Wednesday 3 September 2014

RCCGB Mega-GLOW-Mania Weekend 2014

Date: Friday 8 August to Sunday 10 August 2014
Venues: Folly Farm, Oakwood Theme Park, Heatherton World of Activities
Who Went: Me and a large number of other RCCGB members, including Andy Hine, Alan Chilvers, Doug, Charlie and Lizzie, Happy Helen, Ianto Gulliver, Mark and Margo, Matt Walker, Planenut, Ryan Hackett, Sophia Jones.

DISCLAIMER: The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of everyone who attended. It's a small sample of attendees; mainly those I spoke to and/or rode with at Folly Farm and/or Oakwood. I sincerely apologise to anyone I've not listed. Not everyone (whether or not listed above) attended all three Parks.

Introduction
The Club's annual visit to rural Pembrokeshire, primarily to visit Oakwood Theme Park. Just like in 2013, the Oakwood visit was on Saturday when the Park was open to the public until 22:00, thereby enabling us to end the day with the traditional dark ERS on Megafobia. Add-ons to Oakwood were Folly Farm near Kilgetty on Friday (including exclusive use of the Vintage Funfair after closing time), and Heatherton World of Activities on Sunday. Just like last year, I attended Folly Farm and Oakwood, but for various reasons gave Heatherton a miss. In preparation for this trip, I had the slogan "Coaster Crazy Kid on Tour!" printed on the back of a pink hi-vis jacket at T-Shirt Print, Bristol, and bought fluorescent pink and fluorescent yellow sports shorts from Sports Direct, Bath.

To make the rest of this report easier to read, I've split it into sections. Click the applicable link below to jump to the section you want to read:

Thursday 7 August
Day 1 - Friday 8 August
Day 2 - Saturday 9 August
Day 3 - Sunday 10 August
Outro

Enjoy my report at your leisure.

Thursday 7 August

Getting To Tenby
For me the weekend began with a train journey from Bath Spa to Tenby, which unfortunately was plagued with problems from the start. The 13:36 train from Bath Spa to Newport, on which I had an Advance ticket Bath Spa to Swansea, was late leaving Bath, and hence late into Newport. Thus I missed the 14:31 Newport to Swansea train which I was due to catch next. Fortunately I was able to continue my journey on the 14:53 Arriva train from Newport to Swansea, which got to Swansea at 16:17. Consequently I missed the 16:00 train to Tenby which I originally hoped to catch, and which would have got me to Tenby at 17:45 (that one would have been ideal as I would have checked into my hotel and got a pub meal in Tenby around 19:00). Although I had a separate flexible Swansea to Tenby ticket, and thus didn't have to worry about catching a specific onward train, the next train to Tenby was due to leave Swansea at 18:09 and reach Tenby at 19:52. I was concerned it might be a bit late to get a meal in Tenby then.

Instead I caught the 16:40 Milford Haven train, and got off at Carmarthen at 17:27, hoping to have a meal there. I went to Yr Hen Dderwen (Wetherspoon), where I enjoyed Welsh dragon sausages and mash, followed by Belgian waffle with ice cream and maple syrup. Altogether a delicious meal. Afterwards I returned to Carmarthen station with time to spare for the 19:02 train to Tenby. Having finally reached Tenby at 19:52, I checked into The Myrtle House Hotel where I stayed three nights.

Thursday Evening
Having checked in, dusk wasn't far off, so I went for a walk along the South Beach whilst it was still light. Since it was low tide I was able to walk to St Catherine's Island, but it was closed at the time. By 21:00 I was back in my room and relaxed the rest of the evening.

Back to the top

Day 1 - Friday 8 August

Friday First Thing
Having awoke at 7:00 I had breakfast at the normal time of 8:00 consisting of cereal, a glass of orange juice, full traditional breakfast, four triangles of toast and a cafetiere of coffee.

Daytime
I left the hotel at 9:25 and caught the 9:40 Haverfordwest bus which stopped outside Folly Farm around 10:15. Folly Farm was already open and the public were being admitted. The RCCGB was officially due to enter as a group at 11:00. I showed the receptionist my RCCGB membership card and explained that I was booked on the RCCGB trip here, but had forgotten my letter and trip badge. The receptionist found my name on the list and admitted me no problem.

I began in the area across the road known as Follywood. There I saw various breeds of pig in Percy's Piggery, and had one go on the land train which followed a track past various animals. Back in the main part of the Park, I entered the Jolly Barn where I drew a pig on the large chalk board on which visitors are welcome to draw farm animals.

Since it was currently dry and sunny, I headed for the zoo next and saved indoor attractions for later, just in case the weather deteriorated later. In the zoo I saw giraffes and zebras, Common Squirrel Monkeys and the new-for-2014 lion enclosure Pride of Pembrokeshire. My first sighting of other RCCGB members was in the area between Pride of Pembrokeshire and Penguin Coast around 12:50, when I met Nev, Debra Boggis and Planenut. Afterwards I walked around the Penguin Coast area.

After a light snack (filled deli bread and a cup of coffee) at Carousel Café, I saw the rest of the animals around the zoo, including emus, red river hog, reindeer and cusimanse, Tapir Territory (a lake populated by tapir birds), Bactrian camels and the Pride of Pembrokeshire lion enclosure again. Having left the zoo I had a whippy ice cream from an ice cream kiosk, followed by one go on the Pembrokeshire Wheel.

Late afternoon I had a cappuccino at Coffee Shop. Afterwards I walked around the Jolly Barn seeing sheep and lambs, goats and goat kids, bronze turkeys, pigs, a shire horse and miniature ponies. Just after 16:30 I enjoyed playing on all parts of Carousel Woods indoor play structure until closing time of 17:30, including the 4-lane Bumper Slide, tube slides and multi-level towers. A fun way to round off normal opening time.

Exclusive Fair Session
The Park officially closed at 17:30. For us the best was yet to follow: our Exclusive Fair Session in the Vintage Funfair. Together we rode the 1950s Caterpillar Ride, Jets, 1937 Coronation Speedway, Rock n' Roll Waltzer, Ghost Train and 1938 Dodgem Track once each (a few but not me were lucky enough to have two goes on Dodgem Track).

After a meal in the Funfair Restaurant we had a few more rides: 1936 Lakin Swirl, Chair-o-Plane, Folly Farm's Famous Gallopers and 1950s Cyclone Twist once each (however some including me were lucky enough to get two goes on Cyclone Twist). To round off the EFS we had the chance to walk the Brooklyn Cakewalk; I managed three goes. I wore my pink hi-vis jacket for the last few rides (Gallopers onwards) and several other members liked it.

Alphabetic Summary Table of EFS Rides

Ride
Total
Brooklyn Cakewalk
3
1950s Caterpillar Ride
1
Chair-o-Plane
1
1937 Coronation Speedway
1
1950s Cyclone Twist
2
1938 Dodgem Track
1
Folly Farm's Famous Gallopers
1
Ghost Train
1
Jets
1
1936 Lakin Swirl
1
Rock n' Roll Waltzer
1
TOTAL
14

Rest Of Friday
When the ERS ended everyone returned to the car park. Andy gave me a lift to my hotel in Tenby. A little later I went to get myself an ice cream from Fecci's Ice Cream Parlour, and sat in the Paragon garden to eat it. Back in my room I got what I needed ready for Saturday.

Altogether a worthwhile appetiser to Mega-Glow-Mania at Oakwood. I particularly enjoyed playing on Carousel Woods indoor play structure for about an hour late afternoon, and one go on the Pembrokeshire Wheel. Best of all was after 17:30: a few vintage rides, a meal, and more vintage rides. Basically the visit to Folly Farm can be summed up as a leisurely day around the farm, zoo and other attractions, culminating in a spin on the vintage rides early evening, as a warm-up to Oakwood next day. Furthermore the weather was better than predicted, dry all day, and mainly sunny. Many thanks to Nev for arranging this day, including EFS, at Folly Farm. Thanks also to ride operators for running the rides for us, and caterers for providing the meal, after normal closing time.

More about Friday at Folly Farm available here

Back to the top

Day 2 - Saturday 9 August

Saturday First Thing
Having awoke at 6:10, I had an early breakfast at 7:30, which consisted of cereal, a glass of orange juice, fried egg and beans on toast, four triangles of toast and a cafetiere of coffee. At 8:00 the taxi which was booked for me the previous evening turned up to take me to Oakwood.

Welcome To Oakwood
When I reached Oakwood, I immediately noticed the entrance had received a change of colour scheme since last year. A few members were already there, and others gradually arrived. Just before entering Nev gave a welcome message.

Morning ERS
The day began with a one hour ERS on Oakwood's famous wooden coaster Megafobia During this hour I enjoyed six goes on Megafobia, seated next to Andy on two goes and seated next to Planenut on one go.

Morning Free Time
When the ERS ended, members dispersed around the Park, however I was alone most of the time until the afternoon baseball. I began morning free time with two goes on Treetops Coaster. After briefly talking to Ianto Gulliver I enjoyed two goes on Speed. Next I enjoyed both Waterfall slides twice each, and managed to sail across the landing pool without keeling over each time. In the circus area, Clown Coaster may be Oakwood's smallest coaster, but I found one go on it worthwhile. After a coffee at The Little Darlings' Café, I enjoyed two goes on Crocodile Coaster followed by one go on Tink's Flying School.

Baseball
Around 13:30 the Club gathered at the front of the Park to play baseball. Nev asked those who wanted to play to get into two teams, Woodies and Steelies; I joined the Woodies team. As usual Nev played on the Woodies team. The game ended after both sides had batted and fielded twice each. Unsurprisingly the Woodies won.

Afternoon and Evening Free Time
After the baseball ended, members returned to the camp site for a rest or returned to the Park. Some including me caught the train from the entrance to the reception. Back in the Park, I went to The Little Darlings' Café for a cheese baguette and cup of coffee. It now was raining, so I donned my all-in-one splashsuit and went outside. The rain quickly became extremely heavy and I sheltered in the Neverland photo collection point. When the rain eased, I had one go on Tink's Flying School. Unsurprisingly I was the only rider on it. Next I enjoyed Skull Rock log flume twice. Afterwards I rode Tink's Flying School again. Since the rain had now just about stopped, more people wanted to ride it. By turning the rudder the right way at the right time, I took advantage of the wind, which added to the fun. My final Neverland ride for now was one go on Neverland Chase tractor ride.

Having left Neverland I had one go on Teacups in the circus area. The ride experience was what one would expect from a tea cup ride. Next I faced a lengthy wait for Bobsleigh. Riding this toboggan run in its wet and slippery state following the earlier rain was different to riding this in the dry conditions I experienced previous visits; I had to take extra care, braking regularly on the descent. Back in Neverland, I had a coffee at The Little Darlings' Café. Afterwards I enjoyed Oakwood Aerodrome and Tink's Flying School once each. Having left Neverland for the last time, I enjoyed four goes on the Moon Landing drop slide, and made it over the hump on one of them.

It was raining again, so I donned my splashsuit and headed for Snake River Falls. The rain became extremely heavy. There were just a few other riders in front of me for my first go, on the tube slide Cobra. After that I rode the two open slides and Python tube slide despite the downpour, and unsurprisingly I was the only rider approaching them each time! Next I approached Bounce. Although the rain had eased, this drop tower was walk-on, and I was able to stay on for two consecutive goes. Charlie and Lizzie saw me on my second go. Finally I enjoyed two goes on Speed, which ran without any problems in the rain. Charlie and Lizzie sat next to me on my first go.

Around 20:45 I went to Woody's Burger Bar for a large double beefburger meal, which I ate it in the indoor seating area due to the rain. Helen and Sophia, who I saw whilst ordering, sat next to me whilst I was eating my meal. Afterwards I got myself ready for the dark ERS on Megafobia. The final ten minutes of normal opening time were filled with a highly impressive display of fireworks, lasers and fountains, set to music.

Megafobia Dark ERS
With the public now gone, the finale was our dark ERS on Megafobia. Many of us wore or held glow sticks to create a glowing effect. Doug kindly gave me six of his glow sticks (one for each wrist plus four for a necklace); also I wore my fluorescent yellow cagoule, my pink hi-vis jacket and fluorescent pink sports shorts, which added to the fun. In one hour I enjoyed six goes. The train gave a really fast and rough ride around the wet track in the rain. Party music completed the atmosphere. Altogether a fun ERS, despite the rain.

Cumulative Summary of My Rides (ERSs and Freetime Combined)

Ride
Total
Bobsleigh
1
Bounce
2
Clown Coaster
1
Crocodile Coaster
2
Megafobia
12
Moon Landing
4
Neverland Chase
1
Oakwood Aerodrome
1
Skull Rock log flume
2
Snake River Falls: Cobra
1
Snake River Falls: left open slide
1
Snake River Falls: Python
1
Snake River Falls: right open slide
1
Speed
4
Teacups
1
Tink's Flying School
4
Train park entrance to reception
1
Treetops Coaster
2
Waterfall left slide
2
Waterfall right slide
2
TOTAL
46

Rest Of Saturday
When the ERS ended just after 23:00 Nev gave a short speech before everyone returned to the car park. Mark and Margo took me back to Tenby. At quarter past midnight I was back in my room, dead tired.

Altogether a mega fun day at Oakwood. I enjoyed riding all five roller coasters and several non-coaster rides again. The non-coaster rides Neverland Chase, Teacups and Oakwood Aerodrome, which I rode for the first time this visit, are undeniably tame but it was still great to add three more rides to my ride count. It was also a pleasure to meet other members including Nev, Doug, Charlie and Lizzie, Happy Helen, Ianto Gulliver, Mark and Margo, Planenut, Ryan Hackett and Sophia Jones again. Best of all was the dark ERS on Megafobia, despite the rain. Many other members liked my self-designed pink hi-vis jacket and fluorescent pink sports shorts; wearing them in conjunction with my fluorescent yellow Skatedrive cagoule added to the fun of that ERS. The biggest let-down was the weather. Although it was mostly dry and sunny up until mid-afternoon, it rained much of the time after 15:00, including two extreme downpours. Despite the rain, I had plenty of rides in the rain. Thankfully it didn't rain heavily all day. Many thanks to Nev for organising this trip to Oakwood, the staff for running Megafobia before opening time and after closing time, Doug for giving me the glow sticks and Mark and Margo for kindly giving me a lift back to Tenby in the evening.

More about Saturday at Oakwood available here

Back to the top

Day 3 - Sunday 10 August

Introduction
The final day of Mega-Glow-Mania weekend 2014. Mid-morning some members met at Heatherton World of Activities to enjoy go-karting and/or other activities available there. Nev even arranged an EGS (exclusive go-kart session) for those interested; according to the trip invitation it was billed to run from 10.00 to 11.30. For various reasons I gave Heatherton a miss. The following outlines how I spent Sunday.

Sunday First Thing
Having awoke at 7:00, I got ready and packed my belongings, I had breakfast around 8:30. I had the same selection as Friday morning including full cooked, and enjoyed it at a more relaxed pace than Friday and Saturday.

From Tenby to Swansea
Having reached Tenby station around 10:45, I caught the 11:05 rail replacement bus from Tenby to Carmarthen for the onward 12:29 train to Swansea, and got there at 13:15. Once there I walked straight to Swansea LC.

Swansea LC Water Park
I reached the LC reception around 13:30 only to be told that the next available water park session would be 14:30, so I unwisely had a coffee at the LC café to kill time. Once I finished my coffee, the earliest I could be admitted to the water park was 15:15, so without further ado I bought a ticket for that session, and waited in the café until I could get changed at 15:05.

When I finally entered the water park at 15:15 I went straight to the slides, only to find the three slide queues were all really long. Thereafter the queue for Aqua Tube varied, (it tended to be shortest when the waves were on), but the other two slide queues remained long. In order to have as many slides as possible, I spent my entire session sliding and didn't go in the Wave Pool or Lazy River at all. In two hours I enjoyed thirteen goes on the fast, closed tube slide Aqua Tube and two goes on the slower open-top Aqua Slide. Despite the longish queues for tyres and at the launch point, I managed to have one go on the roller coaster water slide Master Blaster. Although I'd have liked more than one go on Master Blaster, one go was better than none. Altogether a wet and wild way to round off Mega-GLOW-Mania Weekend; it's a pity the queues meant I had fewer slides overall than I'd have ideally liked.

Cumulative summary of slides:

Slide
Total
Aqua Slide
2
Aqua Tube
13
Master Blaster
1
TOTAL
16

More about Sunday afternoon at Swansea LC Water Park available here

Evening Meal
Having dressed, I finally left the LC at 17:30, which was later than I expected or wanted. I needed to get myself something to eat quickly before I was due to resume my homeward train journey at 18:24, so I went to McDonalds in Castle Square to have a Chicken Deluxe Meal followed by a toffee sundae. That was a pity as I really wanted to round off my weekend with a Sunday Club Meal at The Bank Statement (Wetherspoon) before returning to the station, but due to my later-than-desired exit from the LC, there wasn't time for that. I'd have preferred an earlier sliding session to have been out of the LC by 16:45, and thus had time for a meal at Wetherspoons before returning to the station. As it was, I only just had time for my burger meal and sundae at McDonalds!

Journey Home
Having left McDonalds I returned to the station in time for the 18:24 train to Newport. Despite the train being diverted between Bridgend and Cardiff, I reached Newport with plenty of time to spare for the connecting 20:32 train to Bath Spa. I finally arrived home around 22:00.

Back to the top

Outro

Highlights
Three nights' B&B in Tenby, including the delicious filling breakfasts.
Visiting Folly Farm and Oakwood for the third year running.
Playing on Carousel Woods indoor play structure late afternoon Friday.
Exclusive Fair Session on the Vintage Funfair rides plus meal in the Funfair Restaurant Friday evening.
Saturday morning ERS on Megafobia.
Riding all five coasters (Megafobia, Treetops Coaster, Speed, Clown Coaster, Crocodile Coaster) and various non-coaster rides again Saturday.
Adding Neverland Chase, Teacups and Oakwood Aerodrome to my ride count Saturday.
Fireworks, lasers and fountains accompanied by music at 21:50 Saturday evening.
Saturday evening dark ERS on Megafobia after closing time, despite the rain.
Meeting Nev, Alan Chilvers, Doug, Charlie and Lizzie, Happy Helen, Ianto Gulliver, Mark and Margo, Planenut, Ryan Hackett, Sophia Jones and other members again.
Sliding the Aqua Tube, Aqua Slide and Master Blaster at Swansea LC Water Park Sunday afternoon.

Lowlights
Problems with my train journey from Bath to Tenby Thursday, and hence getting to Tenby later than expected.
Suddenly realising, on my way to Folly Farm Friday morning, I'd left my trip badge and letter at my hotel.
Having to take my rucksack around Carousel Woods with me Friday afternoon due to lack of lockers.
Rain on and off (very heavy at times) after 15:00 on Saturday.
Drenched out of action throughout Saturday, though perhaps that was a blessing in disguise considering the weather after 15:00.
Long wait until 15:15 for a two hour sliding session at Swansea LC Sunday afternoon.
Swansea LC Water Park was way too busy for my liking Sunday afternoon, hence my overall slide count was lower than I'd have liked.
Long queuing times for the Master Blaster at the collection point and launch point Sunday afternoon, hence only one go on Master Blaster.
Having to make do with a burger and fries, plus sundae, at McDonalds Castle Square Sunday early evening due to my later than desired exit from Swansea LC.

Summing Up
Altogether fun-packed long weekend away. It was great to visit Folly Farm and Oakwood for the third year running and thus ride many of their rides (particularly Oakwood's Megafobia) again. Many thanks again to Nev for arranging the trips to Folly Farm and Oakwood (also Heatherton for those who went), the other Andy for kindly giving me a lift from Folly Farm to Tenby Friday evening, and to Mark and Margo for kindly giving me a lift from Oakwood to Tenby Saturday evening.

Mega-Glow-Mania weekend 2014 can be likened to a three-course meal as follows:
Starter: Folly Farm on Friday
Main course: Oakwood on Saturday
Dessert: Heatherton (or in my case Swansea LC) on Sunday

One other bit of trivia worth mentioning: I went down at least one slide of some sort Friday, Saturday and Sunday as follows:
Friday: Carousel Woods Bumper Slide and tube slides at Folly Farm.
Saturday: Moon Landing drop slide at Oakwood.
Sunday: Aqua Tube, Aqua Slide and Master Blaster water slides at Swansea LC Water Park.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment