Saturday 28 April 2012

Nemesis Nick's Inter-Coaster Season Fun 2011/2012

My solo visit to Funland, Hayling Island on Saturday 29 October 2011 was my send-off to the 2011 coaster season, and my first coaster trip of 2012 was RCCGB The Swarm Storm! on Thursday 22 March 2012. In between those trips I had a few other out-of-season trips, as follows. To jump to individual trips, click the appropriate link below.

Bristol Ice Rink - Saturday 5 November 2011
Bournemouth Christmas Ice Skating - Friday 30 December 2011
Cardiff International Pool - Saturday 7 January 2012
Basingstoke Leisure Park - Saturday 25 February 2012

In addition, I had time for one more outing between RCCGB The Swarm Storm! and RCCGB Blackpool Bash, i.e. a visit to Puxton Park near Weston-super-Mare.

Puxton Park - Monday 26 March 2012

Enjoy reading as many of the following five trip reports as you wish.

Bristol Ice Rink - Saturday 5 November 2011
Date: Saturday 5 November 2011
Venue: Bristol Ice Rink
Who Went: Just me

Introduction
My once a year visit to Bristol Ice Rink took place on a Saturday for the second year running. For various reasons Saturday 5 November, which that same evening happened to be Bonfire Night, was a convenient day for me to go to Bristol Ice Rink in the morning.

Getting To Bristol Ice Rink
The outing began aboard the 9:24 train from Bath Spa to Bristol Temple Meads, followed by a walk to Frogmore Street in the city centre.

Skating At Bristol Ice Rink
Once admitted to Bristol Ice Rink, I headed straight for the skate hire point, to get my hired skates on as quickly as possible. At 10:30 I fearlessly took to the ice, and stayed on there almost until the end of the session. During that time, I enjoyed skating around the ice pad repeatedly at various speeds, staying upright the whole time. That said, I had a few brief spells off the ice for various reasons. Although the session was officially due to end at 1pm, I deliberately left the ice pad at 12:53 and returned to the Skate Hire room, in order to avoid the anticipated queue with everybody returning hired skates at once just after 1pm. Another fun skating session at Bristol Ice Rink, and at nearly two and a half hours on ice, this was my longest ice skating session for 2011.

Rest Of Saturday
Having returned my skates, I left the building and walked to the nearby Broadmead Shopping Centre, where I enjoyed a filled roll from a sandwich shop followed by a coffee and Millionaire's Shortbread doughnut at Krispy Kreme in Cabot Circus. A scrumptious end to a skating session. Finally I walked back to Bristol Temple Meads whereupon I caught the 16:00 train to Bath Spa.

Recent Update
In February this year, a report in a local publication for the Bristol and Bath area mentioned the proposed closure of Bristol Ice Rink in October 2012. I'll have to ensure this 2011 visit there is not my last by going back there by late summer 2012.

Back to the top

Bournemouth Christmas Ice Skating - Friday 30 December 2011
Date: Friday 30 December 2011
Venue: Bournemouth International Centre
Who Went: Just me

Rationale For Trip
The temporary ice rink which has been at Purbeck Hall, Bournemouth International Centre (BIC) over Christmas the last few years was back for Christmas 2011. In fact it was available from early December 2011 until late February 2012 (half term week I think). Mid-morning Friday 30 December 2011 I decided to go there for the afternoon. This time I pre-booked my ticket for the 2:15pm session by phone just before setting off.

Getting To Bournemouth
I caught the 11:13 train from Dorchester South to Bournemouth, and having arrived walked to the town centre.

Lunchtime and After
Having reached the town centre, I enjoyed a fish and chip lunch at The Chippy. After lunch I had some time to kill before the start of the 2:15pm ice skating session. I briefly went into House of Fraser. The last time I went in there in 28 December 2010, the escalators from the first to second floor, and second to third floor were SBNO. This time all the escalators (ground to basement and ground to first as well as the two aforementioned ones) were SBNO. An assistant was unsure as to why they are now all SBNO. After that I walked through the Lower Central Gardens to the sea front, and up the hill to the BIC.

Skating At The BIC
Just like previous occasions, I arrived at the BIC by the back entrance by the Purbeck Hall only to discover there was no temporary ticket kiosk there. For the first time, ice skating ticket purchase and collection was at the main box office at the front of the building. Still that allowed me to see the ground floor route through the building for the first time, and to add the up escalator at the front to my ride count. It just so happened I was unable to take the first floor route back to the Purbeck Hall, so I had to go back down the front staircase, take the ground floor route to the back and go up the stairs there to the Purbeck Hall.

As always, the skating sessions was billed as one and a half hours long (2:15pm to 3:45pm), but the actual time on the ice was one hour, with fifteen minutes either side to get skates on and off. Eventually (around 2:30pm) it was time to take to the ice, and enjoy skating around the near-square rink. I stayed upright, but went into the perimeter barrier a few times. At 3:30pm it was time for everyone to leave the ice, return their skates, go downstairs and head back through the ground floor of the building to the front exit. Altogether, a fun hour on the ice.

Just before leaving I asked a receptionist about the former fun pool and water slide at the BIC. She said it wasn't profitable, it was under-used and in any case there was only one water slide (nothing special); therefore it was removed and converted into the Solent Hall. I finally left the BIC just before 4pm.

Billy Danter's Funfair
Billy Danter's Funfair was on the area in front of Bournemouth Pier for Christmas, with the usual selection of rides. I treated myself to one go on Freak-Out, my final ride for 2011. The ride experience on this swinging, spinning ride was no different to when I rode it previous years. Although fun, one go was enough; no way could I have stuck two goes.

Journey Home
After that, returned to the Travel Interchange via the town centre. At 17:08 I was back at Bournemouth railway station. Just when I thought I'd missed the 17:04 Weymouth train, and would therefore have to await the next one, the 17:04 Weymouth train was running late and now due at 17:12. For once a late-running train was to my advantage.

Outro
Highlights
Fish and chip lunch at The Chippy.
One hour ice skating at the BIC.
Riding the thrill ride Freak Out.

Lowlights
Ice rink busier than I'd have liked.

Summing Up
Altogether, a fun afternoon out, my final ice skating session and final funfair ride before the end of 2011.

Back to the top

Cardiff International Pool - Saturday 7 January 2012
Date: Saturday 7 January 2012
Venue: Cardiff International Pool
Who Went: Just me

Rationale For Trip
Having begun 2011 with a visit to Cardiff International Pool to enjoy the fun pool and water slides, I was equally keen to begin 2012 with another visit there. This was in fact third visit to Cardiff International Pool to-date; my previous two visits there were 19 December 2009 and 8 January 2011.

Getting To Cardiff
I got up fairly early in order to catch the 08:30 train from Bath Spa to Cardiff Central. Having reached Cardiff, I caught a bus to the Sports Village, which happened to go via Techniquest.

Cardiff International Pool
Cardiff International Pool is located at the Sports Village. I finally got there around 10:30 and entered the pool area at 10:50. Being my third visit to-date, the place was already familiar to me.

The fun pool area has the following features:

Fun pool with river run.

Red flume
Starts by taking sliders around a bend to the left, into a clockwise spiral. This is followed by an anticlockwise spiral, and you land in catch tray. Slow.

Orange flume
This begins with an anticlockwise spiral, followed by a clockwise u-bend, to land in a catch tray. Faster.

Yellow flume
Starts with a bend to the right, into an anticlockwise spiral, and finally a straight drop (fairly steep but not vertical), landing in catch tray. Faster still.

The above three flumes are closed tubes all the way down. They don't have names, unlike the flumes at Splashdown Poole.

Space Bowl (blue)
A short flume takes you round an anticlockwise loop into space bowl. After whirling around, you fall into a 2.5 metre deep landing pool, which you must swim out of as quickly as possible. For that reason you must be able to swim to be allowed on this.

There is also a children's play structure, with a short water slide (closed tube), but that slide is for children only, just like the rest of the play structure.

There's no roller coaster water slide (as in the Master Blaster at certain other water parks I've visited), but then again, you can't have everything I suppose.

The slides are made by Aqua Leisure International. Labels on the catch trays of the red, orange and yellow flumes show the following information:
Red flume: 850 Series Ride A
Orange flume: 850 Series Ride B
Yellow flume: 850 Series Ride C

This time I found out from a member of staff that the slides were commissioned December 2007.

Unlike my January 2011 visit, the red, orange and yellow flumes, plus the space bowl, were all running right from the start. Therefore as soon as I entered the pool area at 10:50am I headed straight for the slides. I was able to stay in as long as I wanted and remained in the pool area until 2:30pm. Initially the queues for the slides were really short, but they rapidly became quite long, extending down the top flight of stairs, and sometimes a little further.

As always, the lifeguard asked me if I can swim prior to my first go on the space bowl. I said I can swim, and had been on this space bowl on previous visits, as well as space bowls elsewhere. I suppose they have to ask everyone that question, no matter how many times they've used a space bowl anywhere before.

I'm still not sure which was my favourite of the red, orange and yellow slides, all were fun to slide. I found the space bowl particularly thrilling (just like other places where I've been on space bowls), but nonetheless didn't want to have more goes on it than any of the other slides. For ease of counting, I insisted on sliding them all round robin. During the time I was in there, I enjoyed the red flume, orange flume, yellow flume and space bowl in sequence eight times over. To finish off, I swam four laps of the river run before finally leaving the pool area around 2:30pm.

Cumulative Summary of Slides

Slide
Total
Red flume
8
Orange flume
8
Yellow flume
8
Space Bowl
8
TOTAL
32

Plus 4 laps of river run.

Having dressed, I went to Café Vita at the front of the building for a much-needed ham salad sandwich and regular Americano coffee.

Rest Of Day In Cardiff
Having left the building, I caught a bus back to the city centre. Once there I explored the library that opened a year or two ago, took a walk around the St Davids Shopping Centre and Queen's Arcade.

Evening Meal at Pizza Hut
At 5:30pm I went to Pizza Hut in Queen Street for an evening meal. For main course, I decided to have a regular pizza. A fill-it-yourself salad bowl was included in the price of the pizza, so I filled my bowl with a variety of salad, couscous and pasta. For dessert, I chose Adult Ice Cream Factory. I didn't have a drink from the menu; instead I just asked for a glass of water. I finally left Pizza Hut at 6:31pm.

Journey Home
At 6:55pm I was back at Cardiff Central. The next direct train to Bath Spa was due to depart at 19:30. However, the 19:00 train to Taunton was about to depart, so I caught that on the off-chance I might catch an onward train from Bristol Temple Meads which would reach Bath sooner than the 19:30 from Cardiff Central. When I reached Bristol Temple Meads at 19:49, the next train to Bath Spa was the 20:22 Portsmouth Harbour train; i.e. the one which was due to depart Cardiff Central at 19:30. I'd might as well have waited for the 19:30 Portsmouth Harbour train at Cardiff Central, and thus had a direct journey to Bath. I finally reached Bath Spa at 8:34pm and home a few minutes later.

Outro
Highlights
Enjoying the red flume, orange flume, yellow flume and space bowl again.
Good slide count considering how long the queues were.
Evening meal at Pizza Hut, Queen Street.

Lowlights
Slide queues longer than I expected or would have liked.

Summing Up
Altogether a fun day out, my first outing for 2012, and also my first time of going water sliding anywhere for 2012. It's a pity the place was busier than I expected, and hence I didn't get as many slides as I'd hoped for, but never mind. The evening meal at Pizza Hut was a delightful end to a great day out.

Back to the top

Basingstoke Leisure Park - Saturday 25 February 2012
Date: Saturday 25 February 2012
Venue: The Lagoon at Aquadrome, Planet Ice
Who Went: Just me

Getting To Basingstoke
A trip to Basingstoke Leisure Park to enjoy swimming and water sliding at Aquadrome, and ice skating at neighbouring Planet Ice. For me a 6am awakening was necessary in order to catch a train departing 07:33 from Dorchester South to Basingstoke. Still that wasn't as bad as getting up at 4:30am to catch trains from Bath Spa just after 6am for certain RCCGB trips the last couple of years. It was a pleasant and relaxing journey which lasted about two hours. Having reached Basingstoke just after 9:30am I went into Sainsbury's Café for a cup of coffee before catching a bus to Basingstoke Leisure Park.

The Lagoon at Aquadrome
Basingstoke Aquadrome is a multi-purpose leisure centre at Basingstoke Leisure Park. I went there to use the Lagoon, with the following facilities:

Yellow Peril (yellow water slide)
A closed tube all the way down with plenty of twists and turns, making for a fairly fast but gentle ride. Bathers must use a tyre on this.

Master Blaster (blue)
An uphill water slide, this is what I call a "roller coaster water slide", featuring three net covered uphill ramps in addition to closed tube descents. A net covered steep drop into a catch tray completes the ride. Much more thrilling than the Yellow Peril. If you're lucky, you might just get a pop of AIRtime on the final descent. A tyre is required on this.

Space Bowl (green)
Speaks for itself: it takes sliders down a narrow tube, into a giant space bowl. After a rapid spin around the bowl, one drops through the centre into the 2.5 metre deep plunge pool. Tyres are prohibited on this.

Fun Pool
This includes a river run.

Upon entry I was given a coloured wristband for the first time ever (I hadn't been given one on my previous visits here). The receptionist told me that they now call a colour out after a certain length of time in the event of The Lagoon reaching capacity. Thankfully my colour was never called.

Having changed, I entered the Lagoon at 10:30am and immediately took to the slides. Unlike last year, all three slides (Yellow Peril, Master Blaster and Space Bowl) were running this time. Throughout my time in The Lagoon, the Master Blaster was generally was quite busy, whereas the other two slides were generally quiet. I went on the three slides as follows:

Yellow Peril 4
Master Blaster 2
Space Bowl 4
Yellow Peril 4
Master Blaster 4
Space Bowl 4

I then took a break from sliding to swim a lap of the river run. On my way around I noticed three green lily pads, and unlike last year they weren't cordoned off. I asked a lifeguard if you're allowed to climb on them and was told you are. So I had several attempts at mounting each lily, but failed each time. After swimming two more laps of the river run, I had a final attempt at mounting a lily pad. Having still not succeeded I gave up and had my last few goes on the slides as follows.

Yellow Peril 4
Master Blaster 2
Space Bowl 4

I finally left the pool / slides area at 12:53pm, to give me ample time to dry myself, dress, have lunch and be on the ice at Planet Ice next-door by 2pm.

Cumulative Summary of Slides

Slide
Total
Yellow Peril
12
Master Blaster
8
Space Bowl
12
TOTAL
32

Lunch At Aquadrome Café
Having dried myself and dressed, I went to the Aquadrome café for a light lunch: hot dog, chips, and coffee.

Planet Ice
After lunch, I headed next-door to Planet Ice and got my hired skates on as quickly as I could. At 1:55pm I fearlessly walked on to the ice in open space and quickly picked up speed. The rink was lit by coloured stage lights, and music was being played. Throughout my time on the ice, the far end of the rink was closed off for skating lessons, but there was still plenty of space for the general public to enjoy. I finally left the ice when the session ended at 4pm, and thus all skaters were asked to leave the ice. Altogether, more than two hours of ice skating on a large rink, without any falls. That said, I had a fair few off-ice moments throughout the session.

Journey Home
Having left Planet Ice, I caught the shuttle bus back to town. Once there I had a coffee and cake at Sainsbury's café before returning to the station at 4:53pm. From there I caught the 17:00 train to Winchester for the connecting 17:33 train to Dorchester South. I reached Dorchester just after 7pm.

Outro
Highlights
Sliding the Yellow Peril, Master Blaster and Space Bowl at Aquadrome Lagoon.
Two hours of Ice skating at Planet Ice.

Lowlights
Master Blaster queue generally longer than Yellow Peril and Space Bowl queues; hence fewer goes on Master Blaster.

Summing Up
Another mega fun day out, my first time of going water sliding and ice skating in the same day for this year. This was my fourth time of doing this trip in this manner on my own. My previous visits to Basingstoke Leisure Park to do Aquadrome Lagoon in the morning and ice skating at Planet Ice in the afternoon were March 2008, November 2009 and early April 2010. Going by the fun I've had each time, I seriously think this combined water sliding and ice skating trip could make an excellent official RCCGB trip one Saturday between November and March when the parks are all closed. Nev ought to consider organising this kind of trip to Basingstoke Leisure Park (Aquadrome Lagoon and Planet Ice) next winter. Gala Bingo could then be an optional evening add-on as that's another amenity at Basingstoke Leisure Park. A similar trip could take place at Cardiff Sports Village, i.e. water sliding at Cardiff International Pool in the morning (perhaps including an ERS on the Space Bowl) and ice skating at neighbouring Planet Ice in the afternoon.

Back to the top

Puxton Park - Monday 26 March 2012
Date: Monday 26 March 2012
Venue: Puxton Park
Who Went: Just me

Introduction
Puxton Park is a farm park north of Weston-super-Mare which opened in summer 2007. It includes the Fun Farm Play Barn (indoor play area) with giant slides and soft play equipment (which adults can play on), McPuxtons burger bar, boating lake, Puxton Fort, crazy golf, assault course, conservation lake, conservation area, falconry centre, pony riding centre, open-air maze and dairy. In addition there's Meadows Restaurant and a farm shop, both of which are accessible to customers not paying to enter the Park. Not all the features were there when it first opened in summer 2007, some have been added since.

My desire to visit Puxton Park one weekday late March seems to have become an annual fixture in my calendar now. After three previous visits in March 2009, March 2010 and March 2011, I was equally determined to go there late March 2012. For various reasons Monday 26 March 2012 happened to be a convenient day for me to go there, effectively my own extra trip between RCCGB The Swarm Storm! and the RCCGB Blackpool Bash.

Getting To Puxton Park
A 6am rise was necessary in order for me to leave Bath Bus Station before 7:30am on a bus bound for Bristol. Having reached Bristol city centre, I caught the Weston-super-Mare bus for Puxton Park. Having arrived Puxton Park bus stop (on the A370) around 9:45, I walked up Cowslip Lane to the reception. Although a slow way of getting from Bath to Puxton Park (two buses, changing at Bristol), it was the cheapest method, using a FirstDay South West bus ticket (one day's unlimited travel on First buses in the south west).

Puxton Park Outdoor Areas
I finally reached the reception when the Park was due to open at 10am. Once admitted I explored the outdoor area of Park. The Farm Walk encircles the Park, and various farm animals are present in different parts of the Park. Areas that deserve a specific mention are as follows.

Boating Lake
A rowing boat lake which wasn't there at the time of my last visit in March 2011; it opened summer 2011. I would have liked to have gone on it during this visit, but it was closed all day. It only opens certain times of the year.

Jumping Pillow
Outside (close to the Fun Farm Play Barn) is a large jumping pillow, which adults are allowed to jump on. Unfortunately on this occasion the jumping pillow was awaiting repair, so no-one could jump on it on this day.

Crazy Golf
Speaks for itself, it carries an extra charge, so I gave this a miss.

Conservation Area
In the far corner of the Park, an enclosed area. A circular path runs around this area, with information boards about various country flora and fauna. Although I had seen it on previous visits, I walked around it again.

Falconry Centre
Birds of prey (falcons and owls), some in cages and some on pedestals. The birds were not flying at the time.

Sport Skills Area
I first discovered this when I went in March 2010, and at the time there was a football in the area which I kicked around. This time I saw a sign stating that footballs can be hired from the reception. I gave this a miss as I didn't want to pay to hire a ball to kick around.

Maze
A new attraction which wasn't there when I last visited in March 2011. At each T-junction there are two answers to a question, each with an arrow. If you take the turning related to the wrong answer and you lead to a dead end. Taking the turning related to the correct answer leads you to the next question. Thankfully I answered all the questions correctly and made it through the maze start to finish quickly and easily.

Puxton Fort
This first opened in summer 2010. Adults are allowed to play there, so I entered the fort and explored it. This includes a conventional slide which I had 2 goes on.

Assault Course
This opened in summer 2009. It's a series of obstacles between START and FINISH boards. The obstacles include leaping bars, hanging bars, parallel bars, balance beams, stilts, a postman's bridge and a Burma bridge. I had a go at this assault course, and completed it in 4 minutes 7 seconds.

Trampolines
A group of circular trampolines near the Falconry Centre. I first saw them on my March 2011 visit here. Adults are allowed to jump on these so this time I spent a few minutes jumping on one.

Lunch At McPuxtons
Puxton Park has a burger bar called McPuxtons. Around 12:30 I went there for a burger and fries, plus a fizzy drink.

New Outdoor Play Area
Located close to the Fun Farm Play Barn, this outdoor play area wasn't there when I last visited in March 2011. It includes a treadmill, two zip slides and swings. Immediately after lunch I asked a member of staff if adults can go on this equipment, and was told they are allowed on it. Therefore I had a go on the following:
Treadmill.
4 goes on one zip slide followed by 4 goes on the other zip slide.
Swing.

Fun Farm Play Barn
This is a vast three level indoor adventure play complex, designed and installed by Taylor-Made Play. It has the following facilities:

Multi Moover
A six lane Astra slide. It's in all colours of the rainbow, red at the top working to blue at the bottom.

Blue Bantam
A blue double drop slide (i.e. vertical drop, flat bit, slope, land in a ball pit).

Red Rooster
A red drop slide (vertical drop followed by run-out; it has two launch heights). If you like Oblivion at Alton Towers or Griffon at Busch Gardens, you'll love the Red Rooster. Forget being harnessed into your seat on a ride car, you just sit on the beam, push yourself forwards whilst holding the beam, and let go to enjoy a 28 foot free-fall drop with no harness whatsoever. Not for the faint hearted.

Other Features
Blue spiral tube slide.
Green straight tube slide.
Loads of soft play equipment.

Best of all, adults (or should I say adult kids?) are allowed to play on everything in the main play area. In fact parents are encouraged to join in with their children.

A separate mini soft play area with ball pit is available for children under 3.

I entered the indoor play area around 1pm. Unlike my first two visits (March 2009 and March 2010), I didn't have a pair of jogging bottoms with me, therefore I entered the play area wearing my jeans which I'd worn all morning. From past visits to the two Crealy parks, Woodlands and Portsmouth and Swansea Playzone, I fancy I tend to go a bit slowly on slides wearing jeans, and can go much faster if I wear jogging bottoms. You have to slide the tube slides and drop slides without a mat, therefore my jeans were in direct contact with those slides. Anyway I still went surprisingly fast on the two drop slides and both tube slides in jeans.

You have to use a mat to slide the Multi Moover six-lane Astra slide, which ruled out that problem of wearing jeans. Some of the lanes on the Multi Moover seemed quite slow. I told a ranger, she said the slide had been polished recently.

When I first entered the play area the level changer (padded cylinders) in the front right corner between the ground and first floors was closed off. Workmen from Taylor-Made Play were repairing it. Thankfully the whole of the rest of the play area was open for customers to use.

Here's what I went on during the afternoon:

Multi Moover one go per lane left to right.
Blue Bantam 8 goes.
Red Rooster lower beam 8 goes.
Red Rooster upper beam 8 goes.

Soft play:
Ground floor: 3 swinging steps > over and under barriers > right turn > x-changer > 3 spinning poles > crawl maze > right turn > up tumble tower > down zig-zag web climber > square spinning pole > walked past run-outs of giant slides > up pull up ramp.

First floor: down fireman's poles > up pull up ramp > 3 spinning discs > slither chicane > right turn > x-changer > narrow bish bash pendulums > padded pit > right turn > over top of tumble tower and zig-zag web climber > bish bash pendulums > single spinning pole > right turn > v-net bridge (above Red Rooster run-out) > v-net bridge (above Astra slide run-out) > 3 spinning discs > up sloping v-net ladder to second floor.

Second floor central section front to back: challenge rollers > 3 steep net pairs > down two ladders at back second floor to first floor.

First floor central section back to front: 6 spinning discs > 2 swing-over nets (once across each net). This was followed by right turn > v-net bridge (above Astra slide run-out) > down fireman's poles.

Ground floor central section front to back: ratchet door maze > wringer rollers > rollerway.

By now the two sets of level changers (padded cylinders) between the ground and first floors in one front corner were finished and open again.

Ground floor: 3 swinging steps > over and under barriers > right turn > x-changer > 3 spinning poles > crawl maze > right turn > up tumble tower > down zig-zag web climber > square spinning pole > up level changer to first floor.

First floor: v-net bridge (above Red Rooster run-out) > v-net bridge (above Astra slide run-out) > 3 spinning discs > down fireman's poles > up pull up ramp > 3 spinning discs > slither chicane > right turn > x-changer > narrow bish bash pendulums > padded pit > right turn > over top of tumble tower and zig-zag web climber > bish bash pendulums > single spinning pole > right turn > v-net bridge (above Red Rooster run-out) > v-net bridge (above Astra slide run-out) > 3 spinning discs > up sloping v-net ladder to second floor.

Second floor central section front to back: challenge rollers > 3 steep net pairs > down two ladders at back second floor to first floor.

First floor central section back to front: 6 spinning discs > 2 swing-over nets (once across each net). This was followed by right turn > v-net bridge (above Astra slide run-out) > down fireman's poles.

Ground floor central section front to back: ratchet door maze > wringer rollers > rollerway.

At this point I returned to McPuxtons to get an ice cream. Afterwards I continued as follows:

Multi Moover one go per lane left to right.
Blue Bantam 4 goes.
Red Rooster lower beam 4 goes.
Red Rooster upper beam 4 goes.

I returned to McPuxtons for a coffee. Afterwards I continued as follows:

Soft play:
Ground floor central section back to front: rollerway > wringer rollers > ratchet door maze > up stairs ground to first floor.

First floor central section front to back: 2 swing-over nets (once across each net > 6 spinning discs > up two ladders at back first floor to second floor.

Second floor central section back to front: 3 steep net pairs > challenge rollers > down sloping v-net ladder to first floor > down fireman's poles to ground floor.

Ground floor: 3 swinging steps > over and under barriers > right turn > x-changer > 3 spinning poles > crawl maze > right turn > up tumble tower > down zig-zag web climber > square spinning pole > up level changer to first floor.

First floor: v-net bridge (above Red Rooster run-out) > v-net bridge (above Astra slide run-out) > 3 spinning discs > down fireman's poles > up pull up ramp > 3 spinning discs > slither chicane > right turn > x-changer > narrow bish bash pendulums > padded pit > right turn > over top of tumble tower and zig-zag web climber > bish bash pendulums > single spinning pole > right turn > v-net bridge (above Red Rooster run-out) > down stairs to ground floor.

To finish off, I had as many goes as I could on the giant slides.
Multi Moover one go per lane left to right.
Blue Bantam 4 goes.
Blue spiral tube slide 2 goes.
Red Rooster lower beam 4 goes.
Straight green tube slide 2 goes.
Red Rooster upper beam 12 goes.

At 5:19pm I left the indoor play area for the final time, collected my belongings from my locker and walked back to the bus stop on the main road.

Cumulative Summary of Slides

Slide
Total
Multi Moover Astra slide[i]
18
Blue Bantam
16
Red Rooster (lower beam)
16
Red Rooster (upper beam)
24
Blue spiral tube slide
2
Straight green tube slide
2
TOTAL
78

[i] 3 goes per lane left to right.

Altogether an afternoon of fun, Taylor-Made fun. This was my first time of playing on soft play equipment, an Astra slide and on drop slides for 2012.

Journey Home
Back at the bus stop, I caught the 17:44 bus to Bristol city centre, whereupon I made a quick change to the next available bus to Bath. I finally left the bus opposite Bath ODEON at 7:11pm.

Outro
Highlights
Beautiful sunny day for the trip.
Outdoor assault course and the new outdoor play area (treadmill, zip slides and swing)
Playing in the indoor play barn on the slides and soft play equipment.

Lowlights
Certain lanes on the Multi Moover six-lane Astra slide running rather slowly.
The indoor play area was a bit hot during the afternoon.

Summing Up
Another mega fun day out. With the outdoor play equipment I enjoyed around just before and just after lunch, plus the indoor play barn I enjoyed even more all afternoon, it was great to be a child for the day. The indoor play barn is smaller than the Adventure Zone at Devon's Crealy, but never mind, I was glad to be allowed to play in a soft play area with Astra and drop slides as so few such places allow adults to play.

My nearest soft play area, the Zany Zone at Bath Sports Centre is very small and only for children. Back in 2005 I wrote a customer comment card suggesting they organise an adult night there, only to be told in a letter that cannot be done as the Zany Zone equipment is designed for children below a certain height and weight.

Back to the top

And Finally
As you can see, I've had a few fun trips between October 2011 and March 2012. The good thing about indoor water parks like The Lagoon at Aquadrome (Basingstoke Leisure Park) and Cardiff International Pool is that you can go there to enjoy water sliding in the winter months when theme parks such as Thorpe Park and Alton Towers are closed for the winter.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment