Saturday 14 December 2013

Nemesis Nick at Funland 2 Nov 2013

Date: Saturday 2 November 2013
Venue: Funland, Hayling Island
Who Went: Just me

N.B. Any use of "today" or "Saturday" in this report means Saturday 2 November 2013.

Rationale For Trip
After my birthday outing to Thorpe Park and October trip to Devon (which included visits to Devon's Crealy and Woodlands), I fancied a last-minute bonus coaster trip to Funland Hayling Island. Since the rides were planned to still be operating the first weekend in November, I decided to go Saturday 2 November.

Getting to Funland
I got up early in order to catch the 07:35 train from Bath to Fratton, followed by the 10:04 train to Havant. Having reached Havant at 10:15, I walked to the bus station as quickly as possible. The number 30 bus to Hayling Island was just pulling out when I got there. I ran to the bus stop around the corner and luckily managed to catch that bus.

Funland, Hayling Island

Morning Coffee
When I finally reached Funland at 10:40, I felt like a coffee before going into Funland. I went into Beachlands Café, which is conveniently located next-door to Funland, to enjoy a mug of coffee. However I didn't have anything to eat.

Morning Riding
Having finished my coffee I went straight into Funland and bought myself an all-day wristband. At the token and wristband kiosk, a notice stated that Woody's Roller Coaster was out of action. Just my luck, I already knew I would not be able to ride Woody's Roller Coaster. I was hoping to ride all three coasters at least once each, but now all I could hope was that I'd ride Klondike and Super Dragon today. Once fitted with my wristband I immediately took to the rides. It was very quiet in Funland at the time.

Breakdance
I began the day on Breakdance. This is made by made by I.E.Park, and works in a similar manner to a waltzer. You get into cars, which spin on turntables, which themselves spin on a spinning giant turntable. A fun ride, but one go was enough for now.

Flying Saucer
This operated at Paultons for several years. Since 2012 it has been operating at Funland. It has an outer ring (where the seats are), linked by four spokes to its centrepiece. Initially it's level, but soon after it has started it rises to an angle so you go up and down as well as spin. Eventually it returns to the level position for its final few spins before slowing down and stopping. Although not a particularly exciting ride, it was worth riding to say I'd been on it this trip. I only had one go for now.

Super Dragon
This Pinfari Super Dragon MD31 previously operated at Drayton Manor Park as Super Dragon from 1984 to 2007, but has been operating at Funland since 2008. I had one go in the front row, followed by one go in the second-from-back row. One ride consisted of multiple laps, however I didn't count the actual number of laps per go.

Beaver Creek Log Flume
Funland's large log flume, This was my first time of seeing it called Beaver Creek Log Flume as it was Wild River Log Flume on my Funland trips of past years. I donned my all-in-one splashsuit and got into log 6. The log sailed out of the station, around a bend, through a tunnel and around another bend. From there the log went up the lift hill, around the u-bend at the top and down the big drop to create a mighty splash. Finally the log entered the station and I disembarked. For now I only had one go, but hoped to have more goes later.

Extreme
New for 2013, this is a Miami ride. I didn't count how many seats there are on this particular one, but anyway, the ride experience was just like any other Miami. A fun ride, but once was enough for now.

Drop
This 35 metres tall drop tower claims to be the tallest, fastest ride on the south coast. The bit at the top with the Drop logo on comes down, locks on to the top of the seating unit and pulls the seating unit up the tower, until the seats are roughly level with the fifth floor of the tower. After a short delay the seat unit is released for a free fall drop, until about half way down magnets bring it to a halt and lower it gently to the ground. Not a ride for those with a fear of heights! I wondered whether or not they'd be able to run such a tall ride at all today due to the wind. Thankfully it was running (at the moment anyway), so I enjoyed two goes now.

Blizzard Falls Log Flume
Funland's mini log flume. I think this one is primarily aimed at children, but adults can ride it. The log sets off from the platform, around a u-bend, up the lift hill and down again. After the landing splash (which isn't very big) the log continues around another u-bend and back into the station. The rise and fall are quite small, and the overall ride duration is quite short, but it is still a fun ride. This ride was walk-on, and I enjoyed four goes on this, all of which were in log 3.

Beaver Creek Log Flume
The sky was now overcast, and it started to rain. Never mind, that didn't put me off having a few more goes on the large log flume. Dressed in my all-in-one splashsuit, I enjoyed three goes, all in log 6.

Lunchtime
The time was 13:10, and the rain was getting heavier, so I went to get some lunch at Jenny's Food Bar, which is located within Funland. There I had a ham salad baguette and a cup of coffee.

Afternoon Riding
The last two years I've gone for a walk along the seafront between finishing lunch and resuming riding at Funland. This time I returned to riding almost immediately after lunch, as I was eager to have as many more rides as I could, just in case increasing wind speeds forced early closure of the rides around 15:00 to 16:00. It was still raining at the time, but very soon afterwards the rain stopped.

Super Dragon
My first ride after lunch was one go on Super Dragon. I sat in the back row. This was a reasonably easy going ride to enjoy so soon after eating.

Extreme
Now for something much more boisterous, the Miami ride Extreme. A fun ride, I managed to keep my baguette down. Even so, one go was enough for now.

Breakdance
Next I went on Breakdance. This was my first go on here since lunch, and second cumulative go on here today. Just like earlier, riding this was great fun, but one go was enough for now.

Cannibal Pots
From one spinning ride to another! This is similar to a tea cup ride, but with cauldrons instead of cups. I had just one go, in cauldron 4. One can make the cauldron spin faster by turning the table whilst the ride is in motion. However I didn't bother, I was happy with the speed at which it rotated naturally.

Helter Skelter
It's questionable whether this should be classed as a true ride or a slide. This is what I would call a traditional fairground helter skelter, unlike the twin slide helter skelter at Grand Pier, Weston-super-Mare. I enjoyed eight goes on it. This was very quiet at the time, there was no-one in front of me at the top of the steps on several of my goes.

Extreme
After sliding the helter skelter, I was now ready to enjoy the Miami ride Extreme. This was just as much fun as earlier, but once again one go was enough for now. This ended up being my final go of the day on this.

Klondike
At last there were some people wanting to ride this looping coaster, so I joined the queue. The staff let eight riders on to the train, and I was one of them. This Pinfari Zyklon ZL42 coaster previously operated at Drayton Manor Park as Python Looping Coaster from 1984 to 1994, and as Klondike Gold Mine from 1995 to 2004. Since 2005, it has been operating at Funland, Hayling Island. On a normal run the train would travel, non-stop, up the lift hill, around the vertical loop and through the tunnels until it terminates at the exit platform. Unfortunately this time the train got stuck part way around due to the high winds. Some members of staff told everyone to remain seated, as they climbed a ladder to reach the point on the track where the train was stuck. They gave the train a push, and after the next drop it picked up enough momentum to be able to continue its journey the rest of the way to the exit platform. Once everyone left the train, Klondike was closed for the rest of the day. Consequently this was my only go on here all day.

Cannibal Pots
Being as this spinning cauldron ride is located next to Klondike, it made sense for me to ride this next. I enjoyed one go in cauldron 9. Once again I just sat back and let the cauldron spin of its own accord; I didn't want to spin it any faster. This ended up being my final go of the day on Cannibal Pots.

Drop
Despite the increased wind strength since this morning, this tall drop tower was still running. I enjoyed one go in seat 2. After leaving Drop I had a few photos of me taken around Funland.

Super Dragon
One more go on the family coaster Super Dragon. This time I sat in the front row. Unintentionally this ended up being my final go of the day on here.

Beaver Creek Log Flume
After taking a walk around Funland, I donned my all-in one splashsuit and enjoyed my final two goes of the day on Beaver Creek Log Flume.

Blizzard Falls Log Flume
Being as I was already kitted out for wet rides, I had four goes on Blizzard Falls Log Flume. All were in log 4. After my final go I removed my splashsuit.

Drop
This tall drop tower was still going, despite the wind, so I enjoyed my final two goes on it. I sat in seat 2 on both goes. I really felt the wind whilst waiting for the freefall drop on both goes. Furthermore it was now dusk.

Breakdance
My final go of the day on the spinning ride Breakdance.

Flying Saucer
It was now almost closing time. I was hoping to finish off with Super Dragon, but couldn't see the attendant in charge of that ride. However I saw another attendant, who was in charge of Flying Saucer, so decided to end my day with one go on Flying Saucer instead. The up and down motion whilst going round and round made for a mild but fun final ride of the day.

Immediately afterwards I left Funland and ran across to the bus stop as I was fairly sure a bus to Havant was due soon. Of course it was now almost dark. On all my previous visits to Funland it was still daylight when I left the Park around 17:00 to catch the bus to Havant.

Summary of day in order of activity:

Breakdance 1
Flying Saucer 1
Super Dragon 2
Beaver Creek Log Flume 1
Extreme 1
Drop 2
Blizzard Falls Log Flume 4
Beaver Creek Log Flume 3

Lunch at Jenny's Food Bar

Super Dragon 1
Extreme 1
Breakdance 1
Cannibal Pots 1
Helter Skelter 8
Extreme 1
Klondike 1
Cannibal Pots 1
Drop 1
Super Dragon 1
Beaver Creek Log Flume 2
Blizzard Falls Log Flume 4
Drop 2
Breakdance 1
Flying Saucer 1

Cumulative summary of my rides all day:

Ride
Total
Beaver Creek Log Flume
6
Blizzard Falls Log Flume
8
Breakdance
3
Cannibal Pots
2
Super Dragon
4
Drop
5
Extreme
3
Flying Saucer
2
Helter Skelter
8
Klondike
1
TOTAL
42

Evening
Having left Funland for the final time, I caught the 17:07 bus from Beachlands to Havant Bus Station. My original plan was to get takeaway fish and chips on my way to the train station there and travel home on the 18:00 Bristol Temple Meads train which would take me straight to Bath.

As I was just approaching Havant town centre on the bus, I passed a Pizza Hut. Momentarily I considered the alternative option of going there for a pizza, and perhaps an Ice Cream Factory as well, and travel home on a later train from Havant station (which would have necessitated changing trains at Fratton or Fareham). Since it was now quite windy, and the weather was expected to get worse during the evening, I felt it was in my best interest to stick with my original plan, just in case there were problems with trains later.

As originally planned, I called into a fish and chip shop where I bought takeaway regular cod and regular chips, plus a cup of coffee. When I got to the train station at 17:45, the 18:00 Bristol Temple Meads train was delayed, so I consumed my takeaway on the platform whilst waiting for the train. The said train finally arrived at 18:12. Once on board, I enjoyed a relaxing train journey home with no further disruptions. I finally reached Bath Spa at 20:33 and home about ten minutes later.

Outro

Highlights
High ride count, despite the wind.
Riding the Miami ride Extreme for the first time.

Lowlights
Woody's Roller Coaster out of action all day.
Klondike getting stuck mid way around, thankfully the staff managed to get it going again.
It was a bit windy for my liking.

Summing Up
Altogether a great day out, my final send-off to the 2013 coaster season. Although a small park, I enjoyed riding two roller coasters, two log flumes, a helter skelter and five other rides. It was great to add the new Miami ride Extreme to my ride count, and to re-ride the other rides. The weather was less than ideal, it was a bit windy for my liking. At least it was mostly dry, with just one outbreak of rain around lunchtime, and luckily they were able to keep most of the rides running until the scheduled closing time of 17:00. The wind almost certainly explains why the park was so quiet, but at least that enabled me to get a good ride count overall. There was just one drawback to the park being so quiet: it was difficult getting enough riders to be able to run Klondike on such a windy day. At least I managed to get on Klondike with enough other riders mid-afternoon. It's a pity the train got stuck part way around, but thankfully the staff were able to push it hard enough for it to complete the journey to the exit platform. Undeniably I was disappointed at just one go on Klondike, I had hoped for many more goes on what I see as Funland's most exciting coaster. Nonetheless, one go on Klondike was better than none, I was lucky to get on it once this time. It's a pity Woody's Roller Coaster was out of action all day, I would have liked to have had a few goes on that, but at least I managed to get a few goes on the Super Dragon coaster. My biggest surprise of the day was discovering that Speed Flip, which was new to Funland in 2011, was no longer there.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment