Thing
Having awoke I got ready, packed my belongings and had breakfast around 8:30. I had the same selection as Friday morning including a full cooked breakfast. I enjoyed it at a more relaxed pace than Friday and Saturday.

From Kilgetty to Swansea
I reached Kilgetty station around 11:15, intending to catch the 11:26 train to Carmarthen. Since Kilgetty is a request stop, I had to signal to the driver for the train to stop. Having reached Carmarthen I caught the 12:24 train to Swansea, and got there at 13:16. Once there I walked straight to Swansea LC.

Swansea LC Water Park
I reached the LC reception around 13:50. Unlike last year, I was able to get in straightaway this time, so I bought a ticket for the session starting at 14:15. Without further ado I proceeded to the changing rooms where I managed to find a tall locker big enough to contain my large holdall, rucksack and laptop bag.

I was in the pool area from 14:15 to 16:27, during which time I enjoyed sixteen goes on the Aqua Tube (closed narrow tube slide) and five goes on the Aqua Slide (wide open top slide). Best of all I enjoyed three goes on the Master Blaster roller coaster water slide, which is my highest number on that to-date for one visit to Swansea LC. However I didn't go in the Wave Pool or Lazy River at all this visit, as I wanted to have as many slides as I could. Altogether a wet and wild way to round off Mega-Glow-Mania weekend.

Cumulative summary of slides:

Slide
Total
Aqua Slide
5
Aqua Tube
16
Master Blaster
3
TOTAL
24

More about Sunday afternoon at Swansea LC Water Park available here

Evening Meal
Around 17:00 I went to The Bank Statement (Wetherspoons) hoping to have a Sunday Club Meal, but unfortunately they had run out of those earlier. After a quick look at the menu for alternatives, I chose faggots, chips and peas with gravy for main course, waffle with ice cream and maple syrup for dessert and half a Heineken to drink. Altogether a delicious evening meal to round off my weekend in Wales.

Journey Home
Having left The Bank Statement (Wetherspoons) I returned to the station with time to spare for the 18:24 London Paddington train. I reached Bristol Parkway at 20:35 to discover that the 20:57 train to Bristol Temple Meads was cancelled. Consequently I caught the 21:21 Plymouth train to Bristol Temple Meads. Thankfully when I got to Bristol Temple Meads at 21:37 I had just a few minutes to get on the next train to Bath Spa, which left Bristol Temple Meads at 21:47 and reached Bath Spa at 22:01.

Back to the top

Outro

Highlights
Three nights' B&B in Kilgetty, including the delicious filling breakfasts.
Visiting Folly Farm and Oakwood for the fourth year running.
Playing on Carousel Woods indoor play structure late afternoon Friday.
Exclusive Fair Session on the Vintage Funfair rides plus cooked meal in the Funfair Restaurant Friday evening.
Saturday morning ERS on Megafobia before Oakwood opened to the public.
Riding four coasters (Megafobia, Treetops Coaster, Speed, Crocodile Coaster) and various non-coaster rides again Saturday.
Adding the Boating Lake (pedalo boats) to my ride count Saturday.
Fireworks accompanied by music just after 21:30 Saturday evening.
Meeting Nev, Andy T, Doug and Charlie, Mark and Margo, Planenut, Ryan Hackett, Wendy Evans and other members again.
Dry and mostly sunny weather Friday, and beautiful dry, sunny weather from dawn to dusk Saturday.
Sliding the Aqua Tube and Aqua Slide at Swansea LC Sunday afternoon.
Three goes on Master Blaster roller coaster water slide at Swansea LC Sunday afternoon, my highest number to-date for a single visit.

Lowlights
Having to leave my rucksack and trainers in an alcove near Carousel Woods whilst playing on Carousel Woods Friday late afternoon due to lack of lockers.
Power failure around 20:40 Saturday evening which eventually forced the dark ERS on Megafobia to be cancelled.

Summing Up
Altogether fun-packed long weekend away. It was great to visit Folly Farm and Oakwood for the fourth year running and thus ride many of their rides (particularly Oakwood's Megafobia) again. Many thanks again to Nev for arranging the trips to Folly Farm and Oakwood (also Heatherton for those who went), and to Mark and Margo for kindly giving me lifts from Kilgetty to Oakwood and back on Saturday.

Mega-Glow-Mania weekend 2015 can be likened to a three-course meal as follows:
Starter: Folly Farm on Friday
Main course: Oakwood on Saturday
Dessert: Heatherton (or in my case Swansea LC) on Sunday

One other bit of trivia worth mentioning: I went down at least one slide of some sort Friday, Saturday and Sunday as follows:
Friday: Carousel Woods Bumper Slide and tube slides at Folly Farm.
Saturday: Moon Landing drop slide and Lost Boys' Adventure tube slides at Oakwood.
Sunday: Aqua Tube, Aqua Slide and Master Blaster water slides at Swansea LC Water Park.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment