Sunday 31 July 2011

RCCGB Meet At The Park 2011 (Adventure Island)

Date: Saturday 23 July 2011
Venue: Adventure Island (Southend-on-Sea)
Who Went: Me and a large number of other RCCGB members, including Andy Hine, Barry, Big Stevie B, Derek, Julie, Alan and Saffron Eddy, Lucy Cosnett, Mary (Regatta) and Andy Knight, Matt Walker.

DISCLAIMER: The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of everyone who attended. It's a list of members who I spoke to / rode with. I sincerely apologise to anyone I've forgotten.

Getting To Adventure Island
This trip required an exceptionally early awakening for me, 4:15am. From Bath Spa I caught the 5:43 train to London Paddington. Having transferred to London Liverpool Street on the Underground, I caught the next train to Southend Victoria. As the train neared Southend Victoria, britcitchris asked me if I was going to the enthusiast day at Adventure Island. We sat together talking the rest of the way. Having arrived just before 9:00, we walked through the High Street towards the sea front. Near the sea front, we met Barry. When we reached the lifts to the promenade, we spent a few minutes looking down from the viewpoint. There was still time to kill before Nev wanted us at Adventure Island 10:00 to 10:30, so all three of us went to the café in the Royals Shopping Centre (outside Debenhams) for a coffee.

Welcome to Adventure Island
Around 10:00 Barry and I got to the western slope entrance (by Sands). Several other members were waiting there. Initially I spoke to Mary (Regatta). After that I spoke to Derek, Julie, Alan and Saffron Eddy. Eventually everyone was called towards Customer Services where Nev issued us our trip badges and wrist band vouchers.

Rage ERS
At 10:30 it was time for our ERS on the Park's flagship coaster Rage. This Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter Model 320+ opened in 2007. According to the Roller Coaster Database, Rage is the only coaster of this particular model in the UK, and one of only three worldwide. I noticed its gaudy colours have faded considerably the past four years. The ride cars seat two rows of four passengers. After leaving the station, the car goes up a vertical lift hill, down a beyond vertical first drop, around a vertical loop, another inversion and back to the station. During the ERS, I had three goes as follows:
First go back left (Derek, Alan and Saffron were in the same row as me on this go).
Second go back right.
Third go front right.

Just as I ran up the path for a fourth go, the attendant told me the ERS was over, and I must now get my wrist band.

Normal Time
At 11:00 it was time for us to get our wrist bands. After that, members dispersed to take over the rides.

Green Scream
A Zierer Tivoli - New roller coaster which has operated since 1999. Its track is green, which presumably explains its title. One ride consists of two laps. My second go was in the second row. I spotted the Guinness World Record on display.

Magic Monsters
My first non-coaster ride of the day. A kiddie ride really, but nonetheless it was still worth having one go just for the record.

Vortex
Now for a white knuckle non-coaster ride. An orbiter type ride featuring sets of three ride cars at the ends of arms, The car clusters spin about the arm ends as the arms rise to an angle, and the whole central structure spins about its base. It all adds up to a hair-raising ride, not for the faint-hearted, and not to be ridden immediately after eating! No wonder it's a Big Adventure Band ride. I fearlessly enjoyed one go, and didn't scream at all (in fact I sang "Hard Rock Hallelujah on the ride). However one go was enough, two would have been way too risky! I never returned to this later in the day.

The Dragon
Although circular, this has a head, seats along the length of the ride, and a tail, but the tail doesn't quite touch the head. It starts in a clockwise direction. Since the seats face the head, that means you're going forwards. Mid way through the ride stops and goes backwards, which feels odd. I had just one go on this, in the seat nearest the tail.

Archelon
A wave swinger (I'll assume you know how one of those works), with giant turtle theming. Looking at the web site, I'm surprised to have just spotted it's a Big Adventure Band ride (1.2 metre minimum rider height). Personally I see no reason why it can't be a Junior Band ride, as it's not at all scary, in fact I found it quite tame. To me the ride experience was no different to Sky Swinger at Paultons, or any other wave swinger I've ridden elsewhere. This was my only go on Archelon all day.

Flying Jumbos
Pink elephants which go around in a circle. Although a tame Mini Band ride, I felt it was worth one go just to say I'd been on it. This was my only go all day.

Over The Hill
Initially I wondered what this was, so I asked the attendant at the entrance. Having been told it's a ghost train, I decided to have a go. Matt Walker was on the train the same time as me. I noticed drops towards the end, so can this therefore be classed as a roller coaster? This was my only go on this all day.

After leaving the ride, I spoke to Matt about RidgeRiders.

SkyDrop
A drop tower. One long row of seats goes up and down several times. At one point the seats were held near the top, giving riders some hang time before being dropped again. I enjoyed two thrilling goes on this, but I think a third would have been too much.

Choo Choo Train
I wasn't going to bother with this, but when I saw Matt Walker about to ride it, I decided to have a go as well. Although tame, with the train going around a small diameter circular track, it was worth one go just for the record.

Lunch
By now, with the time around 13:00, I felt time was overdue to get some lunch. I went to Subway in the town centre to get a Sub of the Day, and sat on a seat in the High Street to eat it. I was going to go on the pier afterwards, but when I found out you have to pay £3.10 just to walk to the end and back (i.e. not take the train), I didn't bother.

At 13:46 I returned to Adventure Island, and continued riding as follows.

Viking Boats
Six boats on spokes which go up and down as they go around in a circle. Whilst the ride was in motion music was played, and the ride attendants clapped in time with it. I thought the music and clapping was superfluous really as it did nothing to make a tame Mini Band ride any more enjoyable. I only had one go on this.

Sea Serpent
Two tube slides (one red and one blue). When the Summer Bash was held here in 2007, these slides were closed due to the rain. This time I was able to go on them, and enjoyed one go on the red slide followed by one go on the blue slide.

Blackbeards All At Sea
A dark ride. When you go in the light is very dim. The lights are turned out and there is a short film about a pirate on a ship. To mimic the ship rocking from side to side, the benches rise on an angle in alternate directions. My guess is there must be pistons under them that produce that effect. When the film finished the dim lighting was restored. The only snag then was walking from the dim room into the bright outdoor daylight. Not a particularly exciting ride, this was my only go all day.

Fireball
A big wheel. I had to wait for a pod to become available. Once I was on the wheel kept stopping so the attendant could fill the next few pods. Eventually the wheel was allowed to spin for several revolutions before it was time to unload riders pod by pod. This was my only go of the day on Fireball.

Barnstormer
This Zierer Tivoli - Custom family coaster has been operating since 2000. One ride consists of two laps. For now I only had one go.

Mighty Mini-Mega
A Pinfari Mini Mega Coaster MM29 which first operated in 2003. Although another family coaster, I found it more exciting than Barnstormer. Hardly surprising considering it's slightly longer, taller and faster than Barnstormer. One ride consists of one lap. A pity really, being as the time for one lap is so short one ride really ought to be two laps. For now I only had one go. According to the Roller Coaster Database, there are currently only three coasters of this model in the world, all of which are in the UK.

Kiddi-Koasta
New for 2011, this is Adventure Island's 5th roller coaster: a Zamperla Speedy Coaster. It's a Mini Band Ride, which means that visitors up to 1 metre tall now have the chance to ride a coaster there. Hardly surprising therefore the ride experience was somewhat tame, but still worth one go to tick it on Coaster-Count. At present, this is only the second coaster of this particular model in the world.

Pharaoh's Fury
We must have all ridden something like this somewhere (probably called Twister or Cyclone). Adventure Island call theirs Pharaoh's Fury, I've no idea why. To me the ride experience was no different to when I rode it here at the Summer Bash in 2007, or this type of ride elsewhere (e.g. Twister at Fantasy Island and Super Twist at Bottons during my East Coaster Story tour last year). Pharaoh's Fury was mega fun, but once was enough for now.

Coffee Break
With the time now around 3:15pm, I felt partial to a coffee, so bought myself a small Americano. However I resisted the temptation to have a freshly made waffle as they were £3 each. Whilst drinking my coffee I sat near Sk8boarda. During that time, I saw Mary (Regatta) walk past. Having finished my coffee, I continued riding as follows.

Drop 'n' Smile
A drop tower ride, with seats on all four sides. Although primarily aimed at children (it's a Junior Band ride), adults are allowed to ride it, in certain seats only. I had one go on this just to say I'd been on it. Naturally I found it tame compared to SkyDrop.

Photo Opportunity
Having left Drop 'n' Smile, I spotted two people on stilts near Sands, so I went over there to have my photo taken with them. After that I saw Andy Knight about to set off home. I spoke to him for a few minutes before he left.

American Whip
Being a Mini Band ride, which can be ridden by young children less than 1 metre tall, I thought this would be a gentle ride. Although gentle on the straight sections, I was forced violently to the outside on the u-bends. If an adult like me found the u-bends rough, imagine what it must be like for a young child. I only had one go on this (car 5).

Crooked House
Not really a ride in my opinion, but Adventure Island class it as "a Mini Band ride". According to the web site, this is Adventure Island's oldest attraction. Furthermore that page states it's been renovated for 2011 with brand new UV scenes. I noticed it's quite dark in there, and the use of UV lighting. Obviously that, coupled with the bendy passage through the house made finding my way through difficult (I had to hold handrails). Furthermore when I left the house, I had the sudden shock of walking back into daylight. Quite frankly, I question the sensibility of the darkness and UV lighting in there. I've forgotten what it was like in there when I walked through there on my previous visit to Adventure Island, i.e. Summer Bash 2007, so can't compare it. Anyway, I only walked through here once.

Sk8boarda
A variation of the Zamperla Rock 'n' Tug (which I've ridden at various other parks), it swings and spins about a central pivot. One go at a time was enough, in fact this was my only go all day.

Dragon's Claw
This has six arms, with four seats at the end of each one facing inwards. The seat "spider" spins as it rises to an angle and flips over. In other words, a hair-raising thrill ride, hardly surprising it's a Big Adventure Band ride. I didn't find it that bad, I didn't scream at all, in fact I sang "Hard Rock Hallelujah" by Lordi (Eurovision Song Contest 2006 winner Finland). Even so, one go was enough (I think two goes would have made me sick or giddy).

By now the time was around 16:30 and I felt really tired, and a bit disorientated (probably due to spinning rides, and meandering between the closely placed rides in the park). I got myself a double espresso thinking that might wake me up a bit. Having finished my espresso, I went for a walk part way along the sea front in a westerly direction and back. Walking at high speed in a more-or-less straight direction helped. I returned to Adventure Island around 16:55 feeling somewhat better and continued as follows.

Lighthouse Slip
A helter skelter. When the Summer Bash was held here in 2007, this was closed due to the rain. This time I was able to go on it. I enjoyed two goes. The descent was quite fast.

Devil's Creek Goldmine
A train with tub carriages. The tubs are capable of spinning, and the attendant spun some riders as the train passed through the station. However I asked the attendant to leave mine alone as I didn't want to be spun really fast. I only had one go on this.

Kiddi-Koasta
Two more goes on Adventure Island's newest roller coaster, my second of which was in the back row. This time around I noticed the wavy bit towards the end, which gives a minute amount of AIRtime.

Ramba Zamba
A disko ride. Riders sit on a giant disk facing outwards. The disk spins as it travels a u-shaped track back and forth. A fun ride, but one go was enough for me.

Having left Ramba Zamba, I sat down for a few minutes. Suddenly I saw Barry, Derek and Alan. They headed for the Mighty Mini-Mega so I joined them.

Mighty Mini-Mega
Barry and I shared a row, Alan and Derek sat in the row immediately behind us. We only had one go on this.

Cow Jump
A small Miami style ride: it has a row of seats with a lap bar to hold you in, it goes sideways, up, sideways and down. However being a Junior Band ride, it's a rather gentle Miami-style ride. Put it this way, it's tame compared to Miami Wave at Butlins Skegness. It's themed around the nursery rhyme "Hey Diddle Diddle", which includes the line "The cow jumped over the moon". I only had one go on this.

When the ride ended, I still didn't feel ready for Scorpion, so fancied another go on Mighty Mini-Mega first.

Barnstormer
As it happened, due to the direction I walked across the park from Cow Jump, I ended up at Barnstormer, so I decided to have one go on Barnstormer, in the front row.

Scorpion
At last I felt ready for Scorpion. This features clusters of swinging cars hanging from the ends of arms. I got into a swinging car. When the ride began, the car cluster spun rapidly about its arm end, and the arm raised so all its cars were spinning on an angle. Due to centrifugal force arising from the car spinning rapidly about its arm end, I was unable to move my feet whilst the ride was in motion. To cap it all, the central unit spun too, which made for a hair-raising ride! I found the best way to minimise dizziness was to focus on a specific spot. One go was enough on this!

Lighthouse Slip
Two more goes on this helter skelter.

Pharaoh's Fury
My final non-coaster ride of the day, one more go on Pharaoh's Fury. When the ride ended, the attendant said "See you later", but I replied "I doubt it, I've got to leave to leave to catch my train home soon, and I want a couple rides on something else before leaving".

Mighty Mini-Mega
One more go on Mighty Mini-Mega. My final ride of the day in the west end of Adventure Island.

Rage
My final ride of the day: one go on Rage. Where better to end the day than where I began? In fact this was my only go on Rage outside this morning's ERS.

Cumulative Summary of My Rides (ERS and Free Time Combined)

Ride
Total
American Whip
1
Archelon
1
Barnstormer
2
Blackbeards All At Sea
1
Choo Choo Train
1
Cow Jump
1
Crooked House
1
Devil's Creek Goldmine
1
Dragon's Claw
1
Drop 'n' Smile
1
Fireball
1
Flying Jumbos
1
Green Scream
2
Kiddi-Koasta
3
Lighthouse Slip
4
Magic Monsters
1
Mighty Mini-Mega
3
Over The Hill
1
Pharaoh's Fury
2
Rage
4
Ramba Zamba
1
Scorpion
1
Sea Serpent blue
1
Sea Serpent red
1
Sk8boarda
1
SkyDrop
2
The Dragon
1
Viking Boats
1
Vortex
1
TOTAL
43

Journey Home
Having left Adventure Island for the final time at 18:50, I went to get fish and chips from the Chinese takeaway across the road (that happened to be the first place I saw selling fish and chips). Without further ado I walked back to Southend Victoria as quickly as possible. Having arrived, the 19:10 London Liverpool Street train was already there, so I got on and ate my fish and chips on the train. Upon reaching London Liverpool Street, I fancied an ice cream (as I'd not had one Southend), so I got myself a sundae from Burger King which I ate before transferring to Paddington on the Underground.

Just before 21:00 I was back at London Paddington, and had half an hour to go to the 21:30 train to Bath Spa. To fill time I got someone to photograph me coming down one of the escalators in the café / shopping section of Paddington station. After that I bought myself a cup of coffee from Upper Crust before joining the said train. Confusing announcements were made at Reading; I was initially led to believe I'd have to leave the train as it would not now be able to call at Bath, so I did, only to be told by someone else after it subsequently left it was going to call at Bath after all! Anyway I was able to complete my journey on the 23:02 Bristol Temple Meads train. I finally reached Bath Spa at 0:23, and home at 0:32 (later than I expected or wanted).

Outro

Highlights
Meeting members I'd met on previous Club trips again (including Barry, Big Stevie B, Derek, Julie, Alan and Saffron Eddy, Lucy Cosnett, Mary (Regatta) and Andy Knight, Matt Walker).
Coffee with britcitchris and Barry at Royals Shopping Centre around 9:30.
ERS on Rage.
High ride count the rest of the day.
Adding Kiddi-Koasta to my coaster count.

Lowlights
Feeling tired late afternoon.
Confusing information at Reading which resulted in disruption to my journey home.

Summing Up
On the whole another super Club trip, thank you Nev for organising it. A nice and straightforward little trip, i.e. ERS followed by riding the rest of the day. Just goes to show, we don't need someone talking to us about animals, or a treasure hunt style competition (with old coaster wheels up for grabs) to have a fun day out. It was great meeting other members again, including Andy and Mary (Regatta) Knight, Barry and the Eddy family. Furthermore it was my chance to add Kiddi-Koasta to my coaster count, and to re-ride the Park's four other coasters (Rage, Green Scream, Barnstormer, Mighty Mini-Mega) which I first rode at the Summer Bash 2007. Just one point about the Park's five coasters Rage, Green Scream, Barnstormer, Mighty Mini-Mega and Kiddi-Koasta, they're all STEEL. Come on Adventure Island, get some WOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment